Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just listened to the single and the live version they played on Fallon last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8PYdpzhTY0

It's not the most memorable song, but it's not their worst either or anything. It's good to hear (most of) the band back together, at least. They sound more like they used to and that's a good thing. Jimmy Chamberlin's drums loving rule. I wish they were more up front in the mix, though. They sound great in the live version, but it's more of a problem on the studio version. And man, Billy Corgan's vocals sound loving horrible on this live version :barf: But James Iha owns here. And here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRV1n00iga0

I largely tuned out of Pumpkins releases after Zeitgeist. I heard Oceania and Monuments to an Elegy once each probably and don't remember much about them. Never felt the urge to listen to them again.

I legitimately think Zeitgeist was pretty good, though, and I still regularly listen to a handful of tracks from it (like United States and Bring The Light).

I saw them at a festival in '07 on their Zeitgeist tour, too, which was pretty awesome:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This obnoxious album title is cracking me the gently caress up lmao

Let's see how the album is...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Framboise posted:

It's... okay. The singles are definitely the standout bits, despite their flaws. The rest feels rather half baked. Not bad, but I feel like this could have been far better with a) more time and b) a better producer.
Pretty much this, although I think Marchin' On is better than all the singles and more closely captures the energy of old Pumpkins.

Mostly it feels like any number of bands could have put out some of these songs, though. Like for example: Silversun Pickups, who can oftentimes straight up sound like a Smashing Pumpkins tribute band, have put out songs like these but more interesting. Listening to this, I found myself wishing I was listening to a new Silversun Pickups album instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Framboise posted:

I can safely say I like this more than any other post 2000 album. It'll definitely be in rotation for me.
I still prefer Zeitgeist over this any day v:shobon:v

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Framboise posted:

I will have to listen to Zeitgeist again someday. As it was, it was the only album I struggled to get through and didn't really enjoy in some way at all.
IMO it has a lot of energy on it that this album doesn't have aside from Marchin' On.

The rest of the tracks are pretty forgettable. I feel like Marchin' On is the only song I'll be talking about from this album years from now.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1064740652636884993

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Astrochicken posted:

This album made me go back and give Zeitgeist another chance.
It rules, right?!

Like, give me this over the majority of the new album any day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p24om3pVaNE