Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

What's your intended purpose for the bed? Do you intend to haul a load with it old school style? Is it just for appearances?

Also what is your climate? I know here in Vegas fiberglass tends to go to hell after a few years in the sun. I assume you aren't in the desert since you mentioned a farm and moving to a nearby city. That and you already went with a fiberglass cab apparently, but I thought it would be good to ask.

My situation was very different because I had a set of requirements a good deal outside of normal for what I wanted as the end result.

You need to make the choice of what will serve your needs versus the price you pay. Will the fiberglass meet your requirements for what you want to use it for? Are you sure about that? If so go with fiberglass. If not then then does the aluminum? Can you use a steel or aluminum tailgate on the fiberglass bed?

Welcome to cost/benefit analysis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

At this point i would think the options are the aluminum bed or a bunch of sheet metal tools and a welder.

I pretty much agree with this.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

It is damaging my thought proccess looking at a bed that's not ribbed. It just feels totally wrong.

That said, cool poo poo man!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

And here's the point where I mention my folks paid the bulk of the cost of the fiberglass.

So no, everdave, I am not really into it for 70k personally, but that much has probably been spent on it since I acquired it. Keep in mind that's CAD and includes rough estimates polled from memory. Fiberglass for it ran about $20k total, mostly paid for by my folks, if I'm remember the cost of the tub right. The new bed was another $5700. Truck was $11,500. We're halfway there already and I haven't included the seat reupholstery, gauge cluster, every external light, new seatbelts, shop supplies (por15, grinding wheels, paint, literal shitloads of stainless steel metric bolts), etc, etc.

Honestly, thinking about it, it might be closer to 60k than 70k but I'd have to tally things up to figure out the actual total and I ain't doing that. I don't have receipts for all the bolts and misc hardware and given how I spend about $100 every time I go to the industrial supply, that's probably over $1k.

I've had this truck for 7 years now, I've had time to blow money on it.

I am keeping full totals for everything, and trust me when I say you may not be better off doing so!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Look on the bright side man, you are in way, way less than I am on my project and it's a lot closer to done!

Honestly it looks great! I would love something like this for a project down the road.

• Locked thread