Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty deece fight. Not an all-time series great, but reassuringly solid. Shows they can make Trans-Am look good, too, which is pretty important (and means that Riku’s trump card will still allow for more interesting and varied action than Build Knuckle or Jigen Haoh spam).
Yeah, they actually animated the Trans-Am sequence so that it wasn't just ":effort: gently caress it, abuse the drag tool in Photoshop", and gave it some life.

Also, I am totally on board with Patrick becoming a recurring background event in the show, just popping up from time to time doing random things away from the main cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it won't be the case and she'll be the AI spirit of all gunpla or something, but I kinda hope the twist with Sarah is that she's actually just like a 6 year old or something, and that's it.

I also choose to interpret all of these Wing references as hinting at Frozen Teardrop.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sarah better be reiji's kid

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I haven't seen anything to suggest that this is even taking place in the same universe as GBF. It would be weird for them to spend hojillions of dollars developing magical particles that can make plastic move for gunpla battles and then just replace it with a video game instead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

I haven't seen anything to suggest that this is even taking place in the same universe as GBF. It would be weird for them to spend hojillions of dollars developing magical particles that can make plastic move for gunpla battles and then just replace it with a video game instead.

Video game side lets you gunpla battle with people across the world and have easy PVE stuff. It makes sense as a side content kind of business

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Video game side lets you gunpla battle with people across the world and have easy PVE stuff. It makes sense as a side content kind of business

Nothing stopped the Plavsky system from working as a remote system with simulated Gunpla.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gunpla Battle in GBF already had PVE stuff; that's what the G-Savior appearance was and that's what the infamous Mega Size Zaku were.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BreaK bOOst iS aPPlied

Y/N

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Episode 2 continues pushing my buttons to keep watching.

So on to my rambling review.

A recap on the previous ep's tutorial mission. Riku notes that he only took out 1. I guess the berserk undead Leo doesn't count.
Recruitment foiled again. While I respect persistence, at this point she'll just become annoying with her inability to take 'no' for an answer. Counter-recruitment can't come fast enough.

Incidentally. "A cat-like Haro!" Bandai's making one. So it won't just be an obvious distraction at some point.

Login, no naked time which is fine with me. Also, mystery girl shows up again. Has she been wandering around the lobby all day?
'Oops, our MMO became sentient' hints are back. I'm pretty sure she didn't have an actual name until she needed one. Hence her phrasing "Sarah?" as a question. Also, she refers to Magee as Onee-san. Is the AI responding to the actual player behind the avatar?
More mission-types. Flower-picking, pic-nics. This place really has everything and the kitchen-sink, with a frosting of Gunpla on top. Also not McDonalds.

My thought's during the palm-ride. "Did Riku just do a roll? Wouldn't the passengers fall....Oh, they did fall off. Heh."
Force battle exposition AKA, let's get a band together. Force battles give costumes, furniture etc. So guild bases are in?

The nebulous factor of 'build quality' is still in as an unlock-lock type on certain equipment. In this case a GN-drive using suit's Trans-Am. Though since Riku's 00 malfunctions within seconds of triggering it, it looks like the build quality sets how long/hard trans-am can be used rather than a binary 'yes-no' thing. That said, I'd try to cram a G-Gundam piece on my gunpla just for it's supermode. Gold is the superior bling-colour!

I don't have much to say for the flower field. People more versed in symbolism may make something of it, but for me it was just a scene with nothing that stood out.
A pair of Wild Oni appear! And scene cut.

Oh god, the shop lady makes the same motions and noises as the soccer-girl when she spots prey!

Everyone ganging up on Riku, thinking he's with ogre-man/the Doms, made me laugh. The smart thing would have been to retreat but that's the boring thing.
Break Decal? Mass Diver? Sarah shows similar response to it as she did with Trans-am, only worse, suggesting that it's too much for the Gunpla or something more sinister.

I'm not sure what Riku did to dodge those beams. Did he squeeze inbetween, or actually deflect the beams with his GN-drives? Not sure why he suddenly went on the offensive either. Just fighting off whoever rushed him before going back to observing had worked fine so far, and there was only the one Dom left.

A weird bit with the trans-am. After sacrificing his sword-gun as a decoy, it looked like Riku was right behind the GN-X with a beamsabre ready to strike. But then we get a lengthy cut of the 00 charging from way off. Perspective got a bit weird there. Also, as a result of Riku's build quality not being good enough, the 00-s drives broke down. Thus giving the reason for the future upgrades. Also we see one of the penalties of losing your gunpla. The 00 stands in the hangar with 'repairing'. I'm guessing this is a real time thing with the more damage sustained, the longer it takes to fix, premium repair-items aside.. (Got blown up, well might as well log-out right then or do something else at least. Or open up your wallet.)

How do those glasses work?

Preview: Who is that mysterious yet mysteriously handsome and gallant masked stranger coming to save the day? The one that uses an Age-2? It's totally the champion from the prologue.

Also, look there! A cat-like Haro!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It all sounds good on paper but I'm not watching until I'm completely certain building gunpla and puns/jokes about Gundam are back in.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

It all sounds good on paper but I'm not watching until I'm completely certain building gunpla and puns/jokes about Gundam are back in.

Good news, both of those things already happened.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ka0 posted:

The very first episode included an extensive building gunpla segment and both episodes have been rammed with so many Gundam references and callbacks that it would make the first series blush.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I didn't even know there was a thread already, but I have only one thing to say.

Caphi posted:

MM-Double-O Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

maninthesuit posted:

Preview: Who is that mysterious yet mysteriously handsome and gallant masked stranger coming to save the day? The one that uses an Age-2? It's totally the champion from the prologue.

Also, look there! A cat-like Haro!

I still think the best masked man scene in Gundam was Mika just walking up to McGillis and going "Oh. It's chocolate man."

Mikazuki might not have been a deep thinker, but he was very good at seeing direct solutions.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the fact that there’s a show basically set in The Gundam Base, a very real place I have visited in the past year, and also everyone is big into VR, the same year I played the Gundam VR game in Shinjuku.

I like the show so far, the dumb MMO jokes are great considering what a dead genre MMOs are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think MMOs have shrunk in player base for like the last 10 years so I can't see how they are dead by any stretch of the imagination.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well triple-A MMOs as a genre is dead, and in their place a shambling horde of f2p games rose from their grave

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unless your name is World of Warcraft, in which case you are absurdly long-lived juggernaut of an otherwise dead genre.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Unless your name is World of Warcraft, in which case you are absurdly long-lived juggernaut of an otherwise dead genre.

FFXIV has millions of subs and likely has nearly as many or as many as WoW. Traditional subscription MMOs are nowhere near dead. They might not be a vibrant genre in terms of new blood, but that's mostly because the existing ones are so well-entrenched that people got tired of wasting millions of dollars trying to topple them. The existing ones are doing extremely well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The genre's been dead since City of Heroes went down, don't @ me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kanos posted:

FFXIV has millions of subs and likely has nearly as many or as many as WoW. Traditional subscription MMOs are nowhere near dead. They might not be a vibrant genre in terms of new blood, but that's mostly because the existing ones are so well-entrenched that people got tired of wasting millions of dollars trying to topple them. The existing ones are doing extremely well.

FFXIV has never topped a million active players at any given time so that means that at best it's a tenth of WoW's numbers. The lowest WoW has ever been since Vanilla is 5 million active subscribers which if you think about it is a mind boggling amount of people playing WoW in 2016 (with a climb to 10m when Legion released). In any case, a number between 5m-10m still play one MMO and there's a million niche F2P MMOs and other random poo poo that's never localized here so MMO jokes are still relevant and alive in tyool 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How many players does Elder Tales have these days?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well it looks like Nanami isn't Mackee like some people thought, considering she was off playing dress-up with Momoka.

Kanos posted:

Yeah, but you're not exactly seeing any studios rushing to make new ones. Most were only chasing WoW (not to say they were necessarily bad by any means), but often just didn't have a long-term plan beyond "do what WoW did, but with X" and died out once interest waned.

They're also kind of a terrible format for studios that aren't multi-team mega-studios like Blizzard or Square-Enix to chase anyway, because they will kill that studio. There is no viable exit strategy from supporting a dying playerbase dropping their subscription income and still paying for server/network, because there's quite possibly no money to farm into producing something else. Especially when all the really creative staff bailed months/years ago rather than be stuck working on the same game for the foreseeable future.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but you're not exactly seeing any studios rushing to make new ones. Most were only chasing WoW (not to say they were necessarily bad by any means), but often just didn't have a long-term plan beyond "do what WoW did, but with X" and died out once interest waned.

They're also kind of a terrible format for studios that aren't multi-team mega-studios like Blizzard or Square-Enix to chase anyway, because they will kill that studio. There is no viable exit strategy from supporting a dying playerbase dropping their subscription income and still paying for server/network, because there's quite possibly no money to farm into producing something else. Especially when all the really creative staff bailed months/years ago rather than be stuck working on the same game for the foreseeable future.

I mean, that's what my second and third sentence was about. For a while studios lined up to challenge World of Warcraft and got murdered like rent-a-ninjas in a cheap 80s action movie and eventually companies got tired of bankrupting themselves trying to compete. The very nature of the MMO genre is that when people get into an MMO they tend to stick with that MMO and it's nearly impossible to uproot them, especially since content is the lifeblood of MMOs and no new MMO can possibly match the content of an established one. Plus you have a whole lot of ancillary factors like the social aspect(even if you convince one player that your new MMO is better than his old one, he might not want to move unless his friends all move) and sunk cost(even if your new MMO is super radical a player who has literal years of investment into another MMO might not want to give that up) that mean that compared to basically every other genre it's hard to churn players to new products.

People gave up trying to dethrone the king but the genre is still quite vibrant in terms of people playing them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The subscription mmo genre is considered "dead" because no new games of that kind are being made because there's no money in trying to carve up a piece of that deeply entrenched market share. Games in the genre are alive and will stay alive because of the stubborn nature of their design and player retention.

Space sims were considered dead for a decade but people were still playing and modding Freespace 2, the Good Space Sim, during that time. And indies in the genre were still being produced too. But the genre was still considered "dead" by the public, and industry, at large, because the term is descriptive rather than literal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xarbala posted:

The subscription mmo genre is considered "dead" because no new games of that kind are being made because there's no money in trying to carve up a piece of that deeply entrenched market share. Games in the genre are alive and will stay alive because of the stubborn nature of their design and player retention.

Space sims were considered dead for a decade but people were still playing and modding Freespace 2, the Good Space Sim, during that time. And indies in the genre were still being produced too. But the genre was still considered "dead" by the public, and industry, at large, because the term is descriptive rather than literal.

Yeah but the whole discussion started because somebody was surprised how much MMO humor from a "dead" genre they've slipped in but there's still tons and tons of people playing traditional subscription MMOs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, the idea of really big cultural-phenomena super mmos like you see in anime does seem pretty laughable in this day and age, VR or no.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xarbala posted:

To be fair, the idea of really big cultural-phenomena super mmos like you see in anime does seem pretty laughable in this day and age, VR or no.

Not quite. Those kinds of "super-MMO's" generally aren't just headset-and-glove/wand VR stuff, they tend to be the upload/download-your-mind kind while your body sits vacant and your copied personality goes running about in a full virtual world.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite. Those kinds of "super-MMO's" generally aren't just headset-and-glove/wand VR stuff, they tend to be the upload/download-your-mind kind while your body sits vacant and your copied personality goes running about in a full virtual world.

Yeah but imagine the cost.

Like the singularity, it's an extremely bougie nerd fantasy scenario

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Megahit MMO Sword Art Online with an amazing launch playerbase of 10k people.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Pretty sure they mention in the prologue that this is the 17th tournament. Which feels like enough time for something to get entrenched in a culture. With new fans coming in to replace the old. Tie that in with real world products and established franchise spanning decades and it's not hard to believe.

As for the show it looks fun but mediocre with too much heavy handed "I feel the need to say how much I love gunpla!" With the protagonist being super good right out the gate is disappointing but better than the first two seasons of borderline cheating and martial arts voodoo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

As for the show it looks fun but mediocre with too much heavy handed "I feel the need to say how much I love gunpla!" With the protagonist being super good right out the gate is disappointing but better than the first two seasons of borderline cheating and martial arts voodoo.

I wouldn't say he's good out of the gate. He's competent, but still learning things like how to build a Gunpla well enough that it won't cook itself every time it engages Trans-Am. Or learning all the various ins-and-outs of the missions and general combat.

Not to mention that the Ogre completely wrecked his poo poo until Sarah stopped the fight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bloody Pom posted:

This show is making me wish there was an actual MMO that used RF-enabled gunpla as avatars, it'd give me an incentive to start collecting them again.

Oh no. :shepspends:

Well at least the Gundam Breaker games are fun, and fill a somewhat similar niche(and we're getting one released here in the US in June)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Pretty sure they mention in the prologue that this is the 17th tournament. Which feels like enough time for something to get entrenched in a culture. With new fans coming in to replace the old. Tie that in with real world products and established franchise spanning decades and it's not hard to believe.

He's had a few noteworthy tricks and is obviously talented but the fights we've seen him in are 1. against training dummy bots, 2. against someone so pathetic that they trick raw-rear end newbies into pvp flagging so that they can gank them by surprise, and 3. against an actual fighter where he lost because his gunpla blew itself up because it wasn't good enough.

Also, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Riku is being written as having a basic level of competence so they don't need to spend a ton of time before he can plausibly actually compete. Their team has four other members in the OP alone right now(Yuuki, Momoka, Ninja Girl, Elf Guy) who may or may not get a reasonable amount of screen time, plus whatever rivals and opponents they decide to introduce besides Ogre and fat kid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

He's had a few noteworthy tricks and is obviously talented but the fights we've seen him in are 1. against training dummy bots, 2. against someone so pathetic that they trick raw-rear end newbies into pvp flagging so that they can gank them by surprise, and 3. against an actual fighter where he lost because his gunpla blew itself up because it wasn't good enough.

Also, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Riku is being written as having a basic level of competence so they don't need to spend a ton of time before he can plausibly actually compete. Their team has four other members in the OP alone right now(Yuuki, Momoka, Ninja Girl, Elf Guy) who may or may not get a reasonable amount of screen time, plus whatever rivals and opponents they decide to introduce besides Ogre and fat kid.

I mean, I’m not going to totally rule out Ogre becoming a team member (possibly with his little buddy along for comic relief). The ending scenes in particular seemed to imply that he was pretty much right about what Riku wanted from Gunpla Battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It looks like Ogre's got his own squad in the OP so I'm wagering he'll just be a recurring rival/frienemy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

That's about what I figure too. One thing Build Fighters was very good at, and hopefully will be the case with Build Divers, was just letting other characters have a fight without dragging the lead protagonist in because reasons. Some of the best fights had Sei and Reiji doing little more than cheering from the stands.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Did I watch a different show? Cause the only reason he lost was because trans-am broke his machine. Which is a sign of poor building not bad piloting. Ogre, someone established as really good who is either high ranking or on his way, would have lost if it went on or Riku hadn't flown so far away to start his charge. The Ogre only really goes after him once he sees Riku do that akward dodge.

Right now it looks like Riku is being held back by his machine more than a lack of skill. Which the other shows had a better power curve for the protagonists. Reji had to play like 200 matches against Ricardo in a ball before "bringing out the full potential" of Sei's gunpla. And Sekai trained throughout the show and with his build burning to get on others level.

Looks like next episode with the masked diver could realign the skill curve and give Riku something to shoot for. But as it stands I'd rather see that GM go all war in the pocket against some zakus.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Did I watch a different show? Cause the only reason he lost was because trans-am broke his machine. Which is a sign of poor building not bad piloting. Ogre, someone established as really good who is either high ranking or on his way, would have lost if it went on or Riku hadn't flown so far away to start his charge. The Ogre only really goes after him once he sees Riku do that akward dodge.

Right now it looks like Riku is being held back by his machine more than a lack of skill. Which the other shows had a better power curve for the protagonists. Reji had to play like 200 matches against Ricardo in a ball before "bringing out the full potential" of Sei's gunpla. And Sekai trained throughout the show and with his build burning to get on others level.

Looks like next episode with the masked diver could realign the skill curve and give Riku something to shoot for. But as it stands I'd rather see that GM go all war in the pocket against some zakus.

Honestly, while I started to come around on the series with episode 2 - or at least be willing to give it a chance - 0 and 1 reminded me far more of Try, or just generic shounen, than the original, and it wasn't a good thing. Having the champion seem to win solely because he possesses an idiotically powerful super suit was incredibly disappointing - sure Yuuji tended to get really nice suits, but he also actually had a sense of tactics, and used them. The extent of tactics on display by this idiot was "let's split the party and see what happens." :downs:

Episode 1 didn't really help matters, with Rikku being introduced as a type of character I absolutely hate - incredibly gullible idiot who just so happens to be super-skilled at something he's never done before for no given reason (shockingly, I also can't stand most shounen these days either). Hell, as bad as Try was at least there was a given reason why Sekai was magically good at it. Not terribly happy with the clothes either, with our two introduced protagonists wearing the most generic of generic fantasy RPG clothing. Which, when everyone else is either wearing some variety of Gundam-related clothing - or some really eccentric fantasy outfit - is incredibly dull to see.

For whatever reason (and rewatching I'm having trouble putting my finger on it), Episode 2 did something right enough that I'm willing to at least continue until we get our main cast filled out. Momo's been pretty fun in her brief appearances so far, so actually properly joining the cast might help.

Lurking Haro posted:

Megahit MMO Sword Art Online with an amazing launch playerbase of 10k people.

If you actually look at the setting, SAO was never supposed to be some megahit or something (even ignoring the dev's actual goals). It was simply the first game that took full advantage of the capabilities of the VR system. Sure it, or more accurately the NerveGear, was a massive technological achievement and thus would be featured in tech publications, but in terms of the general public they'd be far less known - especially outside Japan. Hell, the NerveGear itself was still basically a limited release, so any game by default would be as well.

It'd be like making a fully immersive game for some souped up Oculus Rift - it might be the most technological marvel in the world, but the actual impact on the public at large, or even the gaming community in particular, would be minimal other than some initial bleedover hype. I mean, you're seeing the story through the eyes of a super geek who happened to get his hands on stuff due to where he lived - step back from his PoV for a moment and, had the situation not become as it did, it would have been an interesting tech demo at most, remembered just for being the first game of its type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Ogre is specifically introduced by Magee as "An up-and-coming fighter. He's determined to defeat the champion, and his skill and rank are improving." He's not a high ranked super pro, he's a tryhard who is working his way up the ladder. As for the fight itself, I just rewatched it to confirm, and Ogre is kicking the poo poo out of him even after Riku uses Trans-Am until Riku sacrifices his primary weapon in order to buy a moment to slip away, at which point Riku starts a frontal charge directly into Ogre's prepared face before his gunpla overloads(he crashes directly in front of Ogre). Riku has some good moves but there's absolutely no point at which he could be construed to be winning the fight.

Reiji, a complete goddamn newbie who has no loving clue what Gunpla even is at that point, was able to singlehandedly whoop the poo poo out of a bunch of gunpla otaku in the bar scene while deliberately handicapping himself in the most ludicrous way possible and then he was able to go pound for pound with Ricardo Fellini, who is a world class gunpla champion who placed in the finals of the world tournament, enough so that Ricardo found fighting him to be engaging and entertaining. That's way more of a bullshit asspull of skill than anything Riku has done so far.

• Locked thread