Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, GBD, the whole speech about all these things Sarah has done for everyone might work better if she'd actually done any of them. Pretty sure literally all those things they say she did were actually done by Riku, Momo and Yukki, with zero involvement from her beyond standing in the background while smiling blankly.

Also you don't do a good job of selling the protagonist's growing competence when he needs a rival and Sarah's bugs helping him to even hold his own against the main antagonist.
With how much this show has been humping Riku so far they could have just said "Oh RIku is the best and he never gave up on us either so we won't give up on Sarah in return" Its not a lot better but at least would fit with what the show showed us...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

You also don't do a godo job of selling the main antagonist's absolute power when he can't actually kill anyone.

And he wants the protagonist to succeed! When they went all super expressive screaming during the fight, it made no sense because the Champ wasn't actually emotionally invested in the outcome. It seemed like he set the whole thing up to test Riku? All he wanted as to see if Riku was strong enough to win the fight.

Meanwhile, Rommel actually made an emotional argument about why he cared more about saving GBN than Sara, and the Administrator wanted to destroy Sara the whole time because preserving GBN was his job. Why weren't either of them the final foe?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

And he wants the protagonist to succeed! When they went all super expressive screaming during the fight, it made no sense because the Champ wasn't actually emotionally invested in the outcome. It seemed like he set the whole thing up to test Riku? All he wanted as to see if Riku was strong enough to win the fight.

Meanwhile, Rommel actually made an emotional argument about why he cared more about saving GBN than Sara, and the Administrator wanted to destroy Sara the whole time because preserving GBN was his job. Why weren't either of them the final foe?

I expected the Admin to kidnap or backstab delete Sarah, but then I remembered this is Build Divers.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fights in general have been such a letdown. So much of it is just yelling, blindly swinging swords at one another and then just doing a stock special move. You don't get any of the creative poo poo that happened in BF. at least with that show they knew that that build knuckle was just the finisher.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lurking Haro posted:

I expected the Admin to kidnap or backstab delete Sarah, but then I remembered this is Build Divers.

He tried, but GBN is so badly coded that a simple user can actually out-rank an admin and stop them from doing their job.

This is pretty lovely programming, guys. Under no circumstances should this happen, but this is actually a GBN feature. It's a wonder this thing even works.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The execs at bandai/sunrise thought the problem with Sei wasnt that he was always the one that got all the focus on the fights, it was that he had a personality and corrected their fault in Drivers.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

He tried, but GBN is so badly coded that a simple user can actually out-rank an admin and stop them from doing their job.

This is pretty lovely programming, guys. Under no circumstances should this happen, but this is actually a GBN feature. It's a wonder this thing even works.

Hey, it was programmed by a bird with a beer belly after all, what do you expect?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Monaghan posted:

The fights in general have been such a letdown. So much of it is just yelling, blindly swinging swords at one another and then just doing a stock special move. You don't get any of the creative poo poo that happened in BF. at least with that show they knew that that build knuckle was just the finisher.

Nothing could redeem this show. But having Rommel roadblock Riku and the rest at every stage with strategy, traps, exploiting knowledge of the enemy (like mine the water ways with cute penguin shaped mines or obvious misdirected signs to confuse Momo's gullibility and love of penguins.) (Send i-field equipped melee suits after Yuki.) Like really show up how a Grimoire got to second place among gundams (and a Mobius zero). Give us something besides special move and recycled footage. Then have Kurt give the "thanks for thinking of me. But I don't want to kill a little girl." And boom final boss is a bug infected game dev or the beer belly mullet bird pulls an 'i only pretended to care but I'm actually evil and will sell/enslave Sara.' ending on a high note instead of an AGE note. I'd also have ogre show up and attack everyone to keep him consistent instead of the B's excuse he gave.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The execs at bandai/sunrise thought the problem with Sei wasnt that he was always the one that got all the focus on the fights, it was that he had a personality and corrected their fault in Drivers.

The first issue they had to deal with was the writers positioning a girl as main character, they rectified that. The second thing was the danger of Sei developing a purpose to have gunpla battles, they switfly addressed that by removing all stakes, the 3rd and final issue was Sei being interesting or unique, they destroyed that by nulling the whole "assimilation" plot point. You don't gently caress up Try and now Divers on accident you do it on purpose by hiring the right crew for the job.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ka0 posted:

The first issue they had to deal with was the writers positioning a girl as main character, they rectified that. The second thing was the danger of Sei developing a purpose to have gunpla battles, they switfly addressed that by removing all stakes, the 3rd and final issue was Sei being interesting or unique, they destroyed that by nulling the whole "assimilation" plot point. You don't gently caress up Try and now Divers on accident you do it on purpose by hiring the right crew for the job.

It says a lot that your brain can't even remember sekai's name.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caros posted:

It's because, in comparison to Riku, even Sekai looks like Sei.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not like Sei was that much of a character. He just was vaguely likable and bounced off Reiji in a reasonably entertaining way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the craziest thing about the entire Build franchise, it's not like the first one was Ghostbusters. It wasn't lightning in a bottle perfection. It was just competently made.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's the craziest thing about the entire Build franchise, it's not like the first one was Ghostbusters. It wasn't lightning in a bottle perfection. It was just competently made.

Try isn't that crazy. I mean, people assumed Build Fighters would suck going in, and Try falling for a lot of the mistakes the original narrowly ducked when the staff changed makes some sense. But Divers is just...

It's terrible. Boring fights, nothing characters, nothing plot, bad music. It's not well tailored to the market, but it also feels like most of the people involved didn't give a gently caress.

Well, at least it explains where they put the beam spam IBO didn't use.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Caros posted:

It does. I only just realized I was thinking of "that dude with red hair... Mirai's brother.." it's incredible.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

chiasaur11 posted:

Try isn't that crazy. I mean, people assumed Build Fighters would suck going in, and Try falling for a lot of the mistakes the original narrowly ducked when the staff changed makes some sense. But Divers is just...

Now that you mention it, Try and Divers are basically what I was expecting BF to be before it came out. Except they don't push gunpla sales hard enough, BF did that better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

It's terrible. Boring fights, nothing characters, nothing plot, bad music. It's not well tailored to the market, but it also feels like most of the people involved didn't give a gently caress.

Well, at least it explains where they put the beam spam IBO didn't use.

Given the relative level of detail put into the whole Sarah/MMO plot, I still reckon the writer or director came onboard with their own pet MMO story and was determined to get it in the spotlight regardless of whatever franchise they had to work around. The Gunpla design is pretty great, but the story does everything it can to dodge the usual mid-season upgrades for anyone that isn't Riku and Yukki as well as anything actually Gundam-related. The only reason the Ogre has an upgrade is so they can go "ooh, he's gotten stronger too!" for the big final battle and, while that's a valid reason for any other show, if he wasn't being used as the foil for Riku at the final stretch he'd still be trucking about with his old Gunpla.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Oh yah, and it's not nuanced thing with a big plan behind it, it's literally just.

1. Transfer Sarah to old system.
2. Download to figurerise Sarah (TM)*
3. ?????????
4. Profit

Well god drat, it's not a figurerise, it's actually an HGBD for some reason but it's actually coming.

"HGBD Mobile Doll Sarah" has been announced and is already available for preorder if you have a brain tumor and 25 bux.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Well god drat, it's not a figurerise, it's actually an HGBD for some reason but it's actually coming.

"HGBD Mobile Doll Sarah" has been announced and is already available for preorder if you have a brain tumor and 25 bux.

It's probably a kit of the little plastic doll body Koichi made. It's not really too surprising, it's probably just using the Fumina kit template.

Really it's more surprising that the Nanami one was a figurise rather than a Fumina-esque kit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku

Bang bang bang uh oh the boss is regenerating and stuff

Bang bang bang yup it's still doing that

Bang bang bang

Hey guys admin here, we finally figured out how to patch our stupid loving game, by the way it's missiles and we have to fire it at the boss because that's how games work, right?

Bang bang bang hey it's working but this is still a lot to animate, hey Riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku, I the still undisputed champion of the game will turn my entire gunpla into energy because that's apparently a thing somehow and you, up and coming scrub riku riku riku, can use me, the undisputed champion, as a weapon because we already have an animation for that

Bang hooray every super boss in the entire game world is dead

Okay sarah lets download you

Hey it worked, you're a creepy tiny doll now and hey you also work outside of the special machine somehow, don't think about it kids!

Hey look it's those 4 real life adults that are the easiest to draw and definitely not rommel because then we would have to follow through on a thread that might actually be interesting

Hey sarah I'm sorry I the champion tried to get you killed

That's ok I don't mind because I don't have feelings

Hey everyone lets go back to gbn for the final scene so we dont have to draw anymore new stuff

Hey sarah what are you doing in that gunpla get out of there, we're not gonna animate that thing any longer than we have to

THE END SUDDENLY gently caress YOU

There, now you don't have to watch the final episode

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm so very glad I stopped watching the show before they hunted down the hacker. It was around the ninja girl's heel turn which would also lead to another, more pure, heel turn.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That ending in the real world was pretty cute considering all the noncharacters this show has.
But everything to do with Sarah this episode just gave me massive creepy vibes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

That ending in the real world was pretty cute considering all the noncharacters this show has.
But everything to do with Sarah this episode just gave me massive creepy vibes.

Let's never talk about the transfer sequence. Ever :barf:

Also if the plan from the start was for Sarah to be able to walk around in the real world instead of using a GPD console as a terrarium, why the gently caress did they make her HG-scale :psyduck:. Magee's Gunpla Bar was infinitely more interesting for the brief screentime it gets than anything from the main plot and could've made for a great secondary hangout location throughout the series. But, well, GBD.

RillAkBea posted:

Hey sarah what are you doing in that gunpla get out of there, we're not gonna animate that thing any longer than we have to

Sarah probably shouldn't be able to go back into GBN again, ever, because that just starts the problem all over again. due to her still being an Electronic Lifeform sitting on the same processes she was before. Not to mention they patched the poo poo out of the game code to fix all the floating point variables she ran on anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There was more love for Gundam in the bar scene alone than there was in the entire loving series. If we had that as a normal thing, maybe, just maybe, we could've had a series with the slightest amount of heart. Too little, WAY too late.

I'm so glad this horrible series where everyone's a Pokemon that can only say "Riku" and nothing of interest ever happens is over. I'll skip the next Build series, it's more than clear by this point that GBF is not happening again and these will only get worse.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

Riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku

Bang bang bang uh oh the boss is regenerating and stuff

Bang bang bang yup it's still doing that

Bang bang bang

Hey guys admin here, we finally figured out how to patch our stupid loving game, by the way it's missiles and we have to fire it at the boss because that's how games work, right?

Bang bang bang hey it's working but this is still a lot to animate, hey Riku riku riku riku riku riku riku riku, I the still undisputed champion of the game will turn my entire gunpla into energy because that's apparently a thing somehow and you, up and coming scrub riku riku riku, can use me, the undisputed champion, as a weapon because we already have an animation for that

Bang hooray every super boss in the entire game world is dead

Okay sarah lets download you

Hey it worked, you're a creepy tiny doll now and hey you also work outside of the special machine somehow, don't think about it kids!

Hey look it's those 4 real life adults that are the easiest to draw and definitely not rommel because then we would have to follow through on a thread that might actually be interesting

Hey sarah I'm sorry I the champion tried to get you killed

That's ok I don't mind because I don't have feelings

Hey everyone lets go back to gbn for the final scene so we dont have to draw anymore new stuff

THE END SUDDENLY gently caress YOU

There, now you don't have to watch the final episode

An entertaining summary of a boring ep.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

No one can ever badmouth Try after this.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

Try had Gunpla fights in every episode, had a simple story of competing in a championship without space magic or sentient AI, and best of all 2 Ramba Ral themed kits came out of it. In retrospect not as bad as it could've been.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yeah no. This was actually watcheable unlike try. Still not good, but try still sucks poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Was this series lovely enough that we're willing to fight each other over which series was worse? Seriously?

Both Try and Divers were awful and neither deserve to be on even the same sentence as the original Build Fighters. No more debate is needed. Build was the kind of thing that should've been one series and that's it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Artum posted:

Yeah no. This was actually watcheable unlike try. Still not good, but try still sucks poo poo.

Divers at least had a story to tell and told it coherently. Even if it was stupid in the end. Try couldn't get past "make Sekai look cool at the expense of literally everything else". Try is still terrible while Divers is just severely mediocre.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's not like Build Fighters was something revolutionary or truly unique, nor was it some glorious art piece; it was a competently done sports show using toy robots as a medium with an endearing cast and solid fight choreography. You can definitely do that more than once. Hell, Try and Divers both have a few isolated really fun and good episodes that prove that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will admit, I let out a little cheer when Patrick showed up at the end to save the day. This was a good finale. It fit the show well, everybody was friends and got along, so a finale where everybody gets together and everybody gets one shot of animation doing a thing and then the bad guy is defeated. Then they're all friends IRL too. I actually enjoyed it, for the most part. Which is kind of annoying. Considering how bad the show was it feels like a dick move to end on a decent episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Help me out, is there any way other than the obvious to interpret this line?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Try had Meijin Kawaguchi and Tryon 3

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Help me out, is there any way other than the obvious to interpret this line?

He's teasing them because he's flamboyant. It's a joke, not actually gay sex.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Try had Meijin Kawaguchi and Tryon 3

Try was also animated and people said words besides sekai. Divers used Riku as punctuation or a form of breathing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sazabi posted:

He's teasing them because he's flamboyant. It's a joke, not actually gay sex.

Oh no, they definitely had sex. I'm just wondering if that was supposed to be a double entendre or anything other than just yeah they had sex. It's not like Gundam has never had LGBT representation before, but it was always way less blatant than that

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Wait, are people surprised McGee is gay?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Wait, are people surprised McGee is gay?

In this thread no. The 4 year old kids in Japan who also watched it. Maybe?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

It seemed P obvious to me that he was flown in to Shahryar to spend some sugerdaddy time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

jackhunter64 posted:

This single episode was more fun than literally anything in Try, Sorry.

That Sarah Gundam looked alot like Angelan from Virtual On. a shame that it won't get a kit and instead we get the loving doll garbage.

• Locked thread