Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

You know, a thought occurs that Magee was actually kind of prescient when asking the kids if they hated GBN after their first outing. Except for Sarah, Magee, and now Kyoya, every single person they've met in GBN has either tried to scam them, beat them up, or scam them and then beat them up.

It really does seem to be a terribly broken game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boy there suuuuuuuuuure are a lot of Wing suits showing up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Boy there suuuuuuuuuure are a lot of Wing suits showing up.

Uh... Where? So far we've seen OYW suits, AGE suits, 00 suits, and a G-Self Suit. The only Wing designs have been the NPD Leo's, which are explicitly a generic NPC enemy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... Where? So far we've seen OYW suits, AGE suits, 00 suits, and a G-Self Suit. The only Wing designs have been the NPD Leo's, which are explicitly a generic NPC enemy.

There's also images of the Tallgeese and Epyon in the description of the game mode, but yeah. Not that much Wing so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The drones looked like Virgos to me, or at least based on them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

You need more G Gundam in your life.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

Those are all explicitly the various Death Army grunts from G Gundam. Death Armies, Death Birdies, and Death Navies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

Those are all explicitly the various Death Army grunts from G Gundam. Death Armies, Death Birdies, and Death Navies.

Ah, yes. The three branches of the armed forces. The Army, the Navy, and the Birdie.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
These guys aren't going to get through a single mission without some scammer or hacker showing up, huh?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paragon1 posted:

These guys aren't going to get through a single mission without some scammer or hacker showing up, huh?

They're a decent generic threat for the time being; They aren't completely broken, and give the protagonists something to practice against before the inevitable tournament arc. That way the show can save the REAL brutally-strong antagonists/rivals for the latter half of the show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, as Neddy says it's a pretty okay way to give the protagonists some early fights that have some opponents that aren't AI bots to cut their teeth on without having to introduce joke rivals.

I imagine that once we start getting the team together the hacker subplot will start involving named villains that will stick around.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also images of the Tallgeese and Epyon in the description of the game mode, but yeah. Not that much Wing so far.

Isn't the wolf dude in the next episode paired up with a custom Altron in the OP?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

taichara posted:

Isn't the wolf dude in the next episode paired up with a custom Altron in the OP?

I'd have to double check, but I think it might be more of a Dragon Gundam custom

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I hope some main rival in the second half uses a custom Barbatos, as I have been deeply in love with its design since IBO came out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Overlord K posted:

I hope some main rival in the second half uses a custom Barbatos, as I have been deeply in love with its design since IBO came out.

Well going off the OP at least one character is going to be using a IBO suit, although it looks like it's going to be based on the Gusion Rebake instead of the Barbatos, at least going off silhouette and color scheme

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

paragon1 posted:

Well it's an MMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Well going off the OP at least one character is going to be using a IBO suit, although it looks like it's going to be based on the Gusion Rebake instead of the Barbatos, at least going off silhouette and color scheme

It has the butt-stored shield, so it's definitely a Gusion Rebake. It also has a bigass hammer that doubles as Big Nippers, and I loving want them to announce an HG kit for it already :argh:.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

You know, a thought occurs that Magee was actually kind of prescient when asking the kids if they hated GBN after their first outing. Except for Sarah, Magee, and now Kyoya, every single person they've met in GBN has either tried to scam them, beat them up, or scam them and then beat them up.

Beating each other up is kind of the main draw of the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Beating each other up is kind of the main draw of the game.

I dunno, they've presented the game as having a massive amount of random PVE poo poo to do and every time someone has shown up to try to beat them up it's while they've been out doing something in PVE and got scammed(fat kid), cheated(the dudes invading their fight in this mission) or ganked(Ogre and the Dom Trio including Riku in their fight). They've never gone looking to actually fight other people yet, they've just been attacked against their will repeatedly.

That and they're brand spanking newbies so it's kind of a dick move for people to pick on them.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Yeah just in terms of the game, an mmo where anyone can show up and interfere with you is pretty bad game play. Like I'd be pissed if me and my buds all built some custom Shidens to play in Tekkaden's last stand. Then strike freedom does a fly by and wipes the map with a dumb lightshow. I know they semi handwaved player invasions as a bug from that purple aura, Riku was dragged into that fight with ogre without any kinda dual challenge. Also why not ban or patch out this limit break steriod thing?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It has the butt-stored shield, so it's definitely a Gusion Rebake. It also has a bigass hammer that doubles as Big Nippers, and I loving want them to announce an HG kit for it already :argh:.

Same.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
*points at Devil Gundam*

and that, kids, is why you never trust client data!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Yeah just in terms of the game, an mmo where anyone can show up and interfere with you is pretty bad game play. Like I'd be pissed if me and my buds all built some custom Shidens to play in Tekkaden's last stand. Then strike freedom does a fly by and wipes the map with a dumb lightshow. I know they semi handwaved player invasions as a bug from that purple aura, Riku was dragged into that fight with ogre without any kinda dual challenge. Also why not ban or patch out this limit break steriod thing?

The Mass Diver thing is a comical self-own if you think about it because it basically states that Bandai-Namco could run a giant VR MMO and have it be such a mess that people could hack the game so hard that it literally causes the game itself to glitch out. It also implies that their moderation would be so lovely and slapdash that it would be commonplace for newbies to get preyed on constantly and it's up to the playerbase to self-police.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Considering the guys have to strap into to some big old chairs and put on the headset, bandai's mods and security must be insanely lax for someone to hack into it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wouldn't be surprised if they pull out the old cliche and reveal that there's a conspiracy inside GBN that is behind Mass Diving for some sinister purpose

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they pull out the old cliche and reveal that there's a conspiracy inside GBN that is behind Mass Diving for some sinister purpose
"Tired of Mass-Divers ganking you? Buy the Anti-Mass-Diver DLC now to remove their seeming invincibility!!" -Gunpla Battle Nexus Online Advertisement, 2018

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Considering that GBN has to scan customised Gunpla in a detailed enough way that customised weapons and the like work the way you meant them to, it makes sense that people could do stuff to their Gunpla that makes the system interpret it in a messed-up way and break the game. It's like the turtle that Google's object recognition thinks is a gun, but with Jegans.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Brb gonna paint a Leo in shiny reflective paint to convince GBN that its got the stats and abilities of the Turn A Gundam crossed with GaoGaiGar.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Considering that GBN has to scan customised Gunpla in a detailed enough way that customised weapons and the like work the way you meant them to, it makes sense that people could do stuff to their Gunpla that makes the system interpret it in a messed-up way and break the game. It's like the turtle that Google's object recognition thinks is a gun, but with Jegans.

I don't think it's quite like that. Considering in the past we've had: clear plastic = invisible bits, more shiny panels = rapid fire satellite cannon, and beam absorption = super saiyan.

This is more like slapping a stupid sticker on your gunpla and suddenly it's stats are doubled.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

1st Stage Midboss posted:

We see the Dom guy activate his Mass Diver cheats in mid-combat when he's already logged in. It looks like it's some kind of trainer or code injection that you run while already in the game rather than loving with the gunpla scanner.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Maybe if they built something stronger than a Jegan they wouldn't need a mass diver.

And the fat kid and those jegans talked about getting points. What does that do? Can you redeem them at a bandai store for more gunpla? Is the fake cyber McDonald's that expensive? Is it just exp to get new costumes? Was the fat kid that desperate for char goggles that he was willing to prey on newbies? Whatever it does I hope they devote 3-5 mins of the next episode to explaining it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Rank points. Beating other players gets you more rank points than pushing over a Leo, and stealing the kill on the final boss of a mission is faster points than playing the entire mission yourselves.

This is stuff that happens in real life MMOs, but swap rank points with PvP-points or items from a non-instanced boss. Hell, in real life MMOs, people do this stuff purely out of spite.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure exactly how a mmo without loot, levels or skills is supposed to work.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't they say that the points you earned you could use to buy clothing and furniture?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure exactly how a mmo without loot, levels or skills is supposed to work.

The big difference between this and existing MMOs is the whole issue of build quality. If there was some kind of significant in-game advancement gated behind winning fights, then little kids or people who aren't good at building models would be screwed.

By making the points limited to cosmetic stuff, people of all skill levels can enjoy the game, but there are still rewards and things to strive towards

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought the game did have loot? Like the weapons they were pulling out weren't part of the base model that was scanned but things they gained while playing? Or that's what I interpreted from a line Yuki said to Riku

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought the game did have loot? Like the weapons they were pulling out weren't part of the base model that was scanned but things they gained while playing? Or that's what I interpreted from a line Yuki said to Riku

They built their new weapons offscreen. As far as we've seen aside from the Mass Diver cheating your gunpla's power is tied to how well it's built before you scan it in. The loot in-game seems to be all cosmetic stuff like player avatars and accessories.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kanos posted:

We see the Dom guy activate his Mass Diver cheats in mid-combat when he's already logged in. It looks like it's some kind of trainer or code injection that you run while already in the game rather than loving with the gunpla scanner.

The Mass Diver glitch sticker stuff is like Missingno in a Pokemon Blue team. All it took was one person to pull it out in playground link battles and suddenly everyone's game is all hosed up. Thanks a lot, Kevin in Year 9, you dickhead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jackhunter64 posted:

The Mass Diver glitch sticker stuff is like Missingno in a Pokemon Blue team. All it took was one person to pull it out in playground link battles and suddenly everyone's game is all hosed up. Thanks a lot, Kevin in Year 9, you dickhead.

MissingNo. was completely harmless beyond minor graphical glitches (which could be fixed by merely reseting the console) and your Hall of Fame becoming really weird. Other glitches were more dangerous but also harder to get and I can't think of any that could cause what you said.

Also I don't see the Mass Divers multiplying their sixth held item. That'd be really useful and worth destroying the system, I think, especially considering how anything Gunpla-related is a real, physical thing, so it'd be neat to just somehow massively multiply it in reality.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

MissingNo. was completely harmless beyond minor graphical glitches (which could be fixed by merely reseting the console) and your Hall of Fame becoming really weird. Other glitches were more dangerous but also harder to get and I can't think of any that could cause what you said.

Also I don't see the Mass Divers multiplying their sixth held item. That'd be really useful and worth destroying the system, I think, especially considering how anything Gunpla-related is a real, physical thing, so it'd be neat to just somehow massively multiply it in reality.

Well it has only been reproduced recently, but you can create a bugged ghost Pokemon that deletes your opponents game, for example.

Honestly, you could permanently gently caress up someone else's game simply by having a team that hosed up your own game, since link battles copied your team exactly.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
You already have build quality, pilot skill, and B's specials like trans-am or hyper mode or the ability to build a disguise model the exact same shape or your real model with zero mobility problems. So I'm thinking gunpla points can only translate to unlocking minor passives like increased energy and ammo capacity, extra hanger slots, faster repair times, or ability to play longer than 2 hours and access to harder missions.

It'd be a bummer if you could only do 4 missions a day and had to either wait or pay to reset your mission cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sazabi posted:

You already have build quality, pilot skill, and B's specials like trans-am or hyper mode or the ability to build a disguise model the exact same shape or your real model with zero mobility problems. So I'm thinking gunpla points can only translate to unlocking minor passives like increased energy and ammo capacity, extra hanger slots, faster repair times, or ability to play longer than 2 hours and access to harder missions.

It'd be a bummer if you could only do 4 missions a day and had to either wait or pay to reset your mission cap.

Doesn't the 2 hour time limit apply to minors only?

• Locked thread