Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Doesn't the 2 hour time limit apply to minors only?

I think that's specific to our protagonist, like 'I only have 2 hours before I have to go home and do homework'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Also they were only allowed to play at all after they turned 15.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think that's specific to our protagonist, like 'I only have 2 hours before I have to go home and do homework'

Schubalts posted:

Also they were only allowed to play at all after they turned 15.

Just rewatched it and the 2 hour limit is really just one of Riku's conditions to play, along with properly doing his homework.

Age limit is 14 years or entering second year of junior high school.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I just realized that the Devil Gundam effortlessly thrashing three Jegans was almost certainly a deliberate reversal of Aila's first fight in Build Fighters.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
can't believe that ninja brought a Zoid to a Gundam fight

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I just had a thought what if some kid tried to bring their MG Deep Striker to one of these Build Diver scan/VR things that must totally be a pain in the rear end

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Taintrunner posted:

Man I just had a thought what if some kid tried to bring their MG Deep Striker to one of these Build Diver scan/VR things that must totally be a pain in the rear end

Trying to move a built MG Deep Strike from a desk to a shelf is a total pain.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just caught up on the series, and my impressions so far:

- Magee is amazing! :swoon: I like that he just gets to be fab and that it doesn't get pointed out or have a lovely gay joke made at his expense. Also, Nanami secretly being Magee would seriously own.
- The 00 Diver Gundam is a pretty sweet pun. :v:
- Riku wanting to get stronger and build better GunPla is a pretty nice start to his character arc, imo. 3 episodes in for some character development is pretty fast, compared to Sei who took ages. I never watched Try, so I don't know if Sekai even got any character development.
- I'm liking the fight choreography, and it looks like they're actually putting effort into making this a team battle. Kyoya could have charged up his super move on his own, but I really like that they had Riku and Yuki cover him.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

amigolupus posted:

I never watched Try, so I don't know if Sekai even got any character development.

Just imagine the most boring thing you possibly can and you will have successfully imagined Sekai's character development during Try.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ActionZero posted:

Just imagine the most boring thing you possibly can and you will have successfully imagined Sekai's character development during Try.

You ever see The Simpsons episode Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie?

Now imagine that as an actual thing done to a series, with all the corporate executive notes applied.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
this thing owns

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

this thing owns

Looks like at least a partial IBO kitbash to me - that’s the Vual’s hammer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like at least a partial IBO kitbash to me - that’s the Vual’s hammer.

they both have pointy ends, but beyond that I can't see any similarities.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reminds me of a zaku, sazabi and something from IBO had a babby

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a Galbaldy

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The horn and color scheme makes me think it's a Galbaldy/Unicorn kitbash.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

The horn and color scheme makes me think it's a Galbaldy/Unicorn kitbash.

I don't see the Unicorn at all. The horn is definitely Zeonic and the color scheme as well as the style of the yellow vents are straight out of IBO.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You ever see The Simpsons episode Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie?

Now imagine that as an actual thing done to a series, with all the corporate executive notes applied.

You forget that the dub is almost unwatchable from the odd loving accent choices alone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

I don't see the Unicorn at all. The horn is definitely Zeonic and the color scheme as well as the style of the yellow vents are straight out of IBO.

It's like a Galbady and the Gusion Rebake Full City had a mortar-launching, hammer-pinching, lovechild.

Apprentice Dick posted:

You forget that the dub is almost unwatchable from the odd loving accent choices alone.

The dub was made in the Philippines, it's not a US-made job.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's like a Galbady and the Gusion Rebake Full City had a mortar-launching, hammer-pinching, lovechild.

It turns out it's called the Gabaldy Rebake, so yeah

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It turns out that the bird thingy is related to this SD Gundam?

RX-Rei Maru (Zero Zero)
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/2333/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god there's an HGBC motorcycle :stwoon:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That’s exactly what it is, and I love it unconditionally.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
The taking off the lower leg panels and putting them on as shoulder armor is pretty Rebake-esq.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This week on Build Divers, the Matrix.

Yah, this weeks episode was kinda dumb. The cowboy fight was almost good but the resolution was just boring. Tigerwolf was a pretty boring character too come to think of it.

"I wanna learn super attacks, lets go learn super attacks!"
We're veering dangerously close to Try territory. :ohdear:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 24, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seriously if this doesn't lead up to an episode where Riku gets absolutely dunked on and learns supers are useless I think my interest in the series may be dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Seriously if this doesn't lead up to an episode where Riku gets absolutely dunked on and learns supers are useless I think my interest in the series may be dead.

Next episode, someone with a Breniss Ox avatar shows up in a generic Zaku, wins by just shooting people in the head from a mile away over and over.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

RillAkBea posted:

This week on Build Divers, the Matrix.

Yah, this weeks episode was kinda dumb. The cowboy fight was almost good but the resolution was just boring. Tigerwolf was a pretty boring character too come to think of it.

"I wanna learn super attacks, lets go learn super attacks!"
We're veering dangerously close to Try territory. :ohdear:

Try had gently caress all in the way of learning super attacks, sekai started the series with a complement of them and used them literally every episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Oh no, not special techniques like Particle kung-fu and glowing super-punches! Build Fighters NEVER stooped to that !

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I dunno kung fu training to get better at VR was silly but in a good way. Of course there’s a whole mess of poopsocking martial arts dudes.

Cowboy mod tequila gundam was dope and I loved the beam banjo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

I dunno kung fu training to get better at VR was silly but in a good way. Of course there’s a whole mess of poopsocking martial arts dudes.

Plus, there’s a kind of logic to having an episode like this. It’s totally reasonable for new players in full-immersion VR games to have a disconnect when they encounter unrealistic game physics, and I’m not going to begrudge this show for leaning into its gimmick. Especially if it results in more folks going Master Asia on mobile suits.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, not special techniques like Particle kung-fu and glowing super-punches! Build Fighters NEVER stooped to that !

Well my point was more that that kind of stuff was the worst thing about Build Fighters and I was hoping they would be moving away from that stuff.

chiasaur11 posted:

Next episode, someone with a Breniss Ox avatar shows up in a generic Zaku, wins by just shooting people in the head from a mile away over and over.

You may be kidding but thinking about it that could make a pretty good episode because then they'dactually have to think and plan instead of spamming specials.

As an aside the Build Divers Twitter account announced a Gunpla customization contest. The winner of which will be featured in the show. Interestingly they're also accepting entries from the new Gundam Breaker game too.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 24, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManSedan posted:

Special mention going to the coffin full of missiles. It's not a real cowboy gundam if it's not dragging a coffin to put someone in everywhere it goes :clint:.

Why isn't it getting a kit, I want it goddammit.

Darth Walrus posted:

Plus, there's a kind of logic to having an episode like this. It's totally reasonable for new players in full-immersion VR games to have a disconnect when they encounter unrealistic game physics, and I'm not going to begrudge this show for leaning into its gimmick. Especially if it results in more folks going Master Asia on mobile suits.

And the fundamental underline is still "make something of your own style". Which is far better than "JIGEN HAOH RYU solves everything".

RillAkBea posted:

You may be kidding but thinking about it that could make a pretty good episode because then they'dactually have to think and plan instead of spamming specials.

So... just about every single Build Fighters fight using RG Mode?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yukki and Riku are very dull characters

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Customized TEQUILA GUNDAM stole the show, give him his own series damnit

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RillAkBea posted:

This is a super fun-hating statement. "Super moves" can lead to poo poo like Sekai if they're bad, but they can lead to amazing things like Tryon-3 if they're good. That said, the description of super moves here is pretty lax and open to interpretation; stuff like the Gundam X's Maoh's Satellite Sword or the Sengoku Astray's Particle Fa Jin would definitely apply, and those were rad and cool.

RillAkBea posted:

This episode was a pretty clear indication that they're capable of thinking and forming a plan, even if it doesn't work out. Also the choreography in the prologue episode was an elaborate series of bait and switches building up to one big trick to try to win via guile rather than brute force, so the show already has a really strong example of how it's going to write big battles. I feel like you're applying the standards of Try writing to a show that isn't Try.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yukki and Riku are very dull characters

This, on the other hand, I kind of agree with. For me I don't think it's because their personalities are super dull so much as there's no distinction between the two of them. Both of them share the same opinions on basically everything and both of them seem to have basically the same emotional reactions to everything. Part of the reason Sei and Reiji worked well was because their personalities were dramatically different so they bounced off each other a lot and helped each other develop, whereas there's no real separation between Yukki and Riku yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

This, on the other hand, I kind of agree with. For me I don't think it's because their personalities are super dull so much as there's no distinction between the two of them. Both of them share the same opinions on basically everything and both of them seem to have basically the same emotional reactions to everything. Part of the reason Sei and Reiji worked well was because their personalities were dramatically different so they bounced off each other a lot and helped each other develop, whereas there's no real separation between Yukki and Riku yet.

I actually agree with this too, however, I think it's fine for the time being. Right now they're being used as audience perspective for aspects of GBN to show off other characters. Unlike Build Fighters and Try where it's more focused on winning matches (and thus heavily-focused on the protagonists by necessity), Build Divers seems to be more of a show about exploring the online world and the people they meet along the way. I'd expect it to dial in on the core cast more once we've met all of the (presumably) future Force members and it comes together for the inevitable Tournament arc.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually agree with this too, however, I think it's fine for the time being. Right now they're being used as audience perspective for aspects of GBN to show off other characters. Unlike Build Fighters and Try where it's more focused on winning matches (and thus heavily-focused on the protagonists by necessity), Build Divers seems to be more of a show about exploring the online world and the people they meet along the way. I'd expect it to dial in on the core cast more once we've met all of the (presumably) future Force members and it comes together for the inevitable Tournament arc.

The show is about exploring the world of GBN, but it's doing it so incredibly slowly, and in a pretty dull fashion. If they're going to spend that much time on the concept "video game avatars don't get tired" then they really should've done something that was entertaining while explaining the idea. Like, the episode of Build Fighters where Sei learns that Gunpla doesn't have to be limited by the logic of Gundam. That was a fun episode that gave China and Caroline a chance to shine. It was entertaining and had a memorable fight and gave side characters time in the spotlight while it was setting up a simple lesson for the main character. Whereas this episode was pretty boring

Kinda related, but they really need to have at least a scene where Sara and Momo like, say words to each other. They've been spending a lot of time standing in the background while Yuki and Rikku have fun. Do they talk to each other during that time? Are they friends? Do they just check twitter and it's kinda awkward?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Episode was okay but they have to start adding in some more interesting characters or this show is gonna be a snore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I appreciate how poo poo the main two are. 4 episodes in and neither one care that Sarah doesn't have a gunpla. Treat Momo like she doesn't exist half the time. The other half they talk about how she helped them get catwolf to train them yet avoid thanking her or Sarah. Not to mention every time they log in all they do is pester other players to make them better.

And the way Riku struggles with the concept of not winning every fight especially against ogre, really highlights his stunted personality.

• Locked thread