Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, children are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I think I just want the show to hurry up and have them get sucked into GBN already

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, children are terrible

A reminder. At age eight or so, Mikazuki Augus was a professional mercenary who used his first paycheck to buy a starving girl he just met a meal. He then talked the shopowner into getting her a job.

Children in mech anime have higher standards to live up to than regular kids.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If Magee isn't the gunpla store lady I'm out

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zodack posted:

If Magee isn't the gunpla store lady I'm out

She was dressing up Momoka in episode 2 while the crew was talking with Magee.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

She was dressing up Momoka in episode 2 while the crew was talking with Magee.

No that was her identical twin, who has the same name.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually agree with this too, however, I think it's fine for the time being. Right now they're being used as audience perspective for aspects of GBN to show off other characters. Unlike Build Fighters and Try where it's more focused on winning matches (and thus heavily-focused on the protagonists by necessity), Build Divers seems to be more of a show about exploring the online world and the people they meet along the way. I'd expect it to dial in on the core cast more once we've met all of the (presumably) future Force members and it comes together for the inevitable Tournament arc.

We're pretty far in for them to both lack any kind of spark, though.

I mean, by episode 3 we'd seen Mikazuki double tap zip-tied prisoners, and he was a late bloomer as far as main characters go. Loran had his excited yell to the moon in episode 1, Domon tore up his travel papers and risked his life to save a cop who hated him in G's opening episode, Kamille assaulted an officer over an insult in one of his first scenes, and Amuro is introduced as the gooniest motherfucker alive.

Meanwhile, our leads here have nothing interesting going on.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did I miss the show setting up that Riku was acting like he was tired in the game, or something like that? They spent a lot of time establishing that his build quality wasn't good enough to fight at the level he wanted. So why did they have the "you can't get tired" training montage?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did I miss the show setting up that Riku was acting like he was tired in the game, or something like that? They spent a lot of time establishing that his build quality wasn't good enough to fight at the level he wanted. So why did they have the "you can't get tired" training montage?

It wasn’t about getting tired. It was about learning that physical pain and real-world physics are a thing of the past. Which were indeed problems he had in his previous fights - he was way too conservative and too concerned about him and his friends getting injured.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't think Build Fighters 1 had very good characters to begin with, but jesus it keeps looking better after Try was even worse about that, and Divers seems to be taking things to an ever lower low of nothingness. Really hoping it picks up here soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I suppose one thing that’s vaguely interesting about Riku is the way he’s gradually learning that yes, he does actually want to be a vicious PKing murderbeast like Ogre. The catch is that LLENN is in the next show over doing the same thing but better.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I suppose one thing that’s vaguely interesting about Riku is the way he’s gradually learning that yes, he does actually want to be a vicious PKing murderbeast like Ogre. The catch is that LLENN is in the next show over doing the same thing but better.
Yeah, SAO Alternative isn't even like what I would call a great show but it does seem to have a much stronger handle on its character arcs than Build Divers does.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this show's worst crime is actually having a custom tequila gundam that will never ever be a kit because there's no base kit to tweak it from.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

It wasn’t about getting tired. It was about learning that physical pain and real-world physics are a thing of the past. Which were indeed problems he had in his previous fights - he was way too conservative and too concerned about him and his friends getting injured.

fair enough. But if he really learns that it's OK to let Sara get stomped by a giant robot because it's just a game, that's gonna be weird.

dogsicle posted:

this show's worst crime is actually having a custom tequila gundam that will never ever be a kit because there's no base kit to tweak it from.

You never know. They made a Leopard Da Vinci, but no Leopard Gundam. They're doing the Galbaldy Rebake but there's no HGUC Galbaldy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah wait, i just saw the post credits scene and it's utterly laughable that they are already pretending like the bland-rear end lead has been "acknowledged" by powerful people and is thus Important

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

ah wait, i just saw the post credits scene and it's utterly laughable that they are already pretending like the bland-rear end lead has been "acknowledged" by powerful people and is thus Important

Honestly I'm assuming it's down to tracking Sarah for some reason, because otherwise that is definitely gonna be duuumb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, it does kind of feel like he’s earned it. Riku may not have much of a personality, but he’s the definition of fresh talent - skilled, creative, and driven. Dude isn’t exactly a steamroller, but he keeps going up against famous vets and leaving scars. Given GBN’s team-based gameplay, I imagine a number of folks are salivating at the thought of what they could turn him into after getting him in their force and giving him some serious training.

Ability and charisma are not the same things, after all.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
this episode should've been all about reading the exhaustive wiki on gbn

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also reading arguments about stock gunpla tier lists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Also reading arguments about stock gunpla tier lists.

RX-78-02's, no paint on the kit, desert mesa stage! It's the only true form of skill-based combat! :goonsay:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You never know. They made a Leopard Da Vinci, but no Leopard Gundam. They're doing the Galbaldy Rebake but there's no HGUC Galbaldy

Well there is a Galbaldy getting a release around the same time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's really no hook to this show unless you like gunpla. the previous bf shows weren't exactly masterpieces, but they had more going on than this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

where gbf was 50% gunpla and 50% sports, this is 70% fake vrmmo bullshit and 30% gunpla

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Build Fighters episodes also had like, individual stories with recurring characters, and things that happen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a prediction that I really don't want to come true; At some point Sarah's plot relevance will come up, and it will become clear that Riku and Yukki never actually had a conversation with her.

People were speculating that she's an AI, or the spirit of Gunpla, or something. They've been hanging out for hours multiple days in a row, if something was up, they'd know it by now. Unless they've literally never had a conversation with her, never asked her about herself, where she's from, what Gundam show she liked, etc. And I'm dreading the scene where they find out Sarah's a ghost or whatever and say something like, "oh yeah, she never told us what school she went to..." or something like that and I will scream

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have a prediction that I really don't want to come true; At some point Sarah's plot relevance will come up, and it will become clear that Riku and Yukki never actually had a conversation with her.

People were speculating that she's an AI, or the spirit of Gunpla, or something. They've been hanging out for hours multiple days in a row, if something was up, they'd know it by now. Unless they've literally never had a conversation with her, never asked her about herself, where she's from, what Gundam show she liked, etc. And I'm dreading the scene where they find out Sarah's a ghost or whatever and say something like, "oh yeah, she never told us what school she went to..." or something like that and I will scream

It's sort of weird that they bothered to establish that you need a gunpla to have a humanoid avatar with Momoka and Sarah has hung out with them for basically weeks now and they've never wondered "huh Sarah where's your gunpla?"

I'm hoping the show gets its Build Strike vs Zaku Amazing soon.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I think they really need to stop trying to explain the game and just get on with it. Every time they try to aswer one question it raises even more. Like how Tigerwolf can break the ground around him and throw giant rocks and he's not hacking or exploiting so that's actually a system in the game for some reason? If so why haven't we seen that before, like if that's a real thing why are the mass divers even bothering with gunpla when they could just go supersaiyan and troll entire servers?

As for Riku, he's that guy in your gaming group who never wants to actually play the game and have fun, he just wants more experienced players help him grind for rare drops.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's sort of weird that they bothered to establish that you need a gunpla to have a humanoid avatar with Momoka and Sarah has hung out with them for basically weeks now and they've never wondered "huh Sarah where's your gunpla?"

No, you need a proper macguffin triangle. Momoka was a Haro because she used a guest triangle at first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

As for Riku, he's that guy in your gaming group who never wants to actually play the game and have fun, he just wants more experienced players help him grind for rare drops.

...The guy asking "hey, how can I learn to do cool poo poo like that, can you teach me so I can be that cool one day?" :confused:

Kanos posted:

I think the Gunpla's optional, it's just that she didn't have a Diver account.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...The guy asking "hey, how can I learn to do cool poo poo like that, can you teach me so I can be that cool one day?" :confused:

Well it was a joke really but if you must insist of being obtuse, then yes, that guy. We're not at the tournament setup yet so Riku doesn't have any real impetus to get gud. He could just have fun with his friends doing missions but he is instead mildly obsessed with being the best and he's trying to take shortcuts to the top instead of just playing the game and getting better as a natural progression.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chumbler posted:

No that was her identical twin, who has the same name.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Magee and her are related or otherwise know each other

Kanos posted:

Actually it wasn't Momoka not having a gunpla as the reason she had to be a Haro, it was because she was using a Guest account, after all she's just using a rental in this episode

Also really hope that her custom Kapool has some interesting gimmick to it, cause looking at it now makes it seem a million times lamer than the stock model since her customising of it seems to have involved removing pretty much every weapon the suit had for no real reason(and considering the Kapool doesn't have a particularly great arsenal in the first place that's really saying something), she even blunted the loving claws, and those are like at least 30% of the point of using an aquatic MS in the first place

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

RillAkBea posted:

Well it was a joke really but if you must insist of being obtuse, then yes, that guy. We're not at the tournament setup yet so Riku doesn't have any real impetus to get gud. He could just have fun with his friends doing missions but he is instead mildly obsessed with being the best and he's trying to take shortcuts to the top instead of just playing the game and getting better as a natural progression.
As far as I can tell it's Riku's natural competitiveness that's driving him to get better. He saw how awesome you can be, and how far away he is from being that awesome. He wants to be that awesome, which is his motivation. You don't need to have a tournament in order to get better. It might accelerate the process, but motivation can be internal as well as external.

Additionally, pretty much all of the top players that we saw - Kyoya, Magee, and Tigerwolf - all say that Riku gets better through hard work and by gathering friends that he works well with in the game. Even the whole "Special Move" thing is something that's gated behind the level system, and you can't shortcut the level system. Unless you're That Guy who ganks newbs for the points, but the anime has already presented that kind of behavior as being bad. Ultimately the top players in GBN all say, "The road to greatness is paved with hard work."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Also really hope that her custom Kapool has some interesting gimmick to it, cause looking at it now makes it seem a million times lamer than the stock model since her customising of it seems to have involved removing pretty much every weapon the suit had for no real reason(and considering the Kapool doesn't have a particularly great arsenal in the first place that's really saying something), she even blunted the loving claws, and those are like at least 30% of the point of using an aquatic MS in the first place

I can forgive it because it looks like a penguin, and will apparently contain a smaller Kapool inside it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bingsu posted:

As far as I can tell it's Riku's natural competitiveness that's driving him to get better. He saw how awesome you can be, and how far away he is from being that awesome. He wants to be that awesome, which is his motivation. You don't need to have a tournament in order to get better. It might accelerate the process, but motivation can be internal as well as external.

Exactly. Riku's impetus and attitude isn't "gimme the good stuff NOW!", it's "can you teach me how to do this/do well myself, please?" Which is pretty normal for someone wanting to do better at literally any game or sport ever.

drrockso20 posted:

Given she's drawing from soccer skills, and it seems to be able to retract into a ball, I'm betting it's designed to be purely a ballistic weapon in its own right by smashing itself into opponents or slapping the poo poo out of them with the arms.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

chumbler posted:

I can forgive it because it looks like a penguin, and will apparently contain a smaller Kapool inside it.

I thought it looked more like a duck. But penguin makes more sense since they are naturally better at soccer. Which is probably what the little kapool is for.

Also can't wait to be GBF 7 to come out and be so bad that Try is viewed as a realistic character drama.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chumbler posted:

I really don't get why they're doing a Penguin theme with it when everything else with Momoka has been cat themed

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given she's drawing from soccer skills, and it seems to be able to retract into a ball, I'm betting it's designed to be purely a ballistic weapon in its own right by smashing itself into opponents or slapping the poo poo out of them with the arms.

Man that seems honestly pretty boring

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

According to the website, the Momokapool has greater strength and speed despite having less weapons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PrinnySquadron posted:

According to the website, the Momokapool has greater strength and speed despite having less weapons.

Unless they go full G Gundam with her fighting style that sounds like it will be amazingly boring

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'm biased towards loving it because it has a smaller kapool inside and it looks like a penguin.

edit: More gundams should look like penguins imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It probably still has the sonic cannon on the waist. Well, it's definitely physically still there; so it's probably not had it's functionality removed. It's also more likely to dribble and kick the mini-Kapool than to simply dive at stuff I would imagine. That said, I would love to see Riku or someone else kick her at an opponent just once.

Edit: I'm biased towards loving it both because it's not yet another Bearguy, and because it's a Kapool and Kapools are loving awesome. Momo referencing Sochie or Miashei in some way too would be cool. I realize that they were referenced when Momo picked the Kapool out, but I mean having her cosplay one of them, say a line of theirs or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 25, 2018

• Locked thread