Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

tsob posted:

It probably still has the sonic cannon on the waist. We'll, it's definitely physically still there; so it's probably not had it's functionality removed. It's also more likely to dribble and kick the mini-Kapool than to simply dive at stuff I would imagine.

Edit: I'm biased towards loving it both because it's not yet another Bearguy, but is a Kapool and Kapool are awesome.

Comedy option: It is now a vuvuzela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

It probably still has the sonic cannon on the waist. Well, it's definitely physically still there; so it's probably not had it's functionality removed. It's also more likely to dribble and kick the mini-Kapool than to simply dive at stuff I would imagine. That said, I would love to see Riku or someone else kick her at an opponent just once.

Edit: I'm biased towards loving it both because it's not yet another Bearguy, and because it's a Kapool and Kapools are loving awesome. Momo referencing Sochie or Miashei in some way too would be cool. I realize that they were referenced when Momo picked the Kapool out, but I mean having her cosplay one of them, say a line of theirs or something.

As much as I like Sochie, it would be better to reference the most effective Kapool pilot, Corin Nander.

Rocket punch!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurking Haro posted:

Comedy option: It is now a vuvuzela.

Well she is a soccer fan.

Dammit, now I want that thing to be a Vuvuzela of Death, you have no idea...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, as much as it would be fun to see her use the Momokapool to give the Minikapool a rocket boost before punching some guy who hasn't learned to separate VR from reality in the mechadick and as much as Corin is cool I prefer Sochie as a character. And Miashei kind of follows on from her, both in Turn-A and in Divers. Seeing Momo use a rocket hammer on some fool would be nice for instance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Momoka using her soccer skills in a ball-shaped MS with a smaller ball-shaped MS inside it sounds way better than another MS that just has a gun or a sword

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haros get slapped around a lot so having a haro like kapool get kicked, spiked, dribbled is well within the realm of reason

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I still think that the Nanami = Magee theory is valid, and that she's just pretending not to know anything about Gunpla to make the kids feel smarter. She seems to recognize the Kapool Momoka picked, and I get the feeling she's the one who built it.

Also, I found it funny that it's pretty much implied that Tigerwolf and his Force are just a bunch of kung-fu-loving nerds who take their RPing incredibly seriously. You could even see his mask crack just a little when Sara and Momo asked him to teach Riku. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Exactly. Riku's impetus and attitude isn't "gimme the good stuff NOW!", it's "can you teach me how to do this/do well myself, please?" Which is pretty normal for someone wanting to do better at literally any game or sport ever.

Yeah. I see folks in the Games subforums asking others how they can get better at a game, and that's what I got from Riku's efforts here.

chiasaur11 posted:

As much as I like Sochie, it would be better to reference the most effective Kapool pilot, Corin Nander.

Rocket punch!

Hey now, she could end up watching Turn A down the line and get the idea to use the mini-Kapool as her own version of the Rocket Punch. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's really sad is that there are dozens of players so committed to the ideal that they all pick identical avatars and spend time going through martial arts rituals but Riku and the gang just strolled in, annoyed the guy in to submission and absorbed his lessons in a few days at most. Those other students must feel like poo poo.

Not that picking an identikit avatar doesn't run against his entire ethos in the first place. I kind of assumed the students were basically background flavor and not real players, but the two GM guys seemed too responsive to be AI and Tigerwolf himself never seemed to acknowledge the whole thing as set dressing to make his RP more real/fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

What's really sad is that there are dozens of players so committed to the ideal that they all pick identical avatars and spend time going through martial arts rituals but Riku and the gang just strolled in, annoyed the guy in to submission and absorbed his lessons in a few days at most. Those other students must feel like poo poo.

Not that picking an identikit avatar doesn't run against his entire ethos in the first place. I kind of assumed the students were basically background flavor and not real players, but the two GM guys seemed too responsive to be AI and Tigerwolf himself never seemed to acknowledge the whole thing as set dressing to make his RP more real/fun.

I got the impression that Riku and company just got the intro course outlining the basic concepts underpinning the school. The long-term students were there for the specific martial art Tigerwolf had built off those concepts.

I also assumed the custom avatars were another training tool - using a generic model that doesn’t resemble you is probably really helpful for adapting to combat in VR.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

tsob posted:

My idea is that they've all absorbed the same lessons like Riku and Yukki. It's just all martial arts monasteries has to have students diligently practicing and none of them would dare break character.

Darth Walrus posted:

I also assumed the custom avatars were another training tool - using a generic model that doesn’t resemble you is probably really helpful for adapting to combat in VR.

I hope this leads to Momoka being the group's secret ace because her first experience in GBN was as a Haro, so she adapted faster to everything being VR.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The leads sure are ignorant as gently caress of some major gameplay mechanics and the basics of the in-game player culture of this game they were ao totally stoked for that they were counting the days until they could play.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

paragon1 posted:

The leads sure are ignorant as gently caress of some major gameplay mechanics and the basics of the in-game player culture of this game they were ao totally stoked for that they were counting the days until they could play.

hey a lot of people were hyped for dragon ball fighter z and didn't know the first thing about fighting games, so it's not unprecedented :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

paragon1 posted:

You usually don't know how a game works until you actually play it, regardless of how much you may have read about it. Even moreso for culture, which isn't something that is shown in public beyond forums and the like, which they may not have access to.

Riku and Yukki know about Gunpla, about Gundam, about GBN as a game. But actually being players is an entirely different matter and one they're getting accustomed to. Hell, it goes even beyond that when they literally learned to disassociate themselves of basic reactions that are ingrained into the human brain because they have a digital body now, that can't be easy to learn.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Not to mention GBN seems to be a really drat complex game

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kanos posted:

It's sort of weird that they bothered to establish that you need a gunpla to have a humanoid avatar with Momoka and Sarah has hung out with them for basically weeks now and they've never wondered "huh Sarah where's your gunpla?"

They asked about Sarah's gunpla when they were adding each other to their friend lists. They just assumed that she was customizing hers, like Yukki was.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schubalts posted:

They asked about Sarah's gunpla when they were adding each other to their friend lists. They just assumed that she was customizing hers, like Yukki was.

Yeah but it's been several weeks at least and she's never shown up with a gunpla.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
What do you think Sarah does in the interim? Is she goingon adventures with other groups? Does she ever eat? Does she need to eat? Can she eat? Does she gather discarded gunpla boxesand make a little homeless shelter in the corner of the main lobby? Can she evenleave that lobby and just go sleep in one of the replica towns?

Hopefully the next episode spends most of its run time explaining more lovely game mechanics.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sazabi posted:

What do you think Sarah does in the interim? Is she goingon adventures with other groups? Does she ever eat? Does she need to eat? Can she eat? Does she gather discarded gunpla boxesand make a little homeless shelter in the corner of the main lobby? Can she evenleave that lobby and just go sleep in one of the replica towns?

Hopefully the next episode spends most of its run time explaining more lovely game mechanics.

Besides being Aura, she could also be a sick kid stuck in the hospital.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurking Haro posted:

Besides being Aura, she could also be a sick kid stuck in the hospital.

I still reckon we've got another "wandered in from the other world" situation (if not directly related to Reiji in some fashion), only it's gone Digimon Story and she's wandered into the online game instead of the actual world. Especially considering she clearly doesn't know about the basic chat functions until they're shown to her.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

For those who didn't notice it, the Cowboy Tequila's 'coffin' is the Kyrios' disposable missile pod. Thought that was pretty neat!

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 26, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sazabi posted:

There's a weird thing going on in this show where its focus is on developing the world of GBN through the eyes of Riku and Yukio, but everything that actually happens in the show is all about Riku and Yukio. There's very little of anyone doing anything in GBN other than helping, fighting, or griefing them, which is why all the reams of direct exposition of all the stuff people could be doing in it.

It's really obvious with Sarah because she doesn't seem to have anything outside of following them around and commenting on who's a good Diver and who's a bad Diver.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Caphi posted:

There's a weird thing going on in this show where its focus is on developing the world of GBN through the eyes of Riku and Yukio, but everything that actually happens in the show is all about Riku and Yukio. There's very little of anyone doing anything in GBN other than helping, fighting, or griefing them, which is why all the reams of direct exposition of all the stuff people could be doing in it.

It's really obvious with Sarah because she doesn't seem to have anything outside of following them around and commenting on who's a good Diver and who's a bad Diver.
Sounds like a good plot twist.
What if the main two are make a wish kids? And this is their trip to Disney world. An old mmo with dwindling player base gets patched up into a co-op adventure. With riku and yukio playing out the fantasy of chosen one's. With all the good players acknowledging his inherent skill/latent potential. And only they can save the digital world. You could end it with them beating the guy in the hood, with a jump cut to someone at their funeral talking how there are some things in life you can't beat.

It would make the characters interesting for once.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RillAkBea posted:

Well there is a Galbaldy getting a release around the same time.

:thunk:

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I need a model of the Django Gundam

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This episode wasn't bad.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked this episode, it felt weirdly meta with regards to gunpla as a whole. The old grandpa RX-78 was a cute bit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Had Petitgguys, had weirdo MSV stuff. Good enough episode!

Also Ayame saying what we're all thinking. Seriously how is Riku even important?

Also next episode preview confirms link to previous Build Fighters universe? "Battles where Gunpla actually move?" (Or whatever the English subs say, I wouldn't know)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 1, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So the guy in the OP is giving me flashbacks of Evil Sekai (Or whatever his name was, the dude with the Denial Gundam from Try).

Episode was entertaining, the show is obviously shooting for a much younger audience but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Had Petitgguys, had weirdo MSV stuff. Good enough episode!

Also Ayame saying what we're all thinking. Seriously how is Riku even important?

Also next episode preview confirms link to previous Build Fighters universe? "Battles where Gunpla actually move?" (Or whatever the English subs say, I wouldn't know)

The english sub translate it as "This is how it looks when you battle by controlling actual Gunpla". The episode's also titled "Past and Future", so it's entirely possible.

Taintrunner posted:

I liked this episode, it felt weirdly meta with regards to gunpla as a whole. The old grandpa RX-78 was a cute bit.

I really loved the detail the put into actually making it as off-model as the original ancient kit, rather than just being a 1/100 scale modern-proportioned RX-78-02.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
On that note, I liked that the poorly seated missiles actually caused them to veer off course.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I hope Patrick keeps being in each episode. :allears:

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I had a good laugh at the spy rolling up in a jeep because they were stupid enough to try and walk through a desert. With only 2 hours a day, they would have been at it for over a week.
On the link between past builder series, I think I spotted a repainted Portent Gundam in the exhibition. I can't think of anything else that has the two-pronged heels and wings on the knees. Mind you, the legs were all that was shown.
And I know that the bad guys are supposed to be poor builders and con-artists, but they have my respect for somehow managing to get the gorilla-dragon to transform like that....unless that was more hacking I suppose.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Oof, that episode felt really glacial to me. Shahryar is kind of a boring nothing of a character who doesn't even have the personality of wolfman, and it at least felt like wolfman was trying to teach them something useful instead of talking about how "gunpla are all about love!" before examining their gunpla and determining that they have sufficient love but their builder skills aren't good enough.

Honestly, I would have preferred that the kids go on these adventures with Magee instead of introducing these other mentor figures, since Magee is a fun and memorable character who doesn't seem to be doing anything important with his time considering every time we see him he's eating parfait or sitting in a gondola or something.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder what Shahryar's Force is gonna look like. Hopefully more interesting than Tigerwolf's clone bald guy army.

I'm optimistic about next week's episode. They have a goal now, as opposed to just wandering around stumbling into mentor figures. And so much of the preview being iRL hopefully means more fun character interaction and less world-building.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The english sub translate it as "This is how it looks when you battle by controlling actual Gunpla". The episode's also titled "Past and Future", so it's entirely possible.

Aila's and Reiji's daughter from the Island Wars special has a similar cross-shaped badge like Sarah's flower necklace, so that could be another connection if they decide to go that way.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
The only other explanation besides being a relative of Reji and Aila is her being another glitch in the system like the devil gundam. Am I missing something here? Because it's glaringly obvious she don't belong and has weird tendencies.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sazabi posted:

The only other explanation besides being a relative of Reji and Aila is her being another glitch in the system like the devil gundam. Am I missing something here? Because it's glaringly obvious she don't belong and has weird tendencies.

Her being Aura is the currently most plausible theory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wonder what Shahryar's Force is gonna look like. Hopefully more interesting than Tigerwolf's clone bald guy army.

I'm optimistic about next week's episode. They have a goal now, as opposed to just wandering around stumbling into mentor figures. And so much of the preview being iRL hopefully means more fun character interaction and less world-building.

I'd say it's looking like learning an upperclassman in their school is a really good builder, and repeatedly trying to hassle them to join.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This episode wasn't bad.

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

(Also, the whole ninja thing towards the end was just... what was that mess?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it's looking like learning an upperclassman in their school is a really good builder, and repeatedly trying to hassle them to join.

Maybe the episode next week will elaborate. But the preview made it look like the gang was just harassing some guy in a "haha really funny how they follow him everywhere and exibit all the signs of a stalker". I just wanna see those hammer shears get to work.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

(Also, the whole ninja thing towards the end was just... what was that mess?)

That jump cut from right outside town, despite the locking out low lvl players from piloting in the desert, with the Ninja girl "unconscious" to several miles away with her tied up next to the only rock for hundreds of miles around. Did they explain the situation to Riku? Did they follow a vapor trail? Why not just crush them once they walked out of the city.

And how do people eat in that world?

• Locked thread