Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gundam Build Divers is the newest series in the Gundam franchise, and the latest installment of the Gundam Build sub-franchise though no direct connection has been established in canon yet.

While the previous two series in the Build franchise took place in live arenas with real gunpla animated by magic plavsky particles, the majority of the action in Gundam Build Divers is based inside a fully-immersive MMO and comes with all the online game tropes you would expect like stupid costumes, scammers and even griefers. The online game format also means for the first time in Gundam Build history the plot isn't entirely enslaved to an ongoing tourney setup as the Gunpla Battle Nexus Online (GBN for short) appears to offer a wide range of mission types including 'Dramatic Mission', 'Quiz Mission' and of course the ancient rite of kumite.

Our main trio of characters for this season are:

Riku
Typical shonen protagonist, he's good at almost everything but has less common sense than a particularly naive potato. (May have superpowers) Pilots the 00 Diver, for which he sacrificed most of his Gunpla collection.

Yuki
The best friend and general know-it-all. Pilots the GM III Beam Master which he previously assembled for a contest and won because of course he did.

Momo
Tom-boyish classmate, gets into GBN because the boys did because it's a shonen series. :shrug: Pilots the Momokapool which contains another smaller Kapool. (Unconfirmed mid-season upgrade: fits inside larger Kapool)

The show airs Tuesdays at 5.55PM (JST) and is later uploaded to the GundamInfo Youtube channel.

Prologue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7j_l6_lCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yo I heard there were hot guys with fox ears in this?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Yo I heard there were hot guys with fox ears in this?

it also has two oni dudes and this guy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Wow. I'm gonna watch Gundam Build Divers!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i like the multiple homo adult men but it looks like the protags are obnoxious kids

e: just watched the exchange that's like "with you we could win the nationals" "soccer's cool but there's something I want to do more" "what's that?" "play videogames" and I'm revising my opinion cuz that's funny

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

DisDisDis posted:

i like the multiple homo adult men

I feel it's only fair to make you aware of the non-zero chance that Magee is Nanami using a male avatar for GBN.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it might be even more of a gunpla commercial than the previous seasons, which is really saying something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it might be even more of a gunpla commercial than the previous seasons, which is really saying something.

It certainly gets the "let's build a Gunpla while talking about how cool building Gunpla is" right out there immediately, but both other seasons had that episode as well and in the first season the protagonist literally lived in a gunpla store, so there's a high bar to clear.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I feel it's only fair to make you aware of the non-zero chance that Magee is Nanami using a male avatar for GBN.

i'm not sure how to feel

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

ActionZero posted:

that owns tbh

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Look forward to my fanfic about a lesbian fujoshi couple that meet as camp gay man avatars in Gundam FighterZ Nexus Online

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That said, aren't those pretty common/stereotypical 'cutesy' poses anyway?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want to believe Nanami is secretly the cool high rank mentor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

It would be a really great twist and make it less annoying that someone who works as a clerk in a gunpla store/gunpla MMO lan cafe claims to not know poo poo about gunpla(because she's bullshitting to make the kids feel smarter).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would also mean that instead of watching the shop she was playing a mmo the whole time, which is great

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ActionZero posted:

This is cool and good

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

It would be a really great twist and make it less annoying that someone who works as a clerk in a gunpla store/gunpla MMO lan cafe claims to not know poo poo about gunpla(because she's bullshitting to make the kids feel smarter).

It’d be cool, but I know better than to hope.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

chumbler posted:

:yeah:

Plus we have people roleplaying animals and furries it's only normal for someone to have picked the opposite gender

Pureauthor posted:

That said, aren't those pretty common/stereotypical 'cutesy' poses anyway?
I thought that initially but magee asking the boys if they hated gbn followed by nanami asking if they liked it back to back sort of adds to the juxtaposition. Sort of ying yang duality that the character might have.

If anything nanami leaving the store unattended for like an hour while the kids played to be the mentor is a bigger roadblock to the theory than their expressions being common on camp characters :v:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 8, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If anything nanami leaving the store unattended for like an hour while the kids played to be the mentor is a bigger roadblock to the theory than their expressions being common on camp characters :v:

She works in the Gundam Base Tokyo in the Diver CityCentury mall. Famous for having pretty much anything relating to Gundam. It's not going to be unattended.

-e-
Magee calls himself Onee-san.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 8, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If this is a world where a big incentive to make gunpla is that you can use them in a giant VR MMO, it would stand to reason that Whatever The Gunpla Company's Name Is In Divers would have paid community managers and it's conceivable that Nanami could work a dual job where she both sells physical gunpla and also promotes the MMO aspect of the hobby. Magee introduces himself as somebody who helps newbies.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

According to the the TV guide in today's episode Momoka tries to get the boys to join soccer club again but they tell her to shove it and go on an item fetch quest with Sarah.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

According to the the TV guide in today's episode Momoka tries to get the boys to join soccer club again but they tell her to shove it and go on an item fetch quest with Sarah.

Now I know why she will pilot a Kapool.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, there goes the Magee/Nanami theory. Guess Magee is just some dude.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lurking Haro posted:

Now I know why she will pilot a Kapool.

Pretty sure it's actually a Capule (the ZZ unit) and not a Kapool (the Turn-A unit) after checking since the sonic cannon on the waist has the filled in ribbing more typical of the formers design than the latters. Now, some lineart and models, especially earlier stuff does mix and match that detail, but it's always different in detail shots during the shows that I recall. As is the other distinguishing feature between the two, the "skirt" just below the cannon; which always has holes in a Capule and is always solid on a Kapool. That's missing in this re-design though, so it's academic.

That said, it could just be personal detail changes on the builders behalf and still meant to be a Kapool. The Kapool got more focus and is the more beloved after all. More importantly, is the mini unit it can disgorge modeled after a Haro? Or does it's size, shade and lack of detail just make it look like one?

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 10, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

tsob posted:

Pretty sure it's actually a Capule (the ZZ unit) and not a Kapool (the Turn-A unit) after checking since the sonic cannon on the waist has the filled in ribbing more typical of the formers design than the latters. Now, some lineart and models, especially earlier stuff does mix and match that detail, but it's always different in detail shots during the shows that I recall. As is the other distinguishing feature between the two, the "skirt" just below the cannon; which always has holes in a Capule and is always solid on a Kapool. That's missing in this re-design though, so it's academic.

That said, it could just be personal detail changes on the builders behalf and still meant to be a Kapool. The Kapool got more focus and is the more beloved after all. More importantly, is the mini unit it can disgorge modeled after a Haro? Or does it's size, shade and lack of detail just make it look like one?

Yeah the Capule is from a crap show, while the Kapool is from one of Gundam's best, so I do hope it's the latter.

I'm digging the MMO aesthetic and avatars. 00 Diver looks nicer than the original 00, too. (Though I kind of wish Riku used the Sword Impulse Gundam as a base instead)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I keep staring at the MC and all I see is a brown haired Mika with actual life in his eyes. The hair is just really similar. Magee being Nanami would also own bones.

Here is hoping this season will not fall into the one trick battle pony the last one did which made me stop watching eventually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Okay, I'm beginning to feel this. The show is wearing its love for the franchise on its sleeve completely in a way that Try completely forgot - I loving lost it at the Harry Ord pajamas - and the battle choreography is very promising considering we've only had a couple of baby introduction battles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, that was a pretty deece fight. Not an all-time series great, but reassuringly solid. Shows they can make Trans-Am look good, too, which is pretty important (and means that Riku’s trump card will still allow for more interesting and varied action than Build Knuckle or Jigen Haoh spam).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This show is making me wish there was an actual MMO that used RF-enabled gunpla as avatars, it'd give me an incentive to start collecting them again.

Oh no. :shepspends:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

This show is making me wish there was an actual MMO that used RF-enabled gunpla as avatars, it'd give me an incentive to start collecting them again.

Oh no. :shepspends:

i think you will find that a) gundams are the coolest thing ever created and b) buying gunpla means that you can own a real* gundam!

*buy more gunpla

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Gunpla $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
my dude have you heard about star citizen

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoyed this episode for the most part, but I'm having trouble understanding the stakes during the fight. If that robot arm had hit Yukki and Sarah what would actually have happened? Similarly why would the ogre guy stop his final attack? It feels like the show forgets none of it's real during the fights in a way that comes off kind of dumb.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Who knows how the Dive tech fully works, maybe they would have felt some of the force of the arm hit their avatar, since they can feel the ground and smell flowers, or apparently even eat (Magee mentioning picnics and Do-ji faking a stomach ache).

Don't think about things any harder than the show does, just relax and enjoy your nostalgia bath.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can see you dropping your items if you ‘die’, which would really suck considering they were on a giant fetch quest.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I can see you dropping your items if you ‘die’, which would really suck considering they were on a giant fetch quest.

AuraSarah getting squashed wouldn't be good for the internet, either.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, really, harsh death/destruction penalties in MMOs are nothing new. Imagine if they’d been taking a shiny new cruiser for a spin in EVE and ended up in lowsec.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Droyer posted:

I enjoyed this episode for the most part, but I'm having trouble understanding the stakes during the fight. If that robot arm had hit Yukki and Sarah what would actually have happened? Similarly why would the ogre guy stop his final attack? It feels like the show forgets none of it's real during the fights in a way that comes off kind of dumb.

Taking things absolutely seriously to the point of destruction even when they're not life or death was a running theme in GBF. I'm pretty sure the show isn't worried about the technicals and just wants you to get wrapped up in the imagery of a giant robot arm about to smash two kids.

If you absolutely need an explanation, the Diver avatars can obviously be damaged or "killed", otherwise they wouldn't have given a poo poo when Riku accidentally dropped them; whether or not there's death penalties involved is conjectural, but given that Magee got extremely huffy at Fat Oni for trying to PK the newbies in episode 1 and was legitimately worried it would cause them to quit, I'd bet there are. Using this as a basis, Riku didn't want to see his friends get smashed by a giant robot arm. As for Oni dude, he is portrayed as an honorable guy looking for good fights to get stronger(we're introduced to him literally responding to a 3v1 callout) and didn't see any purpose in beating up on an already defeated opponent and seeing Sarah throw herself in front of him made him stop and think about it for a second.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Taking things absolutely seriously to the point of destruction even when they're not life or death was a running theme in GBF. I'm pretty sure the show isn't worried about the technicals and just wants you to get wrapped up in the imagery of a giant robot arm about to smash two kids.

If you absolutely need an explanation, the Diver avatars can obviously be damaged or "killed", otherwise they wouldn't have given a poo poo when Riku accidentally dropped them; whether or not there's death penalties involved is conjectural, but given that Magee got extremely huffy at Fat Oni for trying to PK the newbies in episode 1 and was legitimately worried it would cause them to quit, I'd bet there are. Using this as a basis, Riku didn't want to see his friends get smashed by a giant robot arm. As for Oni dude, he is portrayed as an honorable guy looking for good fights to get stronger(we're introduced to him literally responding to a 3v1 callout) and didn't see any purpose in beating up on an already defeated opponent and seeing Sarah throw herself in front of him made him stop and think about it for a second.

I think Sarah was the most important (though not the only) factor there - his e-honour couldn’t handle having to squish a newbie on foot with a tiny little girl avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If there aren't any Zeta Gundam jokes with Sarah then I'm personally going to call up President John Gundam myself and have this show cancelled.

• Locked thread