Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lurking Haro posted:

Now I know why she will pilot a Kapool.

Pretty sure it's actually a Capule (the ZZ unit) and not a Kapool (the Turn-A unit) after checking since the sonic cannon on the waist has the filled in ribbing more typical of the formers design than the latters. Now, some lineart and models, especially earlier stuff does mix and match that detail, but it's always different in detail shots during the shows that I recall. As is the other distinguishing feature between the two, the "skirt" just below the cannon; which always has holes in a Capule and is always solid on a Kapool. That's missing in this re-design though, so it's academic.

That said, it could just be personal detail changes on the builders behalf and still meant to be a Kapool. The Kapool got more focus and is the more beloved after all. More importantly, is the mini unit it can disgorge modeled after a Haro? Or does it's size, shade and lack of detail just make it look like one?

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It probably still has the sonic cannon on the waist. Well, it's definitely physically still there; so it's probably not had it's functionality removed. It's also more likely to dribble and kick the mini-Kapool than to simply dive at stuff I would imagine. That said, I would love to see Riku or someone else kick her at an opponent just once.

Edit: I'm biased towards loving it both because it's not yet another Bearguy, and because it's a Kapool and Kapools are loving awesome. Momo referencing Sochie or Miashei in some way too would be cool. I realize that they were referenced when Momo picked the Kapool out, but I mean having her cosplay one of them, say a line of theirs or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 25, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, as much as it would be fun to see her use the Momokapool to give the Minikapool a rocket boost before punching some guy who hasn't learned to separate VR from reality in the mechadick and as much as Corin is cool I prefer Sochie as a character. And Miashei kind of follows on from her, both in Turn-A and in Divers. Seeing Momo use a rocket hammer on some fool would be nice for instance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's really sad is that there are dozens of players so committed to the ideal that they all pick identical avatars and spend time going through martial arts rituals but Riku and the gang just strolled in, annoyed the guy in to submission and absorbed his lessons in a few days at most. Those other students must feel like poo poo.

Not that picking an identikit avatar doesn't run against his entire ethos in the first place. I kind of assumed the students were basically background flavor and not real players, but the two GM guys seemed too responsive to be AI and Tigerwolf himself never seemed to acknowledge the whole thing as set dressing to make his RP more real/fun.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The logical conclusion is Kati rescuing him from an overwhelming Mass Diver attack while wearing a dashing outfit, and then Patrick putting on a red cape she has to cover his nudity before said Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken. I can't decide whether they should be standing atop a God Enact custom, a God GN-X custom or some kind of Katheron ship custom while doing it though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

If this was a better show, I'd expect that to hit a roadblock with an IBO themed suit showing up (official motto of Gjallarhorn engineering: gently caress beam weapons forever.) but... this is not showing signs of being that kind of show.

The fights between recurrung characters in Gundam almost always come down to melee fights anyway, and really IBO's solution to beams is "magic paint that completely invalidates beams as a worry for every single mobile suit", which sucks a lot of the tension out of things the one time they do show up and is just as bad in it's own way.

jackhunter64 posted:

In the inevitable football-themed episode, they should have the hacker enemies all be full hooligans. Smoke flares, razor blades hidden inside hat brims, ripped up seats for shields.

English too, obviously. I'd love to see them all in basic suits painted to look like they're wearing jerseys or something, but some of the signifiers, like numbers and names on the back, would be near impossible given the placement of thrusters on the back of suits. Still, a GM with a beanie cap in red and white stripes would be fun.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 5, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not to mention he probably had some hangups from losing his friends in general. They didn't leave him for GBN, they just quit the hobby altogether.

My impression was that they had left the duel game to move on to Gunpla Battle Nexus and I spent a lot of the episode wondering why he didn't just join them, because there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two in basic terms.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

Because sadelf built those gunpla for him and they wanted to do their own thing.

Yea, that's what I figured too. The physical duel game is obviously more about battle, where the online nexus seems to be more all encompassing so some of them may simply have wanted to do things other than fight and use their own gunpla rather than that guys to do it.

Anyway, if his friends hadn't all migrated to GBN, then why did Nanami specifically mention that the team broke up as the scene shifted from GPD to GBN? And why did his friend say in the dream that his reason for quitting was that times had moved on and GPD was finished? Those things make it sound like his friends all migrated to GBN but he was stuck on GPD for some reason. Otherwise, his friends were basically going "well this one form of gunpla battling is done and another has taken over; gently caress that new one, I'm done with the whole scene". Which makes them all kind of dumb really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...after being a close-knit team for some time?

Okay, here's a better question; If they just all migrated to GBN, why didn't they do it as a team? There's zero impetus for them to dissolve the group unless they all outright quit one-by-one.

Because each of them took different lengths of time to accept that GPD was on the outs for the new hotness. Kind of hard to migrate as one if no one else is joining you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It might be dumb, but it happens. Like the people who dropped out of tabletop fantasy miniature wargames entirely when Warhammer: Age of Sigmar replaced Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

At which point I question why I should sympathise with people who are basically refusing to try something new and vaguely different but ultimately pretty similar to what they loved before? I don't find the new guy's story emotive, because I'm just left wondering why either he or his whole group got broken up because a slight variation on the sport they liked came out. The whole thing seems quite petty. It mostly made me feel bad for Nanami, trying to help her brother break out a quite silly funk.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 9, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

maninthesuit posted:

I see the displayed models as an earlier and more slow-burn attempt of getting her brother through his troubles. Using the assumption of 'He used to love doing this before and if he really got turned off from it, he'd yell at me over the phone to quit it. Also, good-looking exhibition models sell kits so I can get my bosses to go along with it.'

This actually reminds me of another problem I had with the episode: Shahryar says that new guys models display a unique worldview, but every single model of his i can think of (display models, magazine photos, GPD battle data, old figures in the box) are straight builds. Even if they're of an exceptional build quality I can't see how that implies a unique worldview.

It's kind of the same problem with Yuuma in Try. Everyone talked up how talented he was as a builder, but Fumina and Minato's models looked as good as his while obviously being more creative since they weren't fairly straight builds. At least then you could excuse it because build quality is hard to portray in animation, but here they speak to the viewpoint his work espouses and I really can't see how straight builds have any kind of unique viewpoint.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except they all know eachother in-person. Have they not heard of this handy invention called a phone? Online chat? Or just talking in person about the sweet-hot new virtual MMO?

This question confuses me, because it's equally valid regardless of which of our interpretations you take. Even if they all gave up any Gunpla related activity fullstop then they still know each other and can still contact each other in a myriad of ways. Any shame, anger etc. used to explain reluctance to initiate contact in one scenario is just as valid a reason to refrain from it in the other scenario.

Kanos posted:

I've literally been part of groups who have broken up to some degree because some members of the group got interested in a new MMO or video game while others prefer the old one so the shared social activity is gone; if that shared social activity was the primary way you spent time with people and it's now gone, it's easy to drift apart because now your interests diverge significantly, and it can be pretty hard to reconnect with those types of hobby friends when you're apart for a long time(years, in the case of sad elf).

You can also see this kind of thing happen with physical hobbies, like if a group that meets constantly to play a particular tabletop game suddenly has an unpopular rules release or something so a couple of people quit and pick up another game instead so they drift apart from the group. It's pretty realistic.

Somebody who gets REALLY invested into one of the "abandoned" hobbies(and sad lad definitely was since he was apparently the team mechanic and built an entire loving crate of gunpla for his teammates and did tune-ups for them) can feel really hurt or betrayed if they're "left behind".

See, I can sympathise if the group broke up because all of them got bored of Gunpla or Gunpla fighting and instead wanted to try baseball or competitive laundry or something that was majorly different, even in MMO terms Eve seems vastly different to WoW, but them all drifting to a video game version of the same thing they were doing just doesn't seem to warrant or explain his reaction to me.

The people you mention giving up a tabletop game because of rule changes seem even weirder to me since the old rule set still exists and can still be played even if it's never updated again since updates and competition with outside groups aren't a major part of tabletop games. At least with Gunpla Duelling you could imagine some upset since lack of official support would mean that there'd be much fewer outsiders to play against and opponents are necessary for a duel.

I realize it might be realistic, but that doesn't make it automatically sympathetic because I just can't bring myself to care that he couldn't bear the new variant of a thing he loves when his friends drifted away in favor of it. Even if his friends all left the Gunpla related scene entirely i think the show badly communicated it, because mentioning that they left when GBN came along is just ambiguous. If they'd started to get bored of GBN (with no GBD existing) or something I'd find his situation far more evocative and his feelings of betrayal more sympathetic.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 9, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, the Galbaldy Rebake is a pretty solid artistic statement.

It also doesn't exist at the time he made his statement so can't really be used as a cause for it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really, because there's no reason why they wouldn't just go in as a team from the start.

Yea, there is; that each of them might have come to the realisation their favored game is no longer of interest (to themselves or the world at large) at different times. We know from Nanami the group broke up piecemeal rather than all at once, so regardless of whether they all broke up piecemeal to all go to Gunpla Battle Nexus or broke up piecemeal to all pursue entirelt different hobbies it's still plausible to ask why they didn't keep in contact afterwards if they were friends? Shame or anger is a possible explanation in either case.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Updates and competitions are absolutely a major part of tabletop wargames. They aren't just board games, where you buy the box and are good forever. There's a steady stream of new releases and updates. If a new edition comes out that makes your army less good or invalidates a specific play style you had, that sucks, but if they don't continually release new stuff, the game dies. And yeah, there will still be people who keep on playing the old game, but that number will dwindle really fast as people are drawn to living games.

After Warhammer The Game of Fantasy Battlers was replaced with Warhammer: Age of Sigmar there were a ton of people who proclaimed that they would stick with the old Warhammer forever. Now, basically nobody plays it. Because dead games aren't fun

You're right; I was mostly thinking of D'n'D and other role playing games when I think about tabletop gaming. Games where even if a given ruleset or edition haven't been officially supported in decades some people still play by it because they prefer how it handles various elements like conflict or character creation.

Sazabi posted:

Eh. Like Guy Tsob said even in magazines he's a straight build guy. When he was making gunpla for his team they were all straight builds. With the only complaint anyone had was stiff shoulders. And we see a whole box of straight builds. Until Galbaldy Rebake sadelf has been nothing but basic. Which kinda sucks. I'd much rather them show off designs that never get a real model like cowboy gundam. Than only put the effort into a handful of designs coordinated with bandai marketing (we have a Leo mold. Let's swap the head and color palette and sell two kits for the price of developing one).

Even putting aside that the one shot we get of him in a magazine with a competition unit is a straight build, I really don't see why his commissioned kits for the Gunpla stores rental units would need to be straight builds. You'd want some of them to be, of course, but it's not a field that would demand it since some people might like more creative units. In fact, I'd think it would help rental sales if anything; since having such creative units would tempt people to go "hey, I think I might try that one off unit I can't just buy" even if they have their own Gunpla already.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

Rommel had a different drink every time they cut back to him. I think the drinks also decreased in complexity as well.

I loved that Rommel's personal ship was a Gallop like Ramba Ral in 0079. It's also Loran and Sochie's ship in Turn-A, but as much as I'd love the Momokapool to indicate the ship was referencing Turn-A it's almost certainly 0079. Especially since Rommel is ferret Ramba in some ways.

chiasaur11 posted:

This episode was actually fun, which is nice. The fight was one sided, but in a "they went in with a good plan, and executed it well against a foe who underestimated them" way, as opposed to just making the heroes invincible.

I really enjoyed almost the whole battle, right up to the finale when our protagonists started dunking special moves on people to take them out one by one. I preferred the quicker attacks built up up to that point, and was disappointed no-one was taken out by one of them really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

amigolupus posted:

I honestly hope this leads to Momoka and Tigerdog having an honorable duel down the line like Domon and Master Asia.

I hope if that happens they go whole hog and include a teary death scene, with Momo screaming as the camera pulls back on a setting sun etc followed by his body dissolving in to data and then respawning in the hub area.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Taintrunner posted:

See I would love that. Some sort of hardcore over the top Ball only fight club

I can't say as I really care about that, but I would love to see random matches like that in these Gunpla shows. Tournaments having matches where the participants are given a random unit that they either can't modify at all or are only given a few minutes total to maybe give it a new paint job or affect simple customization of that level on. Everyone in random units, or all the same basic unit beyond aesthetics would be fun for a match here and there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

A Guncannon team that's just a bunch of juvenile delinquents, loitering around and smoking.

Only acceptable if at least one of them has modified their Guncannon to have it's cannon be a massive pompadour coming out of the unit's head and uses a beam bat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not really a Guncannon at that point, though if it somehow transformed in to a motorbike instead of a stabilizing mode for the extra long/hard shots I doubt anyone would care. The gang leader should look extra tough anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

ah, bandai syndrome

Seems more like standard operating procedure for every single corporation in every single media field really, not something limited to Bandai.

Darth Walrus posted:

Their success isn’t measured in the protagonists they beat, but in the subscriber-count they reduce because the game just isn’t fun any more.

It might help if the show would at least talk about how the spread of break decals has affected player count, or better yet, show the user base dwindling in some form. Have the central hub areas getting quieter and quieter over time, have Riku and friends have trouble finding opponents because Forces are quitting. If you really wanted to rub it in you could have Patrick not show up because his player quit. As is, it's really just an implication with no definite substance to it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do-Ji does actually say something like "I'M TRYING, I CAN'T STOP IT!" when they try to talk him down, which is why they go in to kill it.

He said it so quickly and was hesitating so long over whether to activate the break decal that I actually wonder if he even did so in the first place, or if the hooded guy was able to remotely activate it without the user's permission once it had been installed. It'd at least be a step up in threat if the user could not only lose control but had no control over it's activation once it was installed. Especially if the hooded guy found some way to mass install them without people realizing or giving consent in the next episode.

Sazabi posted:

Butterflies shaped like colonies. Make it an attraction. "Come to GBN and watch the migration of the monarch side3s as they head south to Australia to complete their life cycle.

Colony cyliner centers with Libra fortresses and/or Solar Ray arrays for wings.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

Sassy, not assy.

So it's Assy MaGee? Has he been a Gunpla Detective all along? Is Sei's father Magee?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Iron Mask being there makes me wonder would Glemy be classified as a Char. He had no mask, but the Puru squad, red(ish) custom mobile suit, blonde hair and hidden agenda mean he could qualify as one depending on how stringent you want to be. Plus, there's the rumor he was originally written in to be one of the final villains as a literal replacement for Char once Char's Counterattack got the go-ahead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So McGillis isn't a Char either then? And yes, I'm aware he wore one for two episodes during Dort; but he was already being referred to as A Char before that point and it's not a defining part of his character.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So if Glemy wore a mask on screen for exactly one frame he'd be a Char?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

No. But he would be eligibleto join the masked squad.

Also did Loran wear a mask while he was pretending to be Loura?

I guess you could count make up as a mask?

Guy Goodbody posted:

If it was only one frame I'd wonder if it was an animation error, but just to be safe, yeah

It's good to know that the presence of a mask is the only important factor in deciding if someone is a Char clone.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not the only important factor.

It's just the most important factor

Your post indicated "doesn't have a mask" and "has a mask" as the only parts you thought worth noting. None of the rest even had bearing by your replies. So what would a non-mask guy have to do to qualify that Glemy doesn't out of interest?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

Are you asking what qualities define a Char clone. Or what a player has to do to get into the exclusive Mask force in GBN? Cause it sounds like someone said something to make you think the two have the same standards.

The first, which I'd thought was clear from my initial post but apparently wasn't. No one said anything to make me question that; it was seeing the pic of the various characters in masks (especially Iron Mask, who is often disputed as a Char clone) that made me wonder "would Glemy qualify as a Char clone?"

Guy Goodbody posted:

If a Gundam character has a mask, it's possible that they aren't Char. I've can't recall that happening, but it's possible that their personality and role within the story would be so wildly different as to make them not a char.

Even if they look and act like Char, use a suit that resembles his etc? This is what made me wonder about it in the first place. He shares a lot of similarity with Char, but doesn't have a mask which is often used as the defining feature. Even then though, lots of Chars don't have masks but glasses so the qualification appears to be less "mask" and more "anything that hides a part of your face". Even saying it's the eye covering that's important is insufficient, since Cronicle and Schwarz don't cover their eyes. It's a really vague stipulation, but appears to be held quite rigid despite that vagueness.

Guy Goodbody posted:

But while we're on this topic I think that it's worth noting that Build Divers is the first Gundam series to have a female Char.

Well, Try did have Lady Kawaguchi, but I'd personally say Katejina is a female Char; since she is a blonde haired character who uses a red mobile suit at the end of the show and is heavily defined by her rivalry with the main character but who appears to have her own agenda within the enemy faction. She even shares a somewhat odd relationship with a child of the opposite sex. I realize it's not a heavily supported proposition though, so I wouldn't blink if anyone else disagreed.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

fair enough, Build Divers is the first show with a female main Char. Rain is technically a Char, but she wasn't G Gundam's main Char, even though she was a bigger character than G Gundam's Char

you're right, it does get complicated

See, I would say Rain doesn't count since she was just wearing something similar to Schwarz for one or two episodes so she could rile Domon. It doesn't define her character in any way; it's just a thing she did. Counting her as one just appears to be going overly technical for no reason. McGillis is the same. He wore a mask for a specific purpose at Dort, so he could act with relative impunity but the mask wasn't a central part of his design or identity. It was just a reference for the sake of fun. Even Char doesn't see any need for a mask after Zeta. Hell, even in Zeta he discards the Quattro disguise at Dakar and appears to have moved beyond it. So I'd say he himself is a show of one if you really want to get technical, since he has none in Char's Counterattack but is unmistakably still Char. Which is why I'm not sure the mask is really that big of a deal, as far as qualifications go since a lot of Char's traits are shared by other characters and just as important to Char. Graham was seen as the good kind of Char clone in 00 season one for instance, since while he was obviously inspired by Char as a blonde haired rival, that was about all he had in common and he was driven by different motives for different goals. He's definitely a Char by season two, but even in season one people were calling him one despite the lack of a mask.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 5, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

In my view, these shows are mostly at their best when they're about banging robot toys together and making noises with your mouth

Wasn't one of Sei and Mao's early "fights" just the two of them sitting in Mao's room imagining how a battle between their two Gunpla would go while Reiji looked on bemused?

Sazabi posted:

Sad edge Lord's with magic game breaking stickers are not. Also why even wear the hood. No one but the sadelf is goingto recognize him.

He wouldn't recognize him either unless the hooded guy's avatar looked exactly the same as he did in real life, since Koichi has never played GBN with the guy. I suppose he could be trying to obscure his "face" from tracking cameras, since it's virtual environment and the mods can record and track everything; but he's already loving with every single recording on an admin level so it seems kind of pointless. I'm kind of hoping when the hood is pulled back there's just nothing there and the cloak/hood itself is his model.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I didn't even fully enjoy bad Haro because after wolf guy grabbed Haro's cloak and a Haro jumped out the door I was just wondering why he'd had a human face until he very conveniently didn't. Even when he's piloting the Biggest Zam he's barely animated, taking a lot of the potential comedy out of the scene. I wish there'd been a Haro pushing decals on people all along. Maybe a different color or with some new distinguishing mark drawn on every appearance. A goatee in one episode, a hat in another, an evil smirk in a third and so on. Then have the Haro in a tiny specialized cockpit working all the buttons and pedals instead of just two levers.

Even the Biggest Zam was kind of a disappointment, because when Riku is flying around in trans-am two of the toe missiles smash in to each other and one stabs through the other so I was hoping he'd use one of them as a temparary weapon to damage the Biggest Zam and give everyone the idea to use it's own power against it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Turns out the bad guy is right, the fights matter a lot more when there's a Gunpla on the line.

Do they? Beyond needing to spend time physically repairing your gunpla in person rather than letting a computer do it digitally there's no difference. It's just plastic instead of data. The actual fighting and friendship aspect are still identical, and GBN lets you do those things on a much wider basis since you can do so with the entire internet rather than your local gunpla hub. Not that the show has done a very good job demonstrating that given that all of Riku's friends, bar possibly Ayame are located within a few minutes walk of his house by the looks of things. Then again, when Riku was cradling the 00 Diver like a baby at the end I was mostly thinking "it's loving plastic you spaz", so maybe I'm not the audience they're quite shooting for.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Potsticker posted:

It's a weird show because the "bad guy" so far has the most sympathetic viewpoint. The battles do mean more to the audience when the plastic toys are on the line.

Not to me they don't. That scene at the end of the episode where Riku was cradling the 00 Diver Ace like it was a newborn child just made me annoyed, because I was sitting there thinking "it's loving plastic you spaz". It's no different than digital information really. Customizing something, including gunpla, in a game can be just as time consuming and taxing as doing so in real life too I'd imagine (not that I do either) considering that painting a unit in many games can take up hours as you get the paint and decals just to your liking, collecting and fitting parts just so etc. Dismissing that as less worthy than doing so in reality is understandable given that physical work is more common and easier to relate to, but is kind of annoying regardless.

3 posted:

I think this was the first episode that gave Riku actual pathos because for once something tangible is at stake and he had to pay an actual price for his victory.

On the other hand, it was also one of the few where there was something tangible on the line that was driving him to win.

3 posted:

Also, am I the only one who feels like the show was very deliberately mirroring Fellini's arc with some of Tsukasa's lines in this episode? Not the least of which the whole motif of incremental upgrades of the Astray No-Name over countless battles and the fact that Tsukasa directly refers to the No-Name as his partner. Basically I'm super confused at this point if we're not supposed to be rooting for him.

Going back to the point about the gunpla being plastic and/or data though, I feel like it worked in Fellini's case because for all that he addressed the Fenici as a partner, anthropomorphized it and wanted to win only with it; it also still felt like it was all something Fellini was consciously aware he was doing and that the real goal for him was that he wanted to always use one model and show his strength by winning with that same model regardless of how much he had to change it over time to compensate for loss. When the Fenici was almost destroyed at the end of the fight with Sei/Reiji he wasn't emotionally devastated that his "partner" was hurt, he was just ecstatic he'd had such a good fight and happy to have people he could hang out with and repair the Fenici in the company of. There's also the fact that Sei's only real arc in the show was learning to get over the idea of the gunpla he'd spent so much time making being damaged, since otherwise he couldn't fight properly. Riku seems to act like the gunpla is actually alive, afraid to use trans-am in case he hurts it and upset when the unit itself is damaged in any way.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's a pretty simple metaphor. There was a thing about Gunpla battling where the models took damage, and it was exciting and fun and people liked it a lot. But then there was a switch to this new thing featuring Gunpla battles where the Gunpla don't take damage, and it's dull and uninteresting. Some stick in the mud villains are like "no, this sucks, let's go back to the old way which is better" and they're absolutely right that the old one was better, but the new one exists and is fine and we all just need to accept Try and DiversGBN

I'd say that they two are simply different and that Riku and his force make a terrible advocate for what makes GBN good. Gunpla Duel is better because the stakes are more immediately resonant and it's more personal since you can see the person in front of you, but Gunpla Battle Nexus allows you to connect to a far wider audience and to share that love on a wider stage with a lower barrier for entry as well as a more forgiving penalty for failure. Riku's force would be more in line with this if they were like the Shuffle Alliance and all from different places, meaning he could only really meet and join with them through something with a more connected community like GBN. If Yuuki had been some guy he'd met in GBN who lived in Amsterdam in reality, Momo was some girl he met who lives in Zimbabwe and so on. Riku's arguments would feel more substantial if he'd been able to articulate that GBN isn't just good because everyone there loves gunpla, but because it gave him the chance to meet and befriend people well outside his normal sphere of influence, that it meant he didn't have start from scratch if he failed but could just pick up his unit and use his imagination to make up for his previous faults and so on.

As is, the show kind of has this anyway, since Avalon and the various high level players are ambiguous in their nationality, but it also mentions them mostly being confined to the JP server and it's never addressed that they from someplace he isn't or anything. More to the point, even if they are, them being secondary cast makes it less important to reinforcing the show's themes.

Sazabi posted:

Try had way more good bits than Divers. Try just had a lot of bad bits and the creepiest hosed scene in Gundam to date.

What bit was that? Super Fumina?

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 28, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They also weren't checking specifically for a Duel machine, and the gunpla cafe girl just showed them one to illustrate why Koichi was in such a depressive state. If she hadn't showed them that one they'd never have seen one because they weren't looking. I'm pretty sure Yuuki is the only one to indicate he's even heard of Gunpla Duel prior to the cafe girl's mention of it (does she have a name actually, assuming she's not MacGee?), and that even his familiarization was only a passing one.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 28, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lurking Haro posted:

It's not Namco, but...

The real reason GPD is dead is that it's "just" a duel arcade game. Tsukasa even said the only difference is that the machine smashes actual plastic together. I bet they could just turn a GPD machine into an GBN interface.

I would think an internet connection and headset would need to added to the duel machine and made it's primary interface too. Which would probably be possible, but are things the machine is more than likely missing by default (the headset it definitely is, whatever about an internet connection) and is another difference even if Tsukasa didn't note them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It wouldn't strain my suspension of disbelief at all, but I can't say as I'd like it happening since a lot of the current storyline seems to be "you have to get over the past and stop wallowing in it just because you liked it and hate everything new because it's different". Having the show decide "you know what, the past was pretty cool too and lets just have both past and present together instead" would be a fairly significant thematic misstep even for what is already a bad show in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s basically what they did with Ayame’s arc, though?

I don't think it is. Ayame was always fighting for the sole purpose of getting that momento back, so Riku gave her the momento so as to make sure she'd never be held under it's duress again. She hasn't left Build Divers to re-start or re-join her old SD force though, so it's not like she's trying to relive the past. She just wants a symbol of that happiness she can treasure while still moving on with a new force.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s not the only way this could have panned out, though. The alternative was for that Gunpla to be irretrievably lost, and for her to accept that and move on. It very specifically wasn’t, leaving the message as ‘things may change, but you can get some small measure of the past back through hard work, honesty, and the kindness of friends’.

Having Gunpla Duel come back as one more competitive avenue for the community isn't just getting back a small piece and symbol that you can treasure though; it's literally just recreating the past. Just because it's not as big as it was or GBN is more popular doesn't mean it isn't still a wholesale recreation of the past that Tsukasa values.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

‘There’s no difference except for these significant differences’. Your post is a weird post.

Tsukasa wanted to destroy GBN and make GPD the dominant force in Gunpla gaming. It existing as a cult hobby alongside the vast GBN community is manifestly not that.

I disagree with your definition of significant apparently, because GPD just becoming a secondary community instead of the primary one isn't significant at all in my opinion. It's still a wholesale recreation of the past that he is nostalgic for while dismissing any new ones. Ayame isn't dismissing the present in favor of the past; just fighting to have some happy memory of that past she can hold on to while still moving on. It isn't about Tsukasa not getting his exact goal, but about him failing to move on or consider other things. Not sure how that's hard to grasp, but apparently it is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Tsukasa will need to engage with the community he tried to destroy

Why? So long as there's an existing community he can play as part of without needing to poke and prod people just to get them to leave behind one thing to get them interested in trying his preferred thing, there's no reason for him to care that some other thing like it exists.

Darth Walrus posted:

and will have to play with a significantly smaller playerbase.

So what? It's not like every single person ever was playing Duel until the new hotness came along. So long as there's enough of a community in the area for competitive play there's no reason for him to care.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, why do you think he tried to destroy GBN in the first place? Why do you think he hates it so much?

The thing he liked was no longer in fashion, and the scene around that thing disappeared while all the friendships he had built up as part of it dried up too. I don't think he hated it because "why are you playing this inferior version when a better one exists?", I think he hated it because GBN overtook GPD and destroyed the community around it since so many left to try it. I think all his bitching about GPD is just him being bitter that he feels abandoned; hence crying when he's talking about it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tsukasa wants to play GPD with is friends -> he makes peace with GBN and reaches out to new people or does literally anything else healthy and non-destructive -> he gets to play GPD again = his good behavior is rewarded, a reformed antagonist gets a happy ending.

Except a major part of Tsukasa’s story isn't just that he was trying to destroy GBN, it's that even while he was part of it he refused to engage meaningfully with it on any level. He never created an account, he never tried to fight within it's boundaries and he never tried to meet people or talk with them as anything other than a pusher. Him getting a happy ending where he never does that is rewarding his nostalgia and bitter refusal to ever give a new thing a fair chance in favor of sticking with the old.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 28, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why should he have to give it a try?

So let me get this straight: one of the main character's stories is that they have to let go of the past and embrace the present to get over their depression, but when the villain has basically the same backstory his resolution should be "gently caress it, just reinvigorate the past and ignore the present"? Never mind that even at the end of the latest episode Koichi is trying to get Tsukasa to give GBN a fair try when he realizes who the villain is but Tsukasa angrily ignores him.

Potsticker posted:

Maybe you can't relate since you don't build gunpla in real life or create digital art?

Almost certainly.

Potsticker posted:

3D Computer modelling takes a lot of time too, especially if you want to make anything decent and yeah, even getting something just right in GB3 takes time, but it's no where near the personal investment and provides no where near the satisfaction when done. It's the same with other sorts of art. My physical paintings are way more precious than any digital art.

On the other hand, I can guarantee that people whose main and/or only medium is digital art would feel more strongly than someone like yourself who views it as a secondary avenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really don't understand why you're so opposed to people doing stuff they enjoyed in the past.

I really don't understand how you're equating thematic consistency in a TV show with real life. No, I wouldn't reply like that or have that expectation in real life. I have it in Build Divers because it's a fictional TV story, not because it's an ideal I expect everyone, everywhere in every avenue of life and situation to adhere to.

• Locked thread