Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gundam Build Divers is the newest series in the Gundam franchise, and the latest installment of the Gundam Build sub-franchise though no direct connection has been established in canon yet.

While the previous two series in the Build franchise took place in live arenas with real gunpla animated by magic plavsky particles, the majority of the action in Gundam Build Divers is based inside a fully-immersive MMO and comes with all the online game tropes you would expect like stupid costumes, scammers and even griefers. The online game format also means for the first time in Gundam Build history the plot isn't entirely enslaved to an ongoing tourney setup as the Gunpla Battle Nexus Online (GBN for short) appears to offer a wide range of mission types including 'Dramatic Mission', 'Quiz Mission' and of course the ancient rite of kumite.

Our main trio of characters for this season are:

Riku
Typical shonen protagonist, he's good at almost everything but has less common sense than a particularly naive potato. (May have superpowers) Pilots the 00 Diver, for which he sacrificed most of his Gunpla collection.

Yuki
The best friend and general know-it-all. Pilots the GM III Beam Master which he previously assembled for a contest and won because of course he did.

Momo
Tom-boyish classmate, gets into GBN because the boys did because it's a shonen series. :shrug: Pilots the Momokapool which contains another smaller Kapool. (Unconfirmed mid-season upgrade: fits inside larger Kapool)

The show airs Tuesdays at 5.55PM (JST) and is later uploaded to the GundamInfo Youtube channel.

Prologue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7j_l6_lCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

According to the the TV guide in today's episode Momoka tries to get the boys to join soccer club again but they tell her to shove it and go on an item fetch quest with Sarah.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, there goes the Magee/Nanami theory. Guess Magee is just some dude.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BreaK bOOst iS aPPlied

Y/N

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Episode 3 was pretty good, I think I enjoyed it the most so far actually.

I thought it was pretty much perfect that guests are logged in as Haros. Also kind of explains the cat ears on Momokas regular diver now as I guess she already had them so sure why not.

Pretty good action too, I was a little worried how they glossed over the first 3 rounds but the Jegan fight with the Mass Divers(?) made up for it and it looks like they are at least paying lip service to technical fighting even though Kyoya did break out the Win Button at the end. That said I must say I enjoyed the Age II Magnum reveal far more than I should have.

Also if they're running with the online game tropes I guess it makes perfect sense that the antagonists are a band of hackers/exploiters.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

The horn and color scheme makes me think it's a Galbaldy/Unicorn kitbash.

I don't see the Unicorn at all. The horn is definitely Zeonic and the color scheme as well as the style of the yellow vents are straight out of IBO.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It turns out that the bird thingy is related to this SD Gundam?

RX-Rei Maru (Zero Zero)
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/2333/

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This week on Build Divers, the Matrix.

Yah, this weeks episode was kinda dumb. The cowboy fight was almost good but the resolution was just boring. Tigerwolf was a pretty boring character too come to think of it.

"I wanna learn super attacks, lets go learn super attacks!"
We're veering dangerously close to Try territory. :ohdear:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 24, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seriously if this doesn't lead up to an episode where Riku gets absolutely dunked on and learns supers are useless I think my interest in the series may be dead.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, not special techniques like Particle kung-fu and glowing super-punches! Build Fighters NEVER stooped to that !

Well my point was more that that kind of stuff was the worst thing about Build Fighters and I was hoping they would be moving away from that stuff.

chiasaur11 posted:

Next episode, someone with a Breniss Ox avatar shows up in a generic Zaku, wins by just shooting people in the head from a mile away over and over.

You may be kidding but thinking about it that could make a pretty good episode because then they'dactually have to think and plan instead of spamming specials.

As an aside the Build Divers Twitter account announced a Gunpla customization contest. The winner of which will be featured in the show. Interestingly they're also accepting entries from the new Gundam Breaker game too.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 24, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You never know. They made a Leopard Da Vinci, but no Leopard Gundam. They're doing the Galbaldy Rebake but there's no HGUC Galbaldy

Well there is a Galbaldy getting a release around the same time.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I think they really need to stop trying to explain the game and just get on with it. Every time they try to aswer one question it raises even more. Like how Tigerwolf can break the ground around him and throw giant rocks and he's not hacking or exploiting so that's actually a system in the game for some reason? If so why haven't we seen that before, like if that's a real thing why are the mass divers even bothering with gunpla when they could just go supersaiyan and troll entire servers?

As for Riku, he's that guy in your gaming group who never wants to actually play the game and have fun, he just wants more experienced players help him grind for rare drops.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...The guy asking "hey, how can I learn to do cool poo poo like that, can you teach me so I can be that cool one day?" :confused:

Well it was a joke really but if you must insist of being obtuse, then yes, that guy. We're not at the tournament setup yet so Riku doesn't have any real impetus to get gud. He could just have fun with his friends doing missions but he is instead mildly obsessed with being the best and he's trying to take shortcuts to the top instead of just playing the game and getting better as a natural progression.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Had Petitgguys, had weirdo MSV stuff. Good enough episode!

Also Ayame saying what we're all thinking. Seriously how is Riku even important?

Also next episode preview confirms link to previous Build Fighters universe? "Battles where Gunpla actually move?" (Or whatever the English subs say, I wouldn't know)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 1, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well finally, we actually got some story progression, and our villain has a name.

I guess the Divers world isn't connected to the Fighters world? They were rather coy about the old Gunpla Duel system but it felt like they specifically avoided direct references to the other series.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear, bear bear. 7/10

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

First half was good, I'm always up for a bit of bear based fan service. Treasure hunt was also pretty cute, I laughed at the EWAC Zaku bit more than I really should have.

The final act kinda fell flat for me though. While it was interesting enough story development that the break decals were just being dealt like drugs, the fan girls sub plot relied way too hard on an emotional investment in these two cardboard cut outs we'd never seen before.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'd say that was a fairly middling episode. The crux of it leaned heavily on the Riku vs Blue kid and Riku vs Ogre rematches, but they kinda robbed us of the blue kid fight by having it happen off screen. What we saw of the Riku vs Ogre fight was pretty good, but it was interupted predictably by more break decal nonsense, so we end up with basically zero resolution except that blue kid's teammates love him anyway despite being a garbage character.

The rest of the team may as well have not even been there. Apart from that one bit for Ayame's story, nobody really even got a chance to do anything.

Overall though I think the series is suffering from a lack of direction, or at least very confused direction. The series made us sit through a lot of garbage on the premise that it was all about Riku's rise to the top of the Diver leagues, but then that disappeared abruptly and it was all about the fellowship of Riku making a name for themselves in the tournaments. Now in the next episode preview all the cool dudes are making a federation to go against the forces of darkness. :psyduck: Seriously guys, calm down, all we need is a well planned tournament storyline with the occasional wacky side quest. I don't think there's much to be gained by making an epic storyline.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the fight against Do-ji was never meant to be a rematch; It was a humiliatingly-quick beatdown, which was the whole point of it.

I get the point of it, it's just annoying that they lazily finished it off screen. It was a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the difference between Do-ji, the experienced but untalented player, and Riku, the plucky new talent. They could then take a few of Rikus moves from the Do-ji fight an have him play them against Ogre who, being both experienced and talented, would play off of them with relative ease. So overall we get a more concrete idea of where Riku stands in his progression and also reinforces the idea that while he was able to mostly keep up with Ogre even in Transam, he would have ultimately lost the fight if it hadn't been interrupted. Then we could actually have Riku show some god drat emotion over the whole thing.

Predictions for next episode: Rikus gonna get given a hilariously important position in the federation of cool dudes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

The side story manga will be Gundam Build Divers Break, featuring Gundam Turning Break

'Shining Break' actually, because it's based on Shining Gundam.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I wasn't too sold on the last episode but this one I legitimately enjoyed. Age II Magnum was pretty badass and the NT-D/funnel reference with Ayame was completely on point.

Also everyone who hoped Ayame's SD would transform into a real type, I guess you got your wish even though the episode went on to accidentally point out how it didn't thematically make much sense.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from the fact that it showed that even she had abandoned her beloved former Force's philosophy of only using SD Gundams?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to phrase your opinion as a question.

Anyway, I just felt that abandoning the SD philosophy didn't make much sense if her original incentive for working for the big bad was to retrieve the SD of Friendship.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I really have to agree, for all its flaws Divers does actually appear to be trying to tell a story.

What really separates it for me though personally is the fights. Try leaned really hard on big flashy special moves. I never finished the series but the last episode I did watch, the fight was basically 2 dudes exchanging ever increasingly large super beams until one of them fired the superest beam and won. Divers, while not always on point and perhaps a little confused about what it wants to be, did try to be more technical, if only at face value.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeesh, I really wish they'd stop leaning on the fake peril. Nobody is actually going to die, feel pain or even end with a messed up model so a lot of the acts of bravery, mercy etc. fall a bit flat.

It was kinda funny how the admins could actually see the destruction happening and their response was pretty much god speed Divers! You can't hand out some special admin superweapons or anything? No banhammers in the closet? I guess you could handwave the GN psycho wings as an unannounced admin superweapon though.

Having the big bad be a Haro on the other hand was the exact right kind of silly.

And next episode, as if you couldn't guess from big bad's trash talk, Riku has to face him in a REAL GunPla battle. I have a strong feeling I too will want to destroy GBN after that.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 19, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

They've already established that getting your gunpla hosed up or totaled has consequences in this world, despite it being a video game. Riku blowing out the GN drives when he lost to Ogre caused the 00 to have to spend time in the repair hangar, though it's not clear how much.

I think the problem is more how characters treat the consequences. Their reactions aren't "Aww shucks, guess I can't do anymore battles today." they're more "Aaagh help, I'm gonna actually factually die."

It hardly feels like Riku's crew even play the game that much anyways. I mean, we know for a fact he's not allowed to play more than 2 hours a day. Good thing the Mass Diver singularity happened during Riku's very limited play time.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

In this case, the drama makes a bit more sense. They’re racing against the clock to capture and identify the dude sabotaging the game (and, later, racing against the clock to prevent him from irreparably wrecking said game), and because they locked the server to trap him, any character deaths will be permanent until the operation ends. In other words, if you die, you’ll no longer be able to help stop him. Not only that, but once the Biggest Zam starts directly erasing and corrupting data, there’s a decent chance your account will be unrecoverable if it gets you.

Well if we're coming from the tech angle then why didn't the admins force shutdown, patch out the break decal exploit and restore from backup?

The show just feels really flimsy with it's internal logic, which is annoying considering how many episodes they wasted trying to explain the world.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they had that discussion a few episodes back and explained the guy 2eas either an insanely good hacker or had root access permission to GBN's core code. It's not something patching or a forced shutdown would fix.

Darth Walrus posted:

The whole point was to avoid something as disruptive as a system shutdown. I imagine that given Break Decal interference, you’d have to go back quite some way and lose a great deal of data to do a system restore.
And I could buy that excuse up until now but on the verge of the entire game being deleted by a megalomaniac who has made himself invincible to player attacks, the admins response is still "Well let's see how this plays out..."

Also an infuriating reminder, we're 12 episodes in and Riku has yet to ask Sara any normal human questions as far as we've seen, and yet there still seems to be a PG-safe romantic relationship forming. :argh:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That episode could have been 10 minutes long and miss nothing. Astray No Name was fantastic, the death of 00 Diver was good. Everything else was meh.

I kinda want Tsukasa to join the superfriends so we can see more of his edgy gunpla but I bet the reincarnation of 00 Diver would still hog the glory.

Also I guess that's one of the secret gunpla fromthe hobby show revealed and the other's probably Riku's new ride.

EDIT: Awww yeah, that's the stuff.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1011540896708325377?s=19

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 26, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it just me, or does it look like Riku's new Gunpla is going to be a Wing Gundam?

I sort of expected it to be another 00 clone or maybe a Qanta to keep on theme, but now you've said that, I will accept nothing less.

Edit: Looking at it, yeah the arms are sort of in that direction but the head, waist and legs are still very 00.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 26, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yup, it was another barely unique 00 clone. Does Riku just not own any other colors?

Looks like everyone and their dog is getting a mid-season upgrade though which feels wasted because nobody even did a god drat thing in the entire first half except wonder boy.

Also everyone hoping for a tournament arc, prepare to have your balls sharply tugged in the post credits sequence. It's another big bad and they're after Sara oh em gee. Hell maybe she'll get lucky and new big bad will treat her like an actual person.

Oh and I'm glad they answered the great mystery of whether or not Ayame has a mouth. :downs: Though I kinda feel like that's a downgrade for her character

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It was played for laughs during the episode but thinking about it now, Riku was kind of a dick to all the people who helped him.

"Hey Riku, good to see you buddy. That mass diver incident was pretty crazy huh?"
:spergin:"Shut up and give me new gunpla ideas"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I have to agree this show has consistently done it's best to stomp on any good will I had towards it. We're over half way through and I'm having trouble believing how much screen time they've managed to waste. The prelogue alone was a better show than the show in its entirity.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ugh, that was utter tripe. I'm really sick and tired of Riku being the most special boy in the nexus.

Once again the best parts of the episode are all Momo, Koichi and Ayame are wasted, and Yukki barely exists.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 10, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Grappler arms

Actually come to think of it, the shuttle build opens up a can of worms. The system can apparently recognize unofficial model kits and calculate their abilities, so yeah, really why not? If we're going that far though we may as well just put a bunch of custom built boosters onto one of the more powerful mobile armors and launch that into space.

Then again, why even bother going all the way to space, Dynames had that rifle that can breach the atmosphere so while yes it's not very entertaining to watch a bunch of kids spawn camp the fish empire from the comfort of Earth, I find it hard to believe a team of much cheaper players hadn't already tried it. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

The fortress had an extremely large and powerful I-Field generator, which means that pulling a Dynames wouldn't really do a lot. Building a shuttle for suicide ramming also probably wouldn't do a whole lot, because the thing is defended by a giant minefield and some mobile suits and also has a host of defensive weaponry.

So you're saying we need a Dynames AND a suicide shuttle?

Actually come to think of it, 0083 happened. New plan, 2 man team. One in a shuttle fitted with GP02's nuke bazook, one in a ball far far away for the sake of having a remaining team member at the end.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 15, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting that Lotus Fortress itself is essentially a Mobile Armor with its rocket-powered claws. And it's a whole lot bigger.

Neo Zeong though, just destroy all their weapons. You're pretty much safe unless the fish empire has Barnacle Links and Riddhe Mackerel on hand.

Edit: Once they've stopped fighting over Minnow-va Zabi of course. :hurr:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 15, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

In the new episode of build divers: A talking penis.

Also some ropey rear end excuses for animation.

Momo finally got her chance to shine though :3:

And it looks like no new episode next week.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 17, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

What was broadcast instead in Japan was a 'special' where some celebrities visited the Gundam Base and made Gunpla. Then there was a short montage of all the fights so far.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And why are you not telling us which Gunpla they made? :colbert:

The details are important, you know!

edit: Oh my god, Bandai are insane and I love it. :allears:.

It looked like they were gonna build Gogg, Acguy and Dom because that's what the celebrities most resembled, but instead they made kits from Build Divers for obvious reasons.

Dom made AGE II Magnum, Gogg made Seravee Sheherazade and Acguy made Momokapool but they had her switch the arms for Grimoire Red Beret's so they could show off the ~customization~ aspect. They also had them play around with Gundam markers, the results were predictably awful.

They did also show off that 3D scanning thing but it's fairly underwhelming at the current stage. It's pretty much just a standard 3D scanning setup with a minigame based on preset movement parameters, as no matter what you scan they all act basically the same. Nothing an engineering student couldn't whip up in their spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That was a pretty good episode. I've always suspected it but it turns out this show really is better without Riku in it. And incidentally Sara is a much more likeable character when she actually does things.

It's just a shame it took 17 episodes to get this far, and with less than 10 episodes left I'm increasingly doubtful that we'll ever get to see the kickass 10v10 battles the Prologue specifically promised. I mean really, what happened to all that, we've still only seen two and a half regular force battles. As a whole, I hate this show so very much. #tsukasadidnothingwrong

• Locked thread