Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Yo I heard there were hot guys with fox ears in this?

it also has two oni dudes and this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I feel it's only fair to make you aware of the non-zero chance that Magee is Nanami using a male avatar for GBN.

i'm not sure how to feel

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sarah better be reiji's kid

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after Try, it's really disappointing that this series has even worse characters and is spending more time on boring mmo mechanics than them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It's been three episodes, what kind of fully amazing, fleshed out characters did BF have in three episodes. We just got introduced to Sei and Reiji and all we knew about them both was the Reiji was a smug kid who was good at fighting and sei was a good model builder who sucked at gunpla. We got 5 minutes of yuuki and 2 minutes of Fellini.

None of these guys were as grating as Yuuma and Sekai were.

i can go back and check who all showed up in each series later but the point is more that the main cast of this show has zero charisma or even just single character traits to make them stand out. even though the cast of Try quickly stagnated and seemed to annoy everyone, they had personalities and cat dynamics like immediately.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kanos posted:

As for the characters, I think Riku and Yuuki are very bland right now and need more development and personality beyond "want to be good at gunpla, i guess?", but I've really liked the other characters they've introduced. Nanami and Magee are both really fun "mentor" figures, Momoka emotes a lot so she's entertaining, and Ogre is a fun first major rival.

i can definitely agree with this. Nanami and Magee are great and i think both ogres and the ferret guy already have plenty of potential.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and then he stared lovingly into the ferret's eyes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

next week riku and yuki get their first character traits at furry conversion camp

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this show's worst crime is actually having a custom tequila gundam that will never ever be a kit because there's no base kit to tweak it from.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah wait, i just saw the post credits scene and it's utterly laughable that they are already pretending like the bland-rear end lead has been "acknowledged" by powerful people and is thus Important

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

where gbf was 50% gunpla and 50% sports, this is 70% fake vrmmo bullshit and 30% gunpla

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the sad man and he would make a better protagonist

though i also feel this way about momoka

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

If Momoka was the protagonist the show would just be Chihayafuru with Gundams instead of poetry cards

so you're saying my idea is good. thank you

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

his unique worldview is making boring high quality straight builds in a world full of customs and kitbashes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Sorry she's a girl, thereby she must had an SD or a "Cute" gunpla.

I really hate how that's still a thing three series in.

weirdly it means the girls get the only suits that are interesting in concept/to watch fight, so there's at least some upside.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wow y'all were not kidding about the awful excuse for conflict in this ep. and they waste the cool BuCue on it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I'll admit that I don't really get why folks seem kind of down on the conflict. Didn't GBF also had some forced conflict around this point too? There was that part in the inn where they fought debt collectors, or the China vs. Caroline fight.

Anyway, I'd totally kill for an episode that showed us that Dancing With The GunPla event. :allears:

tbh i don't have an encyclopedic memory of gbf but also don't really care whether it had some dodgy writing that this (overall worse) series has doubled down on. it would be a testament to the strength of gbf that its strengths managed to transcend that sort of thing, whereas this show hasn't managed it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the drug metaphor is really weak

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Team Rocket is a group of fun characters with personality, a thing this show doesn't even have for its main cast let alone villains

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah, bandai syndrome

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GBF even felt the need to escalate into Plavsky particles malfunctioning and making the fights actually real to the degree they could damage the real world, which sure was a place to go.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

break decal v2, now voiced by magee

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think i would bother recommending the show since it doesn't get over the big writing issues until 1/3 of the way in, and there's not enough character or action stuff before that point to make it worth sticking out. even now we still have the blandest protagonists ever, they're just being carried by the overarching plot having momentum thanks to the strong supporting cast.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is just objectively wrong

lol

anyway the Try comparison stuff itt just seems to be a vehicle for people to bash on one show or the other when they each have their own problems that make watching both a chore. there's some overlap in how both center incredibly bland leads to the detriment of interesting side characters (especially female characters), but Try doubles down on this more while Divers has entirely new issues with the dumb mmo stuff. Divers has improved lately but it's not like Try was completely without good episodes either. the only other main thing is Divers may have an entire second cour yet to redeem itself...or fall into being a show similarly bad to Try, but we can't tell yet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Tournament arcs can rule. The last arc of dragon ball super was one big rear end tournament and it was one of my favorite shounen arcs ever.

Although there's always a big risk of the thing just dragging along due to uninteresting
characters and fights.

even Dragonball gets away with three entire tournament arcs that are really strong, having Goku lose two and barely eke out a win in the third. none of them interrupt the plot because they tie into the characters' quest for growth and even directly tie into stuff like dealing with Piccolo. obviously not every tournament arc will be so well-crafted but i definitely don't write the trope off out of hand because they can be amazingly executed like DB or Haikyuu.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sorry guys i can't raid, my gunpla's cooldown timer still has six hours left

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

same but the weasel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so i take it this show has not improved in any significant sense since the first cour? i dropped out just before the ep where the ninja girl gets a sad flashback

• Locked thread