Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If Magee isn't the gunpla store lady I'm out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
For me there was absolutely nothing to like about the most recent episode other than the Gunpla showcase and the admittedly very clever detail-with-visual-example of building your parts wrong translating directly to poor performance.

Ironic how they acted tired from walking in the desert when literally an episode ago they covered that you don't grow physically tired in GBN - though I'm sure you can attribute that to mental boredom. Also incredibly difficult for me to care about any "dire" situation that doesn't include Mass Divers. You got tied up by some really obvious crooks, how dangerous, except you're in a game, don't have your gunpla or anything for them to steal, and can just log out... presumably? What's the danger, you get griefed and lose some rank?

I wish more anime that play the MMO angle would fully embrace it. As it stands it's hard to get on board with a lot of the current antics because half the time they want to meticulously explain the systems and the other half they go out the window. Mass Divers get to break that rule and create panic but they're starting to feel like a crutch. Today's enemy is ALSO a Mass Diver! Who woulda thought?

At least Frito Bandito Gundam wasn't. He was rad, but we'll never get a kit of that.

I really want to like this because Build Fighters was special and I was hoping they'd rebound after Tri.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Finally an episode I can get behind and enjoy. So ready for and glad the real action started happening. It was a well coordinated battle and I think it flowed really well. Love the Gabaldy Rebake.

Only thing I'm not huge on is everyone important and their dad are somehow invested in these rando nobodies that just started paying. But hey, that's anime for you.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Mordja posted:

Eh, I figure they're doing it so the show will have decently established rivals for later on. Each one of these guys represent a different team the MCs will have to fight further down the line after all.

Oh yeah, I buy that. It made more sense in the Tournaments of the previous shows because you HD this pool of players that garnered a reputation and then there was a small distribution for people to meet and form rivalries and bonds.

But in Divers we have presumably thousands of people play this game and all the big players - and also a random villain? - are invested in Riku and Co.

Not gamebreaking to me by any means and this does happen a lot with "MMO" anime where it's just a setting and they don't commit to it, just still feels goofy to me. But oh well! I like the bigwigs and seeing them fight is fun.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

KoB posted:

I think what I hate most about this show is that all the Cool Guys love to heap praise onto the main kid but its completely unearned from what the show shows us.

So far all I know about Riku is:
- he's never done Gunpla battle prior to GBN
- HE'S FAST

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I haven't watched for three episodes. Until we get a tournament or something - anything - with forward momentum I can't care about Riku and his cardboard cutout team. Thought about watching the most recent because it seemed like a potential rival combing back but the threads' reception is more than enough to keep me away

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sazabi posted:

Did see the fight between main group and Rommel's newbies? Because that's been the only episode worth watching so far. Even with it's own problems, episode manages to deliver fun if you can believe it.

Yeah, that's the last I saw and I really enjoyed it. But afterwards it seemed to go back to business as normal and no amount of bear bear charm could make me waste half an hour.

I don't wanna be jaded or come down on the show but I loved BF and Tru really was a letdown in a lot do ways, so I thought surely this time they could get it right again.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The MMO aspect really is double edged because there are honestly no stakes to what happen in GBN other than wounded pride and lost loot or exp so far.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Raxivace posted:

I'd say that's been a problem with all three Build series to varying degrees.

I agree - In Fighters at least since it was a new concept, there were tournament stakes, and the models could break, it felt like losses, cheaters, and upgrades meant something substantial. I got that vibe from the Force battle a bit but insofar it's pretty difficult for me to be invested especially when this is all in an MMO world.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Jumped back in since it seems like things have finally gotten moving. Still pretty lukewarm about this episode, especially with the admins unable to take action on the Break Decal users. Glad that they did address the fact that you should contact the GM for it, but the idea of "we don't have any proof" is a bit silly.

Fun to see a lot of gunpla in the battle and looking forward to whatever nonsense transformation Ayame has. For some reason SD's becoming HG scale has always been cool.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, having actual evidence of cheating is actually a big deal for stuff like this when it comes to online games. And given how extremely sensitive Japan is about appearances and public opinion, I could totally see the admins hesitating to pull the trigger on ban waves without actual hard evidence to back up the claims of players who were victims of the cheaters. Without that evidence, it boils down to a bunch of cases of "my word against theirs" and I don't think whoever's in charge of GBN's PR and finances want to deal with the fallout of thousands of players protesting that they were "banned unfairly without proof."

You misunderstand, I totally get the cultural side of things - what is bonkers is the idea that they have no proof inside an MMO. Game logs and admin tools exist in mmos. You don't need an admin spying on you to catch you doing anything, you just extract a game log or recording. They even turn purple and just talk about how they're using illegal break decals. Is there no report abuse function to just summon the GM? Can other players not capture footage? Why can't the GM just look at the game logs from the illicit meeting and determine the exact PC trying to sell decals? "My word against theirs", except you are paying a game in a reality where the GM can control, record, and modify most aspects of it to catch you.

It's all a bit silly and I know I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief but every time an anime gets set in an MMO things like this happen. I had fun this episode.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kanos posted:

The discussion with the GM hits this stuff. The Break Decals are somehow papering over their interference and leaving no trace. The champ even specifically brings up Stea(a Break Decal being used in a huge public place with tons of witnesses/potential victims) and Rommel's squad getting wrecked(a high profile squad getting annihilated by nobodies with video footage of what happened) and is told that all of the logs and footage have been analyzed and no explicit proof of wrongdoing has been found. Kyoya and Rommel talk about it and wonder if the guy making the decals somehow has access to the central program of the game because it doesn't make sense how he can make hacks that hide themselves so perfectly.

Either Caped Crusader has friends on the inside, is an employee of the GBN company himself, or is some kind of super hacker, basically.

Yeah, time to put my foot in my mouth. I went back through that segment and not only did they explicitly mention logs and a report function, they even showed the GM's perspective of the video footage with the Break Decal effect conspicuously absent. They did cover their bases - I shouldn't have been AFKing in an actual MMO while watching this episode, apparently.

Super hacker seems to be the play but I feel like since our villain is going to lengths to hide his or her identity it would be a nice twist if it were someone in administration. These kinds of technical exploits would make a lot more sense coming from someone with access to the game code.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I picked this up again for the Break Decal finale but after this episode wherein I found myself skipping around and rolling my eyes, I'm out but will monitor this thread for nuggets if they happen. I couldn't bring myself to care for a single thing that happened this week. The fight wasn't even good. At least Ayame's Gunpla has a cool design for both the SD and HG models.

I honestly cannot believe it's been eleven entire episodes. Not trying to be a hater, I just absolutely loved Build Fighters, suffered through Try and kept telling myself this time they'd figure out what they did wrong. For me, right now, this is even worse than Try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Personally I'd do all that but also do all that to my funnels, too

• Locked thread