Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Kanos posted:

Ogre is specifically introduced by Magee as "An up-and-coming fighter. He's determined to defeat the champion, and his skill and rank are improving." He's not a high ranked super pro, he's a tryhard who is working his way up the ladder. As for the fight itself, I just rewatched it to confirm, and Ogre is kicking the poo poo out of him even after Riku uses Trans-Am until Riku sacrifices his primary weapon in order to buy a moment to slip away, at which point Riku starts a frontal charge directly into Ogre's prepared face before his gunpla overloads(he crashes directly in front of Ogre). Riku has some good moves but there's absolutely no point at which he could be construed to be winning the fight.

Reiji, a complete goddamn newbie who has no loving clue what Gunpla even is at that point, was able to singlehandedly whoop the poo poo out of a bunch of gunpla otaku in the bar scene while deliberately handicapping himself in the most ludicrous way possible and then he was able to go pound for pound with Ricardo Fellini, who is a world class gunpla champion who placed in the finals of the world tournament, enough so that Ricardo found fighting him to be engaging and entertaining. That's way more of a bullshit asspull of skill than anything Riku has done so far.

QFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

RillAkBea posted:

Well it was a joke really but if you must insist of being obtuse, then yes, that guy. We're not at the tournament setup yet so Riku doesn't have any real impetus to get gud. He could just have fun with his friends doing missions but he is instead mildly obsessed with being the best and he's trying to take shortcuts to the top instead of just playing the game and getting better as a natural progression.
As far as I can tell it's Riku's natural competitiveness that's driving him to get better. He saw how awesome you can be, and how far away he is from being that awesome. He wants to be that awesome, which is his motivation. You don't need to have a tournament in order to get better. It might accelerate the process, but motivation can be internal as well as external.

Additionally, pretty much all of the top players that we saw - Kyoya, Magee, and Tigerwolf - all say that Riku gets better through hard work and by gathering friends that he works well with in the game. Even the whole "Special Move" thing is something that's gated behind the level system, and you can't shortcut the level system. Unless you're That Guy who ganks newbs for the points, but the anime has already presented that kind of behavior as being bad. Ultimately the top players in GBN all say, "The road to greatness is paved with hard work."

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

chumbler posted:

Funnels are for losers (excluding the Nu gundam).

Excuse me, police? I'd like to report some HERESY

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Is it even possible to make a Turn A good enough to meet Dark History specs?

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just want an Exia with dual switch-blades :sigh:.

• Locked thread