Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

I've been reading old mafia games and am kind of interested. Is that slot still open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hello, new guy here. Please be gentle.

And by that I mean don't turbo me

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Straight White Shark posted:

use of strikethru is a classic scumtell

Oh, hey, I remember your name. What ever happened to the Siralim 2 LP?

Abandoning LP's is a classic scumtell, too.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm working on starting it up again soon but the faster I get lynched the longer I will put it off

Threatening people already, huh?

Scum detected.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I don't know if the nod to the possibility of alignment changing is confirming that as a mechanicn beyond the strong suggestion, but I imagine it's going to turn reads in their head in short order.

So confirming! Let's play some mafia.

I'm going to plot out my victory strategy now.

This is a 15 player game.

If there's alignment changing there is probably a cult or a recruiter with some limited ability with a vote control win condition.

There's almost guaranteed to be 1 3P

Probably a 2 to 4 player scum team. If it's less than 3 scum, possibility for 2 3P, a survivor alongside a recruiter mayhap.

No player reads yet obviously, but I'll be looking to see how things for within this initial speculation.

I second this notion. The OP says "minimal night abilities", but specifically nods towards alignment changing. On top of this, the flavor for the d0 stuff is very cult-ish to begin with. It reminds me of System Shock 2 in a way. I am curious about having both night kills and recruiting on the same scum team though... Could be pretty powerful.

If there isn't more than one team, at least. Could be a cult and a scum team? I don't know. I don't have much experience with mafia, but cults usually don't have much in the way of kill abilities, right?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Harold Krell posted:

It is important to mention that the OP also mentions that this is a very role-lite mafia game, so it can even be fathomed that there may be no way of recruiting people at all.

Likewise, there exists the slim possibility of there being more than one third-party team. Me thinks there is at least one serial killer role and even the possibility of a werewolf-like role where the player switches from third-party alignment to town/scum depending on whether it's day or night, but this is only an initial d0 guess.

Well, they did say there's no night phase, so I dunno how that would work, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless. Although given the apparent inability of town to defend himself, having two or more night kills might be a bit strong, as well?

I don't know. The whole "alignment changing" bit in the OP is just throwing me into a loop here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

What confused me a little bit was the talk about a werewolf style character. But even if Harold were scum, how would they know about a role that'd only really make sense as 3P? They'd have to be the 3P themselves which makes no sense to "speculate" the info out into the open.

Anyway, after doing some early reads, I'm still not 100% on Harold. But what strikes me as odd is how quickly people jumped on them. Their spec is really weird - but, more so than anything, it's not even really commenting on scum teams, in my opinion. It seems more of a really weird 3P speculation to me. Which a scum-team wouldn't really know about either.

What I think is, that this is a scum team trying to jump on a scumslip that doesn't exist. But I don't think it's AA, either. Their post is so short it feels like they didn't properly analyze Harold's post.

More so than anything Rock's post stands out to me, although I'm not quite sold on Retro either.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Uhh we should give the other players some time to participate; before accusing them of lurking. The entry length for this game has been pretty long. So I think it’d be pretty understandable to take a little bit to get in here

This just feels so grasping to me. This early there's literally nothing else to talk about other than setup spec, so I find the scum accusations on that front bogus anyway. But this post right here just feels... forced. As if trying to direct attention even more towards Harold, who made a weird post and already has some heat over it.

While I admit this part is grasping at straws, but them not voting Harold after clearly having read their posts and trying directing their attention their way may be an attempt at having a defense of "Well I didn't vote them!" if Harold should flip town.

It may be a bit early, but I don't really like what Rock's few posts so far have been trying to do.

As such, ##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

(This is how you vote correctly, right?)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

Mafia edit

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Triple post to actually ##Vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

FIFTH TIMES THE CHARM, I'M GOOD AT MAFIA GUYS

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

So you donít like the fact that I said we should give players some time to post? Haroldís next post is them saying everyone should have posted already as a courtesy

I don't like your tortured attempt at misinterpreting what he's saying. Asking people to confirm their participation isn't wrong either.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Atomic Soda posted:

this also stood out to me, maybe scum looking for something to back up a case moving a bit too quickly. ##vote irsmartlikerock

your vote appears to have failed and added a vote to yourself, just fyi.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yes. I have played a ton of Throne of Lies though, and read some older mafia games, so perhaps i look like I know what I'm doing.

Which i don't, by the way. I just think that rock is misinterpreting on purpose here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yami reads and sounds like an experienced player making good contribution and commentary. For a new player, they are bring a lot to the table WRT to this thread.

Thank you for the vote of confidence

I know I may be tunneling on Rock a little bit, but something about their way of posting just doesn't gell well with me. Apart from what I've already said, I noticed this post:

quote:

So you donít like the fact that I said we should give players some time to post? Haroldís next post is them saying everyone should have posted already as a courtesy

Which I feel like doesn't really rebuke my post at all? It just doubles down on their attempt to shade Harald, again with seemingly deliberate misinterpreting of their words. To me this looks less like a defense, and more of a "Don't look at me, look at them!" redirection, which feel scummy to me.

But granted, this is just d1. I don't have that many reads yet, and only two people I really think as town at the moment. But Rock still is my biggest scum read atm, and I'd be very interested to see how their flip would reflect on earlier discussion at some point.

I will say that in hindsight, the Krell vote wasn't a good one.

The small pile up on I R SMART LIKE ROCK looks bad. ROCK's comment was innocuous.

Especially in relation to this post. Commenting on a "2 man pileup" seems a bit strange. I don't think others found the comment quite as innocuous as they already stated, so this different opinion is weird.

I still feel like I'm tunneling in Rock atm, but this could also be AA defending his scumbro while trying to maintain distance, but I'm worried my opinion might be biased already.

As such, I'd like some thoughts from others?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is this a pileup or isn't it? If the pressure on Rock is only coming from 2 people then a different opinion is not weird; if people are generally agreeing that Rock is suspicious it's not a mere "2-man" pileup. You can't have it both ways.

AA is calling it a pileup, and I presumed it because of the two votes (well, mine and Atomic Soda's attempt at voting them.)

Which is especially curious to me since they didn't call out a pileup on Harold when two people insta-voted him.

What's your read on AA and Rock, Shark?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I noticed that you partially quoted me and left out the second half where I explicitly state that Harold is likely town. Then I go on to talk about the previous game where we had lurker guns and several lurkers got day lynched. This caused the game to progress through ~2-3 days very quickly and completely changed the group composition as they were all townies. I'll admit that I'm probably overly sensitive about this as Mord was a part of that game and would be aware of the issues we faced

Yami, I honestly believe that you are town and that we got off to the wrong start. You're right to keep an eye on me if you feel that I'm acting weird but we've got a claimed Watcher that can solve this debate rather quickly

For what it's worth, I'd rather lynch a lurker. There are way too many people that aren't even in my spreadsheet yet because I only recorded people who posted.

I'm kind of curious about all these power claims in a game that's supposed to be role lite, actually. And yes, I noticed your "Harold is likely town" post, I quote stuff that sticks out to me. You'll notice this with AA's post I quoted earlier as well.

While you're here, what's your read on AA? They're kind of my biggest null-read atm.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm going to ##unvote for now. Still don't trust you entirely, but at least you post, so... you get to live. for now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm a hypercharger so that can't be true.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I don't believe you had claimed before now. So it looks like you just did on accident?

Hey, I'm new, I make mistakes.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandwolf posted:

C'mon dude, I know this is a joke, but I agree. I think your obvious breadcrumbing is more scummy than town. It's effectively a completely safe gambit for scum to pull, and pretty risky as an actual town power role. Unless you're not a power role, in which case, I still think it makes more sense for scum to pull.

Also, hi, sorry, was with the girlfriend all weekend. I am here now, reading through.

This is Yami Fenrir's first participation in a mafia game, correct? They had a couple posts that pinged my hard but they couldn't seem to decide if they've played mafia before or not. Followed up with this:

I genuinely can't tell if he's being facetious.

I stated already that I have not played SA mafia before. I have, however, quite a lot of hours in Throne of Lies, a similar social deduction game. As such im decently familiar with a lot of concepts in the game, especially power roles, but the fastpaced nature of the game disallows scumreading on the level of SA Mafia, being more ability based.

On top of that I've read a few older games and familiarized myself with the playstyle before the recruit went up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandwolf posted:

You must be a hell of an autodidact, Yami, because your posting really does not strike me as that of a new player.

Sandwolf posted:

C'mon dude, I know this is a joke, but I agree. I think your obvious breadcrumbing is more scummy than town. It's effectively a completely safe gambit for scum to pull, and pretty risky as an actual town power role. Unless you're not a power role, in which case, I still think it makes more sense for scum to pull.

Also, hi, sorry, was with the girlfriend all weekend. I am here now, reading through.

This is Yami Fenrir's first participation in a mafia game, correct? They had a couple posts that pinged my hard but they couldn't seem to decide if they've played mafia before or not. Followed up with this:
[quote]
I genuinely can't tell if he's being facetious.

Sandwolf posted:

You must be a hell of an autodidact, Yami, because your posting really does not strike me as that of a new player.

I don't know why this is even up for debate. The fact that I've not taken part in any other mafia games is verifable. But I know what you're trying to imply here, and I'm going to tell you why it's bullshit.

You're implying that I'm scum and being told what to post by another player. But you know why it's bogus? Because I post way too much for that. I'm constantly drawing attention to myself via posting, and I'm scumhunting. A scum teammate would be telling me to not be so incredibly obvious about being tutored, as well.

But let me tell you why I stick out to you so much.

Because you're scum, and know I'm not part on your team.

You and AA are the only ones to point out the contrast between the fact I'm new to mafia games, and how experienced my posting seems. I think that town would have noticed this *eventually*. But you two noticed it *immediately*. Is it because I'm *not* on the scum team?

I'm curious. Either way, Sandwolf's post history amounts to roughly this:

CCKeane posted:

This is a lot of words to say nothing.

Even their prod towards me feels regurgiated from AA. If AA didn't tell them to do it, that is. The fact that AA went quiet after trying to jump on Harold does not sit well with me either. Did they realize their bandwagon attempt failed and are now trying to lay low?

Either way, Sandwolf is barely providing the illusion of content as is, and the only thing worthwhile they've done is their prodding of me. It took them two days to show up at all, and then all they do is throw shade at people. No casing, no real content, no real scumhunting.

Sandwolf is pinging my scumdar like crazy right now. ##vote Sandwolf

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ofc it does, it's d1 and i have no idea what I'm doing.

I've seen that exact accusation (someone else feeding lines) thrown around before in... i believe it was DBZ mafia 2?. Thats how i know what you were doing.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm not inclined to vote for Yami right now because 1) I don't like to lynch presumed newbies D1 of their first game and 2) I have a tendency to mistake self-important town for scum but that's probably the scummiest post in the thread so far

Hmm. that is a fair point. I'm probably too biased against the people I'm reading as going on the offensive d1, especially against me. Now that I think about, the reason they stick out to me so much is probably because their content wasn't just jokeposts. I'll drop it.

##unvote

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Now that I reread the thread I'm not 100% sure why DB is getting voted so high? Yeah, their content is bad, but.. so is pretty much everyone's. And they're posting at least. Is it mostly a meta vote I don't understand? They ended up null in my read, which isn't helping my decision here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hmm, I don't really like this vote a lot, but I do want to avoid a no-hang. Ultimately though, they've not posted much content, and I just haven't been able to read them at all.

For the sake of avoiding a no hang (pretty much only, actually), I'll #vote Dick Bastardly

I'd still much rather hang Nutsack Rangoon and will switch if it looks feasible, though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Oh, whoops, did it again. ##vote Dick Bastardly

One day I'll not screw this up...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

It really doesn't feel like we got 15 people in this game...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Different death flavor, interesting.

I personally think we should take another look at zzyzx. There vote on DB was an apparent joke vote, that they just never bothered to comment on it or post around the deadline, which I feel helped DB become vote leader in the first place? The vote apathy that happened kind of makes me suspect DB wouldn't have gone up without at least a little push from Scum.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this, I dunno.

I just think their post history, which provides commentary but little content (apart from distantly defending AA, who I remain somewhat suspicious off), combined with the fact that their vote started as a joke, and ended up staying on the vote leader all the way to the lynch, is a bit strange.

Now, I'm not saying they're scum (given my great track record with to so far...), but I feel like I should maybe bring some attention to it.

For similar reasons, I don't like Hal's content. It's a lot of commentary and then a vote on DB. Also the quips at me are noted, but I'll try to be less OMGUS about it.

I'll take a closer look later, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

CCKeane posted:

Straight White Shark was pursuing them early, straight white shark seems to be an unusual kill and that seems sensible.

An additional.possibility is that it's Yami.

Like, I legit mean this, as a newbie - how did you come to this conclusion?

Going from earlier mentions, I am apparently a lot more suspicious than I think I am (granted, that might partly be from my inane rambling), so I'd like to know what makes you think that.

Of course, I'm still not entirely sold on rock and it'll prolly be a while until I will stop looking at them as suspicious for a while, so I can't really comment on that. I'm biased against rock already, I think.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Probably janitored like AS did. Okay, this is the alignment change the OP was talking about, then.

I have to admit this new info is throwing me off my game. Especially since that makes you town, assuming you actually die tonight. I pegged you as scum.

Either way, I've been giving it some thoughts too. This feels like it's the SK equivalent to me. The second nightkill. This feels too simple to simply stop right here. Think about it. If all it takes to have one less nightkill permanently was to for one town to sacrifice themselves, why wouldn't the first town to get infected do it? (Aka, exactly what AA is doing here.)

I think there's something beneath the lid here. Some other mechanic we maybe aren't aware of? Keep in mind this is an extremely paranoid theory here.

There's a poisoner out there too, I think, but maybe not in the usual way. Maybe it's got something to do with votes.

AA was the first to be voted up by Krell, as well as being voted up by two other people. Maybe there's some sort of vote poisoner?

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it. But AA, please don't vote anything other than a hammer today, if you wouldn't mind. I kind of want to see what happens.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Of course I might also just be going completely insane and it's just a bizarre night action. Who knows.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ok, I said I'll do some cases today but I wasn't able to focus, plus the whole "living bomb" thing kind of was a large distraction.

However, I did do something!

I MADE A LIST.

Probably Town
AA <- Assuming their story is correct of course. Skepticism seems best, it could still be a trick to give him a day, *which might be all he needs*

Somberbrero <- seems to be visibly scumhunting.

Sandwolf <- seems to critically analyze posts, putting in effort into scumhunting.

Null-Reads

I R SMART LIKE ROCK <- Still feels off to me somehow, but the fact they didn't vote DB makes me want to give them a break.

zzyzx <- seems helpful, but also don't seem to go very hard on hunting scum

Don't trust

Harold Krell <- Still has that weird spec going on, plus kind of just disappeared completely?

Retro Futurist <- posting seems fairly low effort and doesn't really go anywhere

CCKeane <- lot of accusations, not a lot of reasons.

Hal Incandenza <- fairly low effort posts, but was around to vote on DB who turned guilty. Fairly accusatory tone in general with no attempts at casing yet.

Nutsack Rangoon <- Barely exists in the game.

If there's someone I missed on this list, they posted so little I didn't realize they exist at all. I didn't check OP, only posts.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Harold Krell posted:

I just posted a few minutes ago? I've been completely upfront with my feeling and opinions on the matter and if people just want to ignore me that's fine too. But don't just make up things because you couldn't take the time to read a few sentences.

Don't worry. Retro Futurist just seems to latch on to targets randomly and just sticks to them for no apparent reason other than to annoy. Either the mark of a really novice Mafia player, or perhaps just a very antisocial person.

You're still one of the more lurking people around, and your posts don't really have content. Make some content, even if it's just your reads on people.

Also the more I think about it the less I'm a fan of RF's posts. There's very little content, most of them are just a waste of time, and then this post.

Retro Futurist posted:

Rock is town, unless the rest of the scum team are new/not posting in the scumdoc whatsoever. Also DB is probably town, all the cases on him are the same ones Iíve watched him get killed for as town in the last year or so

I really don't understand why RF is certain Rock is town. The most recent posts are accusatory with little backing too, and policy voting Krell is bizarre too.

Either way, I think AA is fine, and we should probably look elsewhere today, and here's why:

There's no real reason for him to share this info if he's lying in some way, in my opinion. If he posted this to be given a day of not being voted... he'd already have had it, almost certainly.

Right now, there's a lot bigger suspects at the moment, like Krell, Rock, or hell, even me apparently. If AA is somehow still alive tomorrow, we can lynch him then.

I personally think we should look at lynching one of RF, Krell, Rock, or Nut today.

Nut in particular has posted nothing of worth, and they post so rarely I can barely remember they're in the game at times. On the other hand, RF's post on d2 already pinged my scumdar pretty hard, and it just begun.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

My point about AA being, he gains nothing by bringing this up now if he was lying about it. I think he's telling the truth.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

What i meant is that i felt there was a fairly large gap between your presence when you the thing between you and Rock happened, and afterwards. It was pointed out by someone else as well, iirc, which is the reason i did.

Still, you're awfully defensive about a comment on a list. I'm only doing this to put pressure on people, and see how they react. I'm hoping that other town can make use of the pressure for their scumreads. It's notably my weakest link, i think. Probably because my social deduction experience so far comes from videogames, not forum games like this.

I don't mean to be (too) rude with what i do, but calling people out seems to be a big part of the game going by the games ive read.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I did read your posts, btw. All of them. I read everyone's seperately to get an overview for THE LIST.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah the kill choice makes no sense to me either.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Retro Futurist posted:

I kind of suspect thatís what sandy has been doing. I am an easy target since I tend to be short and direct, which can come across as lurking, so even when Iím doing stuff itís usually a safe bet to case me for content lurking or tunnelling

You're not just "short and direct", you're... not really doing much. You're "policy voting" Krell, which isn't doing anything useful to anyone. Going by your post history you also haven't really done anything except throw a few suspicions here and there, without explaining them at all.

I'm with Sandwolf here, honestly.

After closer look (I wanted to make a case yesterday but I got swamped at work, and I just couldn't really find any new info to use anyway, since posting was so slow), I'd be willing to either vote for Retro or Nut. I'll have another look before the deadline, but these are the votes I'm feeling right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Assuming the deadline is correct, I won't be able to be there on time, so I'll vote my pick now. ##vote Retro Futurist

But again would also vote Nut, but Retro seems to be the likely lynch here?

• Locked thread
«2 »