Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I bookmarked this thread but forgot to sign up, bring on the pain :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
We got dis

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Harold Krell posted:

Why would you make this assumption? If I was scum, how would it benefit me by explaining this out loud?

I have played mafia games before that had weird role setups, even supposedly role-lite games. To say what I'm doing is wrong is to favor less posting from players, which is objectively wrong. It's day 0 and we can only speculate right now, but that's better than lurking.

Uhh we should give the other players some time to participate; before accusing them of lurking. The entry length for this game has been pretty long. So I think it’d be pretty understandable to take a little bit to get in here

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

What confused me a little bit was the talk about a werewolf style character. But even if Harold were scum, how would they know about a role that'd only really make sense as 3P? They'd have to be the 3P themselves which makes no sense to "speculate" the info out into the open.

Anyway, after doing some early reads, I'm still not 100% on Harold. But what strikes me as odd is how quickly people jumped on them. Their spec is really weird - but, more so than anything, it's not even really commenting on scum teams, in my opinion. It seems more of a really weird 3P speculation to me. Which a scum-team wouldn't really know about either.

What I think is, that this is a scum team trying to jump on a scumslip that doesn't exist. But I don't think it's AA, either. Their post is so short it feels like they didn't properly analyze Harold's post.

More so than anything Rock's post stands out to me, although I'm not quite sold on Retro either.

This just feels so grasping to me. This early there's literally nothing else to talk about other than setup spec, so I find the scum accusations on that front bogus anyway. But this post right here just feels... forced. As if trying to direct attention even more towards Harold, who made a weird post and already has some heat over it.

While I admit this part is grasping at straws, but them not voting Harold after clearly having read their posts and trying directing their attention their way may be an attempt at having a defense of "Well I didn't vote them!" if Harold should flip town.

It may be a bit early, but I don't really like what Rock's few posts so far have been trying to do.

As such, ##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

(This is how you vote correctly, right?)

So you don’t like the fact that I said we should give players some time to post? Harold’s next post is them saying everyone should have posted already as a courtesy

Harold Krell posted:

You've completely misread my statement. Please read it again.

I said that the fact that people post to speculate at the very beginning does NOT make them more inclined to be scum. Of course it will takes some time before other players begin posting as well (although they SHOULD already have done so just to confirm their participation, this is a sensible request :shrug:).

I am not calling out lurkers right now, especially since the game just started a few hours ago. Please don't put words in my mouth and start spouting off how I'm attacking players that haven't even posted yet. Thank you.

Anyway, I don’t think Harold is scum. I just don’t like that kind of behavior. We had a bunch of townies that got lynched due to timezone mismatches that made it seem like they were lurking in the dbz mafia 2 game and I don’t want a repeat

Also trying to get a vote going this early into the first day is kinda scummy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

zzyzx posted:

Keane, on the other hand, has a very guilty look about him. We should vote for him.

Hey, can you explain this a bit? At the point in time that you had voted for CCKean. They had only made this post. Which I thought was a joke post:

CCKeane posted:

Hello I am the vigilante.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

zzyzx posted:

After thoughtful consideration, he said he has the most powerful town role, and only a doofus would want to lynch a powerful town role.

##unvote
##vote Dick Bastardly

That's a fair point but at the same time why are we taking d1 claims at face value?

CCKeane posted:

Sorry I lost the time I should get a new WATCH.

CCKeane posted:

No I am have the most powerful town role.

CCKeane posted:

I'm having a good time WATCHing this TV show, how is everybody else's Sunday going?

CCKeane posted:

I have to admit I haven't watched discovery.

I mean what's the play here; for a Doctor to be in this game and protect them? This isn't enough on it's own for a vote but I'll be on the look out for watcher claims as the game progresses

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

Thank you for the vote of confidence :)

I know I may be tunneling on Rock a little bit, but something about their way of posting just doesn't gell well with me. Apart from what I've already said, I noticed this post:

Which I feel like doesn't really rebuke my post at all? It just doubles down on their attempt to shade Harald, again with seemingly deliberate misinterpreting of their words. To me this looks less like a defense, and more of a "Don't look at me, look at them!" redirection, which feel scummy to me.

But granted, this is just d1. I don't have that many reads yet, and only two people I really think as town at the moment. But Rock still is my biggest scum read atm, and I'd be very interested to see how their flip would reflect on earlier discussion at some point.

Especially in relation to this post. Commenting on a "2 man pileup" seems a bit strange. I don't think others found the comment quite as innocuous as they already stated, so this different opinion is weird.

I still feel like I'm tunneling in Rock atm, but this could also be AA defending his scumbro while trying to maintain distance, but I'm worried my opinion might be biased already.

As such, I'd like some thoughts from others?

I noticed that you partially quoted me and left out the second half where I explicitly state that Harold is likely town. Then I go on to talk about the previous game where we had lurker guns and several lurkers got day lynched. This caused the game to progress through ~2-3 days very quickly and completely changed the group composition as they were all townies. I'll admit that I'm probably overly sensitive about this as Mord was a part of that game and would be aware of the issues we faced

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

So you don’t like the fact that I said we should give players some time to post? Harold’s next post is them saying everyone should have posted already as a courtesy

Anyway, I don’t think Harold is scum. I just don’t like that kind of behavior. We had a bunch of townies that got lynched due to timezone mismatches that made it seem like they were lurking in the dbz mafia 2 game and I don’t want a repeat

Also trying to get a vote going this early into the first day is kinda scummy

Yami, I honestly believe that you are town and that we got off to the wrong start. You're right to keep an eye on me if you feel that I'm acting weird but we've got a claimed Watcher that can solve this debate rather quickly

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

For what it's worth, I'd rather lynch a lurker. There are way too many people that aren't even in my spreadsheet yet because I only recorded people who posted.

I'm kind of curious about all these power claims in a game that's supposed to be role lite, actually. And yes, I noticed your "Harold is likely town" post, I quote stuff that sticks out to me. You'll notice this with AA's post I quoted earlier as well.

While you're here, what's your read on AA? They're kind of my biggest null-read atm.

I've got to run an errand but on the lurker subject we do have a participant with only 1 post and what I believe to be less than 24 hours from d1 end: angry armadillo

I'll get back to the AA question as I'll need to re-read their posts

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Eh I've got more time than I thought. These are the three meaty posts by AA:

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I don't know if the nod to the possibility of alignment changing is confirming that as a mechanicn beyond the strong suggestion, but I imagine it's going to turn reads in their head in short order.

So confirming! Let's play some mafia.

I'm going to plot out my victory strategy now.

This is a 15 player game.

If there's alignment changing there is probably a cult or a recruiter with some limited ability with a vote control win condition.

There's almost guaranteed to be 1 3P

Probably a 2 to 4 player scum team. If it's less than 3 scum, possibility for 2 3P, a survivor alongside a recruiter mayhap.

No player reads yet obviously, but I'll be looking to see how things for within this initial speculation.

This all seems fairly safe speculation. I do agree that the explicit call out of alignment changes was due to complaints in the DBZ Mafia 2 game; where several players specifically asked that if alignment changes be more explicit. AA was a part of that game as well and would be aware of this info. It's up in the air if a recruiter would be a 3p or as part of the scum team

The :rolleyes: emoticon tends to get tossed around by scum fairly often in this community.

As far as setup discussion goes, it is as much content as anything else on d1 and the heavy handed discrediting of it reflects poorly. Krell went into specific role information that seemed unconventional from the what I attempted to glean from the OP.

Seeing as you were recently SCUM in a game where I was TOWN, and you pressured me similarly, my antennae are raised.

I will say that in hindsight, the Krell vote wasn't a good one.

The small pile up on I R SMART LIKE ROCK looks bad. ROCK's comment was innocuous.

There is a bit of meta-gaming here as AA mentions a previous game as evidence of Somberbrero being scum. I don't know which game they are referring to so I can't go back to confirm. This may be tunneling, on AA's part, but honestly I'm not sure. I'm new to the community so I have trouble parsing posting style call outs like this

Rangoon has a bad vote, but not quite ready to OMGUS them.

Jokephase is garbage and should die in a fire.

I already stated that I'm wary about Somber. I would OMGUS them.

Yami reads and sounds like an experienced player making good contribution and commentary. For a new player, they are bring a lot to the table WRT to this thread.

More later. Working late because out all day tomorrow. Don't want to be fired, reprimanded, looked at coldly, etc.

AA seems to have been legit scum hunting and throwing out claims. They even state that they'll post most cases later which reads likely town. No scum wants to stay in the spotlight too long. It would come off as fishy if AA never followed up so I'll take this statement at face value

On the subject hey Anomalous Amalgam if you had to rank your picks what would they be?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm pretty sure the power role claims were jokes...

I'm pretty sure DB here is saying that those who have claimed, up to now, were joke claims

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm a hypercharger so that can't be true.

I don't believe you had claimed before now. So it looks like you just did on accident?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

I tend to distrust meta reads, so in the fight between him and Somber I'm more inclined to trust Somber. But neither one has posted enough for me to make any firm conclusions.

Rock's posting is definitely weird. Among other things he's got back to back posts where he says he doesn't think we should believe in D1 claims then suggests we rely on claimed D1 power roles. I assume he's being sarcastic, but that doesn't come across well on forums and just generally isn't conducive to serious mafia play. I have a hard time reading any particularly scummy intent into his posts, though.

Yeah if you look at my post history this is just how I talk. I do honestly believe that we shouldn't trust D1 claims. Fakeclaiming is the key tool of a scum team to mislead other players into thinking they are town. D1 is always the hardest as town has the least amount of information and scum has the most. It's likely that we'll end up lynching a townie just due to the lopsided nature of town vs scum

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

Whoa, what's with the fishing.

Huh? I never asked any to claim Doctor. I said it seems like your angle is to hope a Doctor protects you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Mafia edit: anyone not any

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

SMH, trying to blow up my spot I'm being subtle here.

So you're admitting that I wasn't rolefishing? Then go on to throw shade at me? Like wtf is up with these posts

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
We’re getting close to the end of day. I’ve been re-reading Nutsack’s post history and they’ve got 5 posts that aren’t the initial sign-ups. There’s a vote for AA, a couple of posts about joke phase then asking Yami what previous games they’ve read. There’s no casing or really any reads; this fells like putting up the illusion of participating and not town like behavior

##vote Nutsack Rangoon

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

I don't think this is a good vote, -40 mins to deadline and we're not even sure we have eight people with which to switch to someone.

I don’t believe DB is scum and I’m not going to vote for them. So I moved on to my next pick, and I provided my reasoning. Unless you’re arguing to turbo DB I don’t see the point in this really

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

Again, this is basically a lurker vote. sometimes that's not a terrible policy, but you haven't exactly been doing a lot of scumhunting yourself. you've been posting a lot but most of your posts are defenses of yourself or others, which feels more scummy than town.

Are we going to argue about my vote or talk about why you feel DB deserves to be lynched? You voted for them earlier so I’m all ears

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yami you need 2 #’s for s vote to count. Also we have enough to lynch as with Yami‘ score it’s at -3

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

No, but I am saying that two players who died had posted negatively about rock. I think rock may have killed one of them.

Might as well go for a smug called shot, I think it could be Rock killed AS, Yami killed Shark.

So your case hinges on the fact that the two posters who were going after me have died. One of them you've later admitted; that due to new information from AA doesn't make sense

CCKeane posted:

I believe AA, which would eliminate AS's death from my reasoning.

This points me stronger toward Rock.

RF's recent posts are bad and I think he may be doubling down from my call out on him day one.

Yet somehow this makes it more likely that I killed Shark?

CCKeane posted:

As opposed to culling low post count posters.

You yourself admit that it's an odd kill choice for a scum team to make. So what would they have to gain by making that choice? I dunno maybe they were trying to set this whole thing up and are now laughing their asses off at us flailing around at each other

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Where are all the other players? We had our first night and some of them had night actions that should have given them some leads

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I'm being setup to take a fall

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah one more vote and then someone will be voting you

You’re right I’m letting Kaene get in my head, mea culpa

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean the OP said there were NO night actions in this game soooooo

Well the literal quote is:

This is a very role-lite mafia game. There are extremely limited night actions - i.e. there are no night actions beyond the killing.

We already know due to AA’s claim that there are other actions. How they work on the other hand is up in the air

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hal Incandenza posted:

Still kinda want to vote AA. He likes to gambit (see Westworld) and he very well could be doing something here

I still have an issue with them throwing away a guaranteed win. Like who does that?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Mafia edit: if we take AA’s claim at face value that is

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
vote is at -2

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Harold Krell posted:

Excuse me? Didn't I just get chastised for being one of the first people posting telling others to post more? People are busy. Deal with it. There has been A LOT of content generated in a short time, and this will require some discernible work to go through all the posts. To just make assumptions simply because you think you're the king of the world and demand it would be viscerally irresponsible on my part, so I have no idea why you think forcing me to explain myself right no would work in any way.

Also, if you HAD looked at my previous posts (you haven't), you would have known I had put forth a general assumption concerning role assignment, which is really the only piece of logic to go on until I can enrich my mind on the more recent events of the game.

how’s that enriched mind treatin ya?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hal Incandenza posted:

Because what if letting him live into the night means another person gets whatever he has and the next person doesn’t tell us.

Do you think outside of that claim he’s been posting pretty townie? Because really that should be the criteria over a claim like this anyway

In light of recent news this seems rather prescient

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Harold Krell posted:

I'm sorry? What say do you have my dialogue with that other player?

Please explain this.

I’ve got dyslexia and I literally can not parse this. I’m truly sorry

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hal Incandenza posted:

Are you saying that you got infected last night?

No what I’m saying is we have no way of knowing if someone got infected last night unless they confess or already knew it could happen

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I’m out of town this weekend with family. So I don’t have a lot of time to post deep analysis. We’ve still got some time tho

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Ok I’ve got a few minutes. There are currently no votes on anyone and the day ends in ~6.5 hours. I would vote the Krell or Nut

Krell has a low post count and was cagey when I asked them if they had any updates

Nut has basically been absent this entire game and would make a good candidate for scum or a 3p role

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Mafia edit: vote for not vote the

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I’m at a dinner party then bar with the older fam later. I’d rather vote lurker than no-lynch ##vote Nutsack

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Looks like AA told a half truth and Hal you were right

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

Rock's still alive, right? I'll go there and okay, then everybody can vote me and whatever.

##vote: Rock

Couldn’t this be read as stalling for a day to infect someone else?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
##vote CCKeane :tipshat:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
You’ve been after me all game. I’m not sorry

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

Krell’s very presence distorts reality and corrupts games at their source. He needs to be removed before anymore damage is done.

I’m sorry I ever doubted you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

What really makes me think this, however, are the kills that happened n1. I think they were meant to frame Rock, who seemed inexperienced. Not one, but two kills targeted at people that were suspicious of players who claimed or appeared to be new seems too convenient to me to really be done by those newbies.

I think even an inexperienced player would realize that if people that die just HAPPENED to accuse them of being scum the day before would eventually lead back to them.

I think Rock is Town.

Well you have to remember that AS wasn’t our kill. I got the sense that Shark could be a very strong town and was willing to sacrifice myself to take them out early

• Locked thread