Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I got home like an hour ago and there's a huge hole in the roof. I think I can climb out onto it if I wanted.

My house it's like 200 years old and has the original roof still, but previous owners (and me) failed to do the proper maintenance.

I'm worried if I call someone to fix it it will:
Reveal my... creative... attachment of utilities
Cost more money to fix than I can obtain easily
Get me somehow condemned

The roof pitch is like 1:1, drat close to a 45 degree angle. It's slates that are apparently far more hosed up than I realized. My job, that I quit because I hated it, took all my energy and now I think I'm turbo hosed. I was planning on living like an ascetic on savings for a couple years. That's probably out.

I have no safe way to access the roof, but I have a little bit of money saved (roughly the cost of the house [don't get ideas I paid in cash]). How am I gonna fix this?

Also the power's out again and I'm on low battery so I'm gonna throw this out and hope for the best.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Op sent me a pm with the hole

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
take a picture of it

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

take a picture of it

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Build a smaller house inside your current house by repurposing the bricks you're making

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Battery is too low to activate the camera, but imagine like a piece of single is gone and if you wanna throw punches you can reach the sky. But it's a big segment of singles now, not one.

I can't use the bricks I've been making because they're the wrong kind.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Duct tape a tarp over it, it sounds like you live like a animal anyway

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

VikingSkull posted:

take a picture of it

This.

Buy the largest case of beer you can afford. Drink all of the cans. Now that you are drunk, go to the store and steal some tin snips, a big bag of chips and a bunch of caulk. Fashion new roof tiles by cutting up the beer cans and gluing them together with the caulk. Open the bag of chips and throw chips through your roof hole until the birds accept your bribe and lift your new roof section into place.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Just select the bit of roof next to it, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, and drag the pasted bit of roof over the hole.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Alternatively just dig a big hole directly below t he roof hole, that way if poo poo comes through the roof hole, it just goes into the ground hole.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

gently caress the poo poo outta dat hole

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm thinking if I can get a tarp I can tie a rope to it, throw the rope outside the hole across to the other part of the house, and then pull it thru from the ground

But this might dislodge basically all the other singles then I'm gonna be really screwed.

Alternately I could bust the hole open, attach some kind of platform somehow, and then just walk over and fix the hosed up parts.

Main problem is the loose roof tiles

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Sounds like your grow house is ripe for an electrical fire. Good luck!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Edit: ^^^ same time ^^^ :stare:

Take all your loving weed and grow lights out of the attic and call a roofing company.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

What he means is you gotta caulk the poo poo out of that hole. Get that caulk deep in the hole, OP. Post pictures too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So I got home like an hour ago and there's a huge hole in the roof. I think I can climb out onto it if I wanted.

My house it's like 200 years old and has the original roof still, but previous owners (and me) failed to do the proper maintenance.

I'm worried if I call someone to fix it it will:
Reveal my... creative... attachment of utilities
Cost more money to fix than I can obtain easily
Get me somehow condemned

The roof pitch is like 1:1, drat close to a 45 degree angle. It's slates that are apparently far more hosed up than I realized. My job, that I quit because I hated it, took all my energy and now I think I'm turbo hosed. I was planning on living like an ascetic on savings for a couple years. That's probably out.

I have no safe way to access the roof, but I have a little bit of money saved (roughly the cost of the house [don't get ideas I paid in cash]). How am I gonna fix this?

Also the power's out again and I'm on low battery so I'm gonna throw this out and hope for the best.

do you own this house?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

It this op

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

VikingSkull posted:

take a picture of it

And post it. Put on an army helmet and poke your head through it and watch your neighbors with binoculars like you're in a tank, maybe yell some poo poo about 9/11 when people get close

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Who wants some caulk

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Leave the roof as is and start a mushroom farm in your living room.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flambeau posted:

Sounds like your grow house is ripe for an electrical fire. Good luck!

No I disabled the terrible original wiring and have a really lovely alternate system.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

do you own this house?

Yes

Vakal posted:

Leave the roof as is and start a mushroom farm in your living room.

No cause it'll ruin my precious heirloom books

Also caulk will not work guys I can fit my head outside the hole as is

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
You don't want water pooling inside your living space so be sure to make a hole in the floor directly underneath your roof hole.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
1) buy a tarp and a staple gun.
2) staple the tarp to your (remaining) roof

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
did you inherit it?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

No I disabled the terrible original wiring and have a really lovely alternate system.

This really fascinates me and I would like to hear more (and see) your creative self home wiring.

Like, is it just a bunch of spliced in extension cords or wiring laying throughout your hallways and stairs?

Does your basement look like this?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

1) buy a tarp and a staple gun.
2) staple the tarp to your (remaining) roof

The roof is tile

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

did you inherit it?

No, it was cheap and nice. Good buy at the time, and if I had not hosed up and had avoided this I would be extraordinarily pleased with it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The roof is tile

No, it was cheap and nice. Good buy at the time, and if I had not hosed up and had avoided this I would be extraordinarily pleased with it.

You should get a better realtor and home inspector.
Why the gently caress did you buy a 200 year old house that just has tar on the roof you loving idiot?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Stick an umbrella out through the hole then open it. Goddam son bugs bunny is so shook right now

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mental Hospitality posted:

This really fascinates me and I would like to hear more (and see) your creative self home wiring.

Like, is it just a bunch of spliced in extension cords or wiring laying throughout your hallways and stairs?

Does your basement look like this?

Jfc no. I have some solar panels that work for my immediate needs. As far as I know this house has never had anything more advanced than old time radios or tvs, and I'm content to keep it that way. No washing machine or any of that.

There's laundromats, not a total animal.

The existing situation prevented me from putting panels on the roof itself, but poo poo, I guess I can now

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You should get a better realtor and home inspector.
Why the gently caress did you buy a 200 year old house that just has tar on the roof you loving idiot?

gently caress you you're not my dad

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Stick an umbrella out through the hole then open it. Goddam son bugs bunny is so shook right now

cartoons have better sense than you op

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That's retarded, it wouldn't work because of how half the water would flow to the upper part of the roof and then go under the umbrella, c'mon

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
how long have you lived there?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Get a circus tent that's bigger than your house, and put it up around your house.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
post a picture of your goddamn hole

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

My landlord once fixed my leaky roof. he laid a shower curtain over the spot then sealed edges with hot tar

And now I pass this wisdom down to you

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I've been trick once before by that ghost thread, and I'm not going to be tricked again until I see a picture or a detailed mspaint diagram of what we are dealing with here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Buy a Giraffe.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

weg posted:

This.

Buy the largest case of beer you can afford. Drink all of the cans. Now that you are drunk, go to the store and steal some tin snips, a big bag of chips and a bunch of caulk. Fashion new roof tiles by cutting up the beer cans and gluing them together with the caulk. Open the bag of chips and throw chips through your roof hole until the birds accept your bribe and lift your new roof section into place.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Buy a zoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Dumb question....but why the piss would you spend any amount of money on buying a house and not insuring it? Or did you literally spend like a grand on a shack?

• Locked thread