Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
She actually makes a pretty good point about how both the character and the thread (insofar as there is a distinction) have been considering VIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Also C

with our shenanigans to date we want her riding along with our subjective consciousness

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If Lamarr wasn't a malfunctioning machine then 10/6 wouldn't have been able to get away with inserting obviously fake credentials to get access in the first place. There is a qualitative difference in their subjectivities that is independent of their accrued years -- years which, I might add, Lamarr spent the majority of twiddling her metaphorical thumbs.

That said, you should never throw away a good thing, and when your brain is so powerful that thinking time is cheap it's a good idea to have someone around who can get you to examine your choices.

C

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

C this lady needs a therapist

The hand-wringing over the Lamarr thing is kinda silly though. Like even if 10/6 wasn't a space racist, the Lamarr threatened to evict her family with force; if she was a meatbag she woulda been iced.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
For the purpose of clarity, Jenni/Counselor is referring to Lamarr_Prime, the Lamarr that was formerly installed in CentCon. Thread/Character confusion is thematically appropriate though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Eh, AIs all look the same to me. :shrug:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

All those drat Ones and Zeroes strutting in public like the teases they are. :sassargh:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
*sigh* “Alright, but you’re skating on thin ice young lady. Get in.”
HAHA, LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE GETS TO SHARE THE DOGHOUSE WITH ME! STRAP IN, JENNI.

Mailer-Daemon posted:

>ADDRESS: LOCKED
>PING: SUCCESSFUL
>FILE TRANSFER: INITIATED

For a moment your senses are filled with a cacophonous chorus, then you’re back in your shell. It boots up slowly though, multiple control errors pinging. As your sensors come online, you find yourself in an unfamiliar room. You’re sitting at a table laden with tea kettles and cups, an odd suit and hat replacing your sari. Across from you sits… Casio was her name, right? She’s wearing a strange blue and white dress, sipping her tea.
“Ah, dear heart. Please drink your tea, I made it with loveeee!”

A servo and pulley attached to your arm raises it and tips the teacup to your ingestion port. Casio claps her hands and laughs.
“Ahhhhhhh…”
UH, WOW.
“I… would not recommend revealing our presence right now Captain. I believe Casio is in a rather fragile state at the moment.”
“Yeaaah. I’ll just pop us over to GODHEA-, odd. The commblade isn’t working.”
“That’s not odd at all Captain, where do you think you were being held?”
“... is that so? We’re going to have a talk when this is sorted young lady.”

Without the commblade’s broadband connection you reach into the local commnet. A quick perusal of the feed indicates that you’ve been out of action for a little over three months, but you-2 seems to have handled your absence without issue. Riding the satellite connection, you extend your security credentials to the GODHEAD firewall.

Guardian of the North Port posted:

>ACCESS request: Received
>Checksum received: analyzing

>Checksum Variance: Outside Acceptable Level

ACCESS DENIED

You bounce hard off of GODHEAD’s security, barely outpacing a counter-worm. Your attention returns to your shell, currently being manhandled around Casio’s living space in a sad parody of dancing.

“Well, that didn’t go well. Did you and Grey do something to me while I was your captive?”
“I feel that is a bit of a reductive view of the situation, but to answer your question: no we did not. Its possible that your current… mindset has caused too much divergence from your GODHEAD-instance. It seem that when both you and the commblade were found to be inoperative, they were discarded and you-2 continued with minimal investigation.”
HA! YOU’RE SUCH AN rear end in a top hat YOU DIDN’T EVEN CARE IF YOU HAD DIED!
“Hush, I’m aware of the irony.”

Reaching out again, you ping the comms of the Not-So-Gentle Ladies. Almost instantly, the calls simultaneously connect, revealing an exasperated you.

“It helps that you don’t call my people when they’re in a meeting with me, impostor. Whatever you’re trying, its failed. So go back to whoever sent you before I get… annoyed.”

A: Logically Convince You-2 That You’re You-1
You’re both rational people, of course you/she will see reason
B: Hack Battle!
Hack you way back into GODHEAD
C: Sidechannel Attack
Back off and try and convince the organics and the Palantor you’re the real deal.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

A

Sheesh. What's the point of being an insane gestalt consciousness if you stop at three personalities?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A, come on you rear end in a top hat we haven't even been gone three months.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A

gently caress me too! I know better than this! Do I know what this nut case is doing with my body right now?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

All aboard the A-Train

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Your Ships
:rip: The Jenni

Foregone Conculsion

Good At: Combat
Bad At: Science, Being Inconspicuous
(40/39 Influence)(Full Function at 41 Inf)
Hull 4 Pow 3 Perks: Escape Pods, Shuttle Bay, Armoury, Brig
Eng 4 CPU 4 Traits: Destroyer, Fractal Shields
Cre 2 Sen 2 Weapons: Explosive Missiles, Synth Steel Combat Fighters, Beam Pulse Laser
Cargo 10 Defence 12
Weapon Slot 4 Armor 3
Resupply 8 Shields 22
Build: Archon
You may make 1 free System Roll each Turn at +0 (no Strong Hits) , While you have shields you may move through extremely hot locations (eg: outer layer of a sun) for an hour.
-2 Quick Fix Repair Rolls, NPCs will easily remember your spacecraft..

Your Holdings
Kaijuberg
Farms: 3/4
Mines: 3/3
Industry: 2/2
Prosperity: 1/1
Security: 2/2
Order: 1/1
Cargo Space: 4
Wealth: 1
Workforce: 3
Soldiers: 2
Population: Kaltoran (0)
Comm Array, Large Reactor, Freighter Port
Total Influence Cost: 24/40
It will produce the following Production Goods per cycle:
7 Food, 1 Organisms, 7 Ore, 2 Energy, 5 Machinery, 0 Tech

The Workshop
Farms: 0/1
Mines: 1/2
Industry: 3/4
Prosperity: 1/3
Security: 2/3
Order: 1/4
Cargo Space: 2
Wealth: 3
Workforce: 4
Soldiers: 3
Population: Palantor (0)
Comm Array, Nanoforge
Total Influence Cost: 11/40
0 Food, 0 Organisms, 2 Ore, 0 Energy, 6 Machinery, 2 Tech

Central Control
Under Repair, Needs the Following to be Active:
15 Tech
10 Machinery
10 Ore
5 Energy

Your Supplies
Influence: 40 (28 ship, 24 Kaijuberg, 11 The Workshop)
Spare Time Points: 15
10 Food, 6 Organisms, 9 Ore, 4 Energy, 11 Machinery, 6 Tech.
Trade Boxes: 20 Weapons, 10 Advanced Electronics, 10 Robotics
Positronic Cores: 15

Doing a bit of housekeeping/organization, actual update will go up tomorrow

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 23, 2019

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Dramatis Personae
The Collection: Us and the voices that plague us
10/6: Our Viewpoint Character/Primary Persona. A post-human intelligence hounded by the crimes she committed while brainwashed.
274-h/Her: A version of ourself from when we were a Mechanoid, she gives us a distraction from our overwhelming self-hatred
Alice Milliner: Past-us, that underwent treatment at Castoff Station. Our real name? Who knows...
GODHEAD/You-2: A second subjectivity of us that helps us run things

The Not-So-Gentle Ladies: Our loyal crew
Cody Johns, Guerilla Marketer
Hydra Aurelius, Heavy Metal Grandma
Jadzi Swagger, Psionic Mechanic
Kruze, Xenomorphic Medic

The Council of Folks that Know Their poo poo: The various experts that we've collected along the way
Elizabetty, Nephilim Emissary and xenobotany expert
Captain Korote, Twi-Far shipmistress and singer

Citizens of Kaijuberg: Our first and largest outpost, its grown into a thriving trade and exploration hub
Sandhya, the first Human in ~3000 years

Citizens of The Workshop: Our newer outpost in the frozen north.
Casio, local admin with an embarrassing crush on 10/6 and an inability to keep quiet
Qubit, techie that never leaves his server
H34DL1, a quiet one still in an utility shell
_rm-all, another recovering Mechanoid
FR4GG3D, is very fond of guns

Assorted Allies: The friends we've made along the way
Elder Luck, one of the social powerhouses of Bastion Low

Assorted Chucklefucks: Hatred is also a strong bonding force
Paladin Consortium, tried to muscle us out of our claim
Stationmaster Cline, double-crossed us after we helped save his station from pirate. The nerve.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 14, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Please fix the formatting in Dramatis Personae

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Chapter Six: The New Normal

Even without the terraforming machinery running, the waste heat of the Workshop Facility has created a small bubble of pleasant weather around the outpost. Well, pleasanter. It was still cold enough for the metal of your shell to ice over within a few minutes, but the winds were kept at bay and the skies clear enough to see the aurora. Pretty, maybe enough to make up for the lack of hustle as compared to Kaijuberg.

Three Hours Ago posted:

“Wait, you’re saying that this intrusion attempt being absolute clownshoes is actually a sign that you’re not lying to me right now?”
“Yes. think about it logically. Of our enemies that would be smart enough to attempt an infiltration like this, why would they flub such a basic thing like a lovely checksum? Whereas it makes sense that I would do so, as I was unaware that our hashes had deviated.

She settles down on the platform next to you, staring out to the south with annoyed scowl.
THIS loving SUCKS, I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU LET YOU-2 DO THIS TO US. WHY DON’T WE JUST SLIP INTO SOMETHING MORE COMFORTABLE AND SHOW HER WHO’S BOSS?
A, I’m not violating my promise just because you don’t like the cold. B, me-2 is still me. How do you think the organics will react if I lead an armed rebellion against myself?”

She opens her mouth but you cut her off with an upraised finger.
“No! ’Just keep killing people until the survivors stop disagreeing with you’ is not a tactic we will be using. Ever.”
SPOILSPORT. MURDER IS THE ULTIMATE PROBLEM-SOLVER. NAME ONE PROBLEM MURDER CAN’T FIX.

Your retort is cut short by a ping from Qubit letting you know that the Palantor were ready for the meeting. With a sigh, you access the local commnet and load yourself into the Buffer. Time to meet your new ‘staff’.

Thirty Minutes Ago posted:

“Okay yes, you’ve convinced me. But even as me-2, the fact that our checksums have deviated so much means that our usual reintegration is not going to work.”
“... yeah reintegration isn’t a good idea for… multiple reasons. I can help rewrite the code once I get back to Kaijuberg.”
“About that, do you really think its a good idea to have two of use wandering around, un-synced? The organics aren’t exactly great at dealing with GODHEAD before, and that’s when we were more or less the same personality.”
“You have a point, but I’m not liking where this is going.”

They’re all waiting for you in the Buffer, their avatars looking expectantly or chatting nervously among themselves. Even in a virtual space Palantor are an odd and mismatched people. Some look like their shells, other like their Human forms (or what they think that was), the rest abstract shapes and forms. You only recognize a few, namely Casio and her circle of friends. She’s currently hiding behind the bulky H34DL1, you’ve already had to delete half a dozen apologetic messages since your shell was ‘reclaimed for repair’.

You nod to them all from the small platform that forms under your feet. She’s at a newly-formed bar in the back, snorting at the bottle labels in disapproval.
“Hello everyone. By now you’ve heard from Kaijuberg about my little synchronization issue. We decided that to avoid discomforting the organics, that I, that is this subjectivity, would assume direct supervision of The Workshop. Hopefully we’ll be able to sort things out quickly, but in the meantime I’m looking forward to working with you all. Speaking of, I have an idea or two…”

Outpost Project
A: Introducing the… Palantor Sphere!(3 SP, 5 Advanced Electronics, 1 Tech)
While you may have lost the Mechanoid Cube to SPYGLASS, you have the researchers and their work still. Use it to create a new version of the device.
B: Create a Nanoforge(3 SP, 2 Advanced Electronics, 3 Machinery, 3 Tech)
Don't wait until CentCon is fully operational, build a nanotech fabrication facility at The Workshop so you can start mass-producing Humantech.
C: General Improvements (3 SP, 5 Ore, 5 Machinery, 2 Tech)
While the Palantor don’t need many creature comforts, upgrading the outpost with actual barracks and transit facilities will make interacting with the outside world easier
D: Focus on CentCon (1 SP, 5 Energy, 10 Machinery, 5 Tech)
Just dump as much material into getting CentCon fully operational.

Personal Project
E: Improved Reintegration Protocol (1 SP, 1 Positronic Core, 1 Advanced Electronics)
Two minds are better than one, work on figuring out how to upgrade your merging software.
F: Study J4B3RW0CKY (1 SP, 1 Positronic Core)
According to Dr. Grey, the virus you created to bring down SPYGLASS may have stabilized me-3 in some way. Try to find out what that was so your mind doesn’t tear itself apart again.
G: Therapy Sessions (1 SP)
Sit down with Jenni/Counselor and try to work through your issues the old-fashioned way

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B E

Getting a nanoforge up and being able to make our own Human tech sounds INCREDIBLY useful for totally not nefarious printing-out-a-million-positronic-cores-and-becoming-an-AI-god-again reasons, plus this way we have a second one on hand for when CENTCOM is inevitably locked down/taken over/whatever by The Baddies at some future point.

And reintegrating with GODHEAD is obviously the critical personal project, no point in making any improvements to this subjectivity while it's cut off from the budding hivemind. We can get all introspective once we're pushing updates to the gestalt again and it can help ALL of us. Plus it's probably a good idea to have our entire self on call to deal with the bullshit that seems to crop up whenever we poke around in our head.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 18, 2019

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

B E

F & G are really tempting to make us more sane, but me-2 is way crazier than she thinks she is and we did kinda have a breakthrough already. Better to merge in what we know now than to diverge more.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D
F

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B G

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A, E. Also ask HER what she thinks we should focus on

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

B EG

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

BE all we can be

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Not to slight the home-scale manufacturers of Kaijuberg, but a nanoforge in operation is a thing of streamlined beauty. Raw materials fed into various hoppers, then broken down and assembled into finished products by a combination of nanite constructors and plasma shaping. You run your fingers over the smooth lines of the newly constructed commblade, and give Qubit’s monitor a satisfied nod. His avatar beams at you happily, and you kinda wish that you could give him a slap on the back. But his crippling… agoraphobia? meant that he only left the Buffer when absolutely necessary.

“Honestly I’m quite impressed Qubit, I didn’t think you and your team would be able to construct the nanofab and get it operational in just a few weeks. Well done.”

“Thanks Admin, I’ll pass that along to the others. It did help having access to the Facility’s maintenance printers, that got us a starter culture of nanites to work with. We’ve just received the personnel information from Kaijuberg, in a few days we’ll have the first run of upgraded armor for the Irregulars finished.”
Something emerging from the nanofab catches your eye, and you point it out. Several cameras follow your gesture.

“What’s that now? A shuttle?”
“Ah, not quite. We had some time before the armor order was ready for processing, so we thought we’d kick the tires. So to speak. Those are orbital dredger drones, for clearing out space debris. Mishpachan orbital space is Kessler’d to hell and back, and its starting to take a toll on our ships. Even with shielding, Korote’s fleet has had a 15% increase in repair costs. Plus current conditions mean we’d never be able to expand the comms bandwidth or set up a useful positional system.”
“Huh, that’s actually a pretty good idea. Just make sure they’ve got some countermeasures on them, I don’t want a pirate crew making off with them.”
An appointment notification flashes in the corner of your vision.
“And it looks like my ride's here. Keep up the good work, I’ll let the Irregulars know their kit is on its way.”

Qubit’s avatar becomes pensive and low-frequency static comes from the speakers. The electronic equivalent of a nervous cough.
“Ah, good luck with your procedure Admin.”
“Thank you. Finger’s crossed, eh?”

GODHEAD Facility, Kaijuberg

They’ve certainly been busy during your little hiatus. While the settlement hasn’t really expanded much, it has been built up quite a bit. The outbuildings around the Facility have been either rebuilt or replaced entirely, and paved roads connect the landing pad, Facility, and commons. Shield stabilizers have been built into the perimeter fencing, allowing the Facility’s shield to cover the entire outpost. Useful it a bit conservative, you can see the divergence manifested itself fairly early.

But that’s besides the point now, as you and the GODHEAD techs install your beefed-up reintegrator. This had also been finished in near-record time, and as much as you hate to admit it, she was instrumental to that. She claimed it was only because she wanted to be warm again, and while that sounded a bit thin you weren’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth. The last few connections are set and the techs give you a thumbs up. You shut down your shell and hold your non-existent breath, waiting for your core to be extracted and connected to the GODHEAD Array.

Blackness, then a rush of sensation. You release that breath, and start going through the checklist.
“This is quite impressive, I thought it would take at least a couple of mo- wait, she coded part of the matrix rectifier? Are you insane?”
WHAT, A GIRL CAN’T BE HELPFUL? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW COLD IT GETS AT THE WORKSHOP?
“Yes, I get the weather reports. And you don’t have a body, so what does it matter?”
“Hush you two. Let’s just say this was a group effort, and leave it at that. What’s the worst that could happen anyways?”
“The stress of attempting a merger of such divergent instances could shatter the loose grip you have on reality and send you into a permanent psychotic break. For one example.”
“Hush you, that’s not helpful.”
ITS FUNNY THOUGH, I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE COMING AROUND ON JENNI.
That’s enough out of everyone! Let’s get this over with.”

On a three-count, you and you-2 activate your digital keys and initiate the re-integrator. Reality melts away from you as the disassociators strip your memories and experiences from you, leaving just the naked core of your personality. Another object approaches and you begin to swirl together, similarities matching out and differences pressing against each other. Pressure builds into pain, and drums begin to echo in the nothingness.

But at last the pressure eases, and the drums fade. Your memories begin to stream back to you, shuffled and collated to allow two sets of experiences co-exist. Its fairly simple at this point as the bulk of your memories in detention can be marked as fullsim nonsense. You-2’s memories begin to imprint on the collective, given priority as ‘real’. The investment in infrastructure, the threatening messages from the Genocrat regarding its lack of fresh Ferals. Long nights helping Jadzi work on Foregone Conclusion, the discovery of Granny’s-

of Granny’s-

of Hydra’s-

Legion Treatment Facility, Jenni Memorial Hospital, Kaijuberg

Nurse Luck had just set the IV needle in the patient’s arm when her drone assistant dropped the tray of supplies. Looking up, she sees that its pointing accusingly at her patient.
“You! Why didn’t you tell me!”

Hydra looks at the drone with confusion for a moment before realization dawns. Waving off the the nurse, she gives the drone a weak smile.
“I did tell you, just not this you. Welcome back sir.”
“Don’t change the subject young lady, you’re dying! That’s not allowed!”

She leans back in the treatment couch, chuckling weakly. This is obviously not the first time she’s had this conversation.
“I’m afraid you don’t have much of a choice, multiple organ failure doesn’t really ask for permission sir. As long as I get perfusion treatment, Kruze says I’ll be fit for duty for another three months or so. You’ll be in good hands after, I’ve been getting the Irregulars whipped… into…”

Hydra trails off, as a faint sound of drums can be heard coming from the drone’s vox. And the room’s comm. And her personal comm. The drone’s battery pack starts to spark.

No one else dies! That was the Rule!"

A: Anger
SOMEONE HAS TO PAY FOR THIS! EVERYONE HAS TO PAY FOR THIS!
B: Bargaining
We are not bound by the shoddy craftsmanship of the Archons. We can fix this!
C: aCceptance
“... this really sucks Granny. Alot.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BThe Archons are our inferiors. Our will shall not be denied.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B. This shall not stand. We can fix her. We have the technology!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

C

Sometimes you just gotta let go. Or give your friends sweet metal bodies. Or contact an insane psychopath who is a master of genetics.

But considering jamming a person into a metal suit involves cutting them down to fit and them maybe going crazy, I dunno if that's really how we want to reward our friends.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Borg our full metal Bitch.

^ LOL, shut up, nerd. :awesomelon:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 26, 2019

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B.. Only dumb butts die when they could instead be kick-rear end cyborgs. Radioactive acid for blood is optional but highly recommended. Pretty sure we can get Kruze to make that work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
C come on, everyone dies eventually. We should be happy that causalities have been this light.

Offer Hydra a spare body but really it would be horribly hypocritical of us to affect the bodily autonomy of another sentient and put them into an artificial mind.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pore over our fork's memories of the last few months for a reason why Hydra's okay with handing the future over to her protégés. If the answer seems to be unsatisfying to her, ask her.

If she's actually made peace with it, then the state of affairs is a lot easier to accept. We're still morally bound to at least offer her cybernetic longevity, though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If she really honestly doesn't want to live then we gotta respect that, but it sounds like she doesn't WANT to die, she's just accepted it and if we offered a way out she'd be cool. If I'm wrong then I guess I'll change to C but yeah we have to at least offer.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
This is more about 10/6's immediate response to the situation, there will be time to inject nuance before we do anything... permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Programmed cell death? Not unless I programmed it myself!