Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

psyer posted:

The artwork and animation in episode 19 was really bad.

Also, Dojima's VA passed away so no more Persona cameos from him.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1030323410298011648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Not a good year for Dragonball at all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That was a good episode. Was it just me or did they have a little budget set aside for it for some reason?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm still curious how they're going to possibly wrap this series up in just 4 more episodes (assuming the whole thing about it just being 24 episodes long in total is true that is).Though then again, they just introduced the last team member and assuming Haru's debut wraps up next episode that still leaves 3 left to deal with the finale. It's also possible that they wind up doing what Persona 4 did and include a bonus episode with the DVD release.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

I'm still curious how they're going to possibly wrap this series up in just 4 more episodes (assuming the whole thing about it just being 24 episodes long in total is true that is).Though then again, they just introduced the last team member and assuming Haru's debut wraps up next episode that still leaves 3 left to deal with the finale. It's also possible that they wind up doing what Persona 4 did and include a bonus episode with the DVD release.

P5 doesn't have a super secret plotline bonus boss like P4 did, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are two more dungeons left after the one they're in right now. Unless the finale is going to be a movie or OVA, I don't see how they pull this off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I would love to be wrong about this but everything I've read about this series seems to back up the 24 episode claim. I suppose they could possibly go straight from Haru's debut to the endgame but yeah, as was mentioned unless they're planning a movie or an OVA to go along with this the finale is going to feel extremely rushed regardless of how they handle it.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Morgana you're a loose cannon with a lovely attitude and endangering everyone on the team, I'm sorry but you'll have to...

I FORGIVE YOU YOU'RE BACK ON THE TEAM

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's just going to be the bad ending.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bad ending was OK since we become the new ruler of the world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the end of today's episode the counter ticked over to 25 so I guess we've got more episodes on the way after all.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/P5_anime/status/1045840584458395649

They're advertising the next episode as the last one. I swear if the true ending is an OVA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/P5_anime/status/1045840584458395649

They're advertising the next episode as the last one. I swear if the true ending is an OVA

That's weird as 25 aired last week and the counter at the end shows it at least going up to 29 episodes (plus we're only just about to wrap back around to the present time so it seems weird to just stop now).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tales of zestiria, fate encore, code geass of the top of my head delayed their ending by months. It's a thing that happens sometimes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The True Ending path is going to be aired as a special at the end of the year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, guess that was the last episode after all. Glad to hear they're coming back and giving it a proper ending later though.

Also, I've never played it but was the reveal of Goro turning out to be the traitor better handled/foreshadowed in the game? It seemed like it just came out of nowhere to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Huh, guess that was the last episode after all. Glad to hear they're coming back and giving it a proper ending later though.

Also, I've never played it but was the reveal of Goro turning out to be the traitor better handled/foreshadowed in the game? It seemed like it just came out of nowhere to me.

It's one of those that feels like it's so incredibly obvious that there has to be something else to it, which makes you suspect others, but nope it was the obvious one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had no idea going into the episode but they made it really, really obvious before the actual reveal and it makes sense in retrospect.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The actual mystery is have the phantom thieves realized he was a mole and, if so, what did they do to address it? Ren is an unreliable narrator up to this point because of the cops drugging him, so the plot only teases the bits where they actually discuss him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was never any chance of them reaching the true ending in that show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was never any chance of them reaching the true ending in that show

It is apparently being released as a special later this year though. But yeah, this was ok in parts but I think that the anime versions of Persona 3 and 4 (both the original and Golden) did a much better job of adapting their respective games overall (this was still better than Trinity Soul though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i've been watching this as my only exposure to Persona 5 and i just have one thing to say

all cops are bastards

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Dark Sun OP is a banger, at least

also from what i've seen the anime was awfully fixated on Akechi compared to the game itself

can't say i blame it, he's very pretty

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sindai posted:

I had no idea going into the episode but they made it really, really obvious before the actual reveal and it makes sense in retrospect.

He accidentally reveals something major very soon after his first appearance that's easy to overlook because a) it has to do with a difference in what information the PTs/audience have and what someone else has, which your mind will probably slide right by because what he says parses fine with the audience's knowledge and b) it's tied into/played off as a joke at the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

He accidentally reveals something major very soon after his first appearance that's easy to overlook because a) it has to do with a difference in what information the PTs/audience have and what someone else has, which your mind will probably slide right by because what he says parses fine with the audience's knowledge and b) it's tied into/played off as a joke at the time.

I forget, what does he say? Also, was he the guy in the black mask as well or was that somebody we haven't met yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 30, 2018

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Larryb posted:

I forget, what does he say?

He overhears Morgana mention pancakes at the TV station, and only people who have been inside of the metaverse can understand Morgana, which conflicts with his story that he only recently became aware of it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I kinda marathoned the later half of the show. I haven't played the game (Don't own a playstation and hear the gameplay was not that great). Was the anime a good rendition of the story bits of the game? My favourite part of the show was honestly the politician guy standing up for young people, legit made me tear up because I don't ever see that kind of thing happening in real life. Is there more to the guy's story in game? I feel like I wouldn't have noticed the overarching theme of "gently caress adults, being young in Japan sucks" as much if I hadn't read about the game featuring it, even if you say it's incredibly obvious.

I was also surprised about a piece of this sort of media featuring the ridiculous conviction rate of Japanese courts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime ends before the game does but it was decent enough overall. Speaking of which, has there been any further news on the upcoming OVA that's supposed to finish the rest of the story yet?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The gameplay itself was pretty fun, so I dunno where you heard that it wasn't that great. No-good Tora was a highlight in the game as well. I'm mixed on if the anime told the story better than the game or not. It manage to do the cool thing of weaving together several confidant plotlines along with streamlining some of the main story, but it still kept some of the more problematic bits of the game like the gay stereotype couple that I had hoped that they would have addressed for the anime. Also, honestly, I kinda forced myself to watch the last few episodes out of obligation, so I wasn't paying too much attention to plot beats and stuff by then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dark Sun, the first Persona 5 OVA that picks up from where the anime left off, has apparently been out since December 31st. The next one is due out in March last I checked.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 5, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That came completely out of nowhere. It was pretty decent. We finally got our rivers in the desert.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, maybe this should have been a movie series from the start like the Persona 3 adaption was. It seems to work a lot better in a slightly longer format.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persona 5 Stars and Ours airs on the 23rd in Japan. I'm pretty sure it's at midnight there so should be the afternoon of the 23rd for North America and Europe.

People are probably more interested in the Persona 5 R game announcement at the end of the episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

Persona 5 Stars and Ours airs on the 23rd in Japan. I'm pretty sure it's at midnight there so should be the afternoon of the 23rd for North America and Europe.

People are probably more interested in the Persona 5 R game announcement at the end of the episode.

So out of curiosity, why did they decide to split the last section of the game into two OVAs rather than just giving us a slightly longer series?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Budget stuff? it does seem odd.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What budget?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For anyone keeping track: The last episode is airing at 8PM in Japan. That's 7AM eastern. The official twitter confirmed there will be a new game announcement.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s out now. I haven’t been watched it yet but does this most recent OVA indeed takes us through the end of the game or is there more coming?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't play the game but that looked like the end to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't played the game either (or any Persona/SMT game to be honest, I'm mostly just familiar with them via let's plays and anime adaptions), that's why I asked.