Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zyla posted:

all the lines were insanely wrong and almost looks like spite/loving with bettors

Haha, I don't know if I want to believe that Vince had Roman lose because:

A: He has some deeper plan in mind
B: He found out people assumed Roman would win and got angry they figured out his super-cool ending somehow
C: Just to gently caress with people making bets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It sure seems like he enjoys "surprising people" and is willing to throw away months of planning on a spur of the moment thing to get one over the marks at Wrestlemania. It keeps happening.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jerusalem posted:

B: He found out people assumed Roman would win and got angry they figured out his super-cool ending somehow

C seems spiteful enough to be believable.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pressedbunny posted:

I'm fine with it; it was the most purely entertaining match.

I'll probably rewatch the US title match and Charlotte-Asuka at some point, and if I have the time to kill, sure, I might watch Ronda's match again, too. I'm very confident I will never watch any other match from tonight ever again.

I didn't mind it I just think it should have been half the time. Mostly Angle/HHH with Steph doing her distraction thing (I thought that was very well done) and the Angle gets the hot tag Rousey with a few moves on Steph, HHH interferes she punches him Angle gets rid of him armbar and done. There were parts of the match that felt 'oh well are they finishing now?' I was surprised by how well Rousey did though and the match massively exceeded my low expectations.

EDIT: Also it was great to see how happy Dana White was for Rousey's win.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 9, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

Based on how crowds have been receiving him tonight I think Vince had enough foresight to realize it wasn't going to be the glorious crowning moment for him that he wanted, and he didn't want his new Cena to be crowned on a chrous of boos. Last time they went head to head he had the briefcase as an actually quite good solution to the problem at hand, this time he wasn't so lucky. I think it was a decision made very late into the game, maybe even the day of, but despite them doing a good job booking Roman going into WM it wasn't enough.

I do think that if he wanted Roman as a top face no matter what he would have pulled the trigger here no matter what the fans were doing, but oddly thinking about it you can make the exact same case if you want him to be the top heel with him talking about everyone not respecting the champ, not cheering him even though he slayed the beast, etc.

I suppose he felt there was more value in this shocking and unexpected outcome, and that a loss to Lesnar to a chrous of cheers from the crowd and boos for him is enough motivation for a heel turn on its own, so better to make Lesnar seem truly unstoppable and give even more of a rub to whoever he picks to beat him. Rollins seems like a good choice there and a very natural and heated rival for a heel Reigns when his Shield brother does what he couldn't, Balor could do it, you'd want it on someone as young as possible but also over enough to be a compelling opponent, someone you want to be set for life off of one win.

You can also argue Roman already has that big win after essentially retiring Undertaker for all intents and purposes.

But hell, after watching Takeover I feel like you can call up Johnny Wrestling or Cien Almas, strap a rocket to either of them like they're freakin' Finn Balor when he first came up to the main roster, and then they make a huge name for themselves very quickly by beating Lesnar and now you have a new hot young babyface or your future latin star heel at the main event level in no time at all, and who the fans will be into because they either loved them in NXT or they saw them do nothing but kick rear end for 2-3 months so they're already set up in everyone's mind as being super awesome.

Basically I just think with how mania shook out we gotta be getting that much desired Roman turn soon, and it's going to be nothing but an improvement to his character and the whole crowd response to him from then forward. I've been teased and let down before, but they had to have known that we wanted Roman the character to be affected and change based on his loss at the biggest show of the year when they did the sad walkout, and to have basically no one cheering for him at that time they must know the response most fans want is to see him lash out as a heel.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Phew, it looks like I got pretty drunk for Wrasslemania. I apologize for any damage I may have caused. The show was still pretty weird though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I do wonder if that finish had been changed. To me it feels like something was called very late in the game.

But that whole last half of the show felt off, aside from good guy Strowman.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Zyla posted:

it was bad because it was just them spamming moves back and forth on each other

it was indieriffic in the bad sense of indie where it was just a collection of moves and not a coherent story

they waited till after the pinfall to start the story which is wrong on so many levels

Exactly this. Single move, both rest, single move, both rest. Over and over again! No fire until AFTER the match??? I think I hate AJ and Nakamura now.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think my favorite part of the night was the insane and obvious crowd muting during the Nakamura vs AJ match.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

SalTheBard posted:

I felt like all the matches were fine but the booking was weird as gently caress.

It screams of the classic Vince "I booked this poo poo 4 minutes before air" McMahon style.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wendell posted:

Exactly this. Single move, both rest, single move, both rest. Over and over again! No fire until AFTER the match??? I think I hate AJ and Nakamura now.

It's such a shame because they never seemed to get out of whatever gear they started in. It ramps up a little by the end and then it's over. If they were going to have a short match knowing it's the start of another build then they should've just had a quick fun match at least.

Even AJ's match with Brock was better.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Le Saboteur posted:

Charlotte/Asuka is 100% match of the night. Then the Rousey match.

yeah im glad charlotte proved herself as genetically superior to the japanese woman who respectfully bowed afterwards

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Maybe it was the vodka but most of that show felt like a goddamn fever dream

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
it was fuckin trash.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm am Asuka mark as well, was a good match, good hug finish, and a good WrestleMania. To me, not to say it wasn't trash to you or others.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Your Parents posted:

yeah im glad charlotte proved herself as genetically superior to the japanese woman who respectfully bowed afterwards

MRT mode: only one of these women wears Nazi uniforms and stiffed people in the ring on purpose and it isn't Charlotte

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Your Parents posted:

I think my favorite part of the night was the insane and obvious crowd muting during the Nakamura vs AJ match.

I thought that was the case too because you can hear the crowd dueling chant for both but it's super muted. I thought I was being paranoid.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Asuka losing is good.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Commissar Ken posted:

I thought that was the case too because you can hear the crowd dueling chant for both but it's super muted. I thought I was being paranoid.

I didn’t notice, but why would they mute that?!

I felt like they were muting during the Brock match, since loud boos or cheers would suddenly be cut short. Or there would be zero reaction to stuff you’d expect to get one! It was very distracting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

a new study bible! posted:

Asuka losing is good.

Is this intended as a burn on people who liked the match? If so, I say hey man, careful with that burning stuff, we're a forum not a burning table match.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Wendell posted:

I didn’t notice, but why would they mute that?!

I felt like they were muting during the Brock match, since loud boos or cheers would suddenly be cut short. Or there would be zero reaction to stuff you’d expect to get one! It was very distracting.

I don't know it's like the opposite thing you'd wanna do. I was gonna go back and watch it again anyway, i'll see if that was just induced by 6 hours of wrestling delirium.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

It's such a shame because they never seemed to get out of whatever gear they started in. It ramps up a little by the end and then it's over. If they were going to have a short match knowing it's the start of another build then they should've just had a quick fun match at least.

Even AJ's match with Brock was better.

They started off hot, seemed like they were going to get hotter when Nakamura did the taunt to AJ on the ropes and AJ slapped him, and then...

... they did a headlock spot. In the WWE title match at Wrestlemania. It felt like someone pulled the e-brake and never took it off again after that.

And then it became WWE main event style "BIG MOVE! Pause for effect. BIG MOVE! Pause for effect" stuff.

It's a weird inverse of their WK10 match where they start off slow, and then the moment AJ fakes out his back injury and blindsides Nak the match basically chains together non-stop as Nakamura decides that all the talk of respect AJ was giving before the match was bullshit and it becomes a fight, growing in intensity and teetering back and forth as AJ pulls out everything he has and Shinsuke keeps on trying to kill him with knees until Nak basically shotguns AJ in the back of the head and in the face with Boma Ye and beats him.

Nak as heel, though, does allow for one thing: he no longer has to spend a majority of the match selling, since selling is really not the dude's strong point. His character is built as the consummate prick, a guy who has zero respect for his opponent and will just beat the poo poo out of them with knees and elbows. Him working heel will let him actually do that, since WWE is so rigid in their style that they don't let faces do a loving thing for most of the match other than grimace in pain. Shinsuke stomping on AJ's head after the match was the first glimmer of the Nakamura I remember from New Japan and the guy who worked Zayn at Takeover two years ago.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I didn't hate the fact that asuka finally lost because now they can drop the streak storyline, I just wish the streak hadn't been fed to charlotte

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Cameo posted:

They started off hot, seemed like they were going to get hotter when Nakamura did the taunt to AJ on the ropes and AJ slapped him, and then...

... they did a headlock spot. In the WWE title match at Wrestlemania. It felt like someone pulled the e-brake and never took it off again after that.

And then it became WWE main event style "BIG MOVE! Pause for effect. BIG MOVE! Pause for effect" stuff.

It's a weird inverse of their WK10 match where they start off slow, and then the moment AJ fakes out his back injury and blindsides Nak the match basically chains together non-stop as Nakamura decides that all the talk of respect AJ was giving before the match was bullshit and it becomes a fight, growing in intensity and teetering back and forth as AJ pulls out everything he has and Shinsuke keeps on trying to kill him with knees until Nak basically shotguns AJ in the back of the head and in the face with Boma Ye and beats him.

Nak as heel, though, does allow for one thing: he no longer has to spend a majority of the match selling, since selling is really not the dude's strong point. His character is built as the consummate prick, a guy who has zero respect for his opponent and will just beat the poo poo out of them with knees and elbows. Him working heel will let him actually do that, since WWE is so rigid in their style that they don't let faces do a loving thing for most of the match other than grimace in pain. Shinsuke stomping on AJ's head after the match was the first glimmer of the Nakamura I remember from New Japan and the guy who worked Zayn at Takeover two years ago.

Agreed. The few disrespect spot they let him keep as a face were being treated as quirks rather than gently caress you's and Nakamura the disrespectful punk is way more entertaining than Nakamura the artist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stephanie jabbed Ronda in the eyes, but then her offense went too long for how we're conditioned to accept an eye poke disabling someone, even though Ronda was still selling it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That’s some serious nitpicking, Aphrodite!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

a new study bible! posted:

Asuka losing is good.

Asuka losing is fine. Asuka losing to Charlotte of all people (Only Steph needs the rub less) and then crying and saying oh my catchphrase is done now because YOU, the genetically superior nepotism case, are ready for me? I suuuuuuper hate that.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Cameo posted:

Nakamura in NJPW had some of the best selling in the company.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wendell posted:

That’s some serious nitpicking, Aphrodite!

I'm just explaining that they did try to add some mitigating circumstances for Stephanie getting in offense, but why people didn't seem to buy it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I'm just explaining that they did try to add some mitigating circumstances for Stephanie getting in offense, but why people didn't seem to buy it.

Oh, I thought it was a non-sequitur, “the match was stupid because of this small thing!!!!”

Sorry!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Your Parents posted:

Asuka losing is fine. Asuka losing to Charlotte of all people (Only Steph needs the rub less) and then crying and saying oh my catchphrase is done now because YOU, the genetically superior nepotism case, are ready for me? I suuuuuuper hate that.

Charlotte is good

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

And I don't think Asuka is giving up her catch phrase, though I do wonder if she has some new ones up her sleeve.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Aphrodite posted:

The part that was frustrating me was Step 'powering out' of three armbars.

Look, Steph, we've all watched Rousey's real fights. We know how good she is at that specific hold. Try not to devalue it to pump your ego, please?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

The part that was frustrating me was Step 'powering out' of three armbars.

Look, Steph, we've all watched Rousey's real fights. We know how good she is at that specific hold. Try not to devalue it to pump your ego, please?

Yeah that all had nothing to do with the eye poke and was just dumb.

But the final one where Ronda got on her knees and just slowly raised her shoulder so Stephanie's grip would break and she started to see the white light was good.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Your Parents posted:

and then crying and saying oh my catchphrase is done now because YOU, the genetically superior nepotism case,

I was bummed Asuka lost to Charlotte but I did not get that vibe at all. Not even a dogwhistle.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fart blood posted:

I was bummed Asuka lost to Charlotte but I did not get that vibe at all. Not even a dogwhistle.

For the Ideological, everything is about ideology.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Commissar Ken posted:

That's super weird if it's the case, I didn't mind the slower style of it as much as others did (though after it's been laid out in more detail it does bug me more and it's certainly the major flaw of the match), but to me personally the bigger problem was the lack of crowd interest which I just attributed to it being super late. If they're just doing standard dual cheers and the like and not just booing or chanting CM Punk or generally voicing displeasure for the match, then why the hell would you mute that? I can't even tie it to a conspiracy to make Roman look better because of how they booked the finish there, so like, wtf?

Just going off the facial expressions of the crowd that I could see I still think it was more that they were burned out and nothing was happening to really get them into the match until the end. It makes me wonder both what the match would have been like earlier in the day with a more energized crowd and more time, and what it'll be like when they're the proper main event of a show and given a full 30+ minutes and with Nakamura working heel throughout, they drat sure have the potential so hopefully that setup will let them at least approach their super good Wrestle Kingdom match.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that all had nothing to do with the eye poke and was just dumb.

But the final one where Ronda got on her knees and just slowly raised her shoulder so Stephanie's grip would break and she started to see the white light was good.

It was, but it should have been the first one. Hell, Trips sold for the armbar.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

fart blood posted:

i mean if there's anyone in wwe who can actually keep up with asuka it's charlotte. she's actually a very, very, very good wrestler. some of the women in nxt can work at asuka's pace but i don't think anyone else on the main roster could have had that match with her last night. charlotte's good as hell and calling her a nepotism case is silly. there was already a nepotism flair and he was way way worse than charlotte.

she did a top rope spanish fly for fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

shiksa posted:

i mean if there's anyone in wwe who can actually keep up with asuka it's charlotte. she's actually a very, very, very good wrestler. some of the women in nxt can work at asuka's pace but i don't think anyone else on the main roster could have had that match with her last night. charlotte's good as hell and calling her a nepotism case is silly. there was already a nepotism flair and he was way way worse than charlotte.

she did a top rope spanish fly for fucks sake.

Yeah, that definitely made me less grumpy. Charlotte put on a good showing.

I'd have liked to see a bit more psychology with her working the leg like Asuka was working the shoulder before the tap, but not everybody can be Bret Hart.

• Locked thread