Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Charlotte not only did a spanish fly, she properly rotated a moonsault for the first time ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
bold choice to have the main event be an Empty Arena match

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

shiksa posted:

i mean if there's anyone in wwe who can actually keep up with asuka it's charlotte. she's actually a very, very, very good wrestler. some of the women in nxt can work at asuka's pace but i don't think anyone else on the main roster could have had that match with her last night. charlotte's good as hell and calling her a nepotism case is silly. there was already a nepotism flair and he was way way worse than charlotte.

she did a top rope spanish fly for fucks sake.

she's a nepotism case because while good in the sense that she can do just about anything in a ring, she's the worst of the original four horsewomen but gets a sustained push that the other three could only dream of and it doesn't take much dot connecting to figure out why.

basically charlotte is good and it's fine that she's in the upper/main event level of the women's division but she's also the only woman who consistently matters and nepotism is 100% at play there.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 9, 2018

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Your Parents posted:

Nakamura in NJPW had some of the best selling in the company.

Ehhhhh, compared to Okada, Tanahashi, Omega, Kushida, Naito once he figured it out, Nagata, Shibata, Suzuki, Juice, Goto, and (at this point) Matt Jackson and so on, his NJPW selling was just okay - which still puts him in an upper echelon of guys because all those dudes are A-level at selling, but his selling worked more as "you're slowing the rain of strikes down some and turning his weapons into liabilities" compared to the WWE's more arch, theatrical style of "I have been murdered, but once a big spot is here, it's time to come back to life". Nakamura wasn't a guy who got over because he could elicit massive sympathy from the crowd a la Tanahashi, he got over because of his massive charismatic presence and because he he found more ways to knee a guy to death than just about anyone else. Like, he's not bad at selling, because Nakamura isn't really bad at anything - but I wouldn't put it as the thing that makes him stand out among his peers the way his offense or how he moves in the ring or his taunts do.

I mean, his best match in the WWE so far is against one of the best sellers in the world. Sami is godlike at selling, seriously, and he carried the brunt of it in their match - because, like I said, Nakamura is at his best as a freight train of knees and elbows and a well-timed submission or two. The deflation that the dude had when he came up to the main roster oddly coincides with them having Ziggler dominate like 75% of their match and the peaks have been strong showings against guys who can sell amazingly, like Cena.

Really, this match would have worked better if it had been Nakamura running a train on AJ, but AJ finding ways to squeak out of getting Kinsasha'd and finding pockets of offense and building runs of moves that rattled Nak, but never laid him out, until finally Nak makes a big mistake and AJ catches him and puts him down long enough for a pin. Instead we got "AJ takes a little bit more of the match and both guys do the Finisher Kickout sequences, sell like death and then it just ends on a Styles Clash".

Of course, if they got the sort of time they would get in New Japan or even in NXT - like I'm not hot on Gargano/Ciampa very much at all, but they definitely were given time to put together a real story and took advantage of it - maybe the route they were taking would have worked better as it was.

In fact, maybe that's the problem - despite a five hour runtime, they had so many matches that they gave ten to fifteen minutes to instead of having something like Nia/Alexa be a squash or maybe cutting the mixed tag to "Kurt gets the crap kicked out of him, gets the hot tag to Ronda and Stephanie is completely hosed the moment she and Ronda are within arm's reach of each other". The card itself was overloaded - it's alarming when it's 10 PM and you start going "there's still five matches left?!", I literally had forgotten about the SD! grudge match with Bryan and Shane vs. The Yep! Movement until they went to the graphic for it - and so many matches that could have used some space got constrained to feeling like TV matches without commercial breaks. Between that, the fact that WWE is so rigid in its working style that it makes things bleed together, and so many finishes being "yeah this isn't the payoff you would want from what the season finale of WWE is", no wonder the crowd was turning to beach balls by the main event.

The event definitely shows how much of a goddamn star Braun can be. He got that crowd hyped for a hot tag to a ten year old, he got them engaged when they had basically tuned out like two or three matches earlier. Who would've thought this would be possible back when he was the New Wyatt Family Member like a year and a half ago or whenever.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fart blood posted:

I was bummed Asuka lost to Charlotte but I did not get that vibe at all. Not even a dogwhistle.

The line was in one of the promo packages for the match!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

Charlotte not only did a spanish fly, she properly rotated a moonsault for the first time ever.

She has really good moonsaults.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes.

And sometimes...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Would Stephanie have sold for the bird?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wouldn't worry about Asuka's catchphrase being busted since she's probably not getting anywhere near a mic ever again.
She spent the half the match folding Charlotte like an origami crane and nothing, Charlotte gets the Figure 8 on and she taps faster than a M:tg player on their 63rd cup of coffee.
Not really how you book somebody who has much of a future in the company.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Asuka will most likely have a fairly dominant title reign on Raw this year which she will eventually drop to Rousey. Asuka will be fine.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Le Saboteur posted:

Asuka will most likely have a fairly dominant title reign on Raw this year which she will eventually drop to Rousey. Asuka will be fine.

streaks are dumb precisely because they lead to people thinking asuka might as well be hanging out with alicia fox now that she lost one

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ultimately I think as long as Asuka continues to be featured and wins she will be fine and this is a fine loss. They put on a great match, and it’s better to lose to Charlotte who is excellent than be jobbed out to Ronda almost asap. It’s great to plan for next years Mania but in WWE Ronda is mostly unknown to put a worthy match on.

She lost at Mania, that’s fine and it got it out of the way. Now let’s hope she isn’t Ruseved down the card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's going back to the show where she beat everyone thoroughly including the current champion.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gatts posted:

She lost at Mania, that’s fine and it got it out of the way. Now let’s hope she isn’t Ruseved down the card.

There is a sort of alchemy at work in the WWE Universe. It magically turns "Let's hope" into "I can't believe they"

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Aphrodite posted:

She's going back to the show where she beat everyone thoroughly including the current champion.

Yeah but don't they do that 'superstar shakeup' shtick shortly after Mania? I imagine the ladies rosters on both shows are mixing up because most have been beat by the people they're angling to push. Plus Smackdown will need some replacements for KO/Zayn who are almost certainly gonna show up on RAW.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

The Cameo posted:

In fact, maybe that's the problem - despite a five hour runtime, they had so many matches that they gave ten to fifteen minutes to instead of having something like Nia/Alexa be a squash or maybe cutting the mixed tag to "Kurt gets the crap kicked out of him, gets the hot tag to Ronda and Stephanie is completely hosed the moment she and Ronda are within arm's reach of each other". The card itself was overloaded - it's alarming when it's 10 PM and you start going "there's still five matches left?!", I literally had forgotten about the SD! grudge match with Bryan and Shane vs. The Yep! Movement until they went to the graphic for it - and so many matches that could have used some space got constrained to feeling like TV matches without commercial breaks. Between that, the fact that WWE is so rigid in its working style that it makes things bleed together, and so many finishes being "yeah this isn't the payoff you would want from what the season finale of WWE is", no wonder the crowd was turning to beach balls by the main event.

There were 14 matches on the card. The preshow was 2 hours, so the whole event was 7 hours long. The preshow did 3 events in 2 hours, the main did 11 in 5.
That's a lot of matches. Wrestle Kingdom 12 did 10 in 6 hours and had 3 matches over 30 minutes, one of which was a rumble. WWE simply had too many matches.
Moving Braun/Bar to the pre-show and making Nia/Alexa a squash would help, but that devalues the tag belts.

Thing is, NJPW had exactly 2 matches with no title: The Rumble and a singles match that was one of the shorter matches on the card. so 4 more matches, even at 15 apiece is... one hour. And given this is Wrestlemania, a 10 minute match needs 5 minutes of hype + entrances. Couple that with American Wrestling vs. Japanese (since the Japanese don't scream and react as much), and it's really obvious that WWE is just overloading it's shows trying to provide everything, and the crowd is burning out by around hour four. Which is around halfway through, but there's still three hours of matches to go. They can pick up after that, but the fervor is kinda gone.

Taking out women's matches (yes, I know, its a crappy thing to do, but for comparison) creates 10 matches in 7. Given plugging, entrances, pyro and promos, that would probably be around the right length to give the matches some real time. Taking out one of the tag matches, one women's match, and one of fthe McMohan masturbatory matches, or a battle royale, would kinda solve the problem?

Honestly the greatest problem is WWE having 6 hours of programming to fill, and yet having a roster so large that we never really get to see half of them. Sure, Seth, Miz and Finn can sell a feud, and there's a great roster of main eventers, even including THE BIG DAWG. But we see so much of them that their feuds just sort of blur together. Periodically, I think 'hmm it'd be cool to see <blank> and <blank> feud, but it turns out that I've probably already seen it. And it was a 2-3 month feud over three PPV's over a title.

It's worse for NXT people coming up, because they either sink or swim, get given a good push (like KO, or Asuka) or thy get lost in the shuffle (like every other NXT callup. WWE could probably really benefit from a rotating roster, Letting people recover from injuries, work on character bits etc. and they get to come back with new ideas and possible feuds. I mean, Imagine two incredibly over superstars that spend no time interacting because their schedules don't overlap enough, and they become a pseudo-dream match. and then one day...

Wouldn't stop the overexposure (would probably make it worse really) but I'm all in favour of improving the conditions of wrestlers,

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah but don't they do that 'superstar shakeup' shtick shortly after Mania? I imagine the ladies rosters on both shows are mixing up because most have been beat by the people they're angling to push. Plus Smackdown will need some replacements for KO/Zayn who are almost certainly gonna show up on RAW.

Unless they move Charlotte it's still a show where Asuka has beaten everyone.

I think Becky's the only one with any kind of credibility she hasn't fought yet?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Aphrodite posted:

I think Becky's the only one with any kind of credibility she hasn't fought yet?

asuka's literally only beaten carmella on the sd women's roster i think

maybe liv morgan too. or maybe she beat liv instead of carmella, what's the difference.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

To be honest, that would be a hell of a match and Becky deserves a main event run.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Asuka/Nia was pretty well-received, and they could do a "Nia's more confident/dangerous after dusting off Alexa" thing, just spitballing here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Nia is an Asuka beltpillow though

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They've got a trios thing going lately so I wouldn't be surprised if Billie and Peyton debut as Alexa's mean girls and take out Nia, then Carmella cashes in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

They've got a trios thing going lately so I wouldn't be surprised if Billie and Peyton debut as Alexa's mean girls and take out Nia, then Carmella cashes in.

Then Alexa starts hanging out more with Iconic and Mickie feels left out because she doesn't get their millennial references.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Then Alexa starts hanging out more with Iconic and Mickie feels left out because she doesn't get their millennial references.

i just looked into the future and oh boy you guys are gonna be mad mickie and asuka just teamed up as "women of a certain age" and boy it's goin, uh...

Aphrodite posted:

Moms I'd Like to Fight

there it is

shiksa fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moms I'd Like to Fight

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Commissar Ken posted:

Seriously. The women's rosters need to take half of the women and move them to the opposite show, right away

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jenkem Delivery posted:

There's much better wrestling out there. Give New Japan a shot, the subscription is the same price and they now have subtitled promos

NJPW and NXT are pretty much all I watch. I want to watch WWE because I mean they are the biggest promotion in North America with arguably the most talented roster they've ever had.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Charlotte is legitimately the best, and if she were her brother, she would either be getting pushed like Roman or criminally underused.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Torchlighter posted:

Honestly the greatest problem is WWE having 6 hours of programming to fill, and yet having a roster so large that we never really get to see half of them. Sure, Seth, Miz and Finn can sell a feud, and there's a great roster of main eventers, even including THE BIG DAWG. But we see so much of them that their feuds just sort of blur together. Periodically, I think 'hmm it'd be cool to see <blank> and <blank> feud, but it turns out that I've probably already seen it. And it was a 2-3 month feud over three PPV's over a title.

you're severely overestimating the amount of people on either roster I think, most everyone who isn't injured on the roster does make fairly frequent appearances on the main shows with the exceptions of some of the lower cruiserweights and the main event jobbers

AsInHowe posted:

Charlotte is legitimately the best, and if she were her brother, she would either be getting pushed like Roman or criminally underused.

no she would be running around backstage with a crowbar

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

exploded mummy posted:

you're severely overestimating the amount of people on either roster I think, most everyone who isn't injured on the roster does make fairly frequent appearances on the main shows with the exceptions of some of the lower cruiserweights and the main event jobbers

no she would be running around backstage with a crowbar

what

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49_FLBKWtvyNzJxLVkwSHE1d1k/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

saw a picture confirming Charlotte's gladiators were Dan Matha, Tino Sabbatelli and Riddick Moss

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now that Asuka's streak is over, she's just gonna have to hang around the main event like that LOSER NERD Braun Strowman did after he lost his streak.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

saw a picture confirming Charlotte's gladiators were Dan Matha, Tino Sabbatelli and Riddick Moss

lmfao well don't worry about one of these guys being champ in a few years

dan matha did he ever show back up after he debuted after weeks and weeks of buildup and got trashed by, what, aop in his debut?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Charlotte is the best of the four horsewomen

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bard Maddox posted:

Charlotte is the best of the four horsewomen

That would be Emma. :kiddo:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Your Parents posted:

That would be Emma. :kiddo:

shes not considered one of the 4 horsewomen

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Well this’ll be the last time they’re ever seen again.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

This got deleted, what was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008