Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zoracle Zed posted:

One thing about the movie I was unsure of was the signal fire stuff. There's one scene early on in the movie where John Krasinski lights a signal fire and dozens of other fires light up in response. Later on in the movie the children also light a fire but nobody responds--does this suggest that everyone else has fallen victim to the monsters, and this is the last family left?

it was much later in the night, so the other people probably weren't manning their signal tower. They weren't signaling for help, they were lighting up a sign for their dad to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

One of the reasons this film is so good is the way it efficiently establishes its rules and doesn't over explain what's happening. So of course it will attract the dumbest of nitpicks that are missing the point entirely. How these people are able to enjoy any film is beyond me

The characters in this movie *are* incredibly dumb, and there are a lot of logic holes, but this isn't the type of movie you approach from that aspect going in. If you do, you'll just end up questioning things too much and not enjoy it.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Astrochicken posted:

I enjoyed the waterlogged room scene with the creature rising up from the water in front of Emily Blunt and her baby. I got the sense it was beckoning to her to offer the child up as a ritual sacrifice or something. Very cool touch with the baby floating in the basket too.

But yeah. It felt like a worse Signs and it didn't really stick with me at all. Also that ending.. after an obligatory shotgun blast to the head the creature lies there convulsing and bleeds out resident evil style. Super funny

When she was staring at the the crib floating in the water. For a moment, I thought she was considering drowning the baby as she saw it was an opportunity to pass it off as an accident.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Zoracle Zed posted:

One thing about the movie I was unsure of was the signal fire stuff. There's one scene early on in the movie where John Krasinski lights a signal fire and dozens of other fires light up in response. Later on in the movie the children also light a fire but nobody responds--does this suggest that everyone else has fallen victim to the monsters, and this is the last family left?

That or the fireworks were heard so everyone know bad poo poo is going down and are holed up inside.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Wandle Cax posted:

One of the reasons this film is so good is the way it efficiently establishes its rules and doesn't over explain what's happening. So of course it will attract the dumbest of nitpicks that are missing the point entirely. How these people are able to enjoy any film is beyond me

Wait, you're serious? It "efficiently" establishes rules?

I get the waterfall being deafening, and that makes perfect sense, but an opened coffin with what should be a screaming newborn floating next to a pipe that's pumping a tiny stream of water while the alien is literally inches away doesn't follow these 'efficient' rules. Her standing on the other side of the waterfall in the house is totally understandable, but that coffin was floating open, and the baby was audibly whimpering. There's no way the alien doesn't hear it.

Also, they harp so much on needing to protect the kids and yet they do about the most irresponsible thing you can possibly do- bring a screaming new one into the world. You've already got two kids to protect, let's handicap ourselves to the extreme.

It's hard to empathize and sympathize with people who constantly make terrible decisions and that's basically what happens because of how shittily the writers decided to 'establish their rules' in this movie.

Darko posted:

The characters in this movie *are* incredibly dumb, and there are a lot of logic holes, but this isn't the type of movie you approach from that aspect going in. If you do, you'll just end up questioning things too much and not enjoy it.

I agree with you but it's just hard to give a poo poo about characters when they're so dumb, and the movie wants you to give a poo poo, so I did go into it trying to care. When Jim sacrifices himself I went "Eh, that sucks." The suspense buildup when the wife was giving birth wasn't nearly as impacting because she was so stupid about it.

It had the potential to be so much better and I was sad that I was left thinking this when we walked out. A few tweaks and they could have done away with the stupidity and made it a whole lot more believable/immersive.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like how so much of the discussion around this movie is "how dare they have a child!"

It's a massive portion of the plot? I mean, its impact is widespread throughout and it influences the entire movie dramatically.

If the only support of the couple having another kid you can muster is "people gonna gently caress!" then that's pretty telling.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 15, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zoracle Zed posted:

I don't have a CI but I know a little bit about them. The cochlea basically exists to convert mechanical vibrations into electrical signals. Sound waves are vibrations in the air; they vibrate the ear drum, which in turn vibrates some tiny little bones, which in turn vibrate a little membrane in the cochlear wall, which vibrates the fluid that fills the cochlea. Embedded within the cochlea are two special membranes--a floor and ceiling, basically. Special cells embedded in the floor membrane are connected to the ceiling membrane by a "hair"-like process; when the membranes flex due to vibrations in the cochlear fluid, the hair gets pulled, opening or closing ion channels in the hair cell wall that affect the cell's electrical potential. The hair cells are connected via the auditory nerve to the brainstem; changes in electrical potential travel along the nerve to the brainstem and then onward to other higher-order auditory processing areas in the brain. The special thing about the floor membrane in the cochlea is that it has a mechanical resonance so that different vibration frequencies preferentially vibrate different parts of the membrane--low frequencies mostly vibrate one end of the floor membrane, and high frequencies the other. So basically you determine sound frequency by where hair cells get stimulated. The rest of the auditory system is organized in a way to maintain this information, so the brain always knows a sound's frequencies by where in the cochlea these electrical signals originated.

The way a CI works is that metal electrodes are surgically placed along this floor membrane so that electrically stimulating them sends electrical signals directly into the auditory nerve. Outside the skull you have a battery, microphone, and computer that processes sounds that determines which electrodes should be stimulated in order to simulate the right hair cells in the right places being stimulated. In general, the more electrodes in the CI, the better, because you have better resolution over where along the cochlea you can stimulate. CIs can treat deafness that arises from problems with the conduction pathway (ear drum, middle ear bones, etc.) or with the hair cells themselves, because the whole point is to bypass this part of the hearing process. They can't treat problems downstream from the cochlea, like degeneration of the auditory nerve, or brain lesions in auditory processing areas.

This is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the post!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TheKevman posted:

It's a massive portion of the plot? I mean, its impact is widespread throughout and it influences the entire movie dramatically.

If the only support of the couple having another kid you can muster is "people gonna gently caress!" then that's pretty telling.

It's a movie about literalizing the fears of childrearing and the tenacity of continuing life - you might as well ask why Winnie doesn't just shoot herself in Happy Days.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

The fact that they banged post apocalypse and accidentally got pregnant is probably the most believable thing in this movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wandle Cax posted:

The issue is that the film does not establish the actually-important rules, like that the hypersensitivity of the angels is ‘just’ a metaphor for the father’s rage issues - e.g. the jump-scare when he forcibly grabs the daughter when she tries to tiptoe into his man-cave. Why is she forbidden to enter? The only explanation is that he cherishes his computers more than anything else; they provide him an escape and without them he would just give up. The list of crossed-off radio frequencies is a countdown to when he loses it completely.

One of the main images of the film is of the son begging for forgiveness after a minor infraction. There’s a logic of “I can’t play too loud because even the tiniest noise pains my father.” And of course that means consequences for him as well.

(The monsters act blindly and put up an armoured shell, but they’re really weak on the inside, get it?)

The ending makes no sense at all unless you’re following the metaphor of how the father picks up an axe and allows his demons to overtake him, and then his wife has to shoot this killer in the face.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Of course goons are hung out over the baby part. Intimate relationships are difficult enough when reproduction doesn't have any life-threatening concequences. We're doomed in an apocalypse.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
"Why not simply abstain? It's the smartest possible option!" - a rhetoric that has totally worked always forever

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
all masculinity and no verbalization makes jack a dull boy

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Just got back from it. I liked it! The only two issues I had was that, due to the silent nature of the film there’s not a ton of character exposition (I had to look on IMDB to find the character names, and thought they were squatting on the farm until Emily Blunt visits the dead son’s room), and I thought the ending was a bit abrupt (thought for sure we were going to see them start to broadcast the frequency, and see other holdout families start to pick it up on the radio). Really great performances, and I’m excited to see what John Krasinski does as a director.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I always felt the "Why did they have a baby" plot hole was resolved by that shot of Blunt walking down stairs in a blue sun dress.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Nitpicking the central gimmick of a creature feature is goony as gently caress. Tension, effective scares, and how the cast responds emotionally to the situation is what makes these kind of movies compelling. Granted this one's gimmick is a little sloppier than Jaws, Tremors, or Alien but it's tense as hell and the performances are solid. The monster has a great visual design and there's poignant scenes that will be remembered (nail, corn, ending) so if you like monster movies this is definitely one to see.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Nitpicking the central gimmick of a creature feature is goony as gently caress. Tension, effective scares, and how the cast responds emotionally to the situation is what makes these kind of movies compelling. Granted this one's gimmick is a little sloppier than Jaws, Tremors, or Alien but it's tense as hell and the performances are solid. The monster has a great visual design and there's poignant scenes that will be remembered (nail, corn, ending) so if you like monster movies this is definitely one to see.

I thought the gimmick was actually interesting and cool. What I'm nitpicking (and it's not nitpicking when it's glaringly obvious) is that writing that was a bit more thoughtful, as well as some attention to detail could have made the movie a home run, instead of having to constantly ignore gaping plot holes which results in reduced tension, reduced effective scares, and a lack of emotional connection to the cast in their compelling situations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheKevman posted:

I thought the gimmick was actually interesting and cool. What I'm nitpicking (and it's not nitpicking when it's glaringly obvious) is that writing that was a bit more thoughtful, as well as some attention to detail could have made the movie a home run, instead of having to constantly ignore gaping plot holes which results in reduced tension, reduced effective scares, and a lack of emotional connection to the cast in their compelling situations.

Stuff like this is the worst part of any movie discussion

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

sponges posted:

Stuff like this is the worst part of any movie discussion

I agree.

They should write better instead of expecting the viewer to accept poo poo as a substitute for gold.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheKevman posted:

I agree.

They should write better instead of expecting the viewer to accept poo poo as a substitute for gold.

Or you could stop wasting everyone’s time with this poo poo no one cares about.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

sponges posted:

Or you could stop wasting everyone’s time with this poo poo no one cares about.

Cinema Discusso › "A Quiet Place" Discussion

I didn't realize this was the "A Quite Place Effusive Praise" thread.

But really, like you said, it doesn't matter, so :waycool:

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Dude how could anyone not like Fury Road

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheKevman posted:

Cinema Discusso › "A Quiet Place" Discussion

I didn't realize this was the "A Quite Place Effusive Praise" thread.

But really, like you said, it doesn't matter, so :waycool:

Take a jaunt into the Horror thread and complain about how all the characters in slasher movies are stupid and act irrationally. You’ll probably get the same reaction you’re getting here.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
How about this: no discussing things that we liked/hated. Only the cold stating of facts

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This movie had trees in it. There was a scene with corn. It ran narratively from beginning to end with only a couple minor temporal hiccups that could be regarded as dream sequences or dramatized memory. One of the actors that is in it was in The Office, and one of the actors is his real-life wife. To make an omelette, begin by assembling your ingredients. Eggs are important. You must heat the pan, and use butter, oil, or some kind of lubricant. Apply the eggs and add your fillings. A good omelette should be folded neatly, but at home you can eat it any way you like. A good omelette looks like a taco. Perhaps you could try a pizza, or a hamburger. Have you considered a hamburger-shaped omelette? Test the boundaries of your imagination. This movie also had a scene with lots of water. 10/10 equals 1.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

If people are going to nitpick this movie to death, why not start with the monster should've been able to hear their heartbeats and breathing. Or just let little poo poo go and enjoy the movie.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 16, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Perhaps examine the art and what the artist is attempting to convey, your own interpretation and approach of it...but some feel "WELL THIS IS WHAT I'D DO IF I MADE IT!!" is as valid.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I do believe that you should be able to like a thing and also judge it critically, but that's a big part of why my film degree is useless :suicide:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Man, when Ripley went to go for that cat it took me out of the movie! Alien sure sucked rear end!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

china bot posted:

I do believe that you should be able to like a thing and also judge it critically, but that's a big part of why my film degree is useless :suicide:

Why?

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

china bot posted:

Thank you for at least being a voice of reason

I didn't hate the movie, I was disappointed. I got worked up because I liked it but was disappointed at a few things that were easily fixable but left gaping holes.

God forbid I/others don't slobber over it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's fine you didn't like but you're pretty much coming in here and telling us a universally acclaimed movie is actually bad and you're the only one that can see it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This was a really fun watch. The silence in the theater was serene, the scene where the mom and dad are in the babyshelter and talking out loud actually made me wince, though not as hard as the mercilessly telegraphed nail scene.

It's kind of sad that the film's probably go down as overhyped, had it been less on people's lips so close to release, it would probably have been "an underrated classic." But cool for Krasinski & Blunt to have a hit on their hands.

I had some gripes and thought the CG was really bad, but it kept up the tension real well. Gimmicky, but a great time.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

TheKevman posted:

I didn't hate the movie, I was disappointed. I got worked up because I liked it but was disappointed at a few things that were easily fixable but left gaping holes.

:same:

I'm glad it exists, but I thought various elements could have been better. I didn't find it suspenseful for a moment, largely due to directing and screenwriting choices, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless. (This also sums up my feelings on You Were Never Really Here.)

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Just because its a monster movie doesnt insulate it from criticism but I think you have to get on board with IT'S SOUND! to talk about the other merits (or lack of merits) the movie has. Or not, and dismiss the whole thing as stupid which is a valid opinion but one that I think is lame.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
Really, my criticisms boil down to the fact that I wish someone had handed Krasinski a copy of A Man Escaped before filming.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
One, I think it’s funny that if you run on something soft it's silent. Two, the aliens should’ve died from stepping on the nail. Nobody found out about their weakness before because they have very soft foot bottoms.

My fridge thought on the movie is that, because of the possum being killed, noisy animals would be quickly killed from the ecosystem...Good luck farming without any aphids, crickets or the like.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2018

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Also labor isn't 30 minutes, it's hours.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Just because its a monster movie doesnt insulate it from criticism but I think you have to get on board with IT'S SOUND! to talk about the other merits (or lack of merits) the movie has.

The main issue is that there's not really much reason for the movie to use silence as a plot device, when the actual narrative is about an uneasy coexistence with these capricious aliens that are largely benign but prone to explosive outbursts of violence.

The silence gimmick gives the creatures clear rules that they must follow, when it would be more sensible to have the creatures go into rage for no apparent reason. Like the characters have no idea exactly what will trigger them. The Monsters films do a very good job with this.

When you encounter a bear in the woods, you're encountering an otherness - you don't know exactly how it's going to react. What is the bear thinking? What is it like to be a bear? The death angels, on the other hand, act as simple mechanisms. They can't even differentiate between a heartbeat and TV static.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

One, I think it’s funny that if you run on something soft it's silent. Two, the aliens should’ve died from stepping on the nail. Nobody found out about their weakness before because they have very soft foot bottoms.

My fridge thought on the movie is that, because of the possum being killed, noisy animals would be quickly killed from the ecosystem...Good luck farming without any aphids, crickets or the like.

Its probably reasonable the creature would learn what was a suspicious sound of a larger edible animal and what could be ignored. Like its not attacking the water fall constantly because it learned to ignore that sound as not food. Really, though people should be able to survive if they can't just wait long enough for the food supply to run out and the creatures starve. Those things should be wreaking all animals larger than an insect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The main issue is that there's not really much reason for the movie to use silence as a plot device, when the actual narrative is about an uneasy coexistence with these capricious aliens that are largely benign but prone to explosive outbursts of violence.

The silence gimmick gives the creatures clear rules that they must follow, when it would be more sensible to have the creatures go into rage for no apparent reason. Like the characters have no idea exactly what will trigger them. The Monsters films do a very good job with this.

When you encounter a bear in the woods, you're encountering an otherness - you don't know exactly how it's going to react. What is the bear thinking? What is it like to be a bear? The death angels, on the other hand, act as simple mechanisms. They can't even differentiate between a heartbeat and TV static.

You've misidentified the anxieties of the L.L.Bean set. The preppy work-at-home engineer isn't afraid of the unknowable other. He's terrified that the rules of the system he lives in have become so strict and unforgiving that he can barely afford to exhale.