Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I routinely annoy my other half by nitpicking the hell out of whatever movie we just watched on the walk back home from the cinema - but something about this film made me more forgiving.

Sure, you can ask yourself why they don't just run a Faraday cage of falling water around the house from the drainpipes, or even rig up a bunch of car alarms half a mile away with emergency buttons around the house (the father's a dab hand with electronics, and with all the lights strung up they have cable to spare), but whatever - sometimes it's just nice to see a movie with a decent premise, strong acting, and some well thought-out set pieces delivered in a tight 90 minutes.

I'm glad it's doing well at the box office, and we need more films like it. I just hope the studios take the above qualities to heart and not "we need more horror movies set on a farm!"

Matinee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The studio algorithm will pick up on "horror films + farms", "horror films + sitcom actors", and "movies with sound".

Coming Soon: Jim Parsons in: "E-I-E-I-O" (trailer with creepy kid whispering Old Macdonald)

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Forgot to mention earlier a great moment in my screening - in the context of how this movie makes audiences super-aware of the noises they make in the cinema space during the silent passages - just after the moment where it was revealed that mother and baby were fine, two people simultaneously and loudly cracked open obviously smuggled-in beer cans. Gave a great moment of relief laughter to the audience.

I'm curious if others had an interesting 'audience noise self-awareness' story.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Hi guys. I hear with a cochlear implant and saw this movie today. AmA

Do they need regular upkeep and fine tuning from qualified experts? Or is it like a pacemaker, where once it's set up it's good to go for many years?

Does the external device actually transmit sound waves that can be picked up on a microphone, or does it just transmit data that gets interpreted by the implant?

What did you make of the movie, vs similar movies that don't revolve around sound and noise as the central conceit?

Matinee fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 12, 2018