Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kin posted:

Well, loud sounds are still a weakness in that they can't detect anything quieter like, say people in an upstairs flat behind double glazed windows while there's a load of cars and music blaring about outside.

If this film wasn't set in bumpkinruralsville the entire premise would have fallen apart because all you'd do is have sound systems blasting out music (or gently caress it, the sounds of waterfalls) 24/7.

It would only have taken few tweaks to make it less plotholey.

1) Reduce the number of days that have passed
2) Get rid of the newspaper 'plot for dummies' prop
3) Change the writing on his board from 'i think there's 3' to 'i think there's 30'
4) Get rid of the waterfall scene

That would have made it seem like whatever these creatures are, there are loads of them and they hit hard and fast; that there's no clear weakness and that things have happened so quickly, humanity didn't even get the chance to spot any potential frequency based weakness.

or just make it a localized issue (like tremors). that was my assumption from the trailers - that some town/area in a more remote area like vermont or something had been overrun with these things and they can't get any info out because they can't make noise.

any military would've wiped the floor with these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tumble posted:

My only issues are that the monsters just didn't seem all that apocalypse-worthy. If humanity got the news about their sensitive hearing early enough to print and distribute newspapers about them, surely some military groups would think to try using sounds to overwhelm them. I mean the sound that took them down was capable of being played on ordinary speakers, you could save entire cities just by rigging up a few concert speakers on trucks.

They were cool monsters but I don't really think they would be capable of decimating humanity. Still, I'm a sucker for alien apocalypse stuff so I liked the movie a lot. I'd love to see the newspaper articles they wrote for the movie, I love details like that.

i assumed it was a localized event by the trailers (like tremors) because those things would've been wiped out quickly by any military.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's established that their armor is invulnerable to any military weapons.

we have sonic weapons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the movie's good but they did gently caress up not making it a localized event.

and no they're just animals. we'd stomp their poo poo in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Haranguing details about the plot is the most boring kind of criticism god drat like why didn't Thanos just make everybody have infinite resources with the infinity glove

not the same.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can have sex without a child being produced. you can do it lots of times in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i actually don't mind the baby. the opening scene is very dumb (and they shouldn't have shown the monster) and the alien design is bad though. should've ripped of wayne barlowe's expedition or something.