Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

God I wanted to like this movie so bad. I love John Krasinki and thought he was outstanding in 13 Hours.

But holy poo poo what a disappointment.

1-The pregnancy thing was downright absurd and I know that's been discussed but COME ON. This would have been WAY more effective had she maybe just gotten pregnant before the invasion, and they changed the days accordingly. Have it be day 50 when the kid gets eaten and she's already starting to show or something. At least that way it'd be justifiable and not really by choice. In the other case, it's just completely wreckless and caused us to resent them as parents since they already have two young kids they're trying to shepherd through this. While the birthing scene was definitely suspenseful, and was by far the scene that I was most invested in, the whole time we found ourselves resenting the parents for putting the mom in that situation.

2-The alien in the basement not being able to find the baby in the open casket while it's whimpering but yet locks on with perfect focus to a floorboard creak, or monopoly dice that don't land on a blanket. You've got to be kidding me- when the casket was open I thought for SURE the baby was dead and that would have been the ultimate gut punch, a twist that would have absolutely kicked the audience's rear end and been an amazingly aggressive turn of events, but instead Emily Blount walks over, and there's the baby, happy as can be, whimpering away while an alien with supposedly magnificent hearing (to the point that they make sure you see the humans walking on sand the entire time) walks around aimlessly like "Durrrrrr where da baby at!?".

3-"Hey, I just gave birth, ran around a whole bunch, blasted an alien in the face with a shotgun, but I'm gonna smile and cock this bad boy while my daughter gets ready to blast the frequency on the microphone cause we just figured out how to kill ya'll! Also, I have like 5 shots left, but LOCK AND LOAD!" What a poo poo ending.

The fiancee (who is an absolute horror encyclopedia and LOVES scary movies) tore it to shreds afterwards. We both agreed that the premise was really cool, but the execution failed miserably.

It's super disappointing because I think it could have been great with a few tweaks :(

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

All that stuff you mentioned is good, actually.

Hahahaha

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Not even going to provide some counter-arguments? Fly away, troll.

You replied "All that stuff is good, actually." It's not, and I explained why in my post. But it's fine.

Dan Didio posted:

*me watching John McClane step on glass* my fiance would just jump over it

Heh! That was a close comparison.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

2. The crib has already been shown to be semi sound prood and it's floating in moving water. I would say the baby not screaming coming out was less unbelievable, but it's a movie and my toddler bloodlust was already sated.

It was open...

bushisms.txt posted:

3. Who gives a poo poo it was rad.

:ughh:

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

One of the reasons this film is so good is the way it efficiently establishes its rules and doesn't over explain what's happening. So of course it will attract the dumbest of nitpicks that are missing the point entirely. How these people are able to enjoy any film is beyond me

Wait, you're serious? It "efficiently" establishes rules?

I get the waterfall being deafening, and that makes perfect sense, but an opened coffin with what should be a screaming newborn floating next to a pipe that's pumping a tiny stream of water while the alien is literally inches away doesn't follow these 'efficient' rules. Her standing on the other side of the waterfall in the house is totally understandable, but that coffin was floating open, and the baby was audibly whimpering. There's no way the alien doesn't hear it.

Also, they harp so much on needing to protect the kids and yet they do about the most irresponsible thing you can possibly do- bring a screaming new one into the world. You've already got two kids to protect, let's handicap ourselves to the extreme.

It's hard to empathize and sympathize with people who constantly make terrible decisions and that's basically what happens because of how shittily the writers decided to 'establish their rules' in this movie.

Darko posted:

The characters in this movie *are* incredibly dumb, and there are a lot of logic holes, but this isn't the type of movie you approach from that aspect going in. If you do, you'll just end up questioning things too much and not enjoy it.

I agree with you but it's just hard to give a poo poo about characters when they're so dumb, and the movie wants you to give a poo poo, so I did go into it trying to care. When Jim sacrifices himself I went "Eh, that sucks." The suspense buildup when the wife was giving birth wasn't nearly as impacting because she was so stupid about it.

It had the potential to be so much better and I was sad that I was left thinking this when we walked out. A few tweaks and they could have done away with the stupidity and made it a whole lot more believable/immersive.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like how so much of the discussion around this movie is "how dare they have a child!"

It's a massive portion of the plot? I mean, its impact is widespread throughout and it influences the entire movie dramatically.

If the only support of the couple having another kid you can muster is "people gonna gently caress!" then that's pretty telling.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 15, 2018

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Nitpicking the central gimmick of a creature feature is goony as gently caress. Tension, effective scares, and how the cast responds emotionally to the situation is what makes these kind of movies compelling. Granted this one's gimmick is a little sloppier than Jaws, Tremors, or Alien but it's tense as hell and the performances are solid. The monster has a great visual design and there's poignant scenes that will be remembered (nail, corn, ending) so if you like monster movies this is definitely one to see.

I thought the gimmick was actually interesting and cool. What I'm nitpicking (and it's not nitpicking when it's glaringly obvious) is that writing that was a bit more thoughtful, as well as some attention to detail could have made the movie a home run, instead of having to constantly ignore gaping plot holes which results in reduced tension, reduced effective scares, and a lack of emotional connection to the cast in their compelling situations.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

sponges posted:

Stuff like this is the worst part of any movie discussion

I agree.

They should write better instead of expecting the viewer to accept poo poo as a substitute for gold.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

sponges posted:

Or you could stop wasting everyone’s time with this poo poo no one cares about.

Cinema Discusso › "A Quiet Place" Discussion

I didn't realize this was the "A Quite Place Effusive Praise" thread.

But really, like you said, it doesn't matter, so :waycool:

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

china bot posted:

I do believe that you should be able to like a thing and also judge it critically, but that's a big part of why my film degree is useless :suicide:

Thank you for at least being a voice of reason

I didn't hate the movie, I was disappointed. I got worked up because I liked it but was disappointed at a few things that were easily fixable but left gaping holes.

God forbid I/others don't slobber over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Kin posted:

It would only have taken few tweaks to make it less plotholey.

1) Reduce the number of days that have passed
2) Get rid of the newspaper 'plot for dummies' prop
3) Change the writing on his board from 'i think there's 3' to 'i think there's 30'
4) Get rid of the waterfall scene

That would have made it seem like whatever these creatures are, there are loads of them and they hit hard and fast; that there's no clear weakness and that things have happened so quickly, humanity didn't even get the chance to spot any potential frequency based weakness.

You're making way too much sense here, knock it off.