Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

hamsystem posted:

Also a big fan of this movie. I appreciated the lack of a giant exposition dump and the way they established the world. The only thing I would knock the movie for is the way they ended up defeating the creature(s). We know they hunt by sound alone so bombarding them with loud noises of different frequencies seems like it should've been a day 1 experiment. But otherwise, super tense and enjoyable.

I think it's more his constant tinkering found the exact frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Again this is something they could've figured out in a week.

Yeah, we're talking about it in the car. I think there's so much noise, it's possible they never got to that stage or potential sequels could explore that. Already feels like cloverfield.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It doesn't really bother me too bad, just a typical writing yourself into a corner thing.

Meh, 28 days later did the same thing and the reveal was the twist. I don't mind not knowing outside of what the characters know or say immediately.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yaws posted:

Some idle thoughts:

I appreciate wanting to have sex with Emily Blunt (I'd do it) and wanting to replace that dumb kid that got himself killed but having a kid in a world where you can't make sound is irresponsible.

I'd probably take up shop in a windowless factory

I give this movie 5 bags of popcorn and two sodas.

We agree with the film that the hassle of condoms isn't worth it in an apocalyptic world.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The one strike against the film is disabled child = super power, can we please move past Stephen King tropes? I sighed when they first showed it, because the movie was like, "wake up chekov!" Just comes off as a narrative crutch to neatly tie the end, without thinking about how it affects the movie. Like noted earlier, she comes off as really late on what is hurting these things, blah blah blah rule of three, just results in two cheap emotionally manipulative moments instead of maybe potentially only one.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Super power is a general term. And what's different between her dad and pa kent, who gives Clark his true identity? It's a general trope that has been used far too often to the point it gives away the movie, that's the issue.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Well, actually, A quiet place is about the generational evolution of segregation to gerrymandering via the white experience, vis a vis white flight. In this paper, I'll explore how the film utilizes the horror genre to potentially place the viewer in the same mindset as

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Quiet Place is actually part of the Reign Of Fire multiverse.

What are the others?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TheKevman posted:

God I wanted to like this movie so bad. I love John Krasinki and thought he was outstanding in 13 Hours.

But holy poo poo what a disappointment.

1-The pregnancy thing was downright absurd and I know that's been discussed but COME ON. This would have been WAY more effective had she maybe just gotten pregnant before the invasion, and they changed the days accordingly. Have it be day 50 when the kid gets eaten and she's already starting to show or something. At least that way it'd be justifiable and not really by choice. In the other case, it's just completely wreckless and caused us to resent them as parents since they already have two young kids they're trying to shepherd through this. While the birthing scene was definitely suspenseful, and was by far the scene that I was most invested in, the whole time we found ourselves resenting the parents for putting the mom in that situation.

2-The alien in the basement not being able to find the baby in the open casket while it's whimpering but yet locks on with perfect focus to a floorboard creak, or monopoly dice that don't land on a blanket. You've got to be kidding me- when the casket was open I thought for SURE the baby was dead and that would have been the ultimate gut punch, a twist that would have absolutely kicked the audience's rear end and been an amazingly aggressive turn of events, but instead Emily Blount walks over, and there's the baby, happy as can be, whimpering away while an alien with supposedly magnificent hearing (to the point that they make sure you see the humans walking on sand the entire time) walks around aimlessly like "Durrrrrr where da baby at!?".

3-"Hey, I just gave birth, ran around a whole bunch, blasted an alien in the face with a shotgun, but I'm gonna smile and cock this bad boy while my daughter gets ready to blast the frequency on the microphone cause we just figured out how to kill ya'll! Also, I have like 5 shots left, but LOCK AND LOAD!" What a poo poo ending.

The fiancee (who is an absolute horror encyclopedia and LOVES scary movies) tore it to shreds afterwards. We both agreed that the premise was really cool, but the execution failed miserably.

It's super disappointing because I think it could have been great with a few tweaks :(

1. People don't just stop loving.

2. The crib has already been shown to be semi sound prood and it's floating in moving water. I would say the baby not screaming coming out was less unbelievable, but it's a movie and my toddler bloodlust was already sated.

3. Who gives a poo poo it was rad. Also, ever heard of people doing extraordinary things when someone's life depended on it?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 12, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TheKevman posted:

It was open...

:ughh:

The most perfect baby ever barely makes a sound, especially compared to the running water. The movie is building on visuals to present a story. Running water sideways is almost as effective as water falling. The thing was tracking it though, in the water where sounds are magnified. It's why she then walks behind the thin trickle of water.

It's just weird to me that your complaint is something the movie sets rules for and not something that goes against "common sense" with how terrifically quiet the baby actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I stepped on a nail in that exact spot as a kid, demoing a house with my uncle. Didn't even feel it and dragged the plank of wood with me. Even after, they just put slices of tomatoes on the hole and made me wear like 4 tube socks. Totally unrealistic in the movie.