Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MAMMALS HAVE A PLAY CIRCUIT

So this 2-3 year old kid who's parent is in the hospital and is not eating is sulking and unhappy, and J. Petersen felt that this was *wrong*, and tried to trick/force him into acting the way J.Petersen *thought he should be acting, ignoring context completely*.

"and the interesting thing is, that I think he was the psychologist? *sniffs*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

1:32. Because he's talking about (1) bell curve, which I understand, but then he starts adding multiple curves, I guess, and then "moving them around"

This was already with my brain trying to sound the depths of the mystery of what he meant by people being "over-represented" by anxiety or depression on one side, and alcoholism and being an rear end in a top hat on the other, and sure you mean - the data shows this - if you talk about a gender split?

Also I swear I've never heard petersen speak before, and my first thought was "wow, people were not kidding about the Kermit the frog thing."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pththya-lyi posted:

I read the whoooole thing

"Gee, I wonder why this kid who is dealing with an adult he sees everyday being hospitalized doesn't feel like playing. Could he be grieving for someone he cares about coming to harm? Nah, must be because he doesn't respect adults!"

There, I figured it out, the dragon the kid was dealing with was the disruption and worry caused by the loss of his caregiver, that's why he latched onto the first adult woman who praised him. I'm officially smarter than JBP

E: where's my tenured position

Just FYI, a few weeks ago ol' JP went on a tangent discussing Hitler's motives for making war and didn't mention anti-semitism

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I can tell you in academia 'how the hell did X get tenure' is a common thing. Just as far as Canada goes, there was some sociologist (at western I think) I think who got tenure and then proceeded to use statistics to show how non-whites, women etc are less intelligent than white men because IQ SCORES

Academia is very hosed up and in need of reform, and if you learned this via J. Petersen, then good, you've learned something useful. TBH via CSPAM I read a very good article taking down Petersen that made that precise point.

As for U of T (University of Toronto) it has a good rep, but is also one of the largest universities in Canada, with a student body as big as some cities I've lived in. What's more, with hiring practices and esp. tenure, if a bad egg gets past the vetting process, then the first instinct of admin is to cover their own asses and never admit wrongdoing. You can't demote someone with tenure unless they do very specific things, so if crazy gets in, the habit is to tolerate and ignore it

e: no idea if Petersen was better at one point, but gibberish omnibus "Maps of Meaning" argues no

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

that wasnt really a reason to go to war, if everybody rolled like czhechoslovakia theydve opeend the camps anyway

Antisemitism was at the heart of all Nazi aggression, the entire reason for going to war in the first place was to conquer enough of the east to "become a power of the first rank" so when international jewery manipulated events to have everybody (IE western Europe, the US) declare war on them the Nazis could fight back and win

Hitler's take to Europe in the late '30s starting an arms buildup in resonance to Nazi aggression was "holy poo poo, those jews move quickly" and to accelerate plans for war

Wheeee posted:

Thank you for that post, would you happen to have a link to that article, or the name of the author so that I may search for it?

no problem: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

get that OUT of my face posted:

people say that Hitler hated communists and jews equally, but that's because he was convinced communism was a jewish plot and everyone who followed it were slaves to the jews

:hai:

This is also why he thought genocide and conquest was just the thing for the Western USSR, as untermenchen slavs under control of die jewden was like a multiplication of unter-ness, thus making all the material superiority of the USSR irreverent

• Locked thread