Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I better go buy a 240Z before you guys swap all the motors out of them. This looks like a fun project, can't wait to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Have you considered banging a 280ZX transmission into there? I think they're a little tougher.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Datsun seemed never to be able to make a good turn signal. At least by the time of the 280Z they were no longer making electromechanical turn signals, including this nightmare, the sequentials on the Bluebird SSS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChH--ndoofc

Does this motor come with its own controller? It's a little unclear from the diagram. There was a Geo Metro EV conversion here a few months ago that was selling for less than it would cost to buy the Zilla1k installed in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Ah. So the resulting torque-at-wheels, while maintaining a suitable top speed, is acceptable in the Tesla setup but probably not in this Datsun scenario.

This is where the future of manuals should be taken.

The future of the manual transmission on EVs, in my book, is the analogue regen paddle, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyyqqPSIwqA&t=379s

Need a 50kW fast charge? Get towed behind a pickup truck and feather the regen paddle. You can also fiddle with it mid-corner (back the video up a bit) to regulate torque output and balance the car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 11, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cool stuff. Those little blue connectors are weird.

Are those orange pads covering up terminals?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Should talk to the revlimiter guy and see what he would do.

http://revlimiter.net/store/gauges-custom.php

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

Battery modules are 55lbs each. There is still about 200lbs of weight remaining that will be up front (motor, adapter, controller). I'll asses the stance when it's complete and if it's still absurd I will probably lower the front. Open to suggestions!

A little rear end-heavy isn't the end of the world. IIRC, early S30s at least are a little light in the front from the factory but you can probably work around that. I don't know if I would lower it and reduce the available travel for looks as a consequence. Apparently the late Z is pretty close to 52/48. I think you might be okay. Add the bumpers back on one end to balance :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 21, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is gonna be cool!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fender Anarchist posted:

I kind of love the bulldog stance.

Half the appeal of the 240Z is watching the front end get light when you get rowdy. It does look like the front toe is suspect though.

Keep the drum brakes. I am sure with only a little fiddling they'll be fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How's this thing working out? Still vibratey?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I know on the Leaf there are a lot of complaints about the battery cooling. They just ended up bodging on a fan, but I think the Toyota system actually uses the HVAC from the car to heat/cool the batteries.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Try a Miata seat until you get a chance to rebuild the stock Z seat. They're really common, small enough for 70s cars, and should be easy to adapt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A lot of dudes from the older generation are seemingly convinced that custom PCBs don't cost two dollars and arrive in a week from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a good find. I know Battery Hookup was trying to get rid of some Jeep hybrid batteries, these look like the same unit.