Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is so awesome. I've been daydreaming about this sort of thing for a while now, but the batteries are still so expensive. Even early leaf batteries seem to have dried up.

Leaf batteries seem to be around $125/rated kwh, Tesla modules close to $300/kwh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't you just love gently prying on 40 year old plastic?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine taking off hard in 3rd or 5th would probably shear the gears.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Higher gears usually have smaller teeth and narrower gear faces.

NV5600s and G56s always blow up 5th or 6th. T5s always blow up 5th. WRX 5 speeds always blow up third. RA width gears for the WRX are only 1mm wider, but are supposed to be nearly 50% stronger.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 11, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How much experience do you have with this type of thing?

There are 2 30hp canned hermetic motors coming up at an auction here that look like they could be siamesed and stuffed in a driveshaft tunnel.

http://details.maauctions.com/IndlistingYYC_Detail?Link=10/8/2018%5E83308c162ad04acaa5f257baf2bc7f9b

Electric motors usually go for scrap value, the pair of them could be around $200.and any project with them would probably be years off, but how well do you think these would work in powering a car?

Looking at the plate, they're 230/460v AC, 104/52 amp, 30hp, 1750rpm, continuous duty cycle. designed to run pumps.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is any of your HVAC stuff vacuum controlled?

I would think on any EV conversion with power steering you would want to go to hydro-boost and cut out the vacuum system entirely.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bawfuls posted:

:frogsiren: Oh also how could I forget, this car needs a name! :frogsiren:

I’m open to suggestions. Bonus points if the name can fit on a 7 digit CA license plate.

zeevee

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do a burnout! :haw:

Awesome car, awesome project.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might time to add a line lock into the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do a wheelie!