Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Colonel Cancer posted:

Is the dude with flying eye robots the same dude who got his head crushed in Blade runner?
who cares, his scenes contribute absolutely nothing to the "plot" (much like harley's bf in suicide squad, what was his name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Gazpacho posted:

who cares, his scenes contribute absolutely nothing to the "plot" (much like harley's bf in suicide squad, what was his name)

It's worldbuilding :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

yeah it reminds me of the way i felt after finishing Invisible War

Yep

ok its over. as good as I remember 9/10 thanks for watching

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Good movie

Not a good story.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw the asnwer to that question is given right on screen at the beginning of the movie (in a font that is probably unreadable in the DVD version)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
as far as i can remember at no point does anyone mention that las vegas in the movie is las vegas, it's introduced as this place that is very radioactive for reasons that you are left to guess at, and there are korean statues and korean signs and its ... not korea? v:confused:v

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gazpacho posted:

as far as i can remember at no point does anyone mention that las vegas in the movie is las vegas, it's introduced as this place that is very radioactive for reasons that you are left to guess at, and there are korean statues and korean signs and its ... not korea? v:confused:v

The second movie continues off the setting of the first, Atari is still a big deal, lots of analog tech and weird physical buttons and print outs. They maintained the setting and the movie benefits from it bigly. Guess vegas got smoked at some point.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Gazpacho posted:

No. Las Vegas is called Las Vegas clearly. Otherwise how did you know it was Las Vegas?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's nothing in blade runner (the only movie) about las vegas being a place that catered exclusively to koreans but became radioactive

Frankenstyle posted:

No. Las Vegas is called Las Vegas clearly. Otherwise how did you know it was Las Vegas?
I got it from some review or other

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
in blade runner deckard actually walks around urban los angeles. he visits places. he chases people.

the "urban" set in this movie was the size of a drat shoebox and, aside from the visit with a street vendor, lil blade runner just sits at a food court table saying his lines

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Frog Act posted:

why does the bad guy want to make self reproducing replicants to colonize the stars when there are gigantic warehouse style orphanages full of surplus human children? doesn't make any sense.

thank you in advance

because he's a gigantic narcissist and it would be flattering to his ego

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Holo waifu overlay for prozzies is the future

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

Kazak posted:

love that big motorcycle sound now I pretend I'm in cyber future whenever I heara motorcycle rev

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
After I watched it, I said to myself ‘that didn’t actively ruin the first one so good job I guess’.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I thought those children were thrown away replicants

Oops

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Gazpacho posted:

the "urban" set in this movie was the size of a drat shoebox and, aside from the visit with a street vendor, lil blade runner just sits at a food court table saying his lines

I actually really liked it. Mostly because it worked well with the first without loving up what was good with it. Maybe I liked it less because of how good it was and more because it wasn't the pile of poo poo I was expecting. But yeah, the exterior sets were a huge step down from the first, and the CGI cityscapes have already aged more poorly than the models they used in the 80's. It would have been so much better if they'd hired carpenters instead of programmers.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

myDad posted:

it was good & I'm gonna watch it again

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I think gazs gimmick is posting like a total nincompoop what dont understand movies

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

I thought it was p alright.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I liked the shower tech

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Spoiler:

I thought the ending was pretty hosed.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

myDad posted:

it was good & I'm gonna watch it again

:yeah:

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

i thought it was underrated.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Where the gently caress is my Cyberpunk 2020 movie based on the game?
They were gonna make a vidya based on the 2070 universe but I want the 2020 movie. And I want it done right. Damnit.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
It could have been like 30 minutes shorter without cutting out a single scene if they made every scene shorter by cutting down on the time spent deliberately gazing and reacting

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
He runs a company that makes replicants and would make more money by building and selling more replicants

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm glad that I ate drugs biscuits and went to go this movie at the imax, twice

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
that movie was super overrated

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The scene with the daughter where she's making the memories was amazing, one of my favorite scenes in cinema ever.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Doctor J Off posted:

It could have been like 30 minutes shorter without cutting out a single scene if they made every scene shorter by cutting down on the time spent deliberately gazing and reacting

This is one of the things I liked about it :shrug:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also there are a bunch of very obvious shots of the luxor in the vegas part of the movie, they didn't need to have someone pipe up and say "Hell o it is las vegas here" or have LAS VEGAS BUT ITS BAD IN THE FUTURE pop up on the screen like in the opening scene

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

HOW DO THEY poo poo IN THE FUTURE, RIDS

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

The Big Word posted:

Also there are a bunch of very obvious shots of the luxor in the vegas part of the movie, they didn't need to have someone pipe up and say "Hell o it is las vegas here" or have LAS VEGAS BUT ITS BAD IN THE FUTURE pop up on the screen like in the opening scene

The best part about this movie was how you had to connect the dots like that. It doesn't out and out tell you explicitly that harrison ford is in las vegas or that robin wright has a huge uncut 8 inch cock she pegs rogue replicants with.

It treats the viewers like adults, which i like.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Doctor J Off posted:

Your time isn't that valuable

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

New blade runner had good atmosphere but holy poo poo could this movie be better. Remove the fake robot girlfriend or make her more related to the plot, and definitely remove geriatric loving Harrison Ford. I'd say I hope his next plane crash is fatal but we now have the technology to put dead actors into movies so we'll be seeing him for the next 50 or so years anyways.

Jack Off Instructions was part of the story. She is made by Leto's company and spies on Gosling. Plus, near the end the advertisement says something like "everything you want to hear" or some poo poo which is exposition that says the audience is too dumb so we will tell you outright.

What they needed to get rid of was Harrison Ford. Old people need to die faster.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
time to die

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I dunno it was pretty good and enjoyable. Sorry ya can't enjoy a few hours diversion from whatever's going on in your life.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It was basically beautiful cinematography: the movie and not a whole lot else, but I'm into that so that was enough for me to like it. It definitely could have been 30 minutes shorter and Gosling's character doesn't feel like an emotionless android but more like an angsty depressed teenager, and Ford either didn't want to do this at all or was given nothing to say or do.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The replicants are not and never have been meant to be emotionless. That's such a fundamental misunderstanding of the whole premise I question whether you even saw the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It was basically beautiful cinematography: the movie and not a whole lot else, but I'm into that so that was enough for me to like it. It definitely could have been 30 minutes shorter and Gosling's character doesn't feel like an emotionless android but more like an angsty depressed teenager, and Ford either didn't want to do this at all or was given nothing to say or do.

He used all his autism spoons in drive

• Locked thread