Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Welcome to the latest anime based on Shigeru Mizuki's classic ghost manga, GeGeGe no Kitaro.

GeGeGe no Kitaro is about a ghost boy named Kitaro, his eyeball dad Eyeball Daddy, and his many ghostly friends as they help the largely ignorant human world against the threat of mean and sometimes outright evil ghosts. You don't need to have seen or read any other GeGeGe no Kitaro to know what's going on here! This show is for newcomers of all ages.

The original Kitaro was about the anxiety in the postwar period as Japan shifted away from being mostly rural . This one excites me because it picks up on that to be about how Japan is now an urban society and how the conflict with that rural past can manifest in uncomfortable ways. There's good laughs, fun action and even some well executed horror. This is a kids show though so don't expect anything super gory.

If you like this check out 2008's Hakaba Kitaro, which is based on the original Kitaro manga that was oriented at adults. It's a great black comedy that also has great horror concepts in it that you'll probably see come up again in this series! Also read the manga of Hakaba Kitaro because it's really really good! Drawn & Quarterly is also putting out lots of volumes of the original kids manga.

You can watch this every Saturday on Crunchyroll!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

http://www.tcj.com/blood-plants-mizuki-shigeru-kitaro-and-the-japanese-blood-industry/

Here's a cool article on the likely inspiration for the vampire trees in the first episode

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I liked the emphasis it had on cell phones in the first episode, acknowledging time has passed since the first series and making the main character seem like even more of an urban legend.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh huh. Slowbeef streamed an old game of this a while back. Seeing updates to really old properties is always interesting at least.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This show reminds me of Osumatsu-san in how it treats the source material

Glad it's back, looking forward to see more of the ge-est show in television

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Best show that's going to be shat on from space for not being more DB Super.

It helps ("forcefield dog eating dinosaur" moments besides) that it seems to be doing well for itself. Even if Neko-musune (I'm not calling her catchick and you can't make me, Toei's office gaijin) looks like she walked out of a Monogatri novel and is about ready to spend a whole chapter spouting crap about looking up skirts.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

She looks fine

Everyone in this show looks thinner and older than in other kitaros and that's fine

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Best show that's going to be shat on from space for not being more DB Super.

It helps ("forcefield dog eating dinosaur" moments besides) that it seems to be doing well for itself. Even if Neko-musune (I'm not calling her catchick and you can't make me, Toei's office gaijin) looks like she walked out of a Monogatri novel and is about ready to spend a whole chapter spouting crap about looking up skirts.

???

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like how gnarly catchick looks when she goes full yokai, thats neat.

This episode was a fun thing keeping up the formula from last ep, still super entertaining.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ge

Ge

Gegege no geeeeeeeeee

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

I like how gnarly catchick looks when she goes full yokai, thats neat.

This episode was a fun thing keeping up the formula from last ep, still super entertaining.

Yeah I think her more modern design actually helps with that, since the difference in her forms is much more pronounced now. Can we not call her Catchick though. Please. :(

also, I'm ge

(ge)

(gegege no geeeeeeee)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nekomusume sure is long

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

nekomusume sure is long

If they thought catchick was fine, catgirl would have worked, too. Especially since she's one of the oldest examples.
Though she may become catwoman by the next series if you interpolate her design changes over the years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd probably go for "Miss Cat."

"Catchick" is mixing your metaphors. Very sloppy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 9, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

What confused me is why they insisted on translating Neko Musume so weirdly, but then just straight up kept Miyage-nyudo.

I guess I don't get why there's a need to re-translate these names that have already been accepted previously for such an oft-returning series, especially if they're not going to go all the way with it. Are we that opposed to simple TL notes nowadays for those who are new to the series? It's not like its KEIKAKU MEANS PLAN level, we're talking about someone's name that happens to also describe them.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

cathead posted:

What confused me is why they insisted on translating Neko Musume so weirdly, but then just straight up kept Miyage-nyudo.

I guess I don't get why there's a need to re-translate these names that have already been accepted previously for such an oft-returning series, especially if they're not going to go all the way with it. Are we that opposed to simple TL notes nowadays for those who are new to the series? It's not like its KEIKAKU MEANS PLAN level, we're talking about someone's name that happens to also describe them.

Why put effort into non-recurring characters? :effort:

Rollo cloth...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

weird stuff like that is almost certainly due to licensor demand

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gatochica.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

cathead posted:

I actually looked into this after watching the first two episodes and I think they structured the names after Kodansha's Bilingual edition of the manga that came out in the early 2000's (give or take the timing here please) . If those were the newest attempt at localizing for an audience outside of Japan, that's most likely what they would have stuck with. This is also very likely one of the shows that, like Dragon Ball Super before it, has been translated and typeset by Toei themselves. (To be fair, this is only a guess on that regard. The font styles and how they typeset signs and names lead me to believe that for both Super and Kitaro)

While it's more of an annoyance with characters like Neko-musume, I would guess that any future 1-episode yokai characters will either remain untranslated or simply translated to fit how they were handled in those earlier manga editions.

(Quick edit that I hadn't seen the key art in the first post before and think it's rather neat. I really like how they've handled this new adaptation so far and it's definitely a show I'm going to try to keep an eye on.)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sharkopath posted:

Gatochica.

Muy bien

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show seems cool and fun. I like the nekonee-san.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I like the adventures of Kurapika and his dad, Goku.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

[I remember listening to an interview with the guy who got to translate a lot of Kitaro and he had to jump through a lot of hoops just to merely get the license because the creator was incredibly strict about how the property was handled.

IIRC he was literally quizzed on Kitaro and if he failed he wouldn't get the license. Dude played a hard game...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

[I remember listening to an interview with the guy who got to translate a lot of Kitaro and he had to jump through a lot of hoops just to merely get the license because the creator was incredibly strict about how the property was handled.

IIRC he was literally quizzed on Kitaro and if he failed he wouldn't get the license. Dude played a hard game...

You don't lose your drawing arm in the war just to let some no-nothing bastard touch your work years later.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

You don't lose your drawing arm in the war just to let some no-nothing bastard touch your work years later.

:hai:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

The creator sounds like a badass. He was ordered to die (seppuku?) in the war but basically refused.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
There is a movie about the guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-p2dUALVQ
based on his wife's autobiography.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Quack posted:

There is a movie about the guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-p2dUALVQ
based on his wife's autobiography.

And an NHK daily drama that ran for half a year.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cathead posted:

i mean, has GGGnK ever been officially translated before in the modern era? from what I gather this is the first series to officially make it to the Anglosphere, aside from the third anime getting a super-limited subtitled run on a Hawaiian channel for Japanese expats (that also semi-famously showed Dragon Ball and DBZ subtitled)

i really wouldn't be surprised if, instead of looking at this as "re-translating," they're basically just starting from scratch

e: by "the modern era" I mean post-late-90s or so, I have a weird feeling Streamline might have grabbed something from the franchise at some point but a) they're kinda outside-context for this and b) pretty much any modern translation of a thing Streamline did first is gonna ignore the hell out of their work anyways

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 10, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the various anime haven't made the jump but there are both child and adult targeted Kitaro manga collections in English

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

the various anime haven't made the jump but there are both child and adult targeted Kitaro manga collections in English

huh, TIL

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think all the localizations are pretty good except for Neko Musume's. Wally Wall, Eyeball Daddy, Old Man Crybaby are all funny names

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cat chick

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Missus Ladycats

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rename Neko-musume Chairman Meow

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

im glad neko musume makes that sound all cats do when they are extremely pissed off

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

Rename Neko-musume Chairman Meow

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
king gegege

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

New episode is ULTRA WHOLESOME. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show is fun. Worthy heir to Dragon Ball Super's slot as my fun, light-hearted Saturday evening anime.

• Locked thread