Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A hearty welcome to:
Buffalo
Ottawa
Arizona
Montreal
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago
Rangers
Edmonton
Islanders
Carolina
Calgary
Dallas
St Louis
Florida

THESE TEAMS COULDN'T GET PAST ROUND 1
Los Angeles Kings (Killed by: MAF Vegas)
Anaheim Ducks (Killed by: father time San Jose)
Minnesota Wild (killed by: Bad Coaching Winnipeg)
New Jersey Devils (killed by: Lack of Taylor Halls Tampa Bay)
Philadelphia Flyers (killed by: too many injuries Pittsburgh)
Colorado Avalanche (killed by: clock striking midnight Nashville)
Columbus Blue Jackets (killed by: too many OTs Washington)
Toronto Maple Leafs (killed by: Brad Marchand Boston)

ROUND 2 LOSERS:
Boston Bruins (killed by: a bad infection picked up while licking someone Tampa Bay)
San Jose Sharks (killed by: the fragment of the stick that's in the shark's mouth Vegas)
Pittsburgh Penguins (killed by: hubris Washington)
Nashville Predators (killed by: Rinne turning into a pumpkin Winnipeg)

SO CLOSE YET SO FAR (conference finals):
Winnipeg Jets (killed by: Ryan Reeves Vegas)
Tampa Bay Lightning (killed by: Climate Change Washington)

SNATCHED AWAY (Finals):
Vegas Golden Knights (Killed by: MAF Washington)

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"St Lous"

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it is good that the rangers fell behind edmonton (but gently caress the blackhawks) and that av is fired. i like sheldon keefe and i'd like to hire him however i also want the team to be total garbage for at least one season

assuming we draft at 8th i am hoping one of the following players is available (assuming dahlin/svechnikov/zadina is locked in as top 3), in order of how much i would like to draft them:

boqvist
wahlstrom
hughes
bouchard
tkachuk

of course i would like even more than that for the rangers to win the lottery and get dahlin but i won't hold my breath there. i really hope that the rangers don't draft joe veleno, who i think is an nhl player for sure but not a scorer at the nhl level

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
From the other thread:

Levitate posted:

I don't think he's getting fired just for this season. They had two straight disappointing playoff losses, especially that one against Ottawa, and the issues the Rangers have had have continued to get worse. Some of that is personnel change and yeah I think they have taken a step or two backwards in talent, but I dunno man you're basically saying "AV is the best coach in the league and can't fail, only be failed!" when you say no one else could possibly do as well and by the way all of the Rangers problems are not his fault at all.

So just to be clear I do not think AV is the best coach in the league, but I do think he’s a good coach and I don’t know who you’re bringing in that’s an upgrade on him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I’m not sure either, I swear I read a tweet from someone saying the Rangers wanted to hire a coach that would grow with the team so they presumably aren’t aiming to just jump right back into contention next year and are willing to gamble a bit on a young coach.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
you're in a rebuild. you bring in a coach that has a reputation for being good with player development. the knock on AV everywhere he's ever been is that he is bad at this, and he was bad at it with the rangers.

i think he's a good coach for a team with an established core. the rangers don't have that anymore. he had a good run here but very few coaches last 5 years with one team, and there's a reason for that. methods get stale.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jovial Cow posted:

From the other thread:

So just to be clear I do not think AV is the best coach in the league, but I do think he’s a good coach and I don’t know who you’re bringing in that’s an upgrade on him.

He's a good coach for a team ready to compete. He's a garbage coach for a team full of young players.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Hey hi gently caress Jim Benning

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

a false posted:

you're in a rebuild. you bring in a coach that has a reputation for being good with player development. the knock on AV everywhere he's ever been is that he is bad at this, and he was bad at it with the rangers.

i think he's a good coach for a team with an established core. the rangers don't have that anymore. he had a good run here but very few coaches last 5 years with one team, and there's a reason for that. methods get stale.

Matt Zerella posted:

He's a good coach for a team ready to compete. He's a garbage coach for a team full of young players.

See this is the narrative I think is overblown a bit. I think it’s safe to say everywhere AV has been has been a major market and he’s had a mandate to win.

Sure AV would move promising kids down the lineup but that’s because I think he was in win now mode with all of those teams.

This would be the first time I can think of where AV is running a team in true rebuild mode. I bet he would have no problems at all playing the kids, and I think extrapolating him being garbage at managing kids because he moved younger players down the lineup on veteran teams is a fallacy.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jovial Cow posted:

Sure AV would move promising kids down the lineup but that’s because I think he was in win now mode with all of those teams.

the problem with this line of thinking is that the promising kids would have given us a better chance to win now than the ones that he elevated over them and he did not recognize that

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

a false posted:

the problem with this line of thinking is that the promising kids would have given us a better chance to win now than the ones that he elevated over them and he did not recognize that

Wouldn’t you agree that this is something literally every single fan base in SAS can give you an example of for their team?

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 8, 2018

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

“Yes, yes, without a doubt,” Vigneault said. “I think my staff is the right staff for this job. I think, and this is just my opinion, but I think one of the strongest assets of this organization is its coaching staff and their experience. We’ve been able to do it with veteran players, we’ve been able to do it with younger players. Our development record — and our record, wins and losses — you know what, it’s pretty good, with young and older players.”

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think AV was fine with developing players with the Rangers, but that was with a lot of vets and a different team goal. He is notoriously lax as a locker room leader and prefers his players to police themselves and I think that’s a bad idea on a young rebuilding team that’s nothing like the vet teams he’s developed players with in the past

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm so loving happy Buchnevich is free from AV.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jovial Cow posted:

Wouldn’t you agree that this is something literally every single fan base in SAS can give you an example of for their team?

no? i don't think fans of, for example, toronto, boston, tampa, nj, or columbus have had any major complaints about the internal handling of their youth in recent years.

as i said before, i think vigneault is a good coach and i think he'll succeed elsewhere, but at this time he was not right for this team. he could win the cup next year and i would not regret firing him

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm so loving happy Buchnevich is free from AV.

:same:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yes, we do thank St. Lou Malnati's patron saint of Deep Dish that Chicago was both able to beat the Blues and not mess up their own tank.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Fire Chia.

I'd say fire McLellan but I don't really see anyone better available as a coach and there's only so much you can do with a poo poo roster

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Where does Pavel Buchnevich rank among Rangers skaters in even strength time on ice? 26th (12:17) *
Among forwards? 14th
Rank in total time on ice? 21st (15:01)
Points? 4th (43)

*Matt Beleskey played more in the one game he played.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the edmonton oilers will win the nhl draft lottery

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Ottawa was a horrible trainwreck all season, but that's ok because they finished second last in the league and... have a 61% chance to draft 4th or 5th.

Stupid Buffalo and Edmonton ruining the lottery for every other tanking team.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

*Matt Beleskey played more in the one game he played.

And there it loving is. Adios rear end in a top hat.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Hey hi gently caress Jim Benning

Yes

fits posted:

No

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Duchene trade ending with Colorado making the playoffs and Ottawa finishing 2nd last is one of the more delightful things in a season with a lot of competition.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
fire ken holland

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

And there it loving is. Adios rear end in a top hat.

:hai:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

fits posted:

no, and also, gently caress off

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
looking forward to buffalo not picking 1st again because the league is dumb as poo poo

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Fire Bergevin

Also the habs will drop in the lottery and gently caress up the pick anyways

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Pathetic end to the season for the Blues. Hopefully Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou make the opening day roster.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers will most likely get the 14th pick in the draft. That's pretty cool. I'll put of a draft thread after the lotto.

AV got canned, how many other coaches are on the hot seat?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
And in case you missed it, there's a cool thing going on over here and you might want to participate.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

fits posted:

the detroit ken hollands will win the nhl draft lottery

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Fire Bergevin.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Thank loving god it's over

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It is such a strange, sweet relief that the Montréal Canadiens are not playing hockey for 6 months.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rangers have never had a first overall, right? I don't think Calgary, Dallas, Arizona, or Vancouver have either.

I think everyone else in the lottery has done it before.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Hand Knit posted:

The Duchene trade ending with Colorado making the playoffs and Ottawa finishing 2nd last is one of the more delightful things in a season with a lot of competition.

Hey he went from dead last to second to last. That's progress.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Ginette Reno posted:

Rangers have never had a first overall, right? I don't think Calgary, Dallas, Arizona, or Vancouver have either.

I think everyone else in the lottery has done it before.

Calgary's 1st rounder was traded in the Hamonic deal and isn't lottery protected lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

Calgary's 1st rounder was traded in the Hamonic deal and isn't lottery protected lmao

lol. I think St. Louis also doesn't have their first from the Schenn deal but I think they lottery protected it so they keep it if it's top 10.

• Locked thread