Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

No one hired AV yet right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yellowcar posted:

No one hired AV yet right?

Correct

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
and I don't think there are any head coaching vacancies in the league right now...you'd think a team looking to make a change would have done so by now so AV's probably out of luck unless the Caps dump Trotz

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

and I don't think there are any head coaching vacancies in the league right now...you'd think a team looking to make a change would have done so by now so AV's probably out of luck unless the Caps dump Trotz

there's no way a team is dropping their head coach after being in the conference finals and going all the way to game 7

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DJExile posted:

there's no way a team is dropping their head coach after being in the conference finals and going all the way to game 7

Yeah I'd agree but there have been persistent rumors that Trotz isn't really liked by someone in the org

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hey

:(

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hi Bolts.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Hi bolts.

gently caress you.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Sorry Wonderllama and whichever other Bolts fans there are.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Hockey is a fool's game

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That Gourd whiff though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/RickCarpiniello/status/999480350245089281

Cool.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Way to choke Tampa

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Caps. Who would have thought

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Levitate posted:

Isles might clean house.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Welcome, Rangers South.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JoelJoel posted:

That Gourd whiff though.

I think that was entirely on Djoos obstructing Gord's stick juuuuuuuuuust long enough that the wiff happened.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, what killed the Lightning?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

iospace posted:

Also, what killed the Lightning?

The people in Washington.

I’m trying to make some kind of climate change joke here but I feel like I need to explain that for people to get it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

it must be really nice having a gm that can actually do the job

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Three first round picks for NYR?? A rare sight to behold

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Tailored Sauce posted:

Three first round picks for NYR?? A rare sight to behold

I'm on pins and needles that they don't choose three Dylan McIlraths

I will absolutely never hate a draft pick as much as that one

Marian Gaborik gets beaten up one time and they draft a goon at 10OA, lmao

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good on the Caps, but I'd be lying if I said a part of me didn't want them to win the first two games on the road and then drop four straight.

Levitate posted:

Yeah I'd agree but there have been persistent rumors that Trotz isn't really liked by someone in the org

I think he's probably staying now. Got past Pittsburgh AND got to the SCF.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

JawKnee posted:

it must be really nice having a gm that can actually do the job

This is the first year we've seen Jeff with full control and it's been something to watch.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/999669639331438592?s=19

just, lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

3 team trade list lol.

"i wanna go to the kings, blackhawks, or penguins"

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I talked about Buffalo bringing in a lot of Swedes this off season, and then this rumor pops up.

https://twitter.com/aalexnil/status/999262030627524608

This would be an interesting move. Bring in the Swedish guy as a Housley assistant to 1) assist in acclimating all of the new Swedish players, and 2) put a little bit of internal pressure on Housley to not be a bad coach

I don't know really anything about this guy though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doesn't SJ re-signing Kane also improve the draft pick they gave up, like a 2nd instead of a 3rd or somesuch?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

whatis posted:

I talked about Buffalo bringing in a lot of Swedes this off season, and then this rumor pops up.

This would be an interesting move. Bring in the Swedish guy as a Housley assistant to 1) assist in acclimating all of the new Swedish players, and 2) put a little bit of internal pressure on Housley to not be a bad coach

quote:

He is best described as a hybrid.

Grönborg is actually a dual Swedish-American citizen after playing college hockey at St. Cloud State in Minnesota and spending the first 10 years of his coaching career in places like Wisconsin, Montana and Texas. He married a woman from Salt Lake City and holds a master’s degree in management and leadership.

In fact, he might never have returned home in the first place had he been successful in landing the Spokane Chiefs’ head coaching job in 2005—finishing as a runner-up to Bill Peters after working one season as an assistant coach with the WHL team.

It was shortly after that when the Swedish federation came calling. A big part of Grönborg’s appeal to them was that he had learned a different style of the sport while working in the U.S., and they were interested in exploring different methods of running a bench.

“When it comes to North American coaching, generally speaking, a coach comes to coach vs. just being a trainer, as we call it in Sweden [coach is translated as tränare in Swedish]. Go out and train the team,” said Grönborg. “Here it’s actually a coach and kind of plan how we utilize the players and give them job descriptions and whatnot. There’s different tweaks in the game situations instead of just kind of rotating four lines, which was very common back in Sweden.

“You’d rotate four lines until there was 10 minutes left and then go down to three lines and then you go down to two lines the last two minutes. …In Sweden, it was very common to have four very even lines.”

Grönborg instead prefers to carve out specific roles and assign tasks. He is keen on communication so that expectations are clear and believes that the next generation of players will require more feedback than ever before because of the world in which they were raised.

“There’s so many X’s and O’s out there—I think most coaches coaching at that level, they know their X’s and O’s—but how do you get the players to grow in your environment?” he said. “Because that’s the biggest key for me. How do you communicate with those players? How did you get them to excel and become better and buy into the system? That’s what I’m intrigued about, is how you develop the players.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rikard-gronborg-nhls-first-european-head-coach-since-2001/

I think it'd be weird to bring him in as an assistant -- it would be like the Yeo/Hitch situation with everyone just waiting for Housley to get fired.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't SJ re-signing Kane also improve the draft pick they gave up, like a 2nd instead of a 3rd or somesuch?

The pick becomes a lottery-protected 1st in 2019. If the Sharks miss the playoffs, it becomes an unprotected 1st in 2020

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I think it'd be weird to bring him in as an assistant -- it would be like the Yeo/Hitch situation with everyone just waiting for Housley to get fired.

honestly, I would be ok with this

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
That Kane contract is weird. Just seems like unnecessary over payment for a guy who seemingly wanted to stay there anyway. I know NHL free agency is dumb but I don't think any team would have given Kane that kind of deal had he made it to free agency.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Dreger made a comment this morning on Buffalo radio that the Sharks have a lot of money to spend and plan to take a serious run at Tavares, and that spending the money to bring in/keep another "big" player might help convince him that they're serious about contending and winning right now. But Dreger is also an idiot, so who knows

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

whatis posted:

Rangers were also interested though it wasn't reported at the same time as this

Guy says he wants to be a head coach though, not an assistant. Might go to the KHL instead.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

whatis posted:

Dreger made a comment this morning on Buffalo radio that the Sharks have a lot of money to spend and plan to take a serious run at Tavares, and that spending the money to bring in/keep another "big" player might help convince him that they're serious about contending and winning right now. But Dreger is also an idiot, so who knows

Hmmm let's try to lure the player who has toiled on a team that has mismanaged its assets by signing Evander Kane to a 7X7 deal with a NTC.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Lou/Babcock have taught Dubas well

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/999703109243826176?s=20

Also potential *shots fired* at Mark Hunter considering the general opinion of his last two drafts

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Hmmm let's try to lure the player who has toiled on a team that has mismanaged its assets by signing Evander Kane to a 7X7 deal with a NTC.

ya, it owns

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thank Christ it wasn't the Canucks

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

hifi posted:

3 team trade list lol.

"i wanna go to the kings, blackhawks, or penguins"

If he puts Winnipeg on the list, it's basically a 2-team trade list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Apparently Ruff is still a potential assistant coach for the Rangers. He and Quinn have been trying to get in touch to discuss things and see if it's a fit

• Locked thread