Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Apparently Ruff is still a potential assistant coach for the Rangers. He and Quinn have been trying to get in touch to discuss things and see if it's a fit

I figured they would want to keep Ruff around to have the experience while bringing in a new head coach. My understanding is that they wouldn't hold him back from a head coaching job, but other teams weren't really looking for a guy like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
MichaelScottNoooooo.gif

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Getting John Tavares on a 7x7 contact is awesome great job Doug

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes new third unveiled june 22. kachina or bust and i would die happy if it's the mountains and saguaro one

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I didn't think they could have real thirds yet.

My wallet cries.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

hifi posted:

coyotes new third unveiled june 22. kachina or bust and i would die happy if it's the mountains and saguaro one

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/999767310318555136

somewhere lamoriello would shed a single tear, if he was physically capable of doing so

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

hifi posted:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

This, but with a coyote.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

fits posted:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/999767310318555136

somewhere lamoriello would shed a single tear, if he was physically capable of doing so

Lou would be tearing Dubas a new one for saying there’s been movement.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

I didn't think they could have real thirds yet.

My wallet cries.

they retired the running dog one either 2 or 3 years ago and had the throwback as a not official one and adidas hosed them over by saying they weren't doing any new jerseys this year so they couldn't do anything

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

hifi posted:

they retired the running dog one either 2 or 3 years ago and had the throwback as a not official one and adidas hosed them over by saying they weren't doing any new jerseys this year so they couldn't do anything

The Coyotes should use actual coyotes as seat fillers. The dogs could howl for the crowd noise, and people could pet them and give them snacks. The howling would really get the crowd going.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Lou sucks

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Kane's injury history means a seven year deal is almost certainly going to turn to poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guys I am loving PUMPED with this Stars playoff run:unsmith:

oh wait it's the minor league Stars.:smith:

Still cool!:unsmith:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

No one hired AV yet right?

He's destined to be coach when Claude gets fired.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Some interesting bits from Larry Brooks's article here...though it's Brooksie so there's some element of his editorializing.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/24/david-quinn-will-instill-in-rangers-what-their-old-coach-let-slip/

The talk about how they had fewer and less productive practices, AV's hands off coaching style and the complacency that slipped into the team, etc. Rangers didn't have leaders that would kick some butts if they needed to and the coach wasn't going to get involved because it's not his style, so everything just got...complacent. Slow. No urgency at all at any time.

It's very unlikely that Quinn will be as successful as AV was with the Rangers but hopefully he can at least build a better foundation for the team than AV left

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

this is such a weird feeling.

That Kane contract is so hilariously bad. I guess it makes a tiny bit sense since Thornton is up this year, and Couture and Pavelski next? Still, he's at best a 2nd tier winger. Yeesh.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Levitate posted:

Some interesting bits from Larry Brooks's article here...though it's Brooksie so there's some element of his editorializing.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/24/david-quinn-will-instill-in-rangers-what-their-old-coach-let-slip/

The talk about how they had fewer and less productive practices, AV's hands off coaching style and the complacency that slipped into the team, etc. Rangers didn't have leaders that would kick some butts if they needed to and the coach wasn't going to get involved because it's not his style, so everything just got...complacent. Slow. No urgency at all at any time.

It's very unlikely that Quinn will be as successful as AV was with the Rangers but hopefully he can at least build a better foundation for the team than AV left

Levitate posted:

the young guys hoding the old guys accountable is such a weird concept. I don't get why Hayes and co can't just hold themselves accountable as the leaders of the team??

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

the young guys hoding the old guys accountable is such a weird concept. I don't get why Hayes and co can't just hold themselves accountable as the leaders of the team??

Yeah I was going to do a better job at work today but I just felt that the leadership wasn't there so I phoned it in.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

hifi posted:

The original coyotes jerseys were my favorites in the league, I wish they would just go back to those full time. The current jerseys are the most bland things imaginable

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

clean ayers act posted:

The original coyotes jerseys were my favorites in the league, I wish they would just go back to those full time. The current jerseys are the most bland things imaginable

It suits them.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

This reeks to me of correlation rather than causation. All anyone has spoke about for probably the last 5 years was how great the rangers locker room was, how many leaders there were in it, how even the kids were mature beyond their age and bought into the group mentality.

Then guess what, the other shoe dropped and you shipped off a whole bunch of pretty big locker room presences and the whole group basically admitted everyone was devastated. At the same time everyone down in Tampa is saying how great it is to have all these ex rangers for their leadership.

Having this be an indictment of Vigneault, Hayes, Kreider, or Shattenkirk is downright silly. It wasn’t their lack of holding people accountable or lack of leadership.

It was a flawed roster that got injured and then gutted. The remainder of the vets could grill everyone for not playing well enough until they are red in the face but it’s not changing the season trajectory.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't think they were talking about after the sell off at the trade deadline.

The Rangers have been looking slow and complacent for awhile and it's said over and over that AV relies on his veterans to run the room and set the tone. I think lots of those guys are good leaders but I think they lacked some aggressiveness to give the team a kick in the rear end when it was needed. The response seemed to be "we just need to settle down and play our game and be measured, control the game, etc" and then they'd get their poo poo kicked in because the NHL is changing to the point where you need to play an aggressive game and can't play a passive sit back and be careful and measured in your approach. In short, I think they got used to success in one way and thought they just needed to keep going back to that. The leadership group of players lacked any real fire and the coach was hands off.

Can't speak for any of the accountability stuff though. My impression is that they're saying everyone in the locker room needs to push each other to perform their best every night and a young player should have a voice if veteran players are playing complacent.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

I don't think they were talking about after the sell off at the trade deadline.

The Rangers have been looking slow and complacent for awhile and it's said over and over that AV relies on his veterans to run the room and set the tone. I think lots of those guys are good leaders but I think they lacked some aggressiveness to give the team a kick in the rear end when it was needed. The response seemed to be "we just need to settle down and play our game and be measured, control the game, etc" and then they'd get their poo poo kicked in because the NHL is changing to the point where you need to play an aggressive game and can't play a passive sit back and be careful and measured in your approach. In short, I think they got used to success in one way and thought they just needed to keep going back to that. The leadership group of players lacked any real fire and the coach was hands off.

Can't speak for any of the accountability stuff though. My impression is that they're saying everyone in the locker room needs to push each other to perform their best every night and a young player should have a voice if veteran players are playing complacent.

Even the slow and complacent thing I don’t think is so much a function of effort as it is of roster construction/injuries. Ever since we lost Hagelin we’ve been losing team speed. Even losing a guy like Lindberg to Vegas hurts in that regard, he was like Fast where he’d get in on you quick on the forecheck. And then this year I mean your fastest guys on the team we’re probably Kreider, Grabner, Fast, and Mac. Three of those guys battled injuries over the course of the year and two of them got traded.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Trade Hayes to Calgary for noted good locker room guy Troy Brouwer. Problems solved.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
As the season wore on, Hayes decided to score goals more, and Shattenkirk began to use the word "ow" a lot more. AV looked at his comprehensive stats package and wondered why Lundqvist's save percentage wasn't .930 - all the high risk areas were as red as a stop light, meaning he must have been stopping those shots from the doorstep, right?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

RIP beard

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
His moustache is reaaaaaaaaaaaal bad.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

His moustache is reaaaaaaaaaaaal bad.

He's gotta be doing this to gently caress with people at this point. Which I can appreciate.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Laine rules

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Did he shave his hairline back?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

JoelJoel posted:

Did he shave his hairline back?

I think it’s just a weird angle and a shadow with his hair pushed back. That said, he might be a bald sasquatch in a few years.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Either way, it looks divine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Real smooth.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Zat posted:

RIP beard

a beautiful man

yellowcar posted:

Laine rules

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Zat posted:

RIP beard

R.O.U.S's? I dont think they exist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

R.O.U.S's? I dont think they exist.

Hahahahaha

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Canucks officially signed the 2019 Calder trophy winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The Toronto Marleaus will win the Calder Cup.

• Locked thread