Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

eXXon posted:

If we could fast-forward into the future where Liljegren is a Norris-calibre defenseman, Dermott has learned how to shoot right and the medical staff have plugged up the hole in Gardiner's brain, that would be great.

Also fire Lamoriello yesterday.

There's also a problem in that the Leafs forwards haven't successfully implemented the kind of breakout Babcock wants from them. He switched back to stretch passes after the offense went through a dry spell. I almost wonder if the Leafs screwed around with this stuff too much this season, cause this series was full of their D dumping the puck up the boards expecting their support to get it out, but they were already up the ice.

Gardiner had a bad game, a bad series really, but some of the heat Craig Simpson was giving was a little much. "He should eat the puck in the corner", well it's almost as if there's a problem when that's the best play constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Mike Babcock losing confidence in a young player isn't the least likely thing I've heard.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Koopa Kid posted:

Are you seriously giving credence to a Nick Kypreos gossip piece about the team’s franchise star right now?

It might be true, and someone in the organization might be feeding him it. I don't buy the whole "Leafs management has turned a corner" narrative. Shanahan is as firmly in charge as Brian Burke was.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Iodised QQ posted:

The other immediate concern is fixing the defense, and looking over Toronto's current D, oh, right

Lou made a pretty good addition by subtraction in getting rid of Phaneuf. Leafs need top of the depth chart talent, and I don't think there was a missed opportunity that Lou should've jumped on.

They steadily improved their depth at D every year he was GM. Leafs D isn't great, but it was so much worse. His first season Morgan Rielly was paired with Martin Marincin for half the season. This year Marincin was like 9th on the depth chart.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Koopa Kid posted:

Just because Babcock played Roman Polak and Ron Hainsey (both of whom Lou signed) over some other guy that also sucked doesn’t mean the Leafs depth improved. Zaitsev was also trash this year and has a massive anchor contract thanks to Lou. The Leafs just swapped a bunch of #5-6 guys around and called it progress when the forwards got better.

The only redeeming thing about the Leafs D depth this year was that Dermott actually developed ok, which Lou had nothing to do with.

Dumping a bad contract onto a dumb team was a great move, but there’s no evidence that Lamoriello knows how to build a corps back up again in this era.

Ron Hainsey and Roman Polak are better than TJ Brennan, Eric Brewer, Korbinian Holzer, Petter Granberg, Tim Erixon, Stephane Robidas, Stuart Percy and Andrew MacWilliam.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Koopa Kid posted:

Wait, you comparing the team to when the Leafs blew up the team and committed to the tank and got the first overall? Like, you know they were intentionally bad right? You’re giving Lou credit for... not tanking?

edit: Just to be clear here, if we’re saying Lou improved the Leafs defence year after year as GM the difference between Hunwick, Polak, Carrick, and Marincin to Hainsey, Polak, Zaitsev, and Dermott is that Dermott ended up learning how to skate in the intervening years. Otherwise it’s a wash except now it costs ~$5M more.

If it's easy to go from worst to competitive, why do some teams take so long doing it? Under Lou, the Leafs brought in Connor Carrick, Ron Hainsey (Who would've been fine if he wasn't overplayed), Nikita Zaitsev, Andreas Borgman, while giving up almost nothing in talent and picks. Those aren't bad depth pieces. If it's a wash, consider what would've happened this year in the playoffs if another defenseman got hurt versus last year's playoffs. Carrick or Borgman could've stepped in, where last year it was Marincin and Marchenko. That, to me, is improvement.

When Lou was brought in Roman Polak was Jake Gardiner's partner. Lou traded him, then only kept him on one year deals or camp invites where he had to play his way onto the team.

Admittedly, there is room for interpretation on Zaitsev, and I'm probably higher on him than most Leaf fans.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Levitate posted:

and I don't think there are any head coaching vacancies in the league right now...you'd think a team looking to make a change would have done so by now so AV's probably out of luck unless the Caps dump Trotz

Isles might clean house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

PK! Everything about this is AMAZING. The set-up. The acting. He gets hit with the ball!

Good luck with your vanity classes at Harvard PK.

• Locked thread