Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The thing is, they've drafted pretty decently. Outside of their inability to find a starting goalie and a true star they have a solid supporting cast. Since 2010 they've drafted: Skinner, Faulk, Rask, Lindholm, Hanifin, Slavin, Aho. That's without drafting in in the top 4. Their biggest miss was in 2014. Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers hurts.

I'm 50/50 on Bean and Gauthier but Necas is going to be a good pick. I dunno, there's certainly not any major mismanagement there beyond not going harder after a goalie. Darling was a good gamble but it didn't work out. Nedeljkovic looked like a good pick but he's regressed if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They don't even really have any movable assets that they *should* be moving. Staal and Skinner have NMCs and quite frankly are young enough to still be part of the turnaround. Darling looks like a bust but he has zero value.

Teravainen/Lindholm/Aho are all good, they're just missing that star to place in around of. Faulk is still good and signed to a solid deal. It's a mistake to give up on Hanifin this early unless you get blown away. Slavin was fantastic this year.

I don't think Haydn Fleury is that good so maybe if you can find a Chiarelli type to overpay for him, but that's about it really. I'd probably make Gauthier/Bean available if they could get someone who was a bit closer. Necas should be untouchable pretty much.

Levitate posted:

I feel like part of their problem though is that guys like Rask and Lindholm don't really put up the numbers they need and while are good middle six guys, they're not enough to provide the offense they need. We'll see how Aho turns out, but they need more real offensive threats. They're one of the best teams in the league at generating high danger area chances but have a crap shooting percentage.

I just don't see what they're going to get for those guys that moves them further along. Better to try Shero type deals and see if you can find a Palmieri than give up young proven commodities.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Chiarelli bought him some time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Confirmed for the US so far in the World Championships:
Casey Mittelstadt
Chris Kreider
Dylan Larkin
Alex DeBrincat
Patrick Kane
Connor Murphy
Gaudreau might be going too apparently?

For Canada:
RNH
McDavid
O'Reilly
Beauvillier
Barzal
Eberle
Horvat
Pageau
Chabot
Pulock

The braintrust is on the job

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/983405597235200000

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jovial Cow posted:

It’d be cool if Hayes tags along. Also Eichel should come.

Eichel isn't going (still banged up I guess). Skjei, Hayes, Gaudreau, Keller all rumoured. It'd be nice to see Hanifin/Slavin too. I doubt Goligoski or Yandle goes.

It's too bad Boeser got hurt. All the good American goalies are in the playoffs too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Counterpoint: It was great when he beat up Bortuzzo after the Jagr cheapshot

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
US added Gaudreau -- pretty decent start. Looking at the teams who are likely to go out you could see guys like Matthews/Gardiner/Gostisbehere/Kinkaid. There are a bunch of middle six/decent D from those teams as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Apparently Quick might play for the US at the WC? They could have their best team in years.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Furnaceface posted:

If Columbus drops the next 2 Torts will once again be available to ruin it for you guys. :v:

They already have Blashill to ruin it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

Another team eyeing overseas talent this off-season is one whose off-season has yet to begin. Russian news source Sport-Express reports that SKA St. Petersburg defenseman Yegor Yakovlev is planning to sign with the New Jersey Devils. It seems that GM Ray Shero and company have stayed busy on the talent acquisition front for next season, despite the team still being focused on their first-round playoff series.

Yakovlev, 26, is yet another talented member of KHL powerhouse SKA. Teammates like Ilya Kovalchuk, Nikita Gusev, Sergei Plotnikov, and Mikko Koskinen are among many on the roster who could sign in the NHL this summer, but Yakovlev seems to be closest to a concrete deal. Yakovlev lost games due to injury in 2017-18, but last season set career highs with 21 points and a +30 rating in 56 games. He made up for some missed time this year with a strong showing for Russia at the Olympics as well, skating on the team’s top pair. A high-energy two-way defenseman, Yakovlev certainly appears to have the talent to push for a regular role in the NHL.

Left handed D, seems like a worthwhile move.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Maroon would be fine I guess. They really need to go big on Tavares/Carlson and potentially JVR. Time to use that cap space.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
now gimme a Washington win for that Ghost/Werenski/Jones team US D.

I don't think Matthews will go but Toronto can lose too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I forgot about Makar. How was his season?

He was pretty solid for a bad UMass team. He's going back for his Sophomore year then pro most likely.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Spurgeon at 5.2 is fine, slight overpayment at best and the deal ends at 30.

Eriksson Ek and Kaprizov are good picks too and should be cornerstone players. He's probably a guy that Seattle should look at.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 23, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also Fletcher getting fired and Snow keeping his job is loving hilarious

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kinkaid and Butcher got added to the US WC team.

quote:

Other players who said they’d like to play but haven’t received an invite yet are Cory Schneider and Kyle Palmieri.

weird

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 24, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

but the dirty traitor turned down the Worlds invite.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't get why the US hasn't announced the rest of their WC team because they have an exhibition game in like four days.

But apparently Matthews isn't going and Alec Martinez probably is.

It's also super weird to me that they didn't ask Palmieri despite him saying he wants to go :confused:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils miss the playoffs next year

OR

They get Tavares who gets Hall into the HoF

only two timelines atm

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's weird seeing all the Devils fans on every website but this one clamoring for Santini even though he sucks rear end

Also in your lineup I'd have Bratt on the second line and Zacha on the moon

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He was good towards the end of the season then just absolutely dreadful in the playoffs but a lot of guys were

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I bet they'd move Hanifin or Faulk if they got him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

Hanifin for Nylander. Who says no?

Hmmm I don't think the Devils would move Hanifin for Nylander after they get him for Zacha but they'd have to consider it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Aho/Svechnikov will be a pretty sick 1-2 punch on RW.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Buffalo is routinely one of the NHL's biggest local American markets, they're like a Canadian team (not Ottawa!) when it comes to hockey. Even with the team being dreadful they still get huge numbers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

I feel bad for Rasmus Dahlin

He doesn't have to live in Edmonton.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/990281988648067072/photo/1

honestly that's a pretty good roster for a US WC team. The defense is interesting but it's fun to see Pionk and Butcher there. Gibbons/White/Coleman could be a fun checking line and I expect Kinkaid will start unless Darling somehow becomes good again.

meanwhile there are Canadians complaining about this:

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/990189194990538753

Actually this Swedish teams seems pretty good if their young forwards can make an impact:

Anders Nilsson, Vancouver Canucks
Magnus Hellberg, Kunlun
Filip Gustavsson, Ottawa

Erik Gustafsson, Chicago Blackhawks
Adam Larsson, Edmonton Oilers
Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes
John Klingberg, Dallas Stars
Lawrence Pilut, HV71
Mikael Wikstrand, Färjestad
Adam Almqvist, Frölunda

Rikard Rakell, Anaheim Ducks
Mattias Janmark, Dallas Stars
Adrian Kempe, Los Angeles Kings
Gustav Nyquist, Detroit Red Wings
Mika Zibanejad, New York Rangers
Mikael Backlund, Calgary Flames
Jacob de la Rose, Montreal Canadiens
Johan Larsson, Buffalo Sabres
Magnus Pääjärvi, Ottawa Senators
Elias Pettersson, Växjö
Lias Andersson, New York Rangers
John Norman, Jokerit
Dennis Everberg, Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk
Carl Klingberg, Zug

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 30, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

butcher should get top-4 minutes next season imo

I think he probably will. Like the only good/decent LHD on UFA is de Haan.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's too bad Werenski is hurt and that Ghost/Jones didn't want to go.

Then all of Carolina's American D (Hanifin/Faulk/Slavin), you'd think one of them would go.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also holy poo poo I had no idea Don Waddell was Carolina's interim GM, glorious.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
so the US beat Canada in the first WC game 5-4 in a shootout

Atkinson had two nasty shootout goals

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Sounds likely that Yakupov will head back to the KHL thus unseating Stefan as the worst first overall pick ever. I love the Oilers.

At least's Yak's defining moment will be an exuberant celebration rather than THAT DOES NOT BELONG IN THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

and you know that was against the Oilers too, maybe there was some evil curse passed on to Edmonton, that was hopefully then transferred to the Kings

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Schneider is so done:

quote:

Last Tuesday, Cory Schneider underwent successful surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left hip. The procedure was performed by Dr. Bryan Kelly at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. Schneider's recovery time is approximately five months and Dr. Kelly expects him to make a full recovery. Further updates regarding his progress will be provided later in the summer as available.

also Hall is a beast

quote:

On Friday, April 30, Taylor Hall underwent successful surgery to repair torn ligaments in his left hand. The procedure was performed by Dr. Robert Hotchkiss at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. Hall suffered the initial injury in late December, but was able to play with it under the care and management of New Jersey's medical staff. It was not the injury that kept him out of the All-Star Game in January. He will be ready for training camp in September.

annnd this is why Maroon looked even slower than usual

quote:

On Wednesday, Patrick Maroon underwent successful surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back. The procedure was performed by Dr. Andrew Sama at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. He will be able to resume off-season training and preparation programs before the start of training camp.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chayka created and ran an analytics company as a front for eyeballing players and making up numbers to impress NHL management teams

Chayka is SAS except we've paid for this privilege

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Dadonov, Tim Thomas, Burrows, Giordano, Joel Ward, Bellemare, John Madden, Moulson, Gourde, Franzen, Andy Greene

there are certainly more busts (as there are when you draft), but it's worth taking a shot on dudes sometimes!

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 18, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bellemare is not an NHL caliber hockeyman

He definitely has been this year. Actually, he's been an above average one.

and agreed that he'd be better off in the AHL but if they like him they like him I guess /shrugs -- I'd be taking as many extra 6th round shots as possible if I were a NHL GM.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

and the 2000 devils still stand alone :devil:

gently caress em john, gently caress all of em

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

whatis posted:

I talked about Buffalo bringing in a lot of Swedes this off season, and then this rumor pops up.

https://twitter.com/aalexnil/status/999262030627524608

This would be an interesting move. Bring in the Swedish guy as a Housley assistant to 1) assist in acclimating all of the new Swedish players, and 2) put a little bit of internal pressure on Housley to not be a bad coach

I don't know really anything about this guy though

quote:

He is best described as a hybrid.

Grönborg is actually a dual Swedish-American citizen after playing college hockey at St. Cloud State in Minnesota and spending the first 10 years of his coaching career in places like Wisconsin, Montana and Texas. He married a woman from Salt Lake City and holds a master’s degree in management and leadership.

In fact, he might never have returned home in the first place had he been successful in landing the Spokane Chiefs’ head coaching job in 2005—finishing as a runner-up to Bill Peters after working one season as an assistant coach with the WHL team.

It was shortly after that when the Swedish federation came calling. A big part of Grönborg’s appeal to them was that he had learned a different style of the sport while working in the U.S., and they were interested in exploring different methods of running a bench.

“When it comes to North American coaching, generally speaking, a coach comes to coach vs. just being a trainer, as we call it in Sweden [coach is translated as tränare in Swedish]. Go out and train the team,” said Grönborg. “Here it’s actually a coach and kind of plan how we utilize the players and give them job descriptions and whatnot. There’s different tweaks in the game situations instead of just kind of rotating four lines, which was very common back in Sweden.

“You’d rotate four lines until there was 10 minutes left and then go down to three lines and then you go down to two lines the last two minutes. …In Sweden, it was very common to have four very even lines.”

Grönborg instead prefers to carve out specific roles and assign tasks. He is keen on communication so that expectations are clear and believes that the next generation of players will require more feedback than ever before because of the world in which they were raised.

“There’s so many X’s and O’s out there—I think most coaches coaching at that level, they know their X’s and O’s—but how do you get the players to grow in your environment?” he said. “Because that’s the biggest key for me. How do you communicate with those players? How did you get them to excel and become better and buy into the system? That’s what I’m intrigued about, is how you develop the players.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rikard-gronborg-nhls-first-european-head-coach-since-2001/

I think it'd be weird to bring him in as an assistant -- it would be like the Yeo/Hitch situation with everyone just waiting for Housley to get fired.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

"I don't want to give all my cards away, but he is certainly at the top of our list," Waddell told Raleigh's ABC 11 News. "There's some other really good players there, so we got to make sure we know them all in case, you never know what might happen or what might be offered to us. If I was going to the draft floor tonight to make the pick, I'd be picking Andrei."

It is expected the Buffalo Sabres will select Swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin with the No. 1 pick in the draft, which will be at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 22-23. The Montreal Canadiens hold the No. 3 pick.

Svechnikov (6-foot-2, 188 pounds), No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's list of the top North American skaters eligible for the draft, was named the Canadian Hockey League Top Prospect of the Year. In his first season with Barrie of the Ontario Hockey League, he led rookies with 72 points (40 goals, 32 assists) in 44 regular-season games. He missed 17 games after injuring his hand Oct. 14 and had 58 points (30 goals, 28 assists) in 34 games after returning.

Dundon said Svechnikov would be Carolina's choice after the two had dinner Tuesday at a Raleigh sushi restaurant.

"If we pick second, it's not even close," he told The News & Observer.

I don't want to give all my cards away but here all my cards. Classic Waddell.

Although maybe he's trying to drive up an offer to trade down which would be crazy given their situation. They absolutely need Svechnikov. Zadina would be a good get too but they can't afford to risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
let's have some fuckin trades

quote:

NHL Trade Big Board: 20 players who could be on the move this summer by Craig Custance

1. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators – Ottawa nearly dealt Karlsson at the trade deadline, with the Vegas Golden Knights pivoting to a Tomas Tatar deal in the final minutes after falling short of a major blockbuster that was expected to land them Karlsson. There will be no less interest in him during the offseason. There are two schools of thought here: Karlsson had more value at the trade deadline because teams could get a playoff run out of him or he maintains that value now because there will be more teams in the mix. All it takes is one team making a massive offer to get this thing done.

The wild card could be if Karlsson believes that there will be a new ownership group in the picture, especially if it involves Daniel Alfredsson. But at his recent state of the union, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman shot down a possible Senators sale.

“I can tell you for sure that the franchise is not for sale,” Bettman said. “Eugene Melnyk is committed to the Senators and is passionate about them.”

Even with Bettman’s denial, there are those around the league who question whether or not Melnyk can afford to keep it going. It paints a bleak picture for Karlsson’s relationship with the Senators.

“I’d be shocked if he re-signs with them,” said one NHL source. “What’s the hope? I would think he gets traded at the draft. His value isn’t going up.”

2. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes – There is still hope and even a little optimism in the Coyotes front office that Ekman-Larsson is going to sign an extension. According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Ekman-Larsson is sitting on an eight-year offer from the Coyotes worth an average of $8.25 million per season. The question becomes how long do the Coyotes wait for the offer to be accepted? According to an NHL source, the Coyotes are eager for an answer in order to formulate a plan if it doesn’t happen.

“They can’t let him walk for nothing,” said a Western Conference executive. Still, of the three prominent 2019 UFA defensemen, this executive saw Karlsson as the more likely trade candidate.

“I think Drew Doughty stays, Ekman-Larsson might stay and Erik Karlsson is gone,” he said.

3. Phil Kessel, Pittsburgh Penguins – There’s not a better breakdown of where things stand with Kessel and the Penguins than what Josh Yohe already wrote. Read it if you haven’t. This is how it goes with Kessel. He’s going to produce. Teammates are going to love him. He’s going to drive his coach crazy.

There’s certainly debate as to whether the Penguins will actually trade Kessel. One source suggested that a Kessel trade would give a strong indication as to the power Mike Sullivan wields in the organization. Another said it would just be Jim Rutherford being Jim Rutherford.

“Jim is not going to sit around and bring the same team back,” said one source who knows him well.

He suggested that a Kessel trade might even allow the Penguins to take a serious run at John Tavares. I know, the Penguins are pretty set at center. That’s the beauty of having a gunslinger and dealmaker like Rutherford as the GM. You can’t count anything out.

4. Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens – There’s been talk of a possible extension in Montreal lately but one source said that there has been nothing substantial done on that front. The more likely scenario is still a trade. But there’s pressure on Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin to get a big return, so teams making offers will have to make an offer for the 35-goal scoring Pacioretty and not the 17-goal scoring Pacioretty, or else it’s not getting done.

“He’s not going to be traded for a second-round pick,” said one NHL source. “If he does get traded, it’s a big one for Bergevin.”

5-7. Jeff Skinner, Noah Hanifin and Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes

Someone is going to get moved in Carolina. Maybe two players. It could be one of these three. Another source was asked who he thought would go and he mentioned Elias Lindholm and Victor Rask. The only consensus out there is that Carolina is doing SOMETHING. New owner Tom Dundon won’t have it any other way.

“I’d be surprised if (the Hurricanes) don’t make at least a couple deals before the draft,” said an Eastern Conference executive.

The perception is that Ron Francis was moved out because of inaction. If that’s the case, the new management group has very clear marching orders heading into the draft. There’s going to be some action, it’s only a matter of who gets moved out.

8. Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo Sabres – The Sabres are getting calls on O’Reilly and that’s nothing new. His frustration after another losing season certainly caught the attention of executives outside of Buffalo.

“He sounded defeated,” said a Western Conference executive. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s moved.”

He’s going to generate interest. He has Hockey Canada pedigree. Players like playing with him. He’s a strong two-way centerman.

The Sabres certainly don’t want to rush Casey Mittelstadt, so keeping O’Reilly around gives protection to the young centers in the lineup and pushes them down the depth chart a bit. That means it’s not automatic that he’s moved.

“It would have to be the right deal,” said one source.

For some reason I'm thinking about Carolina these days -- I wonder if ROR could move for Faulk? ROR would fit well with Svechnikov and Faulk would be a pretty sweet righty for Risto or Dahlin although maybe they want to keep ROR around to try and create a second line with Mittelstadt.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 8, 2018

• Locked thread