Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I’m not sure either, I swear I read a tweet from someone saying the Rangers wanted to hire a coach that would grow with the team so they presumably aren’t aiming to just jump right back into contention next year and are willing to gamble a bit on a young coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think AV was fine with developing players with the Rangers, but that was with a lot of vets and a different team goal. He is notoriously lax as a locker room leader and prefers his players to police themselves and I think that’s a bad idea on a young rebuilding team that’s nothing like the vet teams he’s developed players with in the past

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don’t think Kovy signs with the Rangers without the knowledge the team could be Bad.

Or the Rangers will sign him and JT and go all in

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

i mean, it's still the rangers

Erik Karlsson come on down

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Not really seeing it, Ruff doesn't exactly seem to be a rebuild coach either. Seems more like they might talk to him about whether he wants to stay as an assistant or something, but who knows!

In a shocking twist, Kovalchuk is joining the Rangers not as a player but as their new head coach

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh and Gorton said they're looking for a "fresh" coach and Lindsay Ruff is anything but fresh.

Other than that, says they're not gonna hire someone who has never coached at any level before which rules out Mark Messier thank god

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

the sabres seem to me like a model of how not to do a rebuild

Sabres and Edmonton

Of course the Rangers will never get a 1OA pick so it's not a fair comparison

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the Canes problem is their goaltending sucks and they have nearly no one who's skilled enough offensively to consistently put the puck in the net.

They're a top team in the league except when it comes to goaltending and shooting percentage.

Toughness isn't the issue you dumb poo poo heads

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

The thing is, they've drafted pretty decently. Outside of their inability to find a starting goalie and a true star they have a solid supporting cast. Since 2010 they've drafted: Skinner, Faulk, Rask, Lindholm, Hanifin, Slavin, Aho. That's without drafting in in the top 4. Their biggest miss was in 2014. Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers hurts.

I'm 50/50 on Bean and Gauthier but Necas is going to be a good pick. I dunno, there's certainly not any major mismanagement there beyond not going harder after a goalie. Darling was a good gamble but it didn't work out. Nedeljkovic looked like a good pick but he's regressed if anything.

I feel like part of their problem though is that guys like Rask and Lindholm don't really put up the numbers they need and while are good middle six guys, they're not enough to provide the offense they need. We'll see how Aho turns out, but they need more real offensive threats. They're one of the best teams in the league at generating high danger area chances but have a crap shooting percentage.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

I just don't see what they're going to get for those guys that moves them further along. Better to try Shero type deals and see if you can find a Palmieri than give up young proven commodities.

Oh I agree, I'm not saying they should be moved, I'm just saying that so far these guys haven't been good enough offensively to provide what the team needs.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

what are "playoffs"?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

man that is the lowest effort placating bullshit

"if we just thought more positively we could have won some games"

-- some dude making so much more money than me that I might as well kill myself

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm insanely happy we have Jeff Gorton and not the morons a lot of you have to deal with.

E:

Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/ColinASteph/status/983446550763499520

Dude still has to prove he can rebuild this team and make them a contender again but he says the right things and seems to have the right ideas and attitude (though he emphasizes "character" a bit more than i'd like due to it usually being code for "intangibles and sucking at other things like hockey skills")

e; what the hell is messier even doing these days. Last I remember is him sniffing around when they hired AV, and he spent a short time as a kind of managerial assistant to Sather to get his feet wet on that side of things, but then he disappeared except maybe to show up and cry at some jersey retiring ceremonies

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

It's pretty surprising how bad the Islanders have been, considering Snow has been very good at drafting and trading. They drafted four NHL regulars in each of 2008 and 2009, another two in 2010, and have consistently found talent in the first round. The only bust so far was Griffin Reinhart*, who was flipped for the pick that took Barzal. (*Dal Colle might be a bust, too, I'm not sure.)

Some of these trades are just incredible, though. Snow managed to get a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic after the worst year of his career, and this year definitely wasn't a bounce back year. Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd, at the draft, when the other team knew Barzal was up for grabs. Strome for Eberle. A backup goalie and other spare parts for Nick Leddy. A 3rd in return for Andrey Pedan, an AHL punchman. He hasn't blown a trade since the Vanek debacle.

*takes a look at the Islanders coaching*

ahh...i might have found the issue

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

all my years of fandom will finally be worth it if only the rangers can win the draft lottery

Then trade for Erik Karlsson and only give up peanuts

Dahlin-Karlsson :monocle:

Or

Skjei-Karlsson
Dahlin-Shattenkirk

whatever, who would even care

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

just hand me the cup now

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

That Ottawa situation sounds toxic.

Also lol that Ottawa was 1 goal away from making the SCF last season.

And people were super super sure that Ottawa was a power on the rise and would be contending this year...

I mean I didn't pay attention to them that much but was it just "not actually as talented as people thought" or injuries or just crappy coaching and a dumb cheap owner

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

you'd think a NHL star wouldn't have much trouble getting laid though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wow, the Rangers are NOT loving around with this rebuild:

:drat:

Also a rumor the Rangers are going to sign someone named Michael Lindqvist

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Peters is a weird case because it seems like he runs a decent enough possession system but at some point you have to translate that possession into goals.

He's never had the talent

I believe they also create a high number of high danger area chances, but they honestly just do not have the talent up front to score enough.

I'd probably be happy with him on the Rangers as he worked with a young team in Carolina and probably got the most out of them with what he had to work with, but yeah sounds like Calgary's all up in that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

apparently in an interview with a russian site, buchnevich said something along the lines that AV didn't talk to the players much and players played scared because a screw up could get you demoted to the 4th line

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

same old cbus

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yah if Toronto feels the need to move on from Matthews I GUESS the Rangers could part with someone like Marc Staal in return. Gotta help shore up that Leafs defense and Staal is just the right good old Canadian boy to provide some leadership and stay at home defense

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aphrodite posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest maybe the consensus strongest line in the NHL is a bit better than Matthews' line, and Babcock was trying to manage around this somehow.

"hey I know what is a good idea let's make sure our best line gets less icetime because I'm trying to match up my lovely checking line against the other teams top line"

- some nhl guy who makes more money than I'll ever dream of

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sports make savages of us all

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like Schenn was picked around that time when the NHL hadn't transitioned away from the slower "stay at home" guys and he was seen as someone who was going to anchor (in a good way) the blueline while possibly providing some untapped offense. Then we all learned that "hey if you can't skate and your puck skills are mediocre then you'll probably suck"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Speaking of the Greyhounds, is Timothy Gettinger any good? Rangers 5th round pick from 2016. His scoring has steadily increased, but he's a 6'6" 20-year-old on a top junior team, so I don't know what level of pros that will translate to.

What I’ve heard is that he’s pretty good, but not someone you expect to easily make the jump and probably tops out as a 3rd liner if he does

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lou is partly senile but occasionally still has his old flashes of brilliance.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

maybe he's one of those weird smelly guys who spend an hour at the gym every day just doing the bench press and have like a 2 inch range of motion

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lias Andersson has been suspended the first 4 games of the next WJC for throwing his medal into the crowd (sounds like other players and coaches were also suspended)

Which is a big fat who gives a gently caress since he'll probably be playing in the NHL

e: I don't even think Andersson is eligible to play next season at the WJC.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 2, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Duckman2008 posted:

I just looked it up and that’s amazing.

“When asked if he was happy he got his silver medal back Andersson responded ‘no.’”

https://twitter.com/RickCarpiniello/status/991674326029078528

Which is all pretty funny since people were like "how dare you disrespect the medal! You'll always look back on this and think what a great experience it was and you'll regret throwing your medal away and not taking this seriously!" and it's like, dude just came in runner up a bunch of times in a row and already has a silver, the whole Swedish team was upset that they'd kept coming up short. Another silver medal is no big thing for them, they wanted gold.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Andersson isn't a "sexy" pick, he doesn't wow with his skills a bunch, but he's a drat smart player on the ice and good at being in the right places and facilitating things around the ice. One thing I'd like him to do at the higher level is learn how to get into position to use his shot more. He has a nice shot, getting open to use it could help his point totals a lot

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Looks like Dallas is hiring Jim Montgomery as the new HC.

He was highly regarded but always seems a bit tough to bring in a rookie NHL coach with a team that wants to compete. Hopefully they'll give him time to settle in

Would have been a good fit for the Rangers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

RIP Werenski's career

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers sign some guy named Ville Meskanen

22 years old, righty shot, 24-20-44 in 48 games in Liiga this past season.

He and Lindqvist are probably Hartford bound but taking a chance on some young guys who have done well in other leagues isn't a bad idea. See if any of them can step up to the NHL level

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

trust me, you dont want Quinn as your coach

I don't really know a lot about him but yeah I've heard complaints about him getting out game planned and people feeling he hasn't performed as well as one would think with the talent he has had

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Are they talking to Keefe?

He's still coaching in the AHL playoffs so probably not, though maybe they've at least let it be known they're interested (if they are)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

so the US beat Canada in the first WC game 5-4 in a shootout

Atkinson had two nasty shootout goals

He was the only one that tried making a move on Kemper, everyone else tried a shot. After seeing how hard Kemper bit on those fakes you'd think more people would have tried a move

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Shoulder injuries can just be tough. Hopefully for him it's not something that will affect him going forward, but it's arguable that a couple of separated shoulders limited McDonagh's career. It could be easier to injure that shoulder in the future and as a defenseman he'll have to take his share of hits when retrieving pucks, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He's gonna be waiting a long time if he doesn't want to sign a 2 year ELC

Unless they do away with ELC's in the next lockout but owners like those things so they probably won't

• Locked thread