Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Where does Pavel Buchnevich rank among Rangers skaters in even strength time on ice? 26th (12:17) *
Among forwards? 14th
Rank in total time on ice? 21st (15:01)
Points? 4th (43)

*Matt Beleskey played more in the one game he played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The 17-18 Rangers gave up 40 shots on goal twenty-four times this year, a feat also accomplished by the 05-06 Capitals. The only teams to face 40+ in more games were the 92-93 Sharks, who did so 27 times, and the 93-94 Kings, who did so 28 times. That Sharks team lost 71 games in the era of ties, but featured some good hockey names like Dave Snuggerud, Hubie McDonough, and Claudio Scremin. The Kings team only won 27 games under head coach Barry Melrose, despite Wayne Gretzky leading the league in scoring with 130 points, and another three Hall of Famers right behind him on their scoring list.

This year's Islanders tied that Kings team for most games facing 50 shots, at six.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I think it would be great if the Rangers signed a bunch of guys to 1-2 year contacts and traded them at the deadline.

The ideal would be re-signing Nash and Grabner to one year deals and trading them again at the deadline.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

a false posted:

i mean i like the idea in theory but i also want the team to be really really bad

They have enough talent to make tanking hard. They still have a lot more they could sell off, but there's no rush on selling all of the forwards in their mid 20s. A few of them definitely get traded in the next two years, but that's not about selling high when another team has the need, not selling because dropping a spot or two is a priority.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

e; what the hell is messier even doing these days. Last I remember is him sniffing around when they hired AV, and he spent a short time as a kind of managerial assistant to Sather to get his feet wet on that side of things, but then he disappeared except maybe to show up and cry at some jersey retiring ceremonies

He's still working on turning the Kingsbridge Armory into a rink complex. His stint in the Rangers front office was basically a trial period to see if he had management potential, which he apparently didn't.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's pretty surprising how bad the Islanders have been, considering Snow has been very good at drafting and trading. They drafted four NHL regulars in each of 2008 and 2009, another two in 2010, and have consistently found talent in the first round. The only bust so far was Griffin Reinhart*, who was flipped for the pick that took Barzal. (*Dal Colle might be a bust, too, I'm not sure.)

Some of these trades are just incredible, though. Snow managed to get a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic after the worst year of his career, and this year definitely wasn't a bounce back year. Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd, at the draft, when the other team knew Barzal was up for grabs. Strome for Eberle. A backup goalie and other spare parts for Nick Leddy. A 3rd in return for Andrey Pedan, an AHL punchman. He hasn't blown a trade since the Vanek debacle.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Atlantic published a great article about the Danbury Trashers, who were the most minor league hockey team in minor league hockey.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/05/the-mobster-who-bought-his-teenage-son-a-hockey-team/556853/

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Maroon is worth that right now, but he turns 30 in two days. Maybe the league has learned from Matt Beleskey, but a 4-5 year contract would be a bad idea. It's probably a risk to sign him for more than two years.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

In 2017, he traded a 1st+2nd for Hanzal, and pulled a Dale Tallon Special when they gave Vegas both Tuch (37p) and Haula (29g 55p).

They're all-in on old guys like Koivu, Staal, Parise, and Suter. They haven't had a good draft since 2010. They had no 1st in '13, their '14 1st (Tuch) was traded for a conditional 3rd and they didn't have a 2nd that year. They only had two picks before the 7th round in 2016, and their first pick in 2017 was 85th overall. That's not looking good for a team who easily got bounced in the first round for three years in a row.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Trivia: Four players scored their 500th goal against an empty net. Who are they?

The first scored against the Bruins net in January 1986
The second scored against the Canucks net in November 1986
The third scored against the Bruins net in October 1992
The fourth scored against the Blue Jackets net in April 2008

Hints: The first was the fastest player to 500 at the time and it isn't Gretzky.
The second and third played together for both of these goals, but the goals were scored for different teams.
The fourth has a son in the NHL right now - the only 500 goal scorer who this applies to.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Bossy, Gretzky, Kurri, and Tkachuk are correct.

The only goalie to have multiple #500s scored against them is Patrick Roy, who allowed Yzerman, Shanahan, and Mullen's 500ths.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DJExile posted:

He lead the team with 112 points and was 27 ahead of the next guy. He's the biggest reason for that goal differential.

E: I mean yeah the Soo Greyhounds are a hell of a team but he's easily the best player on it.

Speaking of the Greyhounds, is Timothy Gettinger any good? Rangers 5th round pick from 2016. His scoring has steadily increased, but he's a 6'6" 20-year-old on a top junior team, so I don't know what level of pros that will translate to.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

That's not much more than Ondrej Pavelec got last year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I look forward to him hurling the Prince of Wales trophy into the fifth row of T-Mobile Arena in 2023

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Teams are looking beyond big numbers and value more complete, two-way players. Not the old/bad way of calling a guy who hits/fights/is Canadian a "complete" player. A guy can score 40 goals in juniors by individually dominating some lesser players. Point totals can be deceptive - you can get a better idea if you separate ES/PP/SH, because 40 points at even strength is a lot different than 20 each PP and ES.

In a pro league, they're looking at how a guy plays their systems. Is he good at positioning on the PK, thus is able to pressure with his stick instead of blocking shots? Can he protect the puck with his positioning and skating, peeling away from and shrugging guys off? Andersson is great at the latter, he has a really low stance and good lateral movement.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

If a guy is playing in the SHL in his draft year it means they're already deemed to be well ahead of your peers. It's a pro league like any other, so most younger guys play a few years in the U20 leagues to develop. It's rare for a 17 year old to get more than a handful of games at the highest level, playing the whole season is a very good sign that the player has real potential at the NHL level. A player who put up garish numbers in the highest level in the SHL in their draft eligible season would be a slam dunk generational talent. Even Dahlin who's as good a player as you can reasonably expect from a 1st overall pick had 20pts in 41 games. For comparison's sake, Erik Karlsson had 1pt in 7 games at the same age.

So yeah, Andersson putting up 19pts in 42 games was more than satisfactory for a top-10 pick. Nick Backstrom only had 26 in 46 a decade ago. Andersson put up a season roughly equivalent to an 80-90pt one in the OHL. Given that he likes to drive the net, is a high energy skater and pretty strong he was a perfectly cromulent pick and not one I'd consider a reach at all.

Lidstrom put up two points in 20 games in the SEL in his draft year. That's a great reminder that some scouts are really good at reading the player inside a game.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Old school scouting depends on the scout, of course. I assume the scouts have all the relevant stats before they even see a game, and their job is to see if what leads to that will translate to a higher level. I forget who, but I recently read a report on a junior player who basically put up the same boxcars, but his development was praised because he went from running circles around others to playing within the team's system. Of course, for every good scout who watches a guy's position on structured breakouts and special teams, there's another who sees a guy get into a scrum and writes down "good team guy!"

I wonder how extensive the stats from other leagues are. As a fan I haven't seen much, but I figure the top leagues probably have more than be picked out of a box score.

Good articles, too. CanucksArmy is great.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

True, I guess I see the statistical stuff as a way to narrow a scout's focus. Focusing on different things than scouts have classically been known for is useful, but I think just creates a new set of problems. What is a "good system guy?" Does Ovi play well in a system? He's pretty selfish on the ice. How do you know what will translate to a higher level just by watching a handful of games? Hunter Shinkaruk looked great every time I saw him play, but he's a nothing player now. How important is defensive play? How can you compare it to offensive players effectively? What does ES/PP points mean in the grand scheme of things? How much are those affected by teammates?

I'm not sure I can articulate answers, but I feel like the CA articles on Andersson and Chytil touch on most of these questions. Chytil scored four goals and four assists in a season, but he'll probably score more in the NHL than Michael Rasmussen, who scored 32 goals in the WHL - but only 12 goals and seven assists at even strength. I guess the stats could also find the same thing.

ThinkTank posted:

I think the CA guys (and many others) are really onto something with their SEAL program and NHL teams should embrace it not consider it an oddity. Use as robust a comparative tool as you can to filter prospects and find real world matches and likelihood of success, and then assign the scouts to watch them closely and get a rounder view of their game. Scouts can settle ties, but for the most part the numbers/cohorts should do the bulk of the heavy lifting. I don't guy why teams don't at least try it that way either. A couple kids fresh off a masters in statistical analysis and programming could build a pretty comprehensive tool in a summer, and would cost next to nothing compared to classic methods. Scouts are all generally grown family men with commensurate salary expectations, and that's before all the extensive travel costs they'll rack up driving around Saskatchewan or Yekaterinburg.

A first round draft pick is a multi-million dollar investment, I don't see why there is such a vitriolic reaction by some people when it's suggested that big data be used to dive into them a bit more before that capital outlay. No one buys stocks because some guy has a gut feeling after "watching the markets closely" anymore, why should a draft pick be any different? Blown draft picks are hugely expensive and damaging to reputations, why not structure your scouting department around the objectivity of stat tracking to ensure that happens as infrequently as possible?

Two teams have done this somewhat publicly - Florida and Arizona. I have no idea what Chayka is doing in Arizona but they've been terrible for two years and he employs Zac Rinaldo, who is total poo poo by all analytics I know.

Florida's numbers guys made an incredible move by trading Gudbranson for McCann and picks, but they also seemed to have little idea how to run a hockey team. They canned Gallant during a run of injuries and bad luck - which amateur stats folks easily identified - then had a terrible finish to the season. Their assessment in terms of dollars led to some catastrophic mistakes in moving salaries and cap hits. They changed plans several times within about a year and basically brought the old guy back because they failed and panicked because they couldn't seem to grasp hockey. They gifted Vegas with Marchessault and Smith, rather than expose Petrovic or Pysyk, which I don't think anyone thought was a good idea.

I'm not sure if they were focused on hockey or money, but either way they sucked pretty badly and I don't think they ever had a grip on how to actually implement these ideas.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Rangers sign some guy named Ville Meskanen

22 years old, righty shot, 24-20-44 in 48 games in Liiga this past season.

He and Lindqvist are probably Hartford bound but taking a chance on some young guys who have done well in other leagues isn't a bad idea. See if any of them can step up to the NHL level

It' good to have some depth in prospects. It'll be a two-year ELC, so presumably he gets a shot in training camp each year, and another each year assuming the Rangers sell at the deadline for another two years.

Worst case, the signing bonus and AHL salary are still comparable to a Liiga salary.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Glambags posted:

There's no actual evidence it'll be Keefe and the rangers are generally tight lipped about this sort of thing, I'm basing my opinion on the fact that it's the rangers and Keefe is as close to a marquee name for a coach as there is right now

The rangers will also sign kovalchuk

Seems like an ideal situation for him. A rebuilding team gives him a great opportunity and no unrealistic expectations to start. He's not displacing Babcock, the team has a lot of resources, and they can obviously pay him fairly.

It might also make sense for Lindy Ruff to stay on with him. A rookie NHL coach can use the support of one of the leagues most experienced head coaches.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nonis seems to have been good at trading. Highlights include:
-Cody Franson for a 1st
-Daniel Winnik (rental) for a 2nd+4th+player
-31-year-old post-punch Todd Bertuzzi for Luongo, then moving Cloutier for a 2nd+3rd.
-#91 for #71

http://nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Dave_Nonis/76

http://nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Dave_Nonis/188

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Good news for RAS: I was at tonight's Greyhounds - Bulldogs (OHL) game and Tim Gettinger looks really solid. Impressed me at least, enough to see if he was drafted.

Cool, I just asked about him the other day. Does his skating and lateral movement look like it's fast enough to translate to the NHL?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Brind'Amour has been their assistant coach since 2011, but I don't know how good a credential that is when they haven't made the playoffs since 2009.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I don't think trading Zbad is in the plans right now. One thing that works is the power play and his RH shot and 14 PPG are hard to replace.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Chayka has definitely made a lot of the right moves, but has still iced two 70-point teams. I don't think anyone could look at the 2015-16 Coyotes and say the team was two years away from success, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

A brief history of John Chayka, General Manager.

Named GM May 2016.

Traded a 5th for the rights to Alex Goligoski and signed him to a 5x5.475m deal. He's their #2 defenseman and handles big minutes well. Long history of good Corsi and stuff, had a dip this year.

At the 2016 draft, traded #20 and #53 plus Joe Vitale for #16 and Datsyuk's contract. Drafted Clayton Keller, who led the team with 65 points in his draft+2 year, and Jacob Chychrun, who became a full-time NHL defenseman in his draft+1 year. Having two players of that caliber to show immediately is impressive. He got the best guys on the board, by far, though two other good players (Sergachev and McAvoy) were on the board at #7.

Traded #37 (Libor Hajek) for Anthony DeAngelo, who I really hope are both good hockey players because they're both Rangers now.

Traded a 2017 3rd and 2nd (conditional) for Lawson Crouse and Dave Bolland's cap hit. I don't know what to think of this because Crouse is only 20 and seems to be of the Tom Wilson mold. Crouse wasn't great in the NHL two years ago, but he produced well in the AHL this year.

Traded Michael Stone, on an expiring contract, for a 3rd and 5th. Fair return, good move to make

Traded Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, and a 4th for a 1st, 2nd, and conditional 4th that could've become a 2nd if the Wild didn't suck. That's a hell of a return, it gives me complete faith in Chayka's ability to sell to rebuild when needed.

Dumped Mike Smith's contract for next to nothing. Smith was good this year, but is 36 and has two years left. This was a prelude to the next move:

Traded #7 and Anthony DeAngelo for Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta. Stepan is a #1 center and an analytics darling. He put up 56 points and filled that role for them. Raanta is a proven goalie at the right age for a rebuilding franchise. He put up a .930 this year and carried the team when healthy.

Traded Laurent Dauphin (a prospect who didn't look good after this trade) and Connor Murphy (a good young defenseman who fits on the Hawks 3rd pair) for Niklas Hjalmarrson, a respected veteran defender who has reached a higher upside (2nd pair) but isn't as good at Corsi-ing.

Traded Jamie McGinn (a good third liner) for Jason Demers, who has good fancy stats and fills a spot on the 2nd pair quite comfortably.

Traded Anthony Duclair for Richard Panik, which seems lopsided but I guess Panik has put up more points for the Yotes than Duke did for the Hawks. I'm not sure how to evaluate this one yet.

Signed Zac Rinaldo (gently caress you)

Made a lot of puzzling moves with bad backup goalies who couldn't crack .900 - this leads to...

Conclusions!

The Coyotes had bad luck this year with Raanta's injury, and like the Hurricanes, a team simply can't compete with sub-900 goaltending. They're still building, and it is too soon to expect what was such a barren organization to be built up.

Chayka has been very savvy with his trades. His mid-season attempts to fill a need have been like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, but his offseason trades have been very well calcuated. His deadline dealing deserves an A+ and should continue to help the organization build over the next few years. He turned rentals of Hanzal, White, and Stone into a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th (though he gave up a 5th) - that's impressive.

It's almost too soon to make a call on his drafting, but having Keller and Chychrun to show for a draft two years ago is impressive.

John Chayka seems to be a good GM with a really big hole in the desert to dig himself out of.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Any articles about "locker room problems" are bullshit all the time, unless they're from a reputable beat reporter, and even then they're usually BS.

That being said, they could ask the moon for him and get the Earth's moon, two lesser moons from other planets, and maybe even an ex-planet like Pluto.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Canadian teams expand the territory, and the NHL has a combination of parity and big playoffs which gives pretty much any team a shot the postseason.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Additionally, once a player waives their NTC it is forever invalidated unless their new team agrees to honour if. Technically the Habs can trade Shea Weber without any restrictions right now as he negated his NTC by accepting a trade to Montreal.

Shea Weber never had a NTC.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Interesting concept, because a top guy in the SHL is probably higher in the depth chart than at least half of the non-NHL players on two-way contracts.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The comparable for Persson should be any other D at #7-9 on a depth chart. If he plays well and/or the NHL club decides they really need him, then he ends up in the NHL. Is he better than Keegan Lowe or Ethan Bear?

ThinkTank posted:

He needs a year in the AHL. I'm not saying the Oilers should throw him to the wolves and give him first pairing NHL minutes, but at best he's treading water in Sweden. The odds are hugely that he'll likely not make it as an NHLer, why delay finding out a full year if that's the case? He's not a 20 year old that could conceivably improve markedly in a year. He's 24 and will likely stay static as a player. A one year deal is a good idea, if he busts it's zero risk. A one year deal where he stays in a playing situation he's already in tells you nothing new and forces you to do this all again in a year.

Like a lot of European players, he probably doesn't want to leave a successful career in his home country to earn $70k and ride buses from California to Manitoba to Ohio and Texas. It's perfectly reasonable to be work out a deal where you're either in the NHL or not on a 34 hour bus ride from Bakersfield to Cleveland. The AHL's western conference has brutal travel.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

What difference is there between 24 year old untested in North America Persson and 25 year old untested in North America Persson that would suddenly make him ready for the NHL?

I'm thinking it's more of a December panic move, when a Kris Russell-Eric Gryba pairing isn't working out.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DJExile posted:

Oh god I'd forgotten about that. That was brutal.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GD52EVSK9E&t=632s

10:32 if it doesn't cue up. oooooooof

Now we know who hired MAF's old goalie coach.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kane is a good player and seven years takes him through age 33, when the Sharks will have $15m invested in a 40-year-old Brent Burns and 38-year-old Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Welcome, Rangers South.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Apparently Ruff is still a potential assistant coach for the Rangers. He and Quinn have been trying to get in touch to discuss things and see if it's a fit

I figured they would want to keep Ruff around to have the experience while bringing in a new head coach. My understanding is that they wouldn't hold him back from a head coaching job, but other teams weren't really looking for a guy like him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

As the season wore on, Hayes decided to score goals more, and Shattenkirk began to use the word "ow" a lot more. AV looked at his comprehensive stats package and wondered why Lundqvist's save percentage wasn't .930 - all the high risk areas were as red as a stop light, meaning he must have been stopping those shots from the doorstep, right?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

This is interesting regarding Kessel:
https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/1000450382202593284

Guy had 92 points and is barely of positive value there.

I'm not actually sure how that's possible?

Unfortunately the original blog post that made GAR easier to understand has died so I don't know how it's calculated anymore, besides that the only 6 areas it values are even strength offense, even strength defense, powerplay offense, penalties taken, penalties drawn, and faceoffs.

Anyone else know why his numbers would be so bad?

I think it's because GAR is calculated using totals for the whole team while the player is on the ice, but doesn't factor in individual performance. Kessel's CF/FF rel scores are negative, but it is worth noting that he individually attempted the most shots on the team, by far, with 449.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Yeah but you're using obsolete metrics like goals, not future stats like GARCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Trading Kessel for *reasons* would be dumb, but the Penguins core is over 30 and . He's the kind of guy who could pry away a top pairing defender in his 20s. It'd take a guy like Faulk or OEL, a top six forward under 26, and another piece to make it happen, but there could be a good hockey trade for the Pens.

grack posted:

My takeaway is that the Penguins are attempting to sell high on Kessel - his production is great, but his underlying numbers are worrisome and he's getting to the age where a lot of players drop off offensively.

That's exactly what they need to do.

• Locked thread