Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Millennial Fair is, of course, full of people eating avocado toast and not buying houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

There's actually art for every weapon, armor, and item. I've been grabbing them from the Chrono Compendium. I'll post the more interesting designs since most of the regular items are just balls or potions.

Here's the Power Tabsule.

CT was way ahead of its time with the Tide Pod fad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Taban's animation for working the telepod is just pounding on it with a hammer, probably because the original draft of the game was just a bog standard medieval setting RPG, and he was supposed to be a blacksmith. The time travel stuff came later.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk4ALuB3BVc

These guys are pretty good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wonder if the Leene's descendant's explanation is a result of Nintendo censorship? Like they were going to show Leene giving birth to a boy and him getting married and then another child appears but Nintendo was worried this was too explicit and would irrevocably corrupt western youth and said no, and ended up with implied incest instead. (Or maybe Guardia's just a matriarchal society but it never comes up and also the males who marry into it are still kings that get to rule like kings)

I think it's far more likely that the devs just didn't put much thought into medieval succession laws and genetics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I still love that this is a thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can also completely skip the Yakra fight through some magical nonsense that I don't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3tv10oHvMc&t=967s

Obviously don't watch past this because spoilers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Apparently the logic for the bugged juror is this:

-If you talk to the girl before bringing her cat back, then guilty
-Else, if you bring the girl's cat back, then not guilty
-Else, 50% chance of not guilty
-Else, guilty

So if you completely ignore the girl, he flips a coin. Also the bug is pretty obvious - the first two lines should be switched.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

These guys are awesome and all of their covers are great.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Merry Deciever posted:

A bit late, but always fun~

I love that tattoo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trasson posted:

Safe until the end of time.

Well now I'm prayin' for the end of time to hurry up and arrive.

Funny thing about the shield guys: with pixel perfect placement, you can squeeze right between them and avoid fighting them completely. Another speedrunning trick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Soda would be better because that would make him a soda jerk.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of my favorite movies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think Marle forgot the minor detail that changing history is what got her temporarily erased from it, and also arguably what nearly got Crono executed. They had to unfuck the history that they had already hosed to save her from nonexistence.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

I would assume Ms. Crono is very proud of her large adult time travelling son

She's very supportive in everything he does, including filming the unboxing of his first katana.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lasers, as in amplified light, are dark damage? Sure, why not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

much better version

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Her two best techs are awesome, but her gun tends to be one of the weaker weapons in the game.

Why would you ever use her gun?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

Meanwhile I remember I was super annoyed with the game because Robo introduces himself as R66-Y and I tried to name him as such... but when you get to his friends they're all R-67Y and whatnot and it always had me thinking I got it wrong when it's really the game >_>

I've literally never noticed this.

Boy I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't know why but an ability called Yes indeed! is hilarious to me. It's like peak Woolsey.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hoonigan_neil posted:

It's right up there with "You'd best be frozen!"

Move, and you're dust!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

What? Liar! I was a perfect lady last night! But why does my tummy hurt so...?

Lucca is definitely that friend who goes completely berserk when she's drunk.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Has it been pointed out that dinosaurs are weak to fire?

It's because they're cold blooded :pseudo:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even if they were cold blooded, wouldn't that make them more susceptible to cold based magic, due to their need for external sources of warmth?

Yeah in a lot of other RPGs, lizard enemies are usually weak to ice, like in FF5.

I could have sworn they were weak to fire in this game, but I guess I must have dreamed that up or mixed it with some other game :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ozzie, Flea, and Slash are why I respect Ted Woolsey as a translator. In the Japanese version, they were named Vinegar, Mayonnaise, and Soy Sauce, respectively.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kw0134 posted:

It's 13,000 years ago from Crono/Marle/Lucca's perspective since it's 1000AD in their era! Negative numbers, how do they work. Also from Robo's perspective it'd be 14,300 years in his past.

Also I like that the Corridors of Time motif springs up all over the place prior to seeing Zeal, because it hint at their connection to the kingdom without giving away the plot (outside of the endings). The first time you play you're thinking it's a little odd to have it play out of the blue but then you get here and you're like "ahah".

Well that's what you get when you try reading time with a Greek sandwich :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thus Spoke Cronothustra

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

From what I've heard they've improved the graphics and UI so it no longer looks like some amateur RPGMaker bullshit, and fixed all the major bugs (like one that made certain save points inaccessible), so it looks like a decent port now at least. FWIW I'm definitely going to be getting it for my nephew for Christmas.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like how you just casually violate causality to get better armor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nervous posted:

Can you really put a price on goodlife altering jerky?

:jerky:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When I first played this game I never used Confuse or even looked at it in the menu because I assumed it was just a lovely status effect spell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

More like the converse, which is that any sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from technology. Magic is a real, actual thing that exists in this world, and Lucca is really good at it.

Undersea Palace is one of those tracks that spawned a million remixes. Here's one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6hxxOhkcV8

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: Lavos's mouth is actually a butterfly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And Lucca's moment with Crono is way better.

:hmmyes:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

My main beef with it is (Chrono Trigger/Cross spoilers) there's nothing in Trigger to really suggest any rift between Guardia and Porre other than maybe "mayor is greedy" which we fixed anyway, and in Cross they just say "Dalton convinces Porre to conquer Guardia" without really going into how he did it, which makes the whole thing jarring as hell and ends up feeling like a cheap and lazy way to eliminate Crono and Marle for little more than shock value. If they had bothered fleshing out that part more, to give some valid reasons why Porre might be resentful of Guardia or want more power or Dalton using his powers of burping and summoning Golems to win over Porre or really anything, it would've worked a lot better.

You still need an oppressive regime for the plot to make sense, and the only two that really make sense is Porre and Medina, but both lose all incentives to be bad after the Trigger crew changes history, so...it might have been better just to have the plot in a completely different time period or something, though that also has its own sets of problems.

The main problem really is that Cross is written in such a convoluted and interconnected way that there's no real good way to fix its story flaws without the whole plot falling apart.

It doesn't help that the towns in Chrono Trigger are like three or four houses large.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Maybe one day they'll get around to making Chrono Break. :v:

They already made that years ago, it was called Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:thunk:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I can think of a handful of swords (Joyeuse, Durandal, Excalibur, etc.) but none of them seem to fit comfortably in the Name + Name combination, like Masa and Mune do.

Curt and Anna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

"Ozzie's in a pickle!" is one of the most memorable lines in the game for me, for some reason.

:same:

• Locked thread