Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Serifina posted:

Chrono Trigger! One of the greatest games of its console generation. :D

I really don't get the hate for the DS version, though.

The extra content, which is optional, is an exercise in the most boring kinds of tedium.
The best thing I can say about is that it's optional so you can just ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It's weird anachronous anime fantasy middle ages.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cool Ghost posted:

I only now realised that this only makes sense if Guardia is matrilineal.

Or just primogeniture.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Marle is the one who falls by the wayside in my playthroughs. It's not that she's bad, it's just that everyone else is so much better. In a different game, she'd be a solid party member. But in a game where everyone else is overpowered to the point that almost no random battles last more than an action or two and other characters can heal everyone on their own in addition to high offense...she just falls short. And really all she needs is the ability to heal everyone on her own to be a solid contender.

Also her techs dont look that impressive relative to other characters.

like others have said Chrono Trigger is not that hard, and is pretty well designed so that all parties are just as viable as the other.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There's just something about Chrono Trigger. It manages to hit so many things so right.

I'm sure this ending, and being able to see first hand what the final boss has it in for you, are some of the huge reasons why it's remembered so fondly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KKKLIP ART posted:

Does the info dump in Chrono Cross or anything in Radical Dreamers cover any of the spoilered stuff?

Nope.
Lavos remained an unfathomable force of nature, certainly had a plan involving the villains of Cross, but it never personally speaks, it's implied that it speaks directly to the party members, tempting them with power, after they find a piece of its soul/essence, but theres no dialogue from it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 23, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alxprit posted:

I love the Silver Earring on Crono. None of his techs cost 1 MP, his MP pool is lower than the ladies at this point, and his more expensive techs are components for Dual Techs with less expensive ones on the other side. It wouldn't be terrible on Robo either but since Crono's always around, he's a very good choice for it.

This is actually how they balance MP pools, characters that have a less caster-y archetype have techs that cost more, this also applies to their MP cost in double and triple techs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's more the speed of Final Fantasy 6. Only hard. It's definitely worth checking out though, it has an incredible magic system.

Incredible spritework, too
Probably the best on the SNES.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ya boy frog just came back from killing a living Armageddon

he won

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Some Numbers posted:

It's also a nice bridge from Magus' Castle (the best part of the game so far) to what's on the other side of that gate (the ACTUAL best part of the game)

People say this about every part of the game
maybe the entire game is the best part

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If Magus succeeded in this ending we wouldnt have had a Lavos to beat in 1999. So hes def dead by the end of this one.
This does show clearly what Magus's motives are: which is a singular 'kill lavos'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shitenshi posted:

I did not know that Magus's versions of the elemental attacks were stronger versions on their own than the usual ones. I remember during the early 00s and probably for a good while after, some people shat all over him as overrated and one of the worst characters, an all style and no substance type, but in addition to that being edgelord rambling, that stat on the element spells definitely helps his case.

I guess that also by default makes him the strongest ice/water character. Make that another mark in his favor in the duel ending between him and Frog, unless Water 2 plays differently for some reason.

Also, was that art inspired by any official promo images? I keep trying to compare it to the actual in-game sprite, and it's just not meshing well for me.

Magus is Good on his own
But his lack of access to Double Techs and for matters regarding triple tech, make him not that great as a party member. We are getting oh so close to the point where double techs are going to be pumping out insane amounts of damage, and triple techs that will be absolutely overkill.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 13, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fridge corn posted:

I wonder if Chrono Trigger will ever get a remake a la Secret of Mana

God I hope not.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because the Secret of mana remake is bad
if Chrono trigger gets a remake it better be damned good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was pretty buggy when I played it. Adding voice acting without moving mouths also kinda bothered me. It wasn't the worst thing square's done though. That honor is reserved for the Chrono Trigger remake that already exists.

It's pretty much these, and the fact that they added updated graphics without updating things like QoL fixes and additions, updating the gameplay slightly so that slight wonky SNES floatiness and imprecision stops being a factor. The only saving grace about it is that it is Secret of Mana.
If they brought the game back as is unchanged, but with redrawn, higher res sprites that would have been amazing, just because the original is a damned good game but it's as the first SNES Mana game they still didnt have Seiken Densetsu 3 levels of sprite quality.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 14, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Y and Burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shitenshi posted:

You can still tackle the Black Omen in 2300 AD, just use a walk through walls code to get through the doors, and it'll proceed the same as usual. Don't know if you still fight Lavos afterwards as usual, would be kinda weird to see him popping up after he's all spent and tired from destroying the world already.

To save space they probably didnt have three versions of the Black Omen map. You'd access the same one from all time periods and the game would probably trigger flags depending on your time period, and it would be the same as every other run through.

• Locked thread