Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

This LP is going places I never radically dreamed possible.

Let's not Cross that bridge please, let's just burn that here and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Trasson posted:

It's worth noting that as much as the PC port is an abomination unto visual design and interface (and bonus content), there's a really important thing to remember.

It's still Goddamn Motherfucking Chrono Trigger. If you don't want to :files:, it's an option, and a better one than Not Playing Chrono Trigger.

They fixed the visual design abomination. However nothing can fix the bonus content, short of taking the Wargames strategy of not playing the bonus content.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ultra Spoot posted:

I always loved that Marle is usually this really sweet girl and then you look at her portrait and SHE WILL gently caress YOU UP

Her victory pose makes it look like she's missing a tooth in her complete bliss of ending someones life.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's nothing. I thought an upcoming character's victory pose had them pulling out a smiling duck and showing it off for the longest time until my brain recontextualized what was going on.
Like 'heck yeah we won! happy duck!'

I used to see it as him holding a feather capped beret... which also made no sense since he doesn't wear a hat either.

Like this, but blue.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Frog's critical animation is especially flashy.

Visceral is more accurate.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Regarding good video game chancellors, the one in Super Mario RPG is just fine. (Why do I keep bringing this game up)

The Chancellor of Tycoon also didn't try anything. Probably because he knew he was already the De Facto ruler with Lenna always off saving animals and getting poisoned and Faris not wanting to be royalty.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A Pleasant Hug posted:

I always figured that, since the Dragon Tank destroyed the bridge to the prison tower, that this bridge happens to be somewhere above the throne room. So the Chancellor and his two soldiers just let themselves fall, cushion their fall with the scrap-heap dragon tank, and drop into the throne room via a window. Young me rolled with that.

That was also my interpretation.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

DO NOT CLICK THIS MUSIC LINK

:siren: DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC. :siren:

Probably also do not post the 13,478 remixes and covers of this music either... as much as it pains me to say.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It's time to march south (or to the left, whichever works for you).

The one, single solitary complaint I can make about this game, my dumb American reading left to right brain and (at the time) 10 years of game experience screaming I should be going left to right.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"These guys are fearsome, with powerful fire attacks, very high physical defense, and a staggering 830MP"

Also, love how Robo just doesn't get anything. "You're gentile Ayla" :black101:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

:siren: CLICK THIS VIDEO :siren:

https://mp4.mega64.net/ct/16/135.mp4

:siren: CLICK THIS VIDEO :siren:

You, the jerk in the back whose played this 20 times, yes, you too!

The fmv that plays in the psx version onward is one of the best ones in that game too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

So you can come in as Robo and Marle, have Robo help Melchoir, then swap Marle out for Lucca, and they actually thought to give her dialogue if you do all that (since the person who talks after the Masamune is reforged is the one who didn't help, which in this update was Robo).

What?

Really? This is why this is one of the best games ever made.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Will the guy who posts the remixes make a post longer than the update itself?

There was once a time where 50% of OCRemix seemed to be Schala's Theme, it's probably reduced down to 45% by now :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Going back to open sealed doors and stuff is probably my favorite mechanical part of Chrono Trigger cause it's such a huge power boost.

Speaking of, once you get the pendant charged up a Mu or some other person blocks the door, so you can't pull anything funny.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

At this point, I'm starting to feel like the only person to ever get the jerky scene with the King.

Seriously, was I the only kid who took that "talk to absolutely everyone" general JRPG advice to heart? :psyduck:

I got the scene too. But I seem to remember another scene between "you killed mom" and "death by diet"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Ruby Knife, that and original US releaseFFIV's Avenger sword were my childhood nemesis.

Equip, drat you, its a weapon! equiiiiiiiip!

(well, one was a plot coupon, the other was a 2 handed sword that never came up as an option before in that game, but still, evil junk)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It's not looking good...

-----

Undersea Palace

It looks better the second time?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

For the scientist having the best Magic stat, I was thinking more along the lines of the normal "Intelligence" stat, which usually affects the potency of magic and/or your MP pool. Lucca's the smartest of the bunch, so she'd have the best magic.

...Don't know what that says about Robo, though.

My interpretation of the INT stat how you're talking about is "you know exactly how to gently caress poo poo up" and the Spirit/Mind/whatever white mage quivalent is "you know how to fix poo poo up."

As for Robo it could just be hardware limitations. Laser photon emitters are only so precise and things like that. Then again that doesn't explain how just shoving magic tabs in his grill would make them better.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You are wrong

e:fb

second edit to justify that more:

The elevators here are just with enemies already shown.

Even now, 20 years later I still can't fully parse what the Thrasher/Lasher enemies are supposed to be. I know they've got basically a hockey mask on and hunched over, but until maybe 5 years ago I always thought they were toad warriors or something.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 2, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Turns out there is a way to remove Crono from the active party!

Too soon :argh:

Alternatively. The future is being bloody loving stubborn about changing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if this is in-game, or word of God, or fan theory or what, but I remember something saying that Blue Hair is a sign of magical prowess. The royal family dye their hair, except Janus, he's the real deal.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think they butchered the music too, a patch allows you to go back to the original though.

As for CT, I'm not sure it is a reserved honor. The FFV and FFVI mobile ports are very good competitors. Instead of merely screwing up the sprites, they chose with malus aforethought to change the sprites.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

the comfort of savestates, fast-forward and so on

Fastforward I can almost understand, but the game is pretty quick on its own unless you're counting the PSX version. Savestates, unless you're doing a LLG or some other crazy challenge I can't imagine any reason for that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

My main beef with it is (Chrono Trigger/Cross spoilers) there's nothing in Trigger to really suggest any rift between Guardia and Porre other than maybe "mayor is greedy" which we fixed anyway, and in Cross they just say "Dalton convinces Porre to conquer Guardia" without really going into how he did it, which makes the whole thing jarring as hell and ends up feeling like a cheap and lazy way to eliminate Crono and Marle for little more than shock value. If they had bothered fleshing out that part more, to give some valid reasons why Porre might be resentful of Guardia or want more power or Dalton using his powers of burping and summoning Golems to win over Porre or really anything, it would've worked a lot better.

You still need an oppressive regime for the plot to make sense, and the only two that really make sense is Porre and Medina, but both lose all incentives to be bad after the Trigger crew changes history, so...it might have been better just to have the plot in a completely different time period or something, though that also has its own sets of problems.

The main problem really is that Cross is written in such a convoluted and interconnected way that there's no real good way to fix its story flaws without the whole plot falling apart.

Alternatively, just set Cross 50 years later or something, after they die of natural causes which is a certainty, rather than Dalton doing anything remotely dangerous with them around.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I also didn't like the Suikoden esk, multiple potential party members.

The thing that bothers me about comparing Cross with Suikoden is that Suikoden has 6 character slots, which usually has at the worst case maybe half the slots tied up with a given plot thread. You usually have 5 characters to rotate in and out. Maybe only 60 of the 108 are playable, and the game is built to get the random town crier or squirrel you pick up to get back on the level curve. The drat games even do character combo attacks better than Cross.

Cross did exactly none of that right. The worst Suikoden does is they might have as many as 3 Pierre like characters in a given game.

Also Cross does have a pretty good OST, but it has the worst battle theme that I can think of. So yeah, if you listen to the music, its fine but if you play the game its a bit much.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 25, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I can think of a handful of swords (Joyeuse, Durandal, Excalibur, etc.) but none of them seem to fit comfortably in the Name + Name combination, like Masa and Mune do.

And back in '96, I probably hadn't heard of any of them. The Masamune was at least a bit familiar to me, probably from other games.

Same, and back then with previous games being just another sword because of graphical limitations or "knife" because of localizations and just thought it was a Final Fantasy thing and left it at that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, always thought you needed to beat Atropos and get her speedy ribbon to give Robo the power to launch at that switch.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand, Marle and Frog can resolve their problems directly without going to a non-standard gate, and if they were to use the gates, would they still be them? Would Marle still flee from the castle and a strict father if her younger self knew her dad was paying attention to her and her mother in the final days? Would Frog suddenly showing up before Cyrus dies and saving his past self with Masamune 2 do anything good?

Young Lucca saw the dangers of unknown technology either way and resolved to learn no matter what.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

These guys can be utterly nasty. They're incredibly resistant (though oddly not immune) to Lightning and Shadow attacks. They have a mere 1500HP, but...

...it doesn't matter since they'll kill you in one hit and drain all that HP.

I know they do that, but 99% they do the other thing and kill each other.

quote:

Standard numbers as usual, but these guys are more annoying than threatening. If you lack any status effects whatsoever, two of these guys can end up stalling your party for a long time. They also have an HP-halving move.

Should be resistances

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 13, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Zeal is really rude, both mechanically and literally.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I mentioned it lately, but Uematsu must have sold his soul like 6 times over to be able to do some of the music he's done. To Far Away Times counts for at least 2 of those transactions.

It is just so enthusiastic, just like the rest of the game. "You did it, everything is good! Forget about Cross loving everything up after the factturn off the game now if you're not playing the original SNES and retroactively gently caress everything up"

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 15, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

I keep bringing it up, but one of the sub-themes of Chrono Cross is a typical pro-environmentalism message that the game just does not do well. At all. And it's 100% Cross's fault on this one.

Not to mention that the game at least triples down on that. The end just hammers on the "humans are bad, you belong dead!" like a... dead horse.

The real dumb thing about the environmental message? The game takes place in 99% pristine tropical islands. Biggest city may have about 200 people in it (honestly like 30NPCs). Humans weren't the planet raping trash in this region, 100% dwarven dickishness.

e: also whoever translated the game has a huge thirst for "enmity." Ran their finger down a thesaurus entry for hate, and just cntl-F'd almost every instance to "enmity"

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 16, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of L99 Ayla critting for max damage, Her fist, to Iron Fist, to Bronze Fist as she levels. Bronze fist does max damage, while Iron Fist (Apparently level 72, but honestly I thought I got it sooner than that since I've never ground up to 99 and didn't think I've even gotten above 60 before). Iron Fist has a chance to inflict the chaos status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Want to witness a human being achieve misery and hopelessness in real time?

Hmmm, I do love me some schadenfreude...

Mega64 posted:

Because I'm going to make the worst decision in my life and stream a run of the Lost Sanctum, a bonus dungeon added to the DS version that is complete and utter garbage.

Please don't, you have so much to live for?

Mega64 posted:

Why? Why not?

This is not a mountain, "because its there" or "why not" is not a suitable answer!

Mega64 posted:

It'll be miserable and probably boring as hell. Time permitting, I may stream other bonus content too, like the Dimensional Vortex or the dumb monster arena thing.

:negative:

Godspeed, you'll need all the help you can get.

• Locked thread