Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction to Mania?
This poll is closed.
Brilliant! Vince has still got it! 24 8.48%
A disaster! Vince has lost it! 11 3.89%
Eh. 85 30.04%
When does Uncle Paul take over? 92 32.51%
....what's wrong with Ol' Yeller? :ohdear: 71 25.09%
Total: 283 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what if the political hit......never ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity I like your gimmick :)

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Hako posted:

Also Daniel Bryan is boring as gently caress. I was on a break during wrestling so this is the first time I saw him live. I don't get the yes chant and he is very generic and evokes no emotion in me.

I know we joke about people having bad opinions here some times but this...I just...I just don't know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

St Evan Echoes posted:

Rarity I like your gimmick :)

No but seriously guys I've thought about this and I think Finn beats Lesnar for the title tonight on Raw. It's the only booking that makes sense.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DukeofCA posted:

I know we joke about people having bad opinions here some times but this...I just...I just don't know.

Please explain why I should care about an average wrestler with a plain gimmick and look. The yes kicks are the WORST move in all of this fake sport. They look so terrible. He has a beard? Ohhh boooy lets shoot him to the moon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I've made a lot of mistakes in my life but I can't think of any I regret more than going to bed before I got to see Nicholas become tag team champ

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hako posted:

Please explain why I should care about an average wrestler with a plain gimmick and look. The yes kicks are the WORST move in all of this fake sport. They look so terrible. He has a beard? Ohhh boooy lets shoot him to the moon.

In what regard?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hako posted:

It would be wise not to troll me

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

In what regard?

What does he do that no one else does? Hes a generic wrestler with some stupid kicks....big whoop

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nicholas is the son of WWE offical John Cone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hako posted:

Please explain why I should care

You shouldn't, if you don't like the guy then you don't like him. That's okay :)

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Daniel Bryan is a lovable goofball that loves the simple things in life and then his dragon spirit awakens and he does amazing feats of destruction in the ring.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Hako posted:

Also Daniel Bryan is boring as gently caress. I was on a break during wrestling so this is the first time I saw him live. I don't get the yes chant and he is very generic and evokes no emotion in me.

Yeah. See... Here you say something dumb and then cover up for it by announcing that you're ignorant.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hako posted:

Thats cool man. While we're baring our souls: I don't care for popular wrestler Roman Reigns

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

God Of Paradise posted:

Yeah. See... Here you say something dumb and then cover up for it by announcing that you're ignorant.

Cover up? I don't see what everyone else sees in the guy. He is on the same level as Titus to me.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Thats cool man. While we're baring our souls: I don't care for popular wrestler Roman Reigns

How can you not like THE BIG DOG who goes OOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAH and spears and superman punches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

What changed your mind, Mr. McMahon?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Hako posted:

Cover up? I don't see what everyone else sees in the guy. He is on the same level as Titus to me.

Okay. I'll bite. Bryan Danielson from about 2006 to his retirement was quite simply the best wrestler in the world. When people chanted, "Best In The World," in 3,000 seat venues, and bought RoH DVDs every month to keep track, that's because they believed in fact, that he was the best in the world, or at least close to it. He had a sense of legitimacy and realness that nobody else seemed to have.

On this forum, Bryan was a lot posters "boy," back then. Then we watched him week after week put on incredible matches. Whether these were technical British-style masterpieces versus Nigel McGuinness, hard hitting Puro fights vs Kenta, or even hardcore brawls, Bryan's work was amazing... Even if RoH's booking made him a tweener during his time as champion, he was giving us a Kurt Angle, or Chris Benoit level performance every time out.

Then the indie darling got called up. We watched him lose, while putting on incredible matches. Watch his first match in the company against Chris Jericho, and tell me you don't see something different and special about it. We then watched him be given next to nothing to work with for awhile. What did he do? He was given lemons and he painted that poo poo gold. The AJ Lee romance angle. The weasel out-thinking Big Show and Mark Henry. A ridiculous Tag Team with Kane, that he got over with actually funny comedy. Given nothing. He got it over. He had heart and fire. He also had an air of being one of us. And that's who the crowd chose, whether the WWE gave it to us or not.

Slowly, and seemingly without help from WWE writing and booking, we saw our little wrestling nerd favorite become the most over wrestler in the WWE. This culminated in two matches at WM 30 that stand up there with Michaels vs Taker as the best WM matches in modern times. Nobody was more over. Bryan was getting Attitude era Austin pops.

Bryan was so successful, that it eventually became a detriment to the talent scouting of WWE. When he came, nobody was a goofy bearded high-flying technical wizard who didn't take himself too seriously. Now it seems both Punk and Bryan were the patient zeroes for what the WWE has become. BUT, what the other talent that has been signed recently doesn't compare to, is the feeling of heart, fire, and psychology that Bryan has as a worker. Those elements, along with his athleticism, make Bryan inarguably one of the most important wrestlers of his generation.

Then we saw Bryan, from years of bumping like a madman and giving everything he had, get sidelined in a similar fashion to the way Bret did. Now he's back.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 9, 2018

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

I bought a network subscription a week ago just to see Bryan tonight.

That book above me is the reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, Jesus Christ look at this:

I still can't believe they thought he was only "chant" over and thought they could transfer that chant to any other wrestler, like Big Show, and it would be just as effective.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I still can't believe they thought he was only "chant" over and thought they could transfer that chant to any other wrestler, like Big Show, and it would be just as effective.

The WWE went as far to bury Bryan they quickly turned him heel after his chant became a viral phenomenon. And he got more over.

Why? He's awesome.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 9, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God, I'm rewatching Finn's entrance and as an LGBT person it's giving me all the emotions :3:

God Of Paradise posted:

The WWE went as far to bury Bryan they quickly turned him heel after his chant became a viral phenomenon. And he got more over.

Why? He's awesome.

Actually he was already a heel when the chants started happening

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God it's kinda crazy to remember how good he was as a paranoid rear end in a top hat heel who shouted NO! NO! NO! all the time.

His shirt with STOP IT! on the back always cracks me up whenever I think of it :)

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Jerusalem posted:

In all fairness, it's a really easy chant to get over. I managed to get an entire rural island of Japanese kids to do it after seeing them once a month for a year and showing them the finish of Daniel versus Bray literally once. I went back two years later, bumped into them on a school excursion on the top of their island's mountain, and did it with them while standing on the lighthouse at the peak of said mountain.

It was pretty rad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Roger Explosion posted:

In all fairness, it's a really easy chant to get over.

True. Nobody gets it over as well as Bryan though, and man WWE really, really tried to do so.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm starting to feel bad for Roman.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

a new study bible! posted:

I'm starting to feel bad for Roman.

This is just what they wan't don't be a mark.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

What are the matches I should watch from last night? SD women’s title, the mixed tag... was anything else at all worth going out of my way to see?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

God it's kinda crazy to remember how good he was as a paranoid rear end in a top hat heel who shouted NO! NO! NO! all the time.

His shirt with STOP IT! on the back always cracks me up whenever I think of it :)

If I was going to have one Bryan t-shirt it would be that one, I thought the way the yes's were painted over was cool and I really enjoyed that Daniel Bryan heel run and how effective he was as a gaslighting shitbag.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

St Evan Echoes posted:

What are the matches I should watch from last night? SD women’s title, the mixed tag... was anything else at all worth going out of my way to see?

IC Title Match was real good

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

The IC title match was good, the SD women's title is all right if stuck with a really flat finish, the mixed tag was entertaining, although why on earth there was ever a moment that Stephanie McMahon was doing any actual real damage to Ronda was beyond me; and Braun's tag match was a perfect absurd moment that really makes you wonder why the gently caress Braun hasn't been pushed so hard he's orbiting Saturn because he got that poo poo 110% over with a crowd that had been sitting there for six goddamn hours

And the main event is the most amazing bit of "nobody cares" that I think I've ever seen, the crowd is distracted by beach balls and actually chants "this is awful" and "boring" and literally only pops for the match mercifully ending. 75,000 disinterested hardcore fans is something to witness, that's for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd recommend trying every match, and skipping if you aren't digging it. To paraphrase Taz: watch if you can, skip... if they let you. As in, they might be interesting so you won't want to skip them.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Paige here inviting you to check out a scene from my new movie!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

God, I'm rewatching Finn's entrance and as an LGBT person it's giving me all the emotions :3:

As soon as my roommate saw Finn’s entrance and heard LGBTQ, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him move so fast to get on a computer and buy his first wrestling t-shirt. I swear I heard a sonic boom from him moving that fast.

That’s probably my Mania highlight, aside from Ronda looking surprisingly decent in that match.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I love Braun, but I think his segment last night sucked. Shane's kid or total stranger it was weird and the whole match took a swerve that made everything feel like it was happening in a bizzaro world.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShadowedFlames posted:

As soon as my roommate saw Finn’s entrance and heard LGBTQ, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him move so fast to get on a computer and buy his first wrestling t-shirt. I swear I heard a sonic boom from him moving that fast.

Yeah, I just put down £30 to get one as well. I hope it arrives before I go see Finn live in May :pray:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Finn is a very good boy and I can’t wait for him to squash Brock tonight on Raw

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I think the only thing I'm concerned about with regards to Asuka is her future booking. Last night's match was great, but that post match promo and then her backstage interview did her absolutely no favors at all. That combined with (future advertisements for house shows) her wrestling Nia Jax during the May house show tour makes me worry that she's going to be entering the land of 50/50 booking and losing to people she really shouldn't be losing to. I don't mind the occasional loss now and then, but she should still be kept strong, but I doubt Vince feels that way after last night's match. I have a feeling her career as a decently pushed wrestler on the roster is over.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, waking up to my top twitter moment being 'wrestlemania bad' and a clip of people screaming THIS IS AWFUL at the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

St Evan Echoes posted:

Finn is a very good boy and I can’t wait for him to squash Brock tonight on Raw

:hai:

• Locked thread