Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction to Mania?
This poll is closed.
Brilliant! Vince has still got it! 24 8.48%
A disaster! Vince has lost it! 11 3.89%
Eh. 85 30.04%
When does Uncle Paul take over? 92 32.51%
....what's wrong with Ol' Yeller? :ohdear: 71 25.09%
Total: 283 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just...what?

The more I think about it the more I feel like either Heel Roman or Demon Finn is winning the title. Didn't Finn have Roman pinned in the Chamber before Braun inexplicably pinned him? And hasn't Demon Finn been MIA since Summerslam when he won the Universal Title in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

A heel turn isn't saving Roman. He's past the point of worth taking seriously.

I didn't say it'd WORK. That's just what I think they might do.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Nicholas McMahon is a WWE belt holder and his balls haven't even dropped. He's the best one in the family yet.

It could still be John Cone's kid. The two of them could look really similar The fact that two people, including Alvarez, didn't immediately identify him as Shane's kid says a lot to me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

Can I ask why you think that? Tonight’s match really didn’t give me any sense of Roman going heel.

I explained it in the previous thread but it's quite simple, and not in an ironic WCW way.

In kayfabe, Roman's mad he can't beat Brock and will do so by any means necessary. So what happens? Heyman screws Brock. Why? In kayfabe and out Brock is leaving for UFC, Heyman is insecure about it and wants a new meal ticket. Boom.

Outside kayfabe it turns Roman which has obvious theoretical benefits and Roman gets Heyman as a mouthpiece.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

I'm still baffled by the main event finish.

So like, are we supposed to be mad the part-timer won, and this is their beloved "get heat" for someone who actually doesn't have much heat? Are we supposed to feel bad for Roman, which lol? Or did they get cold feet yet again for their supposed golden boy, who everyone now sees loud and clear as a choker who isn't the guy? What the gently caress is even the plan here?

Jesus Christ. At least New Japan stuck to the plan when they pushed Okada to carry the torch.

Right there with you dude.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Anderson posted:

FIVE? Holy poo poo now I have to see this match.

AND ONE OF THEM WAS THROUGH A TABLE.

And also like six+ Germans and a few belly to belly suplexes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Remember when all the faces came out and paraded Luger around on thier shoulders and confetti dropped when he won the title except he didn't actually win the title

Can we agree that's dumber than this? That's the dumbest finish of all time IMO.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I will have an aneurysm from laughing so hard if the crowd in Saudi Arabia shits all over Roman

They absolutely will not. That's exactly why they're doing this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Didn't even mention it outright says Brock's next appearance is that match, which means he's not on raw tonight

JESUS loving CHRIST I LITERALLY HATE BROCK LESNAR

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

You're hating on the wrong person

I can hate multiple people.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

At least Dana White got owned.

Did he really though?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm deeply disappointed that the crowd didn't chant YOU BOTH SUCK during the main event, btw.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

super macho dude posted:

lol @ McMahon still seeing Brock as his biggest attraction

He needs to not be on this planet anymore.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/983477895598227456

Brock did throw the belt. gently caress me, I guess.

On this particular thing I side with Brock even though I just want him to go away. Of course, fairness to Brock, I think he wants to go away too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After reading the news of the world for the day, suddenly this bullshit doesn't seem so bad. Granted this is more nihilism than optimism but it sure is perspective!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

I watched Wrestlemania with a buddy who hasn't watched wrestling since he was a kid 20 years ago. He loving LOVED it. It was so fun watching it with him because he didn't have any built-up cynicism about "They're only doing X so that they can get to Y, those pricks" like I do; he took everything at face value. He thought it was just an incredible spectacle filled with insane athleticism, awesome entrances, and big stars he's heard of but hasn't necessarily seen (except the UFC people).

This is the way I TRY to approach it but I can't be 0% smark so that's where this bizarre mixture of talking about things I like and getting mad about cynicism comes from. I can't quit WWE and I can't quit you guys either. :(

Your friend sounds awesome.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

Actually, have there been any wrestlers with a time travel gimmick?

I want to make a ROMAN REIGNS IS A CASTLETON SNOB sign now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's cool how they kneecapped the career of the greatest female wrestler in the world so they could get Ric Flair's Daughter over because she's Ric Flair's Daughter

Charlotte and Asuka are both really good IMO.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

Charlotte is ok on the mic, come on.

She ain't her dad but she's fine enough.

Especially lately.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought Raw was alright. Plenty of really cool moments, sensible booking for the most part (probably the best way to handle the Braun situation for example) but no real OH gently caress moments.

I'm utterly baffled that Vince is choosing to STILL crown Roman in SAUDI loving ARABIA less than a month after getting utterly squashed at WrestleMania but at least it'll be done I guess. Joe's promo was fantastic.

One thing that confused me is that the Payback commercial made it sound like the cross branding was a selling point for the show but I thought brand exclusive shows were dead.

I'm theoretically excited for the shakeup but I have no idea at all how they're going to navigate having no brand exclusive shows. I'd say the smartest thing on a variety of levels would be to periodically have special Raw and SD TV episodes with title matches and the like, y'know like the old Clash of Champions shows, which I guess is still possible.

I have to admit everything with Seth, Finn, the Hardys, Bray, and Nia had me grinning and I thought the Ronda segment was good too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also I was rushing to catch up on DVR, where was the TNA reference?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

I liked Joe's promo and then I remembered he's done literally nothing on the main roster.

He went toe to toe with Brock, like more in kayfabe than Roman. That was what made the promo so good.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

Roman kicked out of literally five times as much poo poo as Joe did but even that super underwhelming match at GBoF feels like Joe came so much closer to beating Brock and was an actual contender.

Exactly.

Also holy poo poo at that line. LMAO.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Professor Funk posted:

I think it's dumb that Finn/Seth are now best friends after they've been at each others throats for like 6 weeks, the ending of that show was awful weird

Ehh. They didn't really hate each other in the build to Mania. They both clowned Miz a lot. There was nothing out of character tonight.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GrimGypsy posted:

seems like a waste to not do some Big Thing at the end of the raw after mania but then again I'm not the prince of saudi arabia

It was like that last year too (though I agree).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Professor Funk posted:

they had the return of our glorious gay boy Finn Balor last year :3:

Oh poo poo that's right. They could have had Jeff be a mystery partner I guess.

But the reveal was worth it for Seth and Finn reacting to Bray and Broken Matt. That was loving hilarious.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Jeff Hardy having to deal with his family when he was out with his cool friends was pretty hilarious

Someone please get me a gif of the camera panning to Finn and Seth with the :wtc: faces.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The more I think about it the more I think Brock might retain AGAIN which would be both depressing and absolutely hilarious.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Do it ironically posted:

My takeaway from raw and in general is fans are desperate to cheer for a baby face right now, and that’s not Roman and it might not ever be, Seth had a mediocre year story and wrestling wise but he gets the belt and people are going nuts for him

Seth is also legitimately a top 5 wrestler in the company or so and very clearly puts everything he has into his craft. You're right that much of his year was "eh" but from Rumble on he's been on an absolute tear.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The reason why Roman will never ever work how Vince wants is that since being coronated (late in The Shield) he very clearly has no fire in anything he does. He's like Brock without the monstrous spectacle factor (but they both have poo poo matches at this point and can't talk).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Guys.

I miss Dean. :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

The longer he’s out, the more Jesus the pop when he comes back :)

I keep telling myself that but I'm also worried they'll turn him heel. I know a lot of people here would fap over it but I like having a face I relate to. I adore Seth and Finn and Braun but for some loving reason I cannot explain, I've been watching since November 1998 when I was 11, almost 12, and I've never had as genuine of a desire to see a wrestler succeed and get adulation as Dean. Punk was close. But I wish I understood it. :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Von_Doom posted:

Yeah .... had some experience as well. Like that other goon ... scum that pay ludicrously well. Also loathe Dubai and will smile at Seth’s stinger as it plays before the Princes: Burn it down!

Glad Dean will be coming back rested and motivated. Seth was always the ring skills guy but nobody could promo like Sleazy Dean. With the right backing, the former Moxley could reach Stone Cold levels. Just keep him scary deranged more than Wacky. Still wish he’d do the headlock driver Dirty Deeds again. And the gun pointing knee.

He used to gun point before the Dirty Deeds too. It was a general "you gonna die" taunt and it ruled. I agree though, even though I prefer Dirty DeedsDT. :v:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

You all said SD would be better if Jinder didn't have the world title

Well? Is it?

Not by much, but yes, you smarmy poo poo, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just once, I want someone to return to WWE with this song and a big production entrance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

Now I have visions of Dean returning with this theme for NO loving REASON and instantly being the most over person in history.

(This song loving owns.)

• Locked thread