Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
So like is there an actual reason for animes to have such short development cycles, if they're paying for the team to fix it for blu-ray release anyway? Is it just producers cargo-culting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

So like is there an actual reason for animes to have such short development cycles, if they're paying for the team to fix it for blu-ray release anyway? Is it just producers cargo-culting?

good old capitalism

if you need to make anime to pay employees, you're constantly taking jobs but there's a finite amount of flexibility in each project's schedule so unforseen issues can pile up and affect the current project or maybe even the next one down the line etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

Anime studios make barely any money off of anime. Golden Kamuy doesn't have a complete death spot like 3 in the morning or anything, but it still airs fairly late at night. When you look at Japanese work schedules, not that many people are gonna be up to watch it.

It exists not to be wildly successful, but to fill air time on the TV station and to promote the manga by virtue of its own existence. Functionally speaking, it's no different from late-night infomercials about snuggies. Due to this, the budget is small. Anime studios, again, barely make any actual money off of the anime - in the case of Golden Kamuy, the people making money will be the company that publishes the manga (Shueisha) and the tv station that's airing it (Tokyo MX).

Since the anime studio is only being paid a small fee for their work, and they won't see any profits whatsoever from its airing, they have to make a lot of anime if they want to stay afloat.

Likewise, the reason for blu-ray fixes is that anime studios actually do make some money off of those - they only have to split the profits with the distributor of the BDs, generally, though it varies from contract to contract (sometimes the company that owns the rights to the manga wants $$$). So it pays to take some time to redraw faces and stuff to make buying the blu-ray seem more appealing to hardcore fans. This is why anime blu-rays are usually so expensive - a show with very few hardcore fans would rather make all those fans pay 250 dollars than try and get a bunch of vaguely curious people to pay 25.

Since blu-rays are only aimed at hardcore fans, blu-ray redraws can have a significant impact on sales, relative to how low the sales figures are. And since blu-rays are so expensive, and an anime studio is actually allowed a decent chunk of the profits from them, they can make back most of the money spent on redraws in just a few hundred extra blu-ray sales. In addition, if the show gets reaired for some anniversary or event years down the line, you can air the blu-ray version instead and have a more presentable product. Crunchyroll has the BD versions of a few shows up on it just because the shows are old enough that the companies don't see that as a loss. I'm pretty sure Symphogear Season 1 is the blu-ray version on Crunchyroll, for instance. So those blu-ray fixes also pay off in the long run.

There are exceptions to this scheme. Kyoto Animation makes very few anime a year, based mostly on light novels that they own the rights to. Sunrise is a giant corporation in and of itself and has enough money and power to throw around that they can just get stuff made by their own volition. A-1 Pictures is owned by Aniplex, and Aniplex is on the committee for a ton of shows, so essentially A-1 is just a studio that exists so that Aniplex can skip the middleman and get a show made themselves. So they don't have to worry as much about profits, since Aniplex is willing to take a loss on the studio side if they're making a gain on the production side. Not coincidentally, Sunrise and Kyoto Animation make some of the most consistent looking shows.

But generally, this is how anime production works. There's very little money in it for studios outside of the general fact of the thing existing, so they need to make a lot of things exist if they want to stay afloat.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 13, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That's a great rundown. I feel that the cheap and fast parts of anime is part of what keeps it fresh, because if they were using more time or money they would have to play it really safe all the time, but yea it also causes tons of problems. Like CGI bears are the least of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

an actual dog posted:

That's a great rundown. I feel that the cheap and fast parts of anime is part of what keeps it fresh, because if they were using more time or money they would have to play it really safe all the time, but yea it also causes tons of problems. Like CGI bears are the least of them.

I'll take a CGI bear over the QUALITY issues that anime like Madchen Marchen had.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'll take a CGI bear over the QUALITY issues that anime like Madchen Marchen had.

This is my friend Golden Kamuy's bear animation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would think we can stop beating the dead bear, at least until the second one shows up

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i would think we can stop beating the dead bear, at least until the second one shows up

please

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

A second bear has hit the anime

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You've done a beautiful thing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/2tkinfo/status/985202540135378945

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

:sigh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this does not surprise me

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
argh I was looking forward to him making that face only animated :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

over time i've grown skeptical of any tv anime to really capture meme faces from the manga, or even to do adequate versions of iconic stuff like umezu, jojo, etc. so not really a mark against this particular show, but still a bummer

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'd say MHA has the most egregious version of that since it ruins Shigiraki's introduction.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 17, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I like this show so far, mostly because it's not regurgitated sugar coated high school crap. Story, historical setting and 'gotta skin em all'. Plus it's winter so no god drat cicadas or moaning about how hot it is (I'm a Northern person and I like colder climates).

I'm tempted to google the manga plot but don't want to spoil it for myself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thus far the anime just makes me want to read the manga again instead

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I lament some of the less-than-stellar faces, the episode wasn't a complete dumpster fire: Sugimoto vs Ogata was brief but intense and the smaller moments (Sugimoto thumb-punching a fool and Sugimoto + Shiraishi fighting the hypothermia).

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

But yeah, kinda not feeling it yet. Though I cannot wait to hear Jouji motherfucking Nakata as Ol' Baragaki. :black101:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As a non-manga reader, this series is great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ratzap posted:

don't do that, but do read the manga

I'm a manga reader but I wanted to switch over to the real books when it got licensed which means I've been waiting so loving long for the official release to get to stuff I haven't read yet.

I'm in this horrible plot limbo where I'm ahead of the official manga but way behind the scans.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

LostRook posted:

I'd say MHA has the most egregious version of that since it ruins Shigiraki's introduction.

On the other hand, it nails my avatar.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Ratzap posted:

I like this show so far, mostly because it's not regurgitated sugar coated high school crap. Story, historical setting and 'gotta skin em all'. Plus it's winter so no god drat cicadas or moaning about how hot it is (I'm a Northern person and I like colder climates).

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
eh I'll pick it up when the show is over

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I was interested in this anime cuz I saw all the funny faces from the manga. If the anime ain't got no faces, I'm just gonna read.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah it gotn't.

Kinda reminds me of Ace Attorney in most parts. Oh well.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Wow, the anime made it look like eating squirrel brain for the first time was simply delicious.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all digital volumes of the manga are currently on sale for $7/ea, if you're interested in that

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=23463&lang=1

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also some more twitter threads on the production side of things, especially worth noting the chain that starts with Canipa's tweets

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/986257809908973568

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's also definitely suffering the comparison to the manga which has so much charm. If this was original material people probably would be less critical (though the bears would still probably be getting poo poo on) since it otherwise looks decent, but blanding-out considering the source is a pretty big flaw.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I think it's also definitely suffering the comparison to the manga which has so much charm. If this was original material people probably would be less critical (though the bears would still probably be getting poo poo on) since it otherwise looks decent, but blanding-out considering the source is a pretty big flaw.

I've talked about it a bit before elsewhere but theres always a danger evolving from what is mostly a single's authors total control and vision (editorial constants exist and assistants are people too) to an adaption thats being handled by dozens, with all the new failure and stress points that introduces.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Everything Burrito posted:

A good sign is that, looking around the net, people are still loving the show even if they are anime only. So the show is still getting across the charm of the story. Manga readers are just a bit spoiled it seems.

Hopefully this means further seasons that get better treatment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The anime's purpose is to advertise the manga. By that metric, its doing its job fine.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Any good documentaries about the Ainu?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Viridiant posted:

Any good documentaries about the Ainu?

iunno about documentaries but http://www.okikirmui.com/the-complete-yukar/ here is a cool online translation of some ainu folk tales, with footnotes explaining cultural stuff

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea this scene was very disappointing

the show's servicable and I'm gonna keep watching it because golden kamuy is good but the manga is absolutely the definitive version of the story still at this point

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/42WV_/status/986454977500581889

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Second episode is more like it. It doesn't capture some of the great expressions but it is in color and moving.

Opening is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/toxan_7/status/988257112210862081