Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I don't know if Noda is bi or straight or whatever but the discussion is always a little fraught with tension for me maybe because earlier on - before I think this started getting more obvious, more campy, if that makes sense, you'd definitely stumble into bro-y folks talking about women coming into this series and liking it for the 'wrong' reasons; i.e., women would only be capable of liking a series because of eye candy/shipping and not because of anything substantive (luv the LOGH fandom, where you can't talk about this at all without being told you make stuff up!). To me Golden Kamuy is not really a case of some guy wanting to draw fanservice-y stuff for the ladies; given his background and the way he talks about what he's working on and the fact that he will publicly endorse BL series I think it's a bit more than just 'he's catering to a female audience.'

Not to say I've seen anyone saying that here and again, regardless of who Noda is, the series itself is pretty gay to me and the people who were initially obnoxious about that (like 'ew more gross stuff with Tanigaki where are the boobs') weren't super prevalent, just annoying, and they sure seem to have gotten quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Gino_BE/status/1002741346816253952?s=19

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just to follow-up on whether or not Noda is horny for his characters

https://twitter.com/KamuyCentral/status/909107329685110784

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's the first time anyone's admitted to having a boner for someone that looks like Ted Cruz.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDNSTZGc0n8

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this one is really nice
https://twitter.com/Wolfina_SH/status/1006118692017487872

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a short but it's only up for a week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvrn_HC-Dw

Have they done one of these for every episode?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Everything Burrito posted:

Here's a short but it's only up for a week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvrn_HC-Dw

Have they done one of these for every episode?

Yes they've done. I missed a couple already when I found out.

Succ-imoto

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/MilesExpress999/status/1007086079445385216

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/crazynabe/status/1007088013497823242?s=19

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol

I want to know what that show was

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everything Burrito posted:

lol

I want to know what that show was
My guess? Probably Gintama. Or the boondocks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ushiyama is the best.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not a fan of Episode 11; I was looking forward to the temporary shift to an indoor setting, but it tapped into some transphobic tropes while relying too much on campy horror movie logic.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Silver2195 posted:

Not a fan of Episode 11; I was looking forward to the temporary shift to an indoor setting, but it tapped into some transphobic tropes while relying too much on campy horror movie logic.

It's just based on HHHolmes and his murder hotel.

They didn't try to blame Ienaga's crimes on them being trans, if anything the focus is on their obsession with Chinese medicine as the reason they murder people (to eat the parts they want to "absorb").

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Sir, this is a beefcake drive-thru.

Also, Ushiyama doesn't care.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
idk I think it definitely plays in to a larger context in which having a pervosexual transwoman serial killer as the lurking villain is transphobic and it's perfectly fair to view it through that lens, especially this early in the series before it becomes plainly clear the author genuinely loves all the social outcasts and amoral psychopaths he writes. It feels distinctly less transphobic to go back to this part of the story if you can look at it in the context of other characters that show up later in the series (I say, having not caught up to the episode in the anime).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not done with malice but yeah when you play hard into psychosexual horror tropes for an arc, it turns out to be pretty easy to make a negatively stereotyped trans character

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno: Like, you can make a case that there's something deeply wrong with her (kinda spoilery but I actually recall Ienaga properly identifying as female in the manga?), but I think the point is less that Ienaga's creepy because of being a transwoman and more that she's very... um, Mengele-esque about her methods.

Mamiko Noto as Inkarmat is something I never knew I wanted, btw. :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crain posted:

It's just based on HHHolmes and his murder hotel.

They didn't try to blame Ienaga's crimes on them being trans, if anything the focus is on their obsession with Chinese medicine as the reason they murder people (to eat the parts they want to "absorb").

It's still tied into wanting to change her body, though...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Wark Say posted:

I think the point is less that Ienaga's creepy because of being a transwoman and more that she's very... um, Mengele-esque about her methods.

This is true, and seems to be what Noda intended - it's just that the stuff she's doing is to make herself more youthful/attractive as a woman is tied in with her crimes so it definitely stings.

I think the manga fandom doesn't necessarily forget that Ienaga's characterization is problematic but we do kinda work around it as with a few other things in the series where you're like 'oh gosh, Noda, you... didn't really handle that right and should have known better...' Ienaga's a fan favorite with a lot of people.

Don't want to excuse it or say that no one should be upset, because I was certainly upset when I got to this point. There are about four things I generally warn my friends about when they start this series because superficially it seems like funtimes bear stuff: the Ienaga bit is one, then animal violence (even if it's hunting/preparing, I think it's shocking to some) and two events later in the series that I can hide in spoilers - the first we will not be seeing for a while, the second is coming sooner: Farther away: guy is into bestiality and in manga we see him having sex with animals, characters are rightfully appalled by this but it's still...there Coming up sooner: gay couple that are sorta slapstick-y and I don't think he meant for it to be ha ha gay people but it unfortunately comes across that way in a manga without a lot of other emphatically, obviously gay characters as opposed to uh, maybe coded ones if you want to talk like that?

If anyone ever needs specific spoiler info like this for the series or episodes it's always cool to ask, if folks make fun of you for asking that kinda stuff they're jerks :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean yeah, it could've been handled way better, but I think the anime did a slightly better job, all in all. It also helps that Sayaka Oohara knocked it out of the park as Ienaga.

I had my misgivings with this adaptation, what with the CG bears, but goddammit, you can't help but to get hyped up when crazy poo poo keeps happening. Ushiyama and his crazy Judo feats never get old.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Silver2195 posted:

It's still tied into wanting to change her body, though...

Like others are saying, I feel like the "menacing" aspect is focused on her methods and not on her desire.

Plus it's not like she's only going for the "perfect" female body, but some amorphous idea of peak physical and aesthetic being (hence wanting take out Ushiyama for his, ahem, power).

EDIT: That said I can see how it's not a great characterization, I just don't believe there's active malice behind it, just a misstep.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Ienaga isn't trans, it's just a disguise

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh, for real? thanks noda gaku

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Ienaga is H.H. Holmes

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Ienaga isn't trans, it's just a disguise

Truly she is dedicated to her disguise, maintaining it amongst people who know who she is and having a straight boyfriend who refers to her as a woman.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

Truly she is dedicated to her disguise, maintaining it amongst people who know who she is and having a straight boyfriend who refers to her as a woman.

it's been awhile since I read the manga

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
anyway the ed gein part is going to be wild

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 25, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dick-sensei is a vastly inferior title compared to Professor Penis.

They could have at least gone with Doctor Dick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no professor penis, no sale golden kamuy anime. that's my line in the sand

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

no professor penis, no sale golden kamuy anime. that's my line in the sand
:sadwave:

I really hope there's a second season.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Wark Say posted:

:sadwave:

I really hope there's a second season.

There will be. Starting in October!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I really like the comic, and I really like the anime. they're keeping in all the wild stuff so they can CG what they want

I live in canada so I love all the snow and bears and trapping and poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I hate to bring this up again but Ienaga is not trans, the character is a predatory monster

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hey maybe don't double down

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

hey maybe don't double down

Ienaga is the second most horrible monster is a story of monsters

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
tsurumi is the biggest monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sugimoto is almost on the same poo poo as tsurumi, but asirpa keeps him from murdering