Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How is this anime so consistently strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Good source material.

Everything about human skin guy was great. Those outfits. :stare:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love that no one even glances up when he's running around in a bear suit

like he's been such a fixture of public weirdness this is just normal

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/SIN_yamadori/status/1052184614859550725

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to drop this here so I can read it after the episode, gotta catch up on last week too & I'm still not able to stream poo poo reliably :negative:

https://twitter.com/KamuyCentral/status/1056918521727213568

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/sarerunet/status/1067800328177893376

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The way that GK just pings back and forth between weirdo humour and proper drama just takes me for a loop. In a good way.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some real nice art here
https://twitter.com/valoispguf9001/status/1071159172740243456

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
In case people haven't seen it yet, Golden Kamuy is among the featured mangas of the British Museum's newly announced Manga Exhibition:
https://twitter.com/britishmuseum/status/1070250078831566848

There are no spoilers in the Twitter thread, but the exhibition might of course be spoilerific :v:

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 9, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I seriously wish I still lived in London so I can check it out.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I don't know why I hadn't gotten around to this show sooner, but I started it last week and now I'm caught up. It's really good, and I'm actually disappointed I caught up just as it was finishing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just starting watching this after reading the manga. It kicks rear end.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is cool
https://twitter.com/KamuyCentral/status/1118805373073231873

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is indeed really cool. :3:

Also, I hope GK does something similar to other manga and helps spread Ainu to more peeps.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

One of my favourite things about Golden Kamuy is how it shares the culture of an often forgotten ethnic minority and is incredibly sincere in how it explores them. It's very cool and props for it bringing something so important into a mainstream view.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Season 3 comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmUBIw_3yHc

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seems like the Russian speech in the anime is pretty spot on.

https://twitter.com/sashastorylover/status/1313209377046880256 (thread)

Also some real Nivkh people (natives from Sakhalin, besides Ainu and Uilta) seem to have helped with the production as well.

https://twitter.com/KamuyCentral/status/1313160373126586370

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's really loving cool!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I’ll be honest, decades of anime being really weird about speaking english did not prepare me for Tsukishima being this smooth in Russian :shobon: it was really cool.

Subtuna
Dec 30, 2008
We’re getting a wildcat nendo soon

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Comrade Sugimoto.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That sequence was perhaps the greatest yet seen in the show combined with the music.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Banya

Also, there is not enough Shiraishi this season.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It had been a while since an anime got a good laugh out of me but Tanigaki breaking down because he's such a poo poo dancer had me laughing out loud.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Things about to get darker and intense in the next one though.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Ibblebibble posted:

It had been a while since an anime got a good laugh out of me but Tanigaki breaking down because he's such a poo poo dancer had me laughing out loud.

For me it was Tsukishima's flawless choreography whenever Tanigaki was getting chewed out for falling behind.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
in a story full of crazy fuckers ogata is just the worst

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Guess it's time to revive this thread. First episode of season 4 is out and it's just as good as it always was. The sparrows gag got me laughing.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I love this anime so much, shame it doesn't get more recognition.

Manga readers - is this likely to be the last season? I don't think I can wait for season 5 so I might just read the manga if not.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
There's 314 chapters total, and the anime is kind of around chapter 200ish right now, but the anime has cut multiple plotlines from the manga (I wanna say around 45 chapters) and tried to make up for some of it with the OVAs that come with the DVD/BDs. The current story about Sekiya is them playing catch up (it's from around chapters 170 - 175). The real weird one they've cut so far is Koito's backstory, but I assume it'll be animated this season alongside chapter 210.

Can't see this being the last season unless it's 2 - 3x the length of the other seasons, or unless they do a movie? But the cut off point would be very weird for a lead-in to a movie finale.

If you do read the manga, try to find versions done from the published volumes, rather than from the manga magazines. The author retouches the art and adds content in.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've started watching anime this year with my husband and recently caught up to Season 4.

It's incredible. It's constantly astounding in how funny and witty it is, and how it manages to write tense and interesting battles despite being set in a real setting. Every battle feels unique and interesting, which is a joy, considering some animes can give characters unique powers and gently caress it up completely.
Every character is loving great. I think Ogata might be one of my favorites. Such a loving dick.
The worst episode was probably the hotel one, and that was still like a head above every other middling anime ep.
I still chuckle to myself remembering "Immoral Sugimoto" from the circus ep.

Just chef's kiss.

I was kinda terrified of going to season 4 after a short break because life has made me more cynical and it feels like I enjoy stuff less nowadays, but in a few minutes time I was chuckling at the dipshits on screen doing dumb stuff.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Where are you guys watching this? Crunchyroll doesn't appear to have it up for some reason

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Deified Data posted:

Where are you guys watching this? Crunchyroll doesn't appear to have it up for some reason

Crunchyroll has it for me. It's listing it as season 1 episode 37 which may make it a little hard to spot if you were expecting season 2.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Things got really real at the end of the last episode.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

kiminewt posted:

Things got really real at the end of the last episode.

Tsurumi is a real fucker

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I meant the conversation with Asiripa at the end of episode 41, but that's true as well.

I love this show so much but them still doing prisoner-of-the-week sometimes makes me want to wait till the season is over and then watch it all in a row.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asirpa's speech at the end really highlights the tragedy of the Ainu, and any other culture facing repression or extinction. The middle of the episode is mostly a vehicle for her to do director gags, but ultimately it's right. The bawdy comedies deserve to be saved just as much as the more serious stories.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

TBH it touches on relevant subjects more than any anime I've seen. At least more than those that aren't about personal life.

Definitely made me go and research more about Ainu and the other indigenous people in Russia and elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Was the latest episode outsourced? It was the worst looking episode in the entire series.