Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Turns out Shohei Othani is very good at baseball. Please pay your respects here.

He hits 450 ft home runs to dead center (often against Cy Young winners).

https://streamable.com/0gnoo

https://streamable.com/9kl3n

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/04/07/1910998983/1523069649178/asset_2500K.mp4

He throws 100 mph fastballs and can strike out 10 people on 65(!!!!!) pitches.

https://streamable.com/ntd5n

Please come here to pay your respects to the greatest player the major leagues has seen since Babe Ruth. I'm a fan of a rival team in the same division and I have accepted Shohei as my lord and savior - I suggest everyone do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hate that he's on a division rival but thank gently caress he's not a Yankee

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I'm sad he didn't sign with the Jays, but at least they gave it the old college try. Also

Intruder posted:

thank gently caress he's not a Yankee

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
The Angels have two of the greatest players of all time and potentially a third all on the same roster. They still won’t win a single game in October.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Shohei Ohtani has struck out more batters than Chris Sale and has hit more home runs than Aaron Judge.

Until yesterday, he had as many wins and more home runs than the Kansas City Royals.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

I hate that he's on a division rival but thank gently caress he's not a Yankee

:hfive:

Pancakes posted:

The Angels have two of the greatest players of all time and potentially a third all on the same roster. They still won't win a single game in October.

I mean, three really. Albert hasn't really been in that kind of conversation since coming to the AL but remember how amazing he was for 11 years on the Cards. He's still probably one of the top 20 or so best hitters of all time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

No Safe Word posted:

I mean, three really. Albert hasn't really been in that kind of conversation since coming to the AL but remember how amazing he was for 11 years on the Cards. He's still probably one of the top 20 or so best hitters of all time.

I was meaning maybe for Ohtani, it's still early. Albert is going to retire with over 650 home runs, 2000 RBI's and 3000 hits. He's inner-circle HoF.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pancakes posted:

I was meaning maybe for Ohtani, it's still early. Albert is going to retire with over 650 home runs, 2000 RBI's and 3000 hits. He's inner-circle HoF.

Oh well Ohtani is no maybe it says so right in the thread title come on

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sab0921 posted:

Please come here to pay your respects to the greatest player the major leagues has seen since Babe Ruth. I'm a fan of a rival team in the same division and I have accepted Shohei as my lord and savior - I suggest everyone do the same.

F

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with Shohei Ohtani, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, Shohei throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Shohei decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.'

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

He's the reason they can't get to October.

Ohtani will save them from Albert.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ohtani will get shot in the gut in a hotel by a crazy weeaboo and then come back to join the yankees in his 40s.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Ohtani's only competition is Bartolo Colon.

https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/983905366340595713

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani should be hitting every game regardless if he's pitching, the Angels are holding him back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you hit with your pitcher at any point during the game you forfeit your right to a DH for the rest of the game, correct?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

General Dog posted:

If you hit with your pitcher at any point during the game you forfeit your right to a DH for the rest of the game, correct?

correct

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

General Dog posted:

I went to a game several years back where Joe Maddon filled out the lineup card wrong and we ended up with our starting pitcher batting 3rd in an AL game.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

yeah, well Showtani Wotani, let's see him do that no-hit pitching and homer poo poo in the post season when it really amounts to something, alright?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

marioinblack posted:

I went to a game several years back where Joe Maddon filled out the lineup card wrong and we ended up with our starting pitcher batting 3rd in an AL game.

Was this a Cubs away interleague game or a Rays game? Either way is funny to me.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Our fearless leader and future benevolent dictator has done it again. If you have not accepted him into your heart, it is time to repent.

https://streamable.com/ro0kc

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
When I opened that and saw the situation I thought it was going to be his first grandslam... disappointing. still cool

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ohtani is loving unreal, i am so happy he is playing in MLB. Definitely going to try to go to a Sox game when he's in town.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a sever Ohtani fever and it causes me to be very angry at the Angels on days he isn't hitting/pitching.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

General Dog posted:

Yes, also if your DH moves to the field as a defensive substitute (which is why it's almost never the other catcher).

marioinblack posted:

And if you fill out the lineup card wrong and don't officially start the game with one, apparently.

[The DH is, officially, completely optional. There's just virtually never a reason not to use it in a game where it's allowed. The Giants have forsworn a DH once or twice during interleague when Bumgarner was pitching, but it was because their bench was so depleted/bad there was no point in pretending any of them were a better offensive option than Bumgarner.]

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Sab0921 posted:

Our fearless leader and future benevolent dictator has done it again. If you have not accepted him into your heart, it is time to repent.

Hey guys the book on him is tough fastballs on the inner half. He can't catch up to them, trust me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My Android phone has started giving me Shohei Ohtani push notifications.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

I did not know Ohtani was this fast. That's just not fair

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It's alright to get a Shohei shirtzee even if I'm not a fan of the Angels?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

if Ohtani is so good at baseball, why doesn't be play in the greatest division for the greatest team in baseball history?

Checkmate, nerds. :smuggo:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He did strongly considering playing for the Cubs.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

if Ohtani is so good at baseball, why doesn't be play in the greatest division for the greatest team in baseball history?

Checkmate, nerds. :smuggo:

Because the Cardinals are racist.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Big fan of this thread.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

slev posted:

I did not know Ohtani was this fast. That's just not fair

Yeah that's the hidden factor in his greatness- dude has legit 70 or 80 speed. He's unfair, it rules.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

When Sony originally planned to release MLB The Show 18, it was discovered that every control button on the glitched PS4 version caused Ohtani to hit a home run. When asked about this "glitch," Ohtani replied, "That was not a glitch."

Sony saved one copy of the glitched version and presented it to Ohtani. Ohtani gave it to Mike Trout.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
They should just put him on the cover every year and rename it MLB The Sho

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

They should just put him on the cover every year and rename it MLB The Sho

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Would you rather have this dude or Mike Trout if you are starting a new franchise?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Would you rather have this dude or Mike Trout if you are starting a new franchise?

NL franchise, Trout. AL franchise, this dude.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pancakes posted:

NL franchise, Trout. AL franchise, this dude.

Couldn't this dude conceivably play another defensive postion like fielder if he is a great pitcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Couldn't this dude conceivably play another defensive postion like fielder if he is a great pitcher?

He hasn't played the outfield in years. And there's only one outfielder/pitcher combination in my heart, even if it was years removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cSgDflCF98

• Locked thread