Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Archer666 posted:

JonIM posted his GOTY list for 2019. No real big surprise entries or anything, but still some good games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FqAObPIYWo

wow, still refusing to put vanquish on a goty list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Were the space dinosaurs the one that used drone ships powered by the souls of captured populations because it was against their religion to die anywhere but their homeworld and nearby consecrated worlds?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
That's the ones.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Outer Worlds fucks and my only big complaint is that I want more of it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CmdrKing posted:

God, the space dinosaur book was probably in the upper quarter of all EU novels come to think of it.

(not entirely sure what the space dwarves or cyborg sith are though)

They were a Marvel comic I believe. It was the one where Shira Brie came back as the Cyborg Dark Jedi Lumiya.

The space elves were the Nagai except they all dressed like Lobo from DC comics and they fought against the space techno dwarfs called the Tof.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Ah, of course, 90s comics, by biggest weakness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best EU story (at least it's my favourite) is when the Empire gets fed up with the Sepan Civil War between the Dimoks and the Ripoblus political factions, so they drop a fleet into the system, kidnap the children of the warring leaderships and then force both sides to sign a peace agreement at gunpoint.

Yeah, make of that what you will but I found it hilarious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Were the space dinosaurs the one that used drone ships powered by the souls of captured populations because it was against their religion to die anywhere but their homeworld and nearby consecrated worlds?

And unlike other EU things I don't think they're ever mentioned again.

It does have one kinda neat scene where Anakin's Force ghost visits Leia and she tells him to go screw because one good act at the end doesn't redeem a jillion other things, and this was before we knew about the kid-murdering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

And unlike other EU things I don't think they're ever mentioned again.

It does have one kinda neat scene where Anakin's Force ghost visits Leia and she tells him to go screw because one good act at the end doesn't redeem a jillion other things, and this was before we knew about the kid-murdering.

They did show up again in New Jedi Order where they had fallen into a revolution where the slave caste mini dinosaurs were rising up against the dominant velociraptors and still managed to hold off a Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

Man could you imagine if the bdsm Hellraiser knockoffs had been the enemy in the sequel trilogy?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Made a video about Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhaKc61LOpI

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Outer Worlds is a pathetic game, a worse version of Fallout: New Vegas with rancid centrist politics and badly written companions. Disco Elysium is the only RPG deserving of your love in 2019.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher 3 deserves your love because after New Vegas it's the best RPG of all years.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

The Outer Worlds is a pathetic game, a worse version of Fallout: New Vegas with rancid centrist politics and badly written companions. Disco Elysium is the only RPG deserving of your love in 2019.

The 'big moral decision' on the first planet was so insultingly shallow that it soured me completely on outer worlds. least i only had to pay a buck to try it on gamepass.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SunAndSpring posted:

I know people are comparing it to New Vegas because both are by obsidian, but I found it to be more closely related to Mass Effect both in structure and narrative.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best EU story (at least it's my favourite) is when the Empire gets fed up with the Sepan Civil War between the Dimoks and the Ripoblus political factions, so they drop a fleet into the system, kidnap the children of the warring leaderships and then force both sides to sign a peace agreement at gunpoint.

Yeah, make of that what you will but I found it hilarious.

The Empire starts by thwarting raids from both sides on each other so as not to show favoritism, but this leads to both factions teaming up to drive them out. The Empire captures shuttles at what they thought was a meeting between the leaders, but turns out to be an exchange of their children as hostages. The conflict ends when the combined fleets of both factions are defeated during an attempt to stop an Imperial resupply.

Also, completing the secondary objectives in TIE Fighter reveals that Admiral Haarkov, the guy sent to pacify the system, had a side hustle selling weapons to both sides.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 23, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hel posted:

I know people are comparing it to New Vegas because both are by obsidian, but I found it to be more closely related to Mass Effect both in structure and narrative.

It compares really badly to the good mass effects too because the character writing in Outer Worlds is garbage and the story is barely there while the mass effects (excluding 3) were pulpy fun space adventures with cool party members

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Outer Worlds posits the existence of a capitalist structure in which the average worker is literal property of a corporation to be distributed across a solar system as they see fit with no regards to familial bonds and shows that the lives of everyone are in peril because the corporations have so poorly educated everyone that there are no scientists to deal with the problem of Earth's plant matter not being able to adequately adapt to new planets, and then asks you to please be sympathetic because slavery is all the pathetic serfs of Spacer's Choice know.

I mean, seriously, you ever play a RPG and you run into a situation where the devs clearly only support one side of an argument and all your options are "that's bad"? This isn't a bad thing necessarily, since usually this comes up in regards to, say, the player character being presented with something unquestionably bad such as slavery, rape, child murder, or what have you; it's fine to not want to let some dickhead who bought your game choose the ability to be a plantation owner or whatever. The Outer Worlds does this to a woman who has broken free of the slave factory she's working at to make a new commune where people are adequately fed due to a technique she discovered (it's recycling corpses into the fertilizer, which is yucky but it keeps people alive). All your options responding to her are completely contemptuous for some weird reason because the devs hated this character and assumed no one would like her even though she has literally broken free of slavery and given others a better and independent life outside the terrible system shown. The closest you can get to agreeing with her plan to get more power for her settlement is "I'll think about it," and the ending goes, "Well, she was a big meanie and rejected too many people for not being ideologically pure, you're a big jerk, player :("

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr Christmas posted:

The Empire starts by thwarting raids from both sides on each other so as not to show favoritism, but this leads to both factions teaming up to drive them out. The Empire captures shuttles at what they thought was a meeting between the leaders, but turns out to be an exchange of their children as hostages. The conflict ends when the combined fleets of both factions are defeated during an attempt to stop an Imperial resupply.

Also, completing the secondary objectives in TIE Fighter reveals that Admiral Haarkov, the guy sent to pacify the system, had a side hustle selling weapons to both sides.

The Sepan Civil War and the subsequent rebellion by Harkov's traitors are some of the best campaigns in that game with a lot of sneaky plots going for for what is a straightforward space sim. But like I said, the Empire kicking the crap out of Space Republicans and Space Democrats and subjugating Space USA is hilarious to me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh my god I didn’t get get that pun until just now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The 'big moral decision' on the first planet was so insultingly shallow that it soured me completely on outer worlds. least i only had to pay a buck to try it on gamepass.

I mean it’s not anymore shallow than the stuff in goodsprings in new vegas. It actually did make me think about it for a little while even if it’s fairly obvious

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t care what JJ Abrams says, Snoke and Palpatine were roommates in college, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

watho posted:

I mean it’s not anymore shallow than the stuff in goodsprings in new vegas. It actually did make me think about it for a little while even if it’s fairly obvious

What did it make you think about exactly? Not being snide here, I'm genuinely curious.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

watho posted:

I didn't think it was as shallow as people make it out to be. The characters in-game that you meet mostly ask you to make the "compromise" decision, that's true. But the game is pretty clear that A) the factory is not sustainable because they are canning things that aren't fish to meet quotas and the power plant is unstable and will not be able to run for much longer.

The game also shows you that B) no help will ever come from Spacer's Choice HQ because they reprogrammed the security bots to kill all their plant workers to profit off the insurance fraud. The whole operation on Edgewater has already been written off..

You can agree with the characters that ask you to compromise, and those characters will be happy with you for doing that because they want to maintain the only system they've ever known. But the game is pretty clear that if you force everyone to work for the company, they have no possible future.

That's not to say I think the game is that great or anything. I felt like that intro conflict dragged on way too long and was so small-scale that it killed the feeling of space adventure.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I didn't mind the wishy-washy nature of the Outer Worlds' plot until Monarch, when the game more or less stated "these revolutionaries trying to tear down the corporate structure need to calm down."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What did it make you think about exactly? Not being snide here, I'm genuinely curious.

If such an abrupt transition of power to an essentially anarcho-syndicalist society that would for sure lead to the loss of several lives, I decided that it was worth it but it didn’t feel as obviously good as many of the decisions in new vegas did to me

rudecyrus posted:

I didn't mind the wishy-washy nature of the Outer Worlds' plot until Monarch, when the game more or less stated "these revolutionaries trying to tear down the corporate structure need to calm down."

Do you mean the iconoclasts? Because the game portrays them as completely valid the only people who don’t think so has something to gain from it. Like the MSI side of the conflict is portrayed as wishy-washy centrists who would rather join the board than tear it down

watho fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 23, 2019

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

SunAndSpring posted:

The Outer Worlds posits the existence of a capitalist structure in which the average worker is literal property of a corporation to be distributed across a solar system as they see fit with no regards to familial bonds and shows that the lives of everyone are in peril because the corporations have so poorly educated everyone that there are no scientists to deal with the problem of Earth's plant matter not being able to adequately adapt to new planets, and then asks you to please be sympathetic because slavery is all the pathetic serfs of Spacer's Choice know.

I mean, seriously, you ever play a RPG and you run into a situation where the devs clearly only support one side of an argument and all your options are "that's bad"? This isn't a bad thing necessarily, since usually this comes up in regards to, say, the player character being presented with something unquestionably bad such as slavery, rape, child murder, or what have you; it's fine to not want to let some dickhead who bought your game choose the ability to be a plantation owner or whatever. The Outer Worlds does this to a woman who has broken free of the slave factory she's working at to make a new commune where people are adequately fed due to a technique she discovered (it's recycling corpses into the fertilizer, which is yucky but it keeps people alive). All your options responding to her are completely contemptuous for some weird reason because the devs hated this character and assumed no one would like her even though she has literally broken free of slavery and given others a better and independent life outside the terrible system shown. The closest you can get to agreeing with her plan to get more power for her settlement is "I'll think about it," and the ending goes, "Well, she was a big meanie and rejected too many people for not being ideologically pure, you're a big jerk, player :("

Outer Worlds Spoilers
Did you somehow miss the fact that the game emphatically states, multiple times, that the lady is not just doing it out of high-minded idealism but also out of an active vendetta against the leader of Edgewater, because of the traumatic loss of her daughter? Or that she will actively refuse to take in Edgewater refugees who do not fully renounce their previous allegiance? Sure, you can't role play the credulous fool who takes everything at face value and exalt her as some kind of savior because the game's text clearly goes for the same "there are no winning systems or good guys, only people doing the best they can to get by and people who use that for their own ends" angle which also pervaded New Vegas.

I've seen this criticism multiple times and I feel like it's such a willingly dense way of looking at it. It's just being angry that the writers didn't validate your politics of choice.

The one valid criticism I can derive from that is something others have said more generally of the game: that the role playing aspect is considerably weaker than in FN:V and especially weaker compared to Disco Elysium, which does let you be that kind of character (while also letting you be a straight up fascist, centrist, or neoliberal and even has a quest requiring you to integrate racist/eugenicist theories).

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

All Grampa Palpy's Star Destroyers should have been staffed by Death Troopers and someone should have dropped an explicit reference to Darth Scabrous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll have you know that Death Troopers in Disney Canon aren't zombies anymore. They're just those black armored dickheads who sound like Michael Winslow doing radio noises.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_D-HPjmacY

Quinton had pretty much the same experience I did where the opening scene was so stupid it made me totally detached from the rest.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My favorite story is when IG-88 plots galactic domination by uploading himself to the Death Star...right as Lando & co. blow it up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IG-11 has low-key been a great addition to The Mandalorian. He's got such a janky way of moving but you can suddenly realize why an IG droid is so dangerous

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll have you know that Death Troopers in Disney Canon aren't zombies anymore. They're just those black armored dickheads who sound like Michael Winslow doing radio noises.

Battlefront II with Iden and everything are canon, aren't they?

I remember that game ending that it teased Iden and one of her guys were Rey's parents. Oh, for fun.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Pants Donkey posted:

My favorite story is when IG-88 plots galactic domination by uploading himself to the Death Star...right as Lando & co. blow it up.

Mine, too. Mainly because I distinctly remember a part at the end where he’s revelling in his success by shutting doors on Palpy as he’s walking about the Death Star.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Canon Death Troopers are the black armored troopers from rogue one, and are essentially Blackhole Stormtroopers from the EU. Iden and her team in Battlefront 2 are black ops and closer to the EU Storm Commandos.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XnKr0lvDw

the greatest christmas gift: waluigi finally getting the respect he deserves

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No one put that much thought into the outer worlds. It is a game with no effort or intention behind it, and it is a dull, plodding mess because of it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

No one put that much thought into the outer worlds. It is a game with no effort or intention behind it, and it is a dull, plodding mess because of it.

I understand not liking the game but what the gently caress is this?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

watho posted:

I understand not liking the game but what the gently caress is this?

this is your brain.

this is your brain on chapo trap house.

any questions?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The writing in Outer worlds is absolutely dull plodding mess that has so little to say about anything it might as well not exist

it's about on the same level as fallout 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FoldableHuman posted:

All Grampa Palpy's Star Destroyers should have been staffed by Death Troopers and someone should have dropped an explicit reference to Darth Scabrous.

I would have the Sith Troopers be non-force-wielding clones of Palpatine or something and play up the conflict between the First and Final Order factions.

I really wish they would have done more with Finn and the whole "raised from being a child soldier/slave" background to him and the First Order stormtroopers. Having the defectors on the moon of Endor was a blessing and they hint at Pryde calling up kidnapping operations to man all these Star Destroyers, but I wanted Finn leading a stormtrooper rebellion. I mean, there's a pointed commentary in the bad guys are literally enslaving the galaxy's youth and it's up to them to free themselves that should have been expanded on (TLJ does this slightly, with the stable slaves being the only people in Canto Bight to help Rose and Finn for free), but JJ gotta JJ.