Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Remember that Empress Theresa episode of Down The Rabbit Hole? This in-depth review of the actual book popped up on my recommendations yesterday and it's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JopR-biL0I4

It's long (and this part only covers the background and first 4 chapters) but given the insanity/inanity of the book I think it's justified. It looks like this channel also has reviews of Onision's books which are especially :yikes: in light of the recent drama between him and Chris Hansen (yes, that Chris Hansen... and for the reasons you're thinking).

Also, Lindsay Ellis has caught up to the "Dark Nella" saga on her secondary channel for her older videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHbAKerBCeM

Ironically I now have nostalgia for them, and as far as the CA-era "storylines" go this one is (as usual for Lindsay) a step above the rest of her peers.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr.Radar posted:

Remember that Empress Theresa episode of Down The Rabbit Hole? This in-depth review of the actual book popped up on my recommendations yesterday and it's pretty good:

It's long (and this part only covers the background and first 4 chapters) but given the insanity/inanity of the book I think it's justified. It looks like this channel also has reviews of Onision's books which are especially :yikes: in light of the recent drama between him and Chris Hansen (yes, that Chris Hansen... and for the reasons you're thinking).

Also, Lindsay Ellis has been reuploading the "Dark Nella" saga to her secondary channel:

Ironically I now have nostalgia for them, and as far as the CA-era "storylines" go this one is (as usual for Lindsay) a step above the rest of her peers.

yeah thats a good video. its weirdly refreshing to see an out and out mary sue character because i forgot how amusingly/annoyingly awful the real things were.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like alot of the ride history stuff gets old after awhile. i watched a bunch of defunctland and others on different rides and they kinda all sound the same after awhile. interesting stuff though.

The newest one is a real pivot for him, though I have admittedly not been keeping up with this last seasons of his stuff since, like you said, I kinda got the gist of it most of the time, but this last one is a really fun story that just twists right into the heavier stuff with interviews, a cast of characters, and the whole like.

It was really well-done, even if I do have a soft spot for the subject matter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zvahl posted:

The newest one is a real pivot for him, though I have admittedly not been keeping up with this last seasons of his stuff since, like you said, I kinda got the gist of it most of the time, but this last one is a really fun story that just twists right into the heavier stuff with interviews, a cast of characters, and the whole like.

It was really well-done, even if I do have a soft spot for the subject matter.

yeah i watched it this morning. its honestly interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArW6Paq4CDI

matt talks about drake and the 99 dragons. it sounds like it was the mary sue passion project of one dude and than turned into a emperor has no clothes story.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well Jojo Rabbit just came out, which Brooks himself came out and said was great. So even then, there's still movies in that vein coming out.

Ooh, fair. I am terrible at watching films in the cinema, so I'm really not someone to talk about box office success per se. Good to know it has the Brooks endorsement, too. Cheers!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jojo Rabbit is really good if a bit disappointing that it gets a bit toothless.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Jojo Rabbit is really good if a bit disappointing that it gets a bit toothless.

yeah. i heard its just kinda ok. like its not bad and it has some great momements but it kinda doesnt do enough with its premise.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mr.Radar posted:

Also, Lindsay Ellis has caught up to the "Dark Nella" saga on her secondary channel for her older videos:

Knudsen also did a read-aloud of publicly-available chapters of Empress Theresa, and it's the only time I've ever heard him lose his cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i heard its just kinda ok. like its not bad and it has some great momements but it kinda doesnt do enough with its premise.
I kind of want to know what the people you've been hearing from think its premise is.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mr.Radar posted:

It looks like this channel also has reviews of Onision's books which are especially :yikes: in light of the recent drama between him and Chris Hansen (yes, that Chris Hansen... and for the reasons you're thinking).

man quinton reviews really was right when he called onision a future inmate

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUUmdcZFB7c

The Double Toasted guys look at Tammy and the T. Rex.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I kind of want to know what the people you've been hearing from think its premise is.

a weird dark comedy about a kid in nazi germany who slowly picks humanity over nazi bullshit because of a crush on a hidden jewish girl.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's good fun but don't expect it to make some kind of statement you didn't already know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUUmdcZFB7c

The Double Toasted guys look at Tammy and the T. Rex.

I swear I think I successfully bury all memory of Tammy and the T-Rex and then just when I thought I was out, they pull me back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whoa! What the? poo poo! Goddamn! A Mandalore video? Whoa! poo poo! A playable Gothic Remake teaser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTb8ILmrZFA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

It's good fun but don't expect it to make some kind of statement you didn't already know.

yeah. i didnt hear it was bad. i was just kinda expecting a darker comedy i guess.

Alaois posted:

Whoa! What the? poo poo! Goddamn! A Mandalore video? Whoa! poo poo! A playable Gothic Remake teaser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTb8ILmrZFA

cool. hope they make a full thing. "come on my pretty"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dan Bell exploring the Blue Hen Mall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYBhmteJDE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not Star Wars or Anime but since this is just a chat thread I wanted to bring up things I thought were weird.

FreddieW went on the Funhaus podcast and brought up the Zyborune Clock and that picture he bought for 5,100$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViNLUy4wLw

Also Quinn Curio's streaming Don't Starve with Oliver's Piece (never heard of them) & DaftPina which shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9c-bGJchg

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I had no idea they were making a Gothic remake. That game's something else. It does reward you a whole heck of a lot of poking and prodding at the systems and thinking outside the box. It's not designed that way but the way all the systems lined up allowed you to get pretty creative, especially early on when you're at the bottom of the food chain. You really did have to pay protection when you got shook down or else they just beat your rear end and took all of what you had.

Gothic 1 and 2 are really special in that way. Janky as all heck but satisfying to play when you master that jank. The world they created is really good too. I hope they listen to feedback and try to do the first game justice. Unfortunately it's a niche Eurojank RPG so a lot of the audience are alt-right or alt-right adjacent who probably complain about "SJWs" and poo poo like that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So fun thing, I'm from delaware, and a couple years ago, I spent about 8 months on unemployment. One of the rules of Delaware unemployment is that if you're in a "high risk" field, you need to go to a seminar once a week where somebody basically yells at you for a half hour for being an unemployed leech shitstain before making you pass around newspaper clippings of increasingly demeaning job postings.

At the time, the delaware unemployment office was in the blue hen mall, which was already at the state it basically is in this video. So imagine that surreal experience, of walking through the hollowed out halls of retail purgatory, a monument to the self-destructing economy, so someone can insult you for not being able to find work.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViNLUy4wLw

Freddy Wong joins the Dude Soup Podcast on Funhaus to discuss the Zybourne Clock.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, Todd in the Shadows interview on Billboard:

https://twitter.com/KrinSyn/status/1220448461012787200

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Aw man I use to love Dan Bell until I went to his twitter and saw him creepily hitting on his fans and whining about "SJWs" :barf:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The thing about that Gothic teaser is that the graphics are excellent for a eurojank game and modern combat will inevitably be better than the original. It's just that the player character is a complete nonce who runs his mouth of like a British Rick and Morty fan. Also if he's not supposed to be a blank avatar then why the gently caress doesn't he have a name?

I have no nostalgia for Gothic because the controls sucked, the first game is notoriously difficult to run on modern hardware, and the developers never really evolved from the formula.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jamie Faith posted:

Aw man I use to love Dan Bell until I went to his twitter and saw him creepily hitting on his fans and whining about "SJWs" :barf:

That's unfortunate and I was not aware (I don't use twitter for any reason), but there's none of that in the dead mall video at least.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Captain Invictus posted:

I got ogre battle 64 used at a gamestop and then when I went to play it my nintendo 64 didn't work and then I sold ogre battle 64

that's my ogre battle 64 story

Is this the same copy I bought from you several years ago? The game worked fine, A+, would buy again

That's my Ogre Battle 64 story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Angered Joseph's Top 15 Gaming Controversies of 2019

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

why is the angry joe in space all the time? has he been banished due to his anger?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm think the lore reason is the same as the real life reason: it sounded cool and he's not seen a reason to change it since.

Or it's a reference to Portal the tv series, that reviewed video games, mostly MMOs, on Tech TV. They were on a space station as well.

But probably the first one.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
It also dates back to the early days of Channel Awesome when everyone was expected to have a "character" with some kind of gimmick. I don't think Joe had actually referenced the fact that his backgrounds are supposed to be a space station orbiting the Earth, or his clone army, or his lightning powers, etc. in years (outside of cameos on Linkara's show) and only keeps around the aesthetic elements that look cool and/or he's too busy/lazy to replace.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So irate gamer has a second channel called "puppet steve" in which he reviews toys and crap as a minecraft puppet. It's pretty unbearable.

In a recent video, James Rolfe did a guest voice as Ken from street fighter! Never thought I'd see the day; I guess they buried the hatchet.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So irate gamer has a second channel called "puppet steve" in which he reviews toys and crap as a minecraft puppet. It's pretty unbearable.

Wait, he's still around?!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
He hasn't done any game reviews in a long time, as far as I know the only youtube stuff he does now is the puppet steve thing. He is also a hardcore ghost hunter claiming to have invented a new science for detecting ghosts, and has accused the stars of ghost hunting reality tv shows of stealing his work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The thing about that Gothic teaser is that the graphics are excellent for a eurojank game and modern combat will inevitably be better than the original. It's just that the player character is a complete nonce who runs his mouth of like a British Rick and Morty fan. Also if he's not supposed to be a blank avatar then why the gently caress doesn't he have a name?

I have no nostalgia for Gothic because the controls sucked, the first game is notoriously difficult to run on modern hardware, and the developers never really evolved from the formula.

Are you... sure you're using that word right? :stare:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Darth Walrus posted:

Are you... sure you're using that word right? :stare:

He's also a slot-badger, a two-pin DIN plug, a bent ref, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, a fence foal, a shrub rocketeer...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

nonce means pedophile

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
what did you not play the 'stay 500 yards away from the school at all times' side quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He's also a slot-badger, a two-pin DIN plug, a bent ref, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, a fence foal, a shrub rocketeer...

You're thinking of Robert Elms.