Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

TLJ was bad, but there were a couple points I had to concede so decent video I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TLJ is good but like all better Brand movies it's mostly a rec to watch the director's movies not chained to the Disney machine and their Star Wars Canon and Plot Committee.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when someone asked me what i thought of it i said "it was definitely directed by a guy who put unnecessary telekinesis in his time traveling hitmen movie".

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 2, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TLJ has a yo momma joke and is thus irredeemable.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Taintrunner posted:

the most reasonable take

Also I liked The Cosmonaut Variety Show's analysis of TLJ quite a bit even though I disagree with small bits of it. Would highly recommend if you want something more focused on the movie on its own merits than the crying of meme nazis on the internet.

Edit: link to video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3_W4GRb44

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 2, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

Jeez, a lot of people put out stuff on TLJ recently.

Lindsay has one out for patrons that's kind of about TLJ but moreso about fascploitation in the SW franchise.

It's good, you plebs will be able to watch it, too, in a couple of day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

christ they have gone even lower then expected. I am kinda saddened that i ever found him funny.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lindsay has one out for patrons that's kind of about TLJ but moreso about fascploitation in the SW franchise.

It's good, you plebs will be able to watch it, too, in a couple of day.

I think Tie Fighter did that more then the movies ever did. its fun to play as the baddies. yeah no poo poo the empire is big dumb evil thing. and the first order is a even dumber version of it.

I like his stuff alot.

Taintrunner posted:

it wasnt even a yo momma joke. it was basicaly " ok ill talk to you mom instead" type thing. not funny either way but idk.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Usually when one of these big tentpole films is so divisive online I can understand why. Something like Batman V Superman spawning long twitters fights I can get. But when I see the same happen with The Last Jedi, I'm so confused.

I went to see it, and thought, "Yeah, that was a Star Wars movie. Some of the jokes seemed out of place, a little weirdly paced and structured, but other than that it was pretty good" Like, it seemed like a relatively safe movie, not Force Awakens safe, but safe. Then I look online and hundreds of tiny battles had broken out over it. It seems odd to me even by hyperbolic internet standards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Conal Cochran posted:

Usually when one of these big tentpole films is so divisive online I can understand why. Something like Batman V Superman spawning long twitters fights I can get. But when I see the same happen with The Last Jedi, I'm so confused.

I went to see it, and thought, "Yeah, that was a Star Wars movie. Some of the jokes seemed out of place, a little weirdly paced and structured, but other than that it was pretty good" Like, it seemed like a relatively safe movie, not Force Awakens safe, but safe. Then I look online and hundreds of tiny battles had broken out over it. It seems odd to me even by hyperbolic internet standards.

i thought it was flawed in various ways but it wasnt that bad. i dont get the full hate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TLJ, for all its flaws, was about as good as Star Wars is ever going to be under the Mouse's thumb, and the dawning realization of this after literal decades of baying for the blood of George Lucas and celebrating the Disney purchase as Star Wars "being saved" is what has broken people's brains about it so hard.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

TLJ, for all its flaws, was about as good as Star Wars is ever going to be under the Mouse's thumb, and the dawning realization of this after literal decades of baying for the blood of George Lucas and celebrating the Disney purchase as Star Wars "being saved" is what has broken people's brains about it so hard.

Disney buying Star Wars was Star Wars "being saved," though. The franchise had been a dumpster fire for many years before that sale went through with the sole exception of the CG Clone Wars cartoon, and that's including attendant media like games and novels.

You say "this is the best that Star Wars is going to be under the Mouse," as if there was some better alternative.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I've said it before and I'll do so again: I actually want the Angry White Male Nerds to get their ardent wish for a brand new George Lucas-helmed and written Star Wars movie because the "NOT LIKE THIS!!!! :qq:" meltdowns it produces will be delicious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Interesting.

https://twitter.com/NonTrotski/status/1002654854345580544

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s the do-what-you-love exploitation philosophy taken to one logical conclusion. The system is run by people who make money from people doing the creative work for free, and their only motivation is to get as many people producing as furiously as possible. It’s basically the same model as those door-to-door knife companies. No matter how big you get, there’s no security and it’s all up to you to stay.

All that unmediated contact with a viewing public (not just fans, which is probably stressful on its own) can’t be great either. Was it Contrapoints who said something like “all the disadvantages of celebrity with none of the benefits”? If you get even moderately known you get hundreds of stalkers who have almost total access to your daily life. At least one person has been murdered, by a patreon subscriber no less.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought it was flawed in various ways but it wasnt that bad. i dont get the full hate.

It's insane and sadly I think a whole lot of it is driven by "a purple haired lady yelled at a man and that made me feel bad deep inside"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

A lotta geeks imprinted on Star Wars in their childhood, hardcore. It was a fun escape into a world of laser swords and space sorcery and cool action and pew pew lasers and neat ships, where the good guys win and the bad guys lose and everything feels awesome. Of course, they wanted more. Books and video games kind of helped, but couldn't capture the sheer escapism of the action on the screen with the special effects and the John Williams score.

Then, Disney, the makers of childhood dreams and magic got hold of it. Finally, they thought, I will be taken back to that sacred childhood place, where everything is Star Wars and nothing hurts.

Basically, a bunch of dudes wanted the new Star Wars to give them the exact same childhood magic that the old Star Wars did. And inevitably, that was impossible, not just because the new Star Wars is made from modern sensibilities, rather than those of 20-30 years ago, but because nothing could possibly live up to the childhood ideal, simply because time has robbed us all of that special kind of idiocy innocence where movies can be truly magical and you just accept all the awesome uncritically.

It's not that they wanted the OT and didn't get it, it's that they wanted the version of the OT that lives in their childhood memories. No film could possibly give them that, but they don't realize it, so they try to rationalize the hurt they feel, and the answer is "It's because the movie makers hosed it up somehow." Whether that be because Canto Bight was kind of weirdly paced, or because Luke Skywalker Would Never Do That, or because Snoke was totally supposed to be the big cool bad guy, or just because there were womz doing things, or even just "It just sucked."

The reasons don't matter much, since I think it ultimately boils down to "I expected to recapture Childhood Wonder, and was disappointed, and I'm not ready to accept that Childhood Wonder has flown the coop long ago and is never coming back."

I thought it was a flawed movie, and I agree with a lot of the criticisms that aren't coming from bigotry, but I liked it a lot and really enjoyed the way they handled Luke and also Kylo Ren and Rey's stuff. Also that teamup lightsaber fight was kickass.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puppy Time posted:

I thought it was a flawed movie, and I agree with a lot of the criticisms that aren't coming from bigotry, but I liked it a lot and really enjoyed the way they handled Luke and also Kylo Ren and Rey's stuff. Also that teamup lightsaber fight was kickass.

Yeah that part was really cool, when that bad guy in red closest to the screen had a direct opening to slash Rey right in the back, and he realizes the choreography is hosed up, so he intentionally adjusts to whiff his swing with the staff so he can go down like a common mook, and it somehow made it into the final cut of the film that was released in theaters. I really stood up and cheered and was blown away by Rey's inherent ability in the force to deflect blows by sheer force of thought, it really made me invested in that character's fate.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hey, thanks for replying. I’ve got a long list of ideas for videos, and they’re all things I’m interested in, so I’m not chasing any trends or bandwagons or anything. Making a decent income out of these videos would be great but I’m certainly not banking on it - I’m currently caring for my mother with lung cancer, which emotional concerns aside leaves me with a lot of downtime. My career was at a bit of an impasse anyway, so I thought I’d give this a go. If nothing else learning video production skills will probably be useful.

Anyway, I’m mainly looking for technical advice - I at least need to buy a microphone that is hopefully a good compromise between quality and cost. I need to find out what the best editing program to use is, and hopefully some tutorials on how to use it, preferably with a focus on making this kind of video essay. Some kind of more general tips on how to structure essays and so on would be cool too. If anyone has any recommendations for this kind of stuff they’d be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have the standard "as little as I can get away with" budget, the Blue Yeti is actually a pretty good intersection of quality and price since there's so many on the second hand market. It's not amazing (which is why there's so many on the second hand market) but it's good enough, and it's super popular so there's a million and one tutorials out there on just about any problem or quirk that could ever crop up with one. Better setups don't really start to pay off until you're in the $300 range because you need both a good mic and a good interface. (The Yeti is basically a decent mic and a mediocre interface.) For the overwhelming majority of people starting out issues like room noise and mic technique are going to make a far greater impact on quality than the hardware limitations of the Yeti.

For editing software, I have esoteric recommendations.

If you have iMovie or Windows Movie Maker you should definitely use them until you hate them, which probably won't take long.

From there I'd recommend jumping into the deep end with Da Vinci Resolve. It's free, but it's also about as dense as a brick made out of a bunch smaller, denser bricks. Still, there's lots of tutorials out there, just not a whole ton that are YouTube-creator focused, so it tends to fly under the radar for that crowd. That said it's hardly insurmountable and includes a full-suite audio workstation, so you don't need to screw around with Audacity.

Edit: yes, I sat with this post open all day.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

Assuming you have the standard "as little as I can get away with" budget, the Blue Yeti is actually a pretty good intersection of quality and price since there's so many on the second hand market. It's not amazing (which is why there's so many on the second hand market) but it's good enough, and it's super popular so there's a million and one tutorials out there on just about any problem or quirk that could ever crop up with one. Better setups don't really start to pay off until you're in the $300 range because you need both a good mic and a good interface. (The Yeti is basically a decent mic and a mediocre interface.) For the overwhelming majority of people starting out issues like room noise and mic technique are going to make a far greater impact on quality than the hardware limitations of the Yeti.

For editing software, I have esoteric recommendations.

If you have iMovie or Windows Movie Maker you should definitely use them until you hate them, which probably won't take long.

From there I'd recommend jumping into the deep end with Da Vinci Resolve. It's free, but it's also about as dense as a brick made out of a bunch smaller, denser bricks. Still, there's lots of tutorials out there, just not a whole ton that are YouTube-creator focused, so it tends to fly under the radar for that crowd. That said it's hardly insurmountable and includes a full-suite audio workstation, so you don't need to screw around with Audacity.

Edit: yes, I sat with this post open all day.

What about the Blue Snowball? That's the one I have, and it seems like it can barely pick up my voice unless I'm right next to it. I tried using Voicemeeter to try and make it sound better, but it still did no good.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

What about the Blue Snowball? That's the one I have, and it seems like it can barely pick up my voice unless I'm right next to it. I tried using Voicemeeter to try and make it sound better, but it still did no good.

The Snowball's ideal range is 4-6 inches, which isn't all that convenient given the design, but is typical for its intended use.

As far as troubleshooting it, Windows actually has a 'hidden' input volume setting that's the most likely culprit for a USB mic being super quiet. In your audio settings go through both the Recording tab and the Properties for the mic itself, checking both Levels and Custom.

That said these problems with the Snowball aren't terribly uncommon, can be a huge pain to troubleshoot from computer to computer, and are the root of a lot of my reticence around USB audio interfaces in general (though I've had few/no problems with my Focusrite, but I'm also not on Windows). Though the main culprit is actually Windows. The way it handles audio is just... bad. Like, my system volume can't be set any higher than 10% or it's painfully loud, and the official response from Microsoft was "yeah, sometimes that happens. It's best to plug in some speakers with physical volume control in between your tower and your headphones." Basically sometimes, for utterly arcane reasons, Windows will decide that it just doesn't like your mic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah that part was really cool, when that bad guy in red closest to the screen had a direct opening to slash Rey right in the back, and he realizes the choreography is hosed up, so he intentionally adjusts to whiff his swing with the staff so he can go down like a common mook, and it somehow made it into the final cut of the film that was released in theaters. I really stood up and cheered and was blown away by Rey's inherent ability in the force to deflect blows by sheer force of thought, it really made me invested in that character's fate.
What kind of dickhole stands up in the theatre during an action scene.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Taintrunner posted:

Something basically nobody noticed at the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that scene would've been better if it was the knights of ren especially cuz johnson said if he had them in the movie he woulda killed them. well there was your chance, guy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Disney buying Star Wars was Star Wars "being saved," though. The franchise had been a dumpster fire for many years before that sale went through with the sole exception of the CG Clone Wars cartoon, and that's including attendant media like games and novels.

You say "this is the best that Star Wars is going to be under the Mouse," as if there was some better alternative.

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I liked the part in Empire when the flying snowspeeders charged the giant walking mechs with giant guns only mounted on their front from the front. This really helped solidify Luke and the rebels as smart people who could definitely win against the empire.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They put a moisture farmer boy from a dirt planet who shoots rats for fun in a fighter craft equipped with an advanced targeting computer and proton torpedoes on the assault on the enemies super weapon that will kill them all on the planet if they fail.

Who signed off on that poo poo?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

smdh it's like shooting womp rats you noob.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

They put a moisture farmer boy from a dirt planet who shoots rats for fun in a fighter craft equipped with an advanced targeting computer and proton torpedoes on the assault on the enemies super weapon that will kill them all on the planet if they fail.

Who signed off on that poo poo?

Randy Quaid flew crop dusters and then anally probed a spaceship with an f-18.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Randy Quaid flew crop dusters and then anally probed a spaceship with an f-18.

In the original version of the scene it’s a biplane.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looper was a bad movie.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Oh, well if there was a mistake, that takes away the coolness of seeing a fun jedi teamup against a lot of bad guys, a fight scene with some character development to it, and the fact that my inner 12-year-old was squealing with delight at finally seeing a girl get to kick major rear end with a lightsaber. I guess now the movie's completely ruined because a chaotic fight scene involving multiple doodz had a mistake I never noticed in it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thats seems about right. you need a life outside the internet. especially if its your job. its why if i ever start some kinda internet show(probably podcast with a friend or two) it will be as fun hobby, not to get rich or some poo poo.

WampaLord posted:

It's insane and sadly I think a whole lot of it is driven by "a purple haired lady yelled at a man and that made me feel bad deep inside"

ehh. thats unfair. not all of the movies hatred is driven by chud bullshit. alot of themes and scenes didnt work well or were dumb as poo poo. holdo was fine but the whole conflict between her and poe felt kinda forced and dumb. plus the low speed chase thing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Clearly it was either Tag or Bink in the emperor's guard costume and they whiffed on purpose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I immediately had to think of Spoony. I'm guessing he was just one of the first to spiral down because of mental health problems / burnout syndrome. Fascinating, in a sad way. Now more and more follow him into the abyss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WampaLord posted:

Part of the problem with the discussion is the actual real issue with that scene skews close enough to that that it can get muddled as a single general opinion. And I do think, aside from a faulty setup, that the movie itself is quite good. The actual issue with the scene in question is with her keeping the crew in the dark on the plan serves no purpose. They are it for the Resistance, and it's a plan with a future that a despairing and desperate crew can get behind. As of the movie's setup, all anyone can otherwise see including the audience is that they are just going to run down the fuel tank with no plan at all. Maybe give the crew at least some kind of inference or instruction that there's an operation going, because apparently several people have tried to bail in escape pods already under the assumption there isn't one, and it causes a near-shipwide mutiny in the end under said general assumption of there being no plan :shrug:.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the problem with the discussion is the actual real issue with that scene skews close enough to that that it can get muddled as a single general opinion. And I do think, aside from a faulty setup, that the movie itself is quite good. The actual issue with the scene in question is with her keeping the crew in the dark on the plan serves no purpose. They are it for the Resistance, and it's a plan with a future that a despairing and desperate crew can get behind. As of the movie's setup, all anyone can otherwise see including the audience is that they are just going to run down the fuel tank with no plan at all. Maybe give the crew at least some kind of inference or instruction that there's an operation going, because apparently several people have tried to bail in escape pods already under the assumption there isn't one, and it causes a near-shipwide mutiny in the end under said general assumption of there being no plan :shrug:.

this. my other issue was the whole finn and rose plot line. i liked finn a ton in TFA but they just give him the same arc again but this time love conquers all or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

I immediately had to think of Spoony. I'm guessing he was just one of the first to spiral down because of mental health problems / burnout syndrome. Fascinating, in a sad way. Now more and more follow him into the abyss.

yeah. i can only immagine how stressful some of this stuff must be. compound that with private stuff and mental health issues. i feel bad for some of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gotta suck hard for the people that hit it big before you could really make a living off it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holdo was keeping Poe out of the loop because last time he’d been invited in on a plan (scarcely a couple of hours beforehand) he’d hosed it up spectacularly and cost them a shitload of irreplaceable people and irreplaceable weapons. It was an attempt at damage-limitation when dealing with a proven fuckup - sure, it didn’t work, but could anyone have foreseen the circuitous lengths Poe and his buddies would go to to execute their own, terrible idea? Plus, they still didn’t know how they were being tracked, so they had to keep information tight in case there was a traitor on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. my other issue was the whole finn and rose plot line. i liked finn a ton in TFA but they just give him the same arc again.

It's not a hard premise to fix either, and still keep in line with the movie's general message of failure. Have Holdo tell Poe the plan, and let her authorize his scheme as a mission. As it stands, they still have the ditch-the-ship plan in place, but for the cost of 1-2 people and an escape pod they could just maybe manage to save their last capital ship. It still has the ticking clock premise, and it makes the failures/delays all the more personal because now they actually have the last dying flickers of hope in the Resistance riding on their potential success instead of just feeling smug about having a plan while their CO evidently doesn't.

Darth Walrus posted:

Holdo was keeping Poe out of the loop because last time he’d been invited in on a plan (scarcely a couple of hours beforehand) he’d hosed it up spectacularly and cost them a shitload of irreplaceable people and irreplaceable weapons. It was an attempt at damage-limitation when dealing with a proven fuckup - sure, it didn’t work, but could anyone have foreseen the circuitous lengths Poe and his buddies would go to to execute their own, terrible idea? Plus, they still didn’t know how they were being tracked, so they had to keep information tight in case there was a traitor on board.

Pretty sure the guy that just killed a capital ship to buy time for their retreat and has worked his way up to a squadron-leading position over several years isn't a traitor :ssh:.